• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Speed Shift Technology Skylake

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Just to clear up some information in this old thread, Speed Shift is a feature of Intel Skylake CPUs, mobile and desktop. It was originally only going to be available in Windows 10, 10586 or newer but because Speed Shift is a feature of the CPU, it can be enabled in any version of Windows. You could also enable Speed Shift in Linux by changing MSR 0x770 from 0 to 1. The easy way to do this in Windows is to download the latest version of ThrottleStop from TechPowerUp, click on the TPL button, check the Speed Shift option and hit Apply or OK. Once enabled within the processor, you can exit ThrottleStop and Speed Shift will remain enabled until you use Sleep, Hibernate or reboot.

ThrottleStop also lets you access the Speed Shift - Energy Performance Preference (EPP) setting. This can be adjusted from 0 to 255 which gives a user full control of their CPU so they can switch between full performance or maximum energy savings or anywhere in between.

If you are the type of person that always runs their CPU at maximum MHz then Speed Shift is not for you. If you usually use the Windows Balanced power profile then you should consider turning on Speed Shift instead. Compared to the Windows Balanced profile, Speed Shift does a better job managing the CPU and it will increase off idle performance.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Just to clear up some information in this old thread, Speed Shift is a feature of Intel Skylake CPUs, mobile and desktop. It was originally only going to be available in Windows 10, 10586 or newer but because Speed Shift is a feature of the CPU, it can be enabled in any version of Windows. You could also enable Speed Shift in Linux by changing MSR 0x770 from 0 to 1. The easy way to do this in Windows is to download the latest version of ThrottleStop from TechPowerUp, click on the TPL button, check the Speed Shift option and hit Apply or OK. Once enabled within the processor, you can exit ThrottleStop and Speed Shift will remain enabled until you use Sleep, Hibernate or reboot.

ThrottleStop also lets you access the Speed Shift - Energy Performance Preference (EPP) setting. This can be adjusted from 0 to 255 which gives a user full control of their CPU so they can switch between full performance or maximum energy savings or anywhere in between.

If you are the type of person that always runs their CPU at maximum MHz then Speed Shift is not for you. If you usually use the Windows Balanced power profile then you should consider turning on Speed Shift instead. Compared to the Windows Balanced profile, Speed Shift does a better job managing the CPU and it will increase off idle performance.

Thats a nice feature, I have my power profile on balanced usually, didn't know how to turn Speed Shift on at first but after reading this post I got it working! :)
Thanks @unclewebb !
:peace:

System Name Current System
Processor AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard asus rog crosshair vii hero (wi-fi ac)
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 16 Gigs DDR4 G.Skill 4133 B die
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT
Storage SSD M2 Sata 250, Samsung 840 250 EVO SSD, 2x 4 TB WD
Display(s) viotek gn32q 144Hrz Freesync, LG 29UM-69-P
Case Termaltake The Tower 900
Power Supply EVGA 1050 GS
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Win 10 64, 3dmark, and so on.
Benchmark Scores Just ask for my current benchmarks. Firestrike https://www.3dmark.com/fs/20129473

Woot glad I ran across this. This has been nagging at me for about a year now. I am a bit confused as I mainly run in Windows Balance...you suggested turning on Speed Shift instead....what exactly are you meaning...I enabled speed shift but is there another step I need to do?

Thanks

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Woot glad I ran across this. This has been nagging at me for about a year now. I am a bit confused as I mainly run in Windows Balance...you suggested turning on Speed Shift instead....what exactly are you meaning...I enabled speed shift but is there another step I need to do?

Thanks

You just need a Skylake CPU and ThrottleStop, once turned on speed shift you can exit the software as unclewebb said above.

System Name Current System
Processor AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard asus rog crosshair vii hero (wi-fi ac)
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 16 Gigs DDR4 G.Skill 4133 B die
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT
Storage SSD M2 Sata 250, Samsung 840 250 EVO SSD, 2x 4 TB WD
Display(s) viotek gn32q 144Hrz Freesync, LG 29UM-69-P
Case Termaltake The Tower 900
Power Supply EVGA 1050 GS
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Win 10 64, 3dmark, and so on.
Benchmark Scores Just ask for my current benchmarks. Firestrike https://www.3dmark.com/fs/20129473
You just need a Skylake CPU and ThrottleStop, once turned on speed shift you can exit the software as unclewebb said above.
That is what I thought...but wanted to make sure since I just enabled it, the way I was reading it was it was done once enabled or use it instead of windows balanced power plan.