• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AM4 Build...Any Suggestions before I buy today or tomorrow?

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Triple Riing
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
Video Card(s) GTX 960 SLI
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, PNY 480GB SSD, Western Digital 1T Spin Drive, 4T Seagate My cloud.
Power Supply 1200 Watt Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold
Software Win 10 64bit
I would suggest equally good and cheaper motherboard, equally good and cheaper cooler, other RAM, different storage and definitely smaller monitor because you'll have to be at least 2 meters from that monster to prevent eye damage.

Here is my suggestion: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s3wtbj
I would suggest equally good and cheaper motherboard, equally good and cheaper cooler, other RAM, different storage and definitely smaller monitor because you'll have to be at least 2 meters from that monster to prevent eye damage.

Here is my suggestion: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s3wtbj

Have you ever played on one of these 4k monitors? cause if you've had you wouldn't be telling me that...so Hell no, Im actually getting three of theses monitors after i finish the new rig.

1) Isn't there a way to utilize that Dell case? They're usually well-made and this one is fairly nice visually.
That NZXT was a great case when released (2012?), but I think there are more interesting options available today.
And I really don't like the looks. Will you be fine with them? Your Dell is IMO way nicer (maybe "elegant" is the right word).

2) As already mentioned: while ASUS ROG is a complete and good mobo, there are some cheaper alternatives.

3) Be careful with that RAM. QVL says it has to be v4.31. You should google "Ryzen Samsung b-die" for more information on that issue.
Or get something safe. :)

4) The heatsink is an overkill unless you plan some serious OC - which would be quite pointless, anyway. Honestly, until you get a much better GPU, Ryzen 1700 won't need any overclocking at all.
You could easily stay with the Wraith for the time being.

5) If you don't plan to make this SSD-only, get a smaller disk. 1TB is so much you'll end up filling it with movies and photos.
It's always better to have more smaller disks (especially since you're not very limited by the case).
And 1TB SSDs are very expensive - not worth the money at the moment. The sweet spot is ~500GB - until that price per GB goes down with larger disks, above prices scale linearly (or even worse).
I'd go for a NVMe 256GB...

Generally speaking: by selling those 960's and saving on the parts mentioned above, you should be able to afford a 1080.
It'll be much better than the pair of Maxwells and you can always get another one (and then some OC on the Ryzen would make sense)...

Funny you should say...I agree completely with you and I probably spent a couple days looking at every single case available on newegg and amazon...none really come close to the design of the XPS ssooo Im gutting this Dell XPS 720 soon as soon as I finish the new AMD build Ive had plans of painting it jet black and putting an atx mobo in it. :D

No, it's not. Have you looked at benchmarks for TLC drives? They suck. Your suggested drive is no different.

Look at that amazing sequential write performance... Averaging at less than 90MB/s. Why would any sane person want that as their OS drive?

This is not about memory chips, MTBF or failure rate, but about controller and TLC vs MLC/3D TLC/V-NAND.
TLC is by nature slow, so the manufacturers did SLC caching, but it only works for small amounts of data and only in some scenarios.

Also, the 850 EVO is only $20 more, I would get that any day over something from a small time player like Mushkin.

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OAJ412U/?tag=tec06d-20

Or

Samsung 850 PRO - 256GB (i dont mind the extra $38 if it would make it the better choice)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LMXBOP4/?tag=tec06d-20

Last edited by a moderator:

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Crosshair 6 Hero is best mobo for X370. That's best model at the moment.
I would go as well with ASUS Crosshair VI Hero. Great history, nice look, many options, best BIOS on market.
ASUS is better than anyone in high class. Best of computer hardware is ASUS.

I first learn for ASUS and than for difference between NVIDIA and AMD.
And when I asked for GPU I asked ASUS ATI Radeon, if someone say Sapphire ATI Radeon
I don't want...immediately look other store.
Than I learned that ATI Radeon is produced by many manufacturers...

Jesus chill with that bullshit. Our own motherboard reviewer here at TPU gave the AsRock Taichi a 10/10 and he has never done that to any product. The Taichi IS the best X370 board right now.

Also Asus has been going down hill in the last few years, hell I have even heard that they dont even make their own motherboards anymore. Their customer support is ass cheeks too.

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, PNY 480GB SSD, Western Digital 1T Spin Drive, 4T Seagate My cloud.
Software Win 10 64bit
That board is a little over the top for overclocking a 1700 on a stock cooler, but outside of that I see no issues. Only word of advice I have is make sure you update the BIOS.

I also wouldn't expect that ram to do 3200 with the current BIOS, the only ram doing well is samsung -b based.

Updating the BIOS on the board will be on the first things I will do when i get it up and running.

Samsung-B based Ram??

Processor R9 5950x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling EK 360mm AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16gb (CL16@3800MHz)
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe | Intel 660p 2TB NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB323QK 4K 144Hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Objective2 Amp/DAC | GoXLR | AKG K612PRO | Beyerdynamic DT880| Rode Pod Mic
Power Supply Corsair AX 850w
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite V2
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB "Cherry MX Brown"
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Window 11 Pro
System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
My build options (upgrades) are trending to 1500X + 2x8gb ddr4-2400 + Asus Prime B350 uAtx + Samsung evo 850 256gb ssd. Won't be overclocking the openSUSE linux box. Reusing case + psu + gtx 650 + 3 screens.

Used evo was $85 on Amazon this morning ...

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Software Win 10 64bit
Jesus chill with that bullshit. Our own motherboard reviewer here at TPU gave the AsRock Taichi a 10/10 and he has never done that to any product. The Taichi IS the best X370 board right now.

Also Asus has been going down hill in the last few years, hell I have even heard that they dont even make their own motherboards anymore. Their customer support is ass cheeks too.

If only they were in stock!! I dont think i can wait till they are.... I really do like the Samsung Crosshair as an alternative...like i mentioned in one of the replies above I like that its one of the few high end boards for AM4 especially that its asus, its a great looking board and has the best on board sound, so i can probably eliminate the need for a dedicated sound card for my speakers and not to mention tons of usb slots it has.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Updating the BIOS on the board will be on the first things I will do when i get it up and running.

Samsung-B based Ram??

Yes so like gskill trident z 3200CL14-14-14 is based off of it.

Hmm... in the discussion of that review I've actually told @cadaveca that giving a 10/10 to a product can lead to a situation like this one.
It's hard to ignore the fact that ASUS seems to have better features and most likely offers better performance (including OC). It's overall a more high-end design (e.g. the rain of USB ports - I've heard that "enthusiasts" like this).
Which board is better? That depends on one's expectations.

So the quote of the day for you is:
"My scores don't necessarily reflect how one board performs vs any other" - cadaveca

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Or he might even be able to get the GSKill Trident Z 16GB CL17 3600mhz a fair bit cheaper if cost is an issue, in the UK they were a ÂŁ60 saving over the 3200's @ CL14.

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700X 8-Core 3.4Ghz
Motherboard ASRock X370 Taichi
Cooling Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, 2x front Aerocool DS 140mm fans, 1x rear Aerocool DS 140mm fan
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Devil Vega 64
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB NVME SSD - Boot drive, Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD - Main storage
Display(s) Acer XG270HU Red 27" 1ms 144HZ WQHD 2K FreeSync Gaming Monitor
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB C-Type Blackout Edition (Non TG)
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSP 301 Headset, Sennheiser Game Zero Special Edition Headset, Logitech Z623 System
Power Supply Seasonic AirTouch 850w 80 Plus Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Professional 64bit
Hmm... in the discussion of that review I've actually told @cadaveca that giving a 10/10 to a product can lead to a situation like this one.
It's hard to ignore the fact that ASUS seems to have better features and most likely offers better performance (including OC). It's overall a more high-end design (e.g. the rain of USB ports - I've heard that "enthusiasts" like this).

So the quote of the day for you is:
"My scores don't necessarily reflect how one board performs vs any other" - cadaveca

Both the ASRock X370 Taichi and the Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero are great boards- but when you really look at all of the features and the price point, the ASRock's Taichi is a clear winner.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro

Ditto, If he actually owned a C6H, he never say such nonsense. As for the not making their own boards, I don't think any board manufacturer makes their own boards anymore. They just design the the boards and hand off manufacturing to Pegatron or Foxconn.

Both the ASRock X370 Taichi and the Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero are great boards- but when you really look at all of the features and the price point, the ASRock's Taichi is a clear winner.
What if you forget about the price? You've mentioned it, so I guess it has some importance...

Cooling Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, 2x front Aerocool DS 140mm fans, 1x rear Aerocool DS 140mm fan
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB NVME SSD - Boot drive, Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD - Main storage
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSP 301 Headset, Sennheiser Game Zero Special Edition Headset, Logitech Z623 System
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
What if you forget about the price? You've mentioned it, so I guess it has some importance...

Well I guess you could forget about it, but it is about a $60 difference.

Ditto, If he actually owned a C6H, he never say such nonsense. As for the not making their own boards, I don't think any board manufacturer makes their own boards anymore. They just design the the boards and hand off manufacturing to Pegatron or Foxconn.

Correct. Mobo is in fact mostly a collection of 3rd-party elements. And the volume is actually quite small - especially when you consider the huge choice of mobos from every manufacturer. It's almost natural to share manufacturing plants.

But keep in mind both Pegatron and ASRock are spin-offs of ASUS. Pegatron was created later and it now owns ASrock. This seems very complicated (a Bold and Beautiful story...), but the end result is: these companies are deeply connected.

OT: :)
It's hard not to notice similarities between ASUS and ASRock motherboards (e.g. parts choice), but have you ever compared how mobo specifications look on their pages? It's like if the same person wrote and formatted them:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370 Taichi/#Specification
http://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/specifications/

And when you look in the HTML code, it's almost like if someone deliberately took one page and changed a few parts to pass a copyright check.
Example:
ASRock: <li><div class="SpecItem">Memory</div><div class="SpecData"> (...)
ASUS: <li><span class="spec-item">Memory</span><div class="spec-data"> (...)

I have to say... both the coding and the website are much nicer from ASRock. :)

Well I guess you could forget about it, but it is about a $60 difference.

Don't get me wrong. I prefer the ASRock as well. It's very practical, pragmatic. It even has a PS/2 port (yes!). ASUS ROG is more about LEDs and 3Dprinted accessories and stuff.
In many ways it's like if ASRock was extending the CSM lineup that ASUS has in their mid-range products.

But these are still 2 very different mobos with different target audience. Saying that one is better is just not possible, yet:
"TPU gave the AsRock Taichi a 10/10 and he has never done that to any product. The Taichi IS the best X370 board right now." @MxPhenom 216

I have to say I'm really impressed by ASRock's strategy lately. I'm actually buying one of their boards at this moment (moving from ASUS :D) - a very different one, but basically for the same reasons cadaveca gave this one 10/10. ;)

Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Didn't want to put a giant quote in, but not only are critics giving ASRock's X370 Taichi high marks, consumers are saying great things as well. Might be one of the main reasons why it is literally sold out everywhere. I really hope the stock gets in soon because this is the board I want to buy for my Ryzen build.

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Software Win 10 64bit
Well guys as much as I would like it all this talk about ASRock Taichi isn't going to put any in stock on Newegg so I think Asus is getting my money for the build... unless someone can tell me for sure it will be in stock by next week.

Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Well guys as much as I would like it all this talk about ASRock Taichi isn't going to put any in stock on Newegg so I think Asus is getting my money for the build... unless someone can tell me for sure it will be in stock by next week.

I reached out to both ASRock and Newegg and I was told by both that they should be in stock next week. That being said, these are only estimates so I can't guarantee anything. Also, people are stocking them on eBay- they are bit more expensive on eBay, but still cheaper than the Hero. That could always be an option...

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Software Win 10 64bit
So if price wasnt an issue for everyone for the Crosshair which one would you get? Cause i
For storage, I don't really recommend "putting all eggs in one basket". Get at least one SSD and another HDD.

As for heatsink, I guess it's up to you. Those oversized heatsinks are pointless in my opinion. Evo 212 has a LED version or you can swap the 120mm fan with RGB one.

I should have asked this a while ago but what are the benefits from having a dedicated drive for windows? I would think its to speed up boot times by buying the fastest ssd one can afford..but I dont see any other benefits other than a little money.

the ones i found on amazon have CL 16-18-18-38

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015FY3BJ2/?tag=tec06d-20

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
the ones i found on amazon have CL 16-18-18-38

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015FY3BJ2/?tag=tec06d-20

Those are not the same dimms as the CL14 stuff unluckily.

These ones I know for a fact are samsung -B based

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...2205&cm_re=gskill_3200-_-20-232-205-_-Product

I think these are

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...2183&cm_re=gskill_3600-_-20-232-183-_-Product

I know these are as well and I used these to hit 3800 on the ryzen build I worked on

http://www.microcenter.com/product/461992/16GB_2_x_8GB_DDR4_PC4-28800_Desktop_Memory_Modules

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Software Win 10 64bit
Those are not the same dimms as the CL14 stuff unluckily.

These ones I know for a fact are samsung -B based

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...2205&cm_re=gskill_3200-_-20-232-205-_-Product

I think these are

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...2183&cm_re=gskill_3600-_-20-232-183-_-Product

I know these are as well and I used these to hit 3800 on the ryzen build I worked on

http://www.microcenter.com/product/461992/16GB_2_x_8GB_DDR4_PC4-28800_Desktop_Memory_Modules

Thanks is there an alternative from amazon you can link me?

Can I get some recommendations for a good cpu liquid cooler (with LED) like this thermaltake or maybe I can get one from corsair and swap out the fans?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0196LP24M/?tag=tec06d-20

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
So if price wasnt an issue for everyone for the Crosshair which one would you get? Cause i
I should have asked this a while ago but what are the benefits from having a dedicated drive for windows? I would think its to speed up boot times by buying the fastest ssd one can afford..but I dont see any other benefits other than a little money.

I think the short boot time is overrated. Just what do you gain by loading Windows in 10 seconds compared to 40 on a desktop? It's not like you do this often.
Boot time (or wake-up time) is important in laptops.

The main benefit from SSD is better OS/application performance stemming from much better random operation performance.
So it's not that much about gaming or large file processing. It's more about running/loading all the little things while you do that. The "other things" (libraries, utilities, scripts etc) are mostly in the OS directory. :)

You could check some SSD reviews from the time when they were becoming popular, as they often described this issue and were comparing SSDs and HDDs. Here's an example at Tom's Hardware:
sequential: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-upgrade-hdd-performance,3023-5.html
random: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-upgrade-hdd-performance,3023-6.html
In sequential operations SSD is twice as fast as HDD (nothing special - you could pair 2 HDDs in RAID 0 for similar gain and it'll still be way cheaper), but in random it's 20-50 times faster.
Moreover, SSDs have significantly improved since 2011 (->NVMe) and they keep getting better (->Optane). HDDs haven't and most likely won't.

Last edited:
System Name 1.21 gigawatts!
Processor Intel Core i7 6700K
Motherboard MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X
Cooling Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Slim with Arctic MX-4
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3000 MHz
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1080 Game Rock
Storage Mushkin Triactor 240GB + Toshiba X300 4TB + Team L3 EVO 480GB
Display(s) Philips 237E7QDSB/00 23" FHD AH-IPS
Case Aerocool Aero-1000 white + 4 Arctic F12 PWM Rev.2 fans
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio Boost 3 with Nahimic Audio Enhancer
Power Supply FSP Hydro G 650W
Mouse Cougar 700M eSports white
Keyboard E-Blue Cobra II
Software Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15: 948 (stock) / 1044 (4,7 GHz) FarCry 5 1080p Ultra: min 100, avg 116, max 133 FPS
No, it's not. Have you looked at benchmarks for TLC drives? They suck. Your suggested drive is no different.

Look at that amazing sequential write performance... Averaging at less than 90MB/s. Why would any sane person want that as their OS drive?

This is not about memory chips, MTBF or failure rate, but about controller and TLC vs MLC/3D TLC/V-NAND.
TLC is by nature slow, so the manufacturers did SLC caching, but it only works for small amounts of data and only in some scenarios.

Also, the 850 EVO is only $20 more, I would get that any day over something from a small time player like Mushkin.

Comparing 480 GB against 240 GB doesn't make much sense, since bigger SSD's are usually faster. :rolleyes: It all depends how big your budget is, but there's no chance that you'll notice any real improvement between the average and the fastest SSD of the same type and capacity. However, there's no doubt that you'll have differences in synthetic benchmarks. It's like saying that someone with DDR4@3866 MHz will have a much faster machine than someone with the identical configuration and DDR4@2666.

You can add a little more and buy Ryzen 1800X, than a little bit here, a little bit there and you are easily a few hundred $ above the budget.

I tend to make suggestions considering limited budget, since money for 99% of folks doesn't grow on trees in their backyard, but if the budget isn't a problem than, for example, Corsair MP500 M2 2280 240 GB will be much, much better solution.

cadaveca

My name is Dave

Missing an M.2 port and adding buttons that might get used once is hardly having better features. and "most likely" isn't good enough, nor matters much when those differences are minor. Those boards also aren't even directly competing with each other, since ASUS's Crosshair VI Hero is priced $50 more. If it isn't at least marginally better, what exactly are you paying that extra $50 for?

Anyway, most likely, I'll be covering these boards before any ASUS AM4 boards. You could call that unfortunate, or lucky. :p

I do have a couple of other AM4 boards somewhere in that pile... I think... :roll:

The truth of the matter is that I use a LOT of motherboards. It's not like I don't have anything to compare the Taichi to, well, other than about 5 years of playing with this many boards every six months. :kookoo:

Missing an M.2 port and adding buttons that might get used once is hardly having better features. and "most likely" isn't good enough, nor matters much when those differences are minor. Those boards also aren't even directly competing with each other, since ASUS's Crosshair VI Hero is priced $50 more. If it isn't at least marginally better, what exactly are you paying that extra $50 for?
I think we're yet to see if Taichi is on par with Crosshair in OC-potential (it might).
But I think you're mostly paying more for the style: the blinking LEDs, the 3D-printing "thing", the gaming looks, the pointless plastic covers etc. This motherboard covers needs of both people looking for performance and those that want to show off. :)

Anyway, I'm not the best person to defend this kind of PC building style, as I don't like it. :)
I've actually thought about getting the MSI Gaming for a while. I didn't like the looks, but hey - they won't be visible from outside the case, so whatever. But then I checked the MSI software and honestly... I think I'd be really tired of the looks after a while. So I went for ASRock...

The truth of the matter is that I use a LOT of motherboards. It's not like I don't have anything to compare the Taichi to, well, other than about 5 years of playing with this many boards every six months. :kookoo:
Of course. But then again, you said yourself that the score is not a mark of how it performs compared to others. It's your evaluation (based on your experience - undoubtedly large).
Still, the perfect score stimulates imagination and can lead to situations like the one here with @MxPhenom 216.
The Z270 Taichi variant is basically the same (better chipset-dependent features), so people will raise eyebrows if it doesn't get a 10 as well. ;)

And I see you have the Z270 SuperCarrier in the queue as well. Isn't this the best-featured motherboard we've seen lately? I'm looking forward to that review. :)