• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

More W10 LULZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
OK, just when I thought I'd gotten over the ridiculous snoopware and restrictions of W10, I had another WTF moment last night. So I'd already turned off all the telemetry features and enabled SpyBot Anti-Beacon to immunize everything, but the core things I used were still functional.

Updates are one thing I'm still upset about. It's bad enough you can't even choose what to install and not install (only WHEN to install them), but sometimes things you turn off, like Windows Firewall, get turned back on again because of updates. So I disabled it in the Services. I find it odd W10 is fully aware if you install your own AV, only to keep pestering you if you have the Windows Firewall turned off, even if you have a perfectly good and trusted 3rd party firewall installed.

Anyway, back to updates. Last night I saw a "Cumulative update for W10" showing on the Start Menu. In checking what it actually was before Restarting, it said it was just a Security update. So I'm thinking, fine, it needs to be installed, I'll go ahead and reboot, and let it install. When Windows came back up, I no longer had the Search function. Upon further checking, I found it was because Windows Firewall had to be turned on. This also happened upon first use of W10. Before I'd used the Picture Viewer, I turned off Windows Firewall. I then was told I had to turn Windows Firewall on before that app could be installed. For the love of God, WHY???

So I disabled COMODO, and re-enabled Windows Firewall in the Services, and Started it. I actually had to search for a way to reinstall the Search function via command prompt as well, but now it's finally working again. I've left Windows Firewall on Manual in the Services menu, but turned off in it's settings, in hopes that I won't have any more update fiascoes. I'm REALLY starting to get why many hate W10.

Isn't it kinda odd that just when MS seems to be getting the idea on gaming related issues, their OS team goes nuts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Sorry to hear that. I don't have much faith in Comodo products nor recommend them, that is a statement from years of experience and frustrations with them. Really I don't recommend on-PC firewalls beyond the included iptables in Linux or Windows Firewall for Windows. Both get the job done pretty damn well and really your best firewall should be at your gateway (router).

But I understand why some folks feel the need to try something else. Really Windows Firewall is pretty solid for SoHo users in my experience. What was your qualm with it that made you go with Comodo if you don't mind me asking?

:toast:

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
What was your qualm with it that made you go with Comodo if you don't mind me asking?

First let me say that this isn't just about what firewall you use, it's about freedom of choice in general. Clearly MS are taking that away from us more and more, and it's not just in trying to force feed their firewall. You don't even have choice what updates to install. That alone, combined with TONS of snoopware in W10, makes it obvious they are more concerned about making money off cloud based services than their OS, and that they're insisting their OS be a vehicle for that. With their tendency toward snoopware, I don't trust ANY app of theirs that connects to the cloud, and that includes their firewall.

If your claim is a simple tacked on firewall is good enough, I will tell you why I disagree with that. The first reason I went with a 3rd party firewall some time ago was the MS one was inadequate. Now it's that the MS one is too obtrusive and invasive. As for COMODO being "frustrating", I have found that is usually because people don't know how to install and set it up. Upon installation I only install JUST the firewall, and after install I set it to run in training mode.

The only problems I've had since installing W10 are BECAUSE of W10 and it's snoopware and restrictions. None have been because of my 3rd party security. I mean, they even have settings now to allow or disallow use of VPNs with Windows. They still allow you to turn off UAC warnings if you choose. So why the hell do they want to force feed their built-in firewall? Maybe it's just another way of snooping. They are not being consistent or sensible in what they're doing, but clearly it's moronic to disable apps from working or installing if their firewall isn't on. It makes the reason for it look pretty suspect if you ask me.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Microsoft has minced no words in their goals of pushing their cloud services, or that they want to provide a simpler experience for folks...so I can see where those feel limiting to someone that wants more options. It is interesting what you're running into though.

On the snoopware front, this isn't the first snoopy MS OS nor will it be the last. Sure it might be the worst offender but they aren't really hiding that fact at all. Hell even Ubuntu was doing very similar until a version or two ago. Might still be for some things. On top of all the other privacy metrics that are tracked about you, what you do on your OS is a pretty small deal unless you have something to be concerned about. I do understand those feeling their privacy has been violated...but in reality what you thought was private really hasn't been in some time or wasn't nearly as private as you'd thought it was. I've let out some large posts about that in the Windows 10 thread though so I won't fill your thread up with that here.

I assure you, that Comodo's failures for AV, firewall and backup solutions are because of their QA and design/programming issues. Frankly, I have no issues setting up Comodo, but babysitting it to make sure it keeps doing what its supposed to isn't worth my time when there's better, more consistent solutions available for home and professional use. Comodo's disappointments in my experience have been purely of their own failed designs. I'd rather use Microsoft's firewall over Comodo's any day of the week. But to each their own. ;)

I can understand your frustration with those issues seemingly caused by Windows Firewall, but I assure you Windows Firewall isn't total shit at least from my perspective. In the XP days things were different...but honestly Windows Firewall has been pretty decent and manageable since 7 and Vista IMHO. Not saying it's the BEST OS software solution, I'll leave that to Linux's IP Tables that is the firewall standard for many firewall's, and third party or open source solutions such as PFSense, OPNSense, DD-WRT, Utangle, etc.

Microsoft has been pushing their options for decades...remember the big issues folks had when they realized they could not uninstall Internet Explorer because it was integrated in the OS? This is nothing new, nor all that surprising. Doesn't make it any less frustrating for some I guess...maybe it's a bigger issue for those that want more moddability of their OS, which they should really be on a Linux distro if that's the case. But there's a lot Linux doesn't have that Windows does...though that gap is getting smaller and smaller. Plus recent distro releases

This is the first case I've heard of a 3rd party firewall install or disabled Windows 10 firewall cause the specific Start Menu Search/Cortana issues. I have seen that same issue and repaired it using the PowerShell repair command which I have in the 7/8/10 repair thread. If that issue continues, I'd recommend you check that out and see if it helps at all. Hopefully it helps if you need to.

It is interesting that they locked it down to the point you couldn't install or use picture viewer. I'm intrigued by this issue so much so I might have to try it...so you said you had to re-enable Microsoft Firewall to install picture viewer? Had you removed it? Or was that a stupified Windows error for an app that was already installed but just wouldn't run right until re-enabling the firewall occurred?

Allowing and disallowing VPN's depends on what you mean here...sure you can stop it over metered connections or roaming connections but that's worth a grain of salt in many cases. There's the integrated VPN client in 10 which I'm not happy with because it pushes you through extra windows to manage/config it versus 8.1 and 7, but it works well so it is what it is. But it is easy enough to connect a system to a VPN tunnel using the Windows service. I haven't had any third party VPN issues either, OpenVPN, Opera, PIA, etc. So far at least, no complaints. But this really is apples to oranges in comparison to Windows Firewall, as that's something more required to have to prevent security issues and lawsuits... VPN access really has little to do with it unless you need to push a specific port through the firewall itself. VPN's aren't a necessity for many...firewalls should and pretty much are a requirement these days.

Really I can see them locking things down tighter in regards to firewalls to keep it in control, keep it more in-check...not that it makes it right, when you disable it you should be able to use your own option. Maybe they realize Comodo's software is shit too and that's the grief you're getting...I doubt it though because that'd be grounds for a lawsuit on their part.

Regardless I may have to test it out myself, I'm curious if other 3rd party firewalls are having the same issues you're reporting of Comodo...definitely something to look out for...and hell maybe the culprit is the latest cumulative update that was just released. Worth looking into.

System Name X99
Processor 5930K @ 4.7GHz @ 1.323v
Motherboard Rampage V Edition 10
Cooling EK
Memory Dominator Platinum 32GB
Video Card(s) 2x Gigabyte xtreme gaming 980ti
Storage Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 850 Pro & WD320
Display(s) Tempest X270OC @100Hz
Case Thermaltake Core P5
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply 120-G2-1600-X1
Mouse Mamba 2012
Keyboard K70
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6823139
OOSU10 works the best to trurn off telemetry.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.

But updates will or at least can turn the shit back on. Had the crap just this morning while checking my wifes PC half the shits back on.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
This is the first case I've heard of a 3rd party firewall install or disabled Windows 10 firewall cause the specific Start Menu Search/Cortana issues. I have seen that same issue and repaired it using the PowerShell repair command which I have in the 7/8/10 repair thread. If that issue continues, I'd recommend you check that out and see if it helps at all.
Actually that article I found that I referred to earlier in searching for how to re-enable Search involved using the PowerShell.

It is interesting that they locked it down to the point you couldn't install or use picture viewer. I'm intrigued by this issue so much so I might have to try it...so you said you had to re-enable Microsoft Firewall to install picture viewer?
Yep, it referred to it as "in order to install this package" or something like that.

VPN access really has little to do with it unless you need to push a specific port through the firewall itself.
I didn't say or even imply VPNs have anything to do with the Windows Firewall. I was merely using it as one of many examples where they are flexible with security, but the exact opposite with their own firewall. You could have completely omitted that whole wall of text paragraph.

Say what you want about Comodo, but I seriously doubt it was the cause of this. Seems to me you just assume it is because obviously you have a hate toward it. Any HIPS based firewall is going to require more user interaction, that should be expected. If you want less protection, use a simpler system, but blaming Comodo for what all HIPS based firewalls require is silly. Calling it crap is like me calling you lazy for not wanting to bother with it.

If you mean keep some telemetry items you turn off from turning back on, some will always do that as AsRock said, and SpyBot Anti-Beacon is the only tool I've seen that re-immunizes with each restart.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
But updates will or at least can turn the shit back on. Had the crap just this morning while checking my wifes PC half the shits back on.
It's alive

System Name X99
Processor 5930K @ 4.7GHz @ 1.323v
Motherboard Rampage V Edition 10
Cooling EK
Memory Dominator Platinum 32GB
Video Card(s) 2x Gigabyte xtreme gaming 980ti
Storage Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 850 Pro & WD320
Display(s) Tempest X270OC @100Hz
Case Thermaltake Core P5
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply 120-G2-1600-X1
Mouse Mamba 2012
Keyboard K70
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6823139

OOSU10 will detect the changes & ask if you would like to apply the changes to the telemetry after windows has updated.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually that article I found that I referred to earlier in searching for how to re-enable Search involved using the PowerShell.

Yep, it referred to it as "in order to install this package" or something like that.

I didn't say or even imply VPNs have anything to do with the Windows Firewall. I was merely using it as one of many examples where they are flexible with security, but the exact opposite with their own firewall. You could have completely omitted that whole wall of text paragraph.

Say what you want about Comodo, but I seriously doubt it was the cause of this. Seems to me you just assume it is because obviously you have a hate toward it. Any HIPS based firewall is going to require more user interaction, that should be expected. If you want less protection, use a simpler system, but blaming Comodo for what all HIPS based firewalls require is silly. Calling it crap is like me calling you lazy for not wanting to bother with it.

Obvious hate? LOL! That's a bit dramatic and silly! Disappointed is much more like it. Don't take your issues out on me dude. I'm more interested in the actual problems you're having than your drama. Lastly, it is not your fault I dislike Comodo products, get over it. I am.

Seems you have a strong dislike with Windows 10 that you like to advertise, why not go back to 7 or 8 or jump to Linux?

Nothing wrong with managing a firewall solution, in fact anyone more advanced in PC management, networking and IT absolutely should be doing so.

Really, if you're going to run a firewall and invest and time and resources towards one, it should be done at the gateway of your network...not at one PC. It would negate needing a more complex software firewall solution on your PC's while offering more abilities and capabilities when setup correctly. Having more advanced control over the network and its security is absolutely worth it over a local software firewall, period.

Why not invest that time and effort into a solution that is far more effective, efficient and capable, that also protects your entire network instead of one PC?

Maybe you do...but then what would be the point of spending time babysitting..err managing the firewalls on your PC and router/firewall along with more PC and PC network resources? There wouldn't be.

Why not deploy a setup with PFSense, Linux, or Sophos or similiar and setup and manage a proxy solution with caching like Squid?

Why not toss in some IDS and IPS action with Snort, filtering WAN and LAN, really stepping up security and protection to your entire network and all of your systems, protecting them even from themselves?

Why not add some DNS filtering too of you haven't? Something that could prove useful and effective when other solutions fail.

Why not do all of that and enjoy better security all around? Hell you'll even free up some resources on your PC...sounds like a win-win to me! :D

Let me know if you're ever interested, I'd be glad to share some information with you and lend some links, resources and tips for more advanced gateway configurations and deployments. Helpful tips for IDS/IPS, which is totally worth doing IMHO. Maybe you already have experience in that arena...maybe you don't. Either way the offer's there.

For the record, I've done the same cumulative update on all the PCs, laptops and VMs at home and in the office..something close to 20 machines of varying ages and brands...not a single issue. I must have better luck!

Sorry your luck seems in the shitter ATM with your firewall choices vs Microsoft's choices and updates. Hopefully you get it sorted. :toast:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
OOSU10 will detect the changes & ask if you would like to apply the changes to the telemetry after windows has updated.

Most if not all programs will see the changes if you re run the program, point is you have to keep checking as MS keep turning them back on.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Sorry your luck seems in the shitter ATM with your firewall choices vs Microsoft's choices...
Oh PLEEEASE, you come off with all this drama against Comodo, then accuse me of the same for just pointing it out and saying why I prefer it, then you toss in this little passive aggressive gem like you're sorry I chose the wrong firewall, instead of using MS'.

Judging from your tone, sarcasm, MS fanboyism and emoticons, I get the feeling you're drunk every time you post. I choose to ignore you from now on. I have better things to do than babysit an obvious troll. I really don't need "tips" from an antagonist. I can barely keep from laughing at the thought of it.

If you can't see that MS is blundering badly with W10, you're clearly the one needing tips. And LULZ at the thought of a gamer using Linux. You really don't have a clue do you? Don't bother responding to any more of my posts/threads, because I won't see it, and it's not like I'll be missing anything.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
o_O

K. Bye!

I'll be here sober and ready to help when you get over yourself, your drama and your pride. If you ever un-ignore me and read this, feel free to strike up an adult conversation. Or not. Your choice.

:toast:

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
System Name Daily Driver/Part Time
Processor Core i7-13700K/Ryzen R5-7600
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX/Asrock B650 Pro RS Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT AIO/Deep Cool LS-520 White
Memory Patriot 2x16GB DDR5-7200/XPG Lancer Blade 2X16GB DDR-5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX-4080 Super/Sapphire Radeon RX-7800XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 2TB/KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 NVMe/Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW
Case Corsair 5000d AirFlow/Asus AP201 White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine D1 DAC/Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1K Watt/Seagotep 750W
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Adata XPG Summoner
Software Win11 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores Xbox Live Gamertag=jondonken
Well since we cannot have a civilize conversation in general, closing up shop:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.