• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Graphene Processors

System Name Harley
Processor Intel core i7 3820
Motherboard ASRock Extreme6 X79
Cooling NZXT Kraken X60
Memory Geil Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600+ 16GB
Video Card(s) EVGA SuperClocked GTX Titan
Storage OCZ Vertex4 128GB SSD / Toshiba 7200 2TB HDD
Display(s) Crossover 30" 2560x1600
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB - Custom Modded
Audio Device(s) n/a
Power Supply CoolerMaster Silent Pro Hybrid 1300w
Software Win7 64
Been a long long time since i have started a thread here, so first i would like to say this looks a bit weird making this post (page that you use to create a thread/post)

anyhoot, for a few years now we have been reading on the advancements of graphene. it will have many uses in the not too distant future, as its one of if not the strongest material known to mankind, with lots of other great properties. one of those properties is how it can be used to make processors (with a very friendly flow of electrons) that are not only way faster than our current silicone chips, but would also be much smaller and require much less power.

Raise your hand if you have an Amazon Fire for your TV. It is slightly bigger than my wallet (since i dont keep cash in there). That will be the size of your desktop many years down the road, or maybe even smaller, such as a thumbdrive that you just plug into the back of your screen (if we even use them)

moving this along, I am asking your opinion as to how much longer we will have to wait for the first batch of graphene processors to hit the market that will be mainstream and capable of being used for our every day activities, such as reading this post here, watching netflix, playing games, catching up on news, etc etc.

Some of the older articles out there from 2014-2016 suggest that IBM may have it out by 2019, but that just does not seem realistic yet as I have not seen any good articles backing that claim up now that a couple of years have past.

I can only hope that by 2025, we can finally get our hands on this new tech, lets face it, we aint getting any younger.

Reported speeds for these chips are freakish, even at the low end of the spectrum. I have seen reports of them being able to handle 30GHz, up to 1THz. I will take anything in that range for sure, as i would imaging most of you would be happy with just 6GHz.

Its really fascinating to think of, all the possibilities that is. Imaging playing a game that looked 99%+ like real life. something that just isnt possible today because our GPU's just can't handle the amount of processing it would take to do so, increased those speeds by 10,000, or more....and it just might be possible. But those artists who would be making said games, would have soo much more work on their hands, so perhaps we would need a compromise.....98% sounds good.

Our monitors may also use graphene, as they are working on that as we speak as well. graphene pixels, hmm, not exactly sure how that would work, but i would imagine 4k would be like pong on Atari compared to this tech.

So I say 2025, what year do you predict ??

r9

System Name Primary|Secondary|Poweredge r410|Dell XPS|SteamDeck
Processor i7 11700k|i7 9700k|2 x E5620 |i5 5500U|Zen 2 4c/8t
Memory 32GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|32GB ECC DDR3|8GB DDR4|16GB LPDDR5
Video Card(s) RX 7800xt|RX 6700xt |On-Board|On-Board|8 RDNA 2 CUs
Storage 2TB m.2|512GB SSD+1TB SSD|2x256GBSSD 2x2TBGB|256GB sata|512GB nvme
Display(s) 50" 4k TV | Dell 27" |22" |3.3"|7"
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+ | Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro
Been a long long time since i have started a thread here, so first i would like to say this looks a bit weird making this post (page that you use to create a thread/post)

anyhoot, for a few years now we have been reading on the advancements of graphene. it will have many uses in the not too distant future, as its one of if not the strongest material known to mankind, with lots of other great properties. one of those properties is how it can be used to make processors (with a very friendly flow of electrons) that are not only way faster than our current silicone chips, but would also be much smaller and require much less power.

Raise your hand if you have an Amazon Fire for your TV. It is slightly bigger than my wallet (since i dont keep cash in there). That will be the size of your desktop many years down the road, or maybe even smaller, such as a thumbdrive that you just plug into the back of your screen (if we even use them)

moving this along, I am asking your opinion as to how much longer we will have to wait for the first batch of graphene processors to hit the market that will be mainstream and capable of being used for our every day activities, such as reading this post here, watching netflix, playing games, catching up on news, etc etc.

Some of the older articles out there from 2014-2016 suggest that IBM may have it out by 2019, but that just does not seem realistic yet as I have not seen any good articles backing that claim up now that a couple of years have past.

I can only hope that by 2025, we can finally get our hands on this new tech, lets face it, we aint getting any younger.

Reported speeds for these chips are freakish, even at the low end of the spectrum. I have seen reports of them being able to handle 30GHz, up to 1THz. I will take anything in that range for sure, as i would imaging most of you would be happy with just 6GHz.

Its really fascinating to think of, all the possibilities that is. Imaging playing a game that looked 99%+ like real life. something that just isnt possible today because our GPU's just can't handle the amount of processing it would take to do so, increased those speeds by 10,000, or more....and it just might be possible. But those artists who would be making said games, would have soo much more work on their hands, so perhaps we would need a compromise.....98% sounds good.

Our monitors may also use graphene, as they are working on that as we speak as well. graphene pixels, hmm, not exactly sure how that would work, but i would imagine 4k would be like pong on Atari compared to this tech.

So I say 2025, what year do you predict ??

I'm guessing this is related to IBM quantum cpu.
Last thing I've read was that they send out some sorts of developer kits to developers.
So when the thing is ready there will be adequate understating on how to code for it.
Sending developer kits sound like they made some advances but I would not hold my breath.
Especially because from what I've read so far is that they plan first to build one for them and just charge for service.
I will be surprised if I see one on my desk in my lifetime.

interfector13

You won't get graphene cpu's any time soon because graphene while being an excellent conductor, doesn't have a bandgap like silicon which means it doesn't have semiconductor properties need to make a functioning transistor. Carbon nanotubes are an attempt to circumvent this by creating the necessary bandgap for a switching transistor.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I keep hearing about new materials being worked on by scientists such as Carbon Nanotubes and Graphene for transistors. There are problems that need to be ironed out but I do believe that new materials will replace Silicon and is the way forward in the future rather than more and more cores on the average PC using Silicon. I read an article a couple of years ago that claimed that a Carbon Nanotube transistor has the potential of being 5 times faster than silicon while using 5 times less power. Here's the most recent article that I have read on the subject

https://arstechnica.com/science/201...s-push-up-against-quantum-uncertainty-limits/

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
There is one important detail to take into consideration , although these things might be perfectly feasible for the future of ICs , it's going to take an insane amount of cash and time for manufacturers such as TSMC to convert or develop their production lines in order to make these new chips viable for consumer use.

System Name Custom Built
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME A520M-A
Cooling Stock heatsink/fan
Memory 16GB 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz
Video Card(s) MSI 1050Ti 4GB
Storage KINGSTON SNVS250G 256GB M.2 + 2 data disks
Display(s) Dell S2421NX
Case Aerocool CS103
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Seasonic M12II-520 EVO
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Quantum computing
Graphene
Optical ICs
Carbon nanotubes

the future is interesting :D

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
You won't get graphene cpu's any time soon because graphene while being an excellent conductor, doesn't have a bandgap like silicon which means it doesn't have semiconductor properties need to make a functioning transistor. Carbon nanotubes are an attempt to circumvent this by creating the necessary bandgap for a switching transistor.
The "bandgap" problem (or "energy gap", "on-off ratio", or ability to completely shut off) for effective discrete high/low (on/off or 1/0) differentiation needed for high speed "digital" information processing is still a bit away. But it works fine now for many "analog" electronics applications.

The price to produce it just needs to come down and that will happen, as all things do, once more products reach the market.

IBM shows smallest, fastest graphene processor (and note this was written in 2011).

I agree it will still be awhile before we see graphene processors in our home computers and smart phones but it's coming, unless Black arsenic-phosphorus proves to be more viable.

System Name 1.21 gigawatts!
Processor Intel Core i7 6700K
Motherboard MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X
Cooling Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Slim with Arctic MX-4
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3000 MHz
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1080 Game Rock
Storage Mushkin Triactor 240GB + Toshiba X300 4TB + Team L3 EVO 480GB
Display(s) Philips 237E7QDSB/00 23" FHD AH-IPS
Case Aerocool Aero-1000 white + 4 Arctic F12 PWM Rev.2 fans
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio Boost 3 with Nahimic Audio Enhancer
Power Supply FSP Hydro G 650W
Mouse Cougar 700M eSports white
Keyboard E-Blue Cobra II
Software Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15: 948 (stock) / 1044 (4,7 GHz) FarCry 5 1080p Ultra: min 100, avg 116, max 133 FPS
It's all theory now, but I think that for 10 years we might have a first working graphene or phosporene CPU's. As every new tech, first examples will be bought by the military-industrial complex and a few years later they will become available to the consumers.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
It's all theory now

It's a bit more than theory. There are some functional tests being done. It's not like they are saying "hey, Graphene might exist and could be awesome," but I know, I'm splitting hairs. It's still a long way off for any normal consumer. ;)

System Name Storm Wrought | Blackwood (HTPC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x @stock | i7 2600k
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WIFI m-ITX | Some POS gigabyte board
Cooling Deepcool AK620, BQ shadow wings 3 High Spd, stock 180mm |BQ Shadow rock LP + 4x120mm Noctua redux
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x32GB 4000MHz | 2x4GB 2000MHz @1866
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6800XT Red Dragon | PNY a2000 6GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 1TB, 1TB KC3000, 850EVO 500GB, 2+8TB Seagate, LG Blu-ray | 120GB Sandisk SSD, 4TB WD red
Display(s) Samsung UJ590UDE 32" UHD monitor | LG CS 55" OLED
Case Silverstone TJ08B-E | Custom built wooden case (Aus native timbers)
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Sennheiser HD 599 cans / Logitech z163's | Edifier S2000 MKIII via toslink
Power Supply Corsair HX 750 | Corsair SF 450
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse| Some logitech one
Keyboard GMMK w/ Zelio V2 62g (78g for spacebar) tactile switches & Glorious black keycaps| Some logitech one
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Edu | Ubuntu 22.04
Benchmark Scores Look in the various benchmark threads
I don't expect to see any graphene processors before like 2025-2030, the ability to create transistors out of the graphene is just too difficult for mass production any time soon

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It's all theory now... .
...first examples will be bought by the military-industrial complex
It's a bit more than theory.
I agree. It is well beyond the theory stage. The proof is in the link I provided above. And again, that was from 6 years ago. I do agree, however, that it will first appear (if it hasn't already) in practical use through the military and that makes sense since DoD's DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) is funding IBM's research.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
I think it will only be used as specialized processors here and there as I feel they have a different path for pushing the processing power (maybe messing with time on a quantum level to manipulate the results out-put to become faster
) and we will probably see it more in different smaller less complicated parts of electronics.

Last edited:
System Name Harley
Processor Intel core i7 3820
Motherboard ASRock Extreme6 X79
Cooling NZXT Kraken X60
Memory Geil Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600+ 16GB
Video Card(s) EVGA SuperClocked GTX Titan
Storage OCZ Vertex4 128GB SSD / Toshiba 7200 2TB HDD
Display(s) Crossover 30" 2560x1600
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB - Custom Modded
Audio Device(s) n/a
Power Supply CoolerMaster Silent Pro Hybrid 1300w
Software Win7 64
I think it will only be used as specialized processors here and there as I feel they have a different path for pushing the processing power (maybe messing with time on a quantum level to manipulate the results out-put to become faster
) and we will probably see it more in different smaller less complicated parts of electronics.

interesting video lol, that stuff is so far beyond my comprehension level that i find parts to be unbelievable, mainly the "tapping into" parallel universes.
when he said we could steal their resources, i wonder if he thought of the consequences. if it is a parallel universe, and we could steal from them......they could steal from us what we stole from them.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
I saw on The List TV show yesterday they were saying Hemp fibers would actually perform as good if not better than graphene in semiconductors, and of course be MUCH cheaper to manufacture. Another plus is it's completely biodegradable and sustainable.

In doing some fact checking apparently there is something to it. https://www.google.com/#q=hemp+better+than+graphene?

On the segment they also said (and showed via a blow torch) that hemp doesn't even burn, so I tend to think computer chips made of it would handle temps well too. That includes not just compressed hemp products such as "Hempcrete", an alternative to cinder blocks, but also hemp fibers used for insulation. I think we all know how valuable naturally fireproof construction materials would be, vs ones that have to be chem treated just to be fire retardant.

I appreciate that scientists often think outside the box of what is possible, but they tend to usually think via the most expensive methods, which are also sometimes less practical in other ways. I can't help but think it's because they are usually funded by large corporations that are more concerned about cornering a market than really contributing to society and planet Earth.

I'm not advocating tree huggers should be in control of scientific research, but clearly some balance is needed. This opens up all sorts of potential for humorous ads. I can just see the graphene scientists banging their heads in the lab over the obstacles they face, only to have a pot smoking hippie walk in with a hemp chip supercomputer laptop saying, "Why don't you just use weed man?" It's literally like stuff from the old Cheech and Chong movies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Libor44

Quantum computing
Graphene
Optical ICs
Carbon nanotubes

the future is interesting :D

Yup, what is the best about it that it isn't just an interesting laboratory experiment anymore but a full grown industry. You have companies tailoring these nano-materials in mass so basically any big brand can toy with it. Right now you have it everywhere from computer to snowboard. :)