• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI X99s Sli Plus Issue?

scarletrosaria

Hi, I has my PC built about a year ago and up until a couple of days it's been working properly. Now out of nowhere I turn it on it would go into a boot loop where it would power on for a few seconds, shut off and then power on again on its own. I reset the CMOS which stopped it from looping but the computer still wont boot up or display anything on the screen. I don't hear any beeps either. Even with no ram on the board. I've already tried reseating the ram and that doesnt seem to fix it, so I'm looking for some more tech support.

Here are my specs:

MSI X99S SLI Plus LGA 2011-v3
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4
EVGA SuperNOVA 850
EVGA GeForce GTX 980
Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core

(I'm by no means a tech expert so I put my specs in relations to what I purchased at that time. If you need any more information, let me know!)

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Could be anything really. Try a single stick of ram, disconnect all HDD's and other junk plugged in. If that works add more ram in until you have found what makes it no post.

Processor 7900
Motherboard Rampage Apex
Cooling H115i
Memory 64GB TridentZ 3200 14-14-14-34-1T
Video Card(s) Fury X
Case Corsair 740
Audio Device(s) 8ch LPCM via HDMI to Yamaha Z7 Receiver
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse G903
Keyboard G810
Software 8.1 x64
Man that board doesnt have boot code readout or even boot status leds!!!! Asus has spoiled me!

Do you have another computer that you can use to atleast test the video card and power supply?

Any other history you can give on this system? Built from all new parts? any overclocking?

*Edited so bill doesnt make me derail this thread any farther*

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
or even boot status leds!!!! Asus has spoiled me!
Most don't have LEDs, including most ASUS boards.
I don't hear any beeps either.
Did you used to? I note many motherboards don't come with an integrated piezoelectric "button" speaker and virtually no case does these days :(. If your motherboard has a speaker then you should have heard a single, short beep before when all was working correctly indicating a successful POST (power on self test).

That said, if your board does not have such speaker, all ATX compliant motherboards do support "system speakers" via their front panel I/O headers (where the case's power and reset switches connect to the motherboard). It is very easy to add an inexpensive System Speaker. I keep a supply of these on hand and include one in all our builds when motherboards don't have a integrated speaker.

I agree with cdawall. Start by removing all but one (or go by pairs) of memory and see what happens. Perhaps by a process of elimination, you can find a bad stick. Be sure to unplug the computer from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior BEFORE reaching in for the RAM or touching the sticks.

I would also borrow a spare, good PSU to swap in there. This is essential before spending money on anything else as everything inside depends on quality power.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
looks like from psu but better you recheck it again

scarletrosaria

Man that board doesnt have boot code readout or even boot status leds!!!! Asus has spoiled me!

Do you have another computer that you can use to atleast test the video card and power supply?

Any other history you can give on this system? Built from all new parts? any overclocking?
Yep, all brand new parts from newegg and no overclocking.

Did you used to? I note many motherboards don't come with an integrated piezoelectric "button" speaker and virtually no case does these days :(. If your motherboard has a speaker then you should have heard a single, short beep before when all was working correctly indicating a successful POST (power on self test).

That said, if your board does not have such speaker, all ATX compliant motherboards do support "system speakers" via their front panel I/O headers (where the case's power and reset switches connect to the motherboard). It is very easy to add an inexpensive System Speaker. I keep a supply of these on hand and include one in all our builds when motherboards don't have a integrated speaker.

I agree with cdawall. Start by removing all but one (or go by pairs) of memory and see what happens. Perhaps by a process of elimination, you can find a bad stick. Be sure to unplug the computer from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior BEFORE reaching in for the RAM or touching the sticks.

I would also borrow a spare, good PSU to swap in there. This is essential before spending money on anything else as everything inside depends on quality power.

And okay, I'll try connecting a a speaker to it to test it out. My speaker was in the monitor but since it doesnt connect with it I'll try.

And I've tried putting in different ram and changing their arrangement as well as going one by one and still no dice.

I'll try and see if my dad has another PSU I can test it out with.

Processor 7900
Motherboard Rampage Apex
Cooling H115i
Memory 64GB TridentZ 3200 14-14-14-34-1T
Video Card(s) Fury X
Case Corsair 740
Audio Device(s) 8ch LPCM via HDMI to Yamaha Z7 Receiver
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse G903
Keyboard G810
Software 8.1 x64
I'll try and see if my dad has another PSU I can test it out with.

If the PSU swap doesnt fix this issue can your dad test your video card is in his computer or maybe test his working video card in your board? This will help to narrow it down to either the motherboard or CPU and at that point I think I would RMA the board.

Most don't have LEDs, including most ASUS boards.

Thanks bill! I'm sorry if you thought I was implying every board asus has ever made has this feature.

Oh and I'm sure you already know this, but yea every x99 board from asus has some sort of boot status led and most z170 boards have it aswell. You should upgrade your current board and get something like the ASUS Z170-A which has these troubleshooting LEDs can will save you tons of time by pinpointing where in the boot order the board gets stuck at.

*Edit: On Topic*

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
My speaker was in the monitor but since it doesnt connect with it I'll try.
Yeah speakers in monitors are for "Windows" sounds. The "system" speaker is specifically for BIOS beep tones - sounds that originate at the hardware level, well before the OS and drivers via the boot drive are ever touched.
and most z170 boards have it aswell.
I cannot speak about "every" ASUS X99 boards - though I doubt that is correct simply because LEDs on the motherboard is a luxury feature and most boards are not high-end boards. But I'll take your word on it because I am too lazy right now to do the research.

But as an owner of several Z170 boards and even more Z170 builds, I do know that most Z170 boards do not have LEDs because again, LEDs are luxury items, found on higher end boards and most boards, by far, are not high end boards.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I cannot speak about "every" ASUS X99 boards - though I doubt that is correct simply because LEDs on the motherboard is a luxury feature and most boards are not high-end boards. But I'll take your word on it because I am too lazy right now to do the research.
Yeah, most ASUS boards have four LEDs to indicate which part of the boot the board is in. Also, this isn't really considered a luxury thing at this point... I'd say at least 60% of motherboards now have some form of POST display or a series of four LEDs for POST indicators. Do also keep in mind the whole RGB madness in current products. ASUS calls this POST LED implementation "Q-LED". Only ASUS's cheapest Z170 board do not have this, but if it costs more than $110, it's got it. MSI is also pretty good at having similar, and ASRock too. ASRock boards are actually more likely to have a dual-digit POST display rather than just the four LEDs.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair