• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Server Dell poweredge 2900 As Gaming PC !?

dolomats

Hello

As it's mentioned in the title i wanna know if i can use the
Server Dell poweredge 2900
As a Gaming PC

Spécification :

PROCESSORS INTEL XEON QUAD CORE 2.66 GHZ 8 Mo CACHE

MEMORY 8 GO (4x 2Go) DDR II 667MHZ ECC ( MAX 48 Go)

RAID CARD PERC 6I RAID 5

HDD 4 X 300 GO SAS 15K give 1.2 Terra(MAX 8 )

VGA ATI ES1000

ETHERNET 2 x BROADCOM NETXTREME II GIGABIT

CONNECTORS

6 connectors extension :

PCI Express 1 x8 - x8 with connectors x8

PCI Express 3 x4 - x4 with connectors x8

2 PCI-X x 64 bits/133 MHz - standard, PCI 3,3 v standard card PCI-X

Price : 500 € / 700 $

More information on DELL website

I know that i will need buy a better Graphical Card and maybe Sound card.

And i wanna know if it s soo mush noisy ? and if it consume soo mush more electricity ?

Thanks for your Advises

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Not worth the money, for 700 you could have a used sandybridge with a WAY better video card. I have a ES1000 on my HP server and it will not load any game at all

dolomats

Not worth the money, for 700 you could have a used sandybridge with a WAY better video card. I have a ES1000 on my HP server and it will not load any game at all
Thanks for answear still dindt buy it still thinking about ty

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1680v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Intel AIO
Memory 8x4GB DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB + 2x WD RE 4TB HDD
Display(s) HP ZR24w
Case Fractal Define XL Black
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi Uber/Sony CDP-XA20ES/Pioneer CT-656>Sony TA-F630ESD>Sennheiser HD600
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
You can use it but it's very expensive not to mention old, slow and hot. Don't even bother with servers, just build yourself a gaming machine with ~$800 and be done with it.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Thanks for answear still dindt buy it still thinking about ty

I wouldn't even think about it. It's a waste of time, money, and effort for gaming not to mention its age. Servers are not meant for gaming so you really shouldn't even be considering it imho.

System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
Even if you already had this machine for free, you'd have to invest in a sound and graphics card, probably a quieter CPU cooler, change case fans for quieter ones, butcher one of the PCI-E slots so it takes a full-length card (for VGA)... Generally not worth the trouble, and it would still be lacking in processing power for the latest games. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

dolomats

hi all

thank you all for fast and clear answer so it s defently bad deal so i found somthing else :

Dell Xps Studio Intel i5 3.2GHZ ATI 7750HD 12 GB RAM Disque dur 500GB SATA3.

price : 600$

Good Deal ?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
For the first one, no, because FB-DIMMs. They're high bandwidth, high latency which is great for server loads requiring tons of memory but terrible for gaming.

For the second one, that's a laptop? It's decent as far as laptops are concerned but I wouldn't game on it. My four year old graphics card has more than twice the performance of that 7750 HD.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
hi all

thank you all for fast and clear answer so it s defently bad deal so i found somthing else :

Good Deal ?

Are you looking to just buy a prebuilt? If not then why not build yourself and know you can upgrade and OC when you want?

dolomats

mkay guy's thank you for support seems i will build it and if i am stuck i will come back here :p

DJ R

Hello

As it's mentioned in the title i wanna know if i can use the
Server Dell poweredge 2900
As a Gaming PC

Spécification :

PROCESSORS INTEL XEON QUAD CORE 2.66 GHZ 8 Mo CACHE

MEMORY 8 GO (4x 2Go) DDR II 667MHZ ECC ( MAX 48 Go)

RAID CARD PERC 6I RAID 5

HDD 4 X 300 GO SAS 15K give 1.2 Terra(MAX 8 )

VGA ATI ES1000

ETHERNET 2 x BROADCOM NETXTREME II GIGABIT

CONNECTORS

6 connectors extension :

PCI Express 1 x8 - x8 with connectors x8

PCI Express 3 x4 - x4 with connectors x8

2 PCI-X x 64 bits/133 MHz - standard, PCI 3,3 v standard card PCI-X

Price : 500 € / 700 $

More information on DELL website

I know that i will need buy a better Graphical Card and maybe Sound card.

And i wanna know if it s soo mush noisy ? and if it consume soo mush more electricity ?

Thanks for your Advises

Sorry to bump this thread back to life, but I wanted to make this info available for future use..

I recently completed a Poweredge 2900 "Gaming Edition" build with my friend. While this did require the addition of an extra power supply, a PCI riser cable, and a plethora of adapters, the final system is a beast! There are some compatibility issues that present themselves when using a server board, but all of the parts we ended up using are fully compatible, and nothing required major modifications (hardware or software).

PowerEdge 2900 Chassis

Dual Xeon X5365 3.0Ghz Quad Core Processors (Eight Total Cores)

16GB ECC RAM

USB 3.0 PCI Card (with USB 3.0 jacks added to the front of the machine)

Gigabyte WiFi and Bluetooth Card

Dual 930W Redundant PSUs for Mainboard

Additional 750W PSU for video card and peripherals

Gigabyte 7870 HD 2GB Card

Creative Soundcard (no on-board server sound)

Crucial 256GB SSD Boot Drive

RAID 5 Array being used for storage.

While this build took a lot of trial and error to find compatible parts, and a number of adapters and other cables (to add the third PSU for example), the final result is what I like to call "the tank".

System Name Dell XPS L502X
Processor i7-2630QM
Memory 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) GT 540M
Storage WD Black 750GB @7200RPM
Display(s) LG M237WA
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
Sorry to bump this thread back to life, but I wanted to make this info available for future use..

I recently completed a Poweredge 2900 "Gaming Edition" build with my friend. While this did require the addition of an extra power supply, a PCI riser cable, and a plethora of adapters, the final system is a beast! There are some compatibility issues that present themselves when using a server board, but all of the parts we ended up using are fully compatible, and nothing required major modifications (hardware or software).

PowerEdge 2900 Chassis

16GB ECC RAM

While this build took a lot of trial and error to find compatible parts, and a number of adapters and other cables (to add the third PSU for example), the final result is what I like to call "the tank".

That's interesting, I've one one Poweredge 2900 too, just doing nothing right now, and I tough once doing all that in order to use it as "Gaming Edition". I give up that idea when I saw all the work that was gonna be needed.
Nevertheless, I'ts a nice seeing that you accomplished this. Would be nice seeing some photos of how did you manage everything, could you post some?
And, if I'm not mistaken, it took a long time to post and load the OS, how did you overcome that?

PowerEdge 2900 Chassis

16GB ECC RAM

PowerEdge 2900 Chassis

16GB ECC RAM

Now I know this may be a dumb question but is that a gaming server build or is it a gaming computer build? because I have a Dell Poweredge 2900 and I was hoping on using this chassis as a similar build xD your naming of "tank" kinda brings hope to me :D

System Name Gaming Desktop
Processor i7 6700k
Motherboard asus rog alpha
Cooling H110i
Memory Corsair Dominator 16gb DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) GTX 1080
Storage EVO 840 500gb, EVO 850 500gb, Perc 710 Raid WD RED 4tbx4
Case Corsair 500r
Power Supply Antec 850
Mouse Logitec G502
Keyboard a cheap dell
Now I know this may be a dumb question but is that a gaming server build or is it a gaming computer build? because I have a Dell Poweredge 2900 and I was hoping on using this chassis as a similar build xD your naming of "tank" kinda brings hope to me :D
you don't need most of those parts to make a gaming server.
and while i applaud the effort. those things are dang loud to be sitting in my office all day.

you don't need most of those parts to make a gaming server.
and while i applaud the effort. those things are dang loud to be sitting in my office all day.
Aswell as being really powerthirsty. 2XXX-series is usually skipped for home servers/labs/fun.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK

PowerEdge 2900 Chassis

16GB ECC RAM

3Xpower supplies over 2K? 1 video card, I think I smell smoke, I'd love to see it run and see picture's of it. Lil FYI, only need 2X power supplies. But WTF do I know!!!!!!

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
hi all

Good Deal ?

I don't know if you found anything yet or where you live, but I Newegg.com there's an HP workstation it's small form factor but it has a 3570 i5 8 GB of RAM 400+ gigabyte solid-state drive and comes with a Windows license. And sells for US$320 based on your $600 above listed system that would be $280 to buy a low-profile GPU . 750 TI low-profile would cost you about 100 bucks it would turn it into a fantastic gaming machine not the best in the world but certainly capable for around $400. My point is you could do more with less money just another option is all

whether you go with a used system, or build from scratch, just keep in mind a couple of things.

1st: what will you do with the system? dont build for what You MIGHT do, but rather what You'll definitely do, the former will have You buying a bunch of stuff you dont need.

2nd: select a budget, and stick to it.

for mid level gaming, or a "decent gaming rig" atleast capable of running all titles, maybe not @ the highest framerate, but certainly able to run them will require something along the lines of the following.....

a decent quad core, i5 2500 (k) , 4690 (k) or like. FX 8350 , 750k maybe if i remember the chip correclty..newer is better often, but not always required.

8Gb's of RAM is a Must IMO, and also a minimum for gaming, etc.

motherboards are important when You start to consider performance tuning, i.e. overclocking, etc... you dont NEED the better ones, but along with good brands and options often comes quality.

SSD's are great but again not a required component, a good Seagate barracuda 1Tb for example will work fine for gaming.

a Power supply capable of 550Watts or more (depending on GPU and PC config) here Brand and quality ARE of the utmost importance, *DO NOT BUY A CRAP PSU, DO NOT TRY to save $$ or cut corners here*

the rest is incidental, and shouldnt reallt effect the integrity of your build, but i recommend Windows something for a PC.

this build was sitting in my saved builds, from a pc my nephew and i built, and as you can see it was less than $700, and VERY capable. a decent chunk of cash could be saved if a i5 was chosen, because Xeon motherboards are pricey...

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jboydgolfer1/saved/#view=nRnHxr

heres one with an i5, and is under $530 usd.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/kg9fpb

i forgot the Power supply in both, so youd need to add $80-$100 for a good one.

Last edited:
Well it already has two stock psu units as to the specs of it im not sure but Im probably going to change them for a more updated unit so it runs cooler at a higher wattage. And im going to buy quieter cooling fans but I dont want this thing to be particularly practical, I wanna have it as something that can always be updated to the a badass box xD but I know it will be pricey.

zman44

This is interesting to read as I've just found one of these servers for £25/$30. Was thinking of attempting to do a very cheap attempt at a gaming build. DJ R - how much did you spend on your build? Worse case scenario is that there are a few good components in it I can steal for my spares shelve if I don't manage to get it going.

This is interesting to read as I've just found one of these servers for £25/$30. Was thinking of attempting to do a very cheap attempt at a gaming build. DJ R - how much did you spend on your build? Worse case scenario is that there are a few good components in it I can steal for my spares shelve if I don't manage to get it going.

Hello, honestly ima tell you this case is full of Dell Proprietary parts that will not function properly with other things you'd hope to put in a gaming rig. Even with adapter connections and other things, I just gutted mine out and put in a newer motherboard and whatnot in the case. All I gotta say is the case is large and may be worth it to you if you want to put a big graphics card in it or whatnot, but mounting things in general in this case can test your creativity, but it will all take work.. and a drill and a dremel lol But I love what It came out to be. xD its not exactly pretty though but functionality is A-1

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
Jesus Christ I just realized that this Thread was necro'd from before the Egyptians. I responded to a post above in oct that was from 2014 because some new member resurrected this thing.

Jesus Christ I just realized that this Thread was necro'd from before the Egyptians. I responded to a post above in oct that was from 2014 because some new member resurrected this thing.

Been brought back from the dead like what 2-3 times now xP

zman44

Got the guy down to £20. Going to have a look at the system anyway. It's not a lot of cash to drop on it when I know there are definitely parts in it I can pull out for spares. Saying that, I'm keen to try and do something with it. Cheap RAM aplenty on eBay for it, aounds card, an ssd from my collection and then a graphics card. Will post an update once I collect it this week.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Got the guy down to £20. Going to have a look at the system anyway. It's not a lot of cash to drop on it when I know there are definitely parts in it I can pull out for spares. Saying that, I'm keen to try and do something with it. Cheap RAM aplenty on eBay for it, aounds card, an ssd from my collection and then a graphics card. Will post an update once I collect it this week.
It's gonna be a fun, saddening ride.

G1tana

I just got my hands on one of these too for cheap and I need help lol.
It's a poweredge gen 3 2900
X5460 zeons

I did the pcie modd on the board and my gtx960 didn't work but my old gt9500 worked fine and windows even installed the right driver on a update but I needed to get the 960 working so I tried a riser cable extention I had and it worked, so dremmel out and I mounted the card on the side of the outside of the case.

Running it for about 2 weeks when I had and brain wave to fit the gt9500 and get 5gb. What stupid idea that was ands I had previously read that windows 10 don't allow it. After swapping my working gtx960 to all the other pcie slot it stopped working and I can't get it to work again.

Next I tried removing the drac ribbon cable and boom TV came on but it is now saying I to plug in the power but it's plug in, I used a spare moles that was knocking around and stole the power from the floppy. This is driving me crazy