• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Fans for The Case

Processor Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Cooling CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
Storage (SSD) PNY CS2211 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Hola Amigos,
not long ago I bought a pair of Phanteks PH-F140SP 140 mms fans and i now its time to install them in the case, i will use these 2 for the front as intake. One thing im not sure about is fan positioning, should i put them more to the top or more to the bottom? my guess is the top makes more sense, unless id want to keep the HDDs cooler, which are on the bottom, probably keeping CPU or GPU cool is more important. My case is a Phanteks Enthoo PRO M
Another question is where to plug them in the MoBo, i only have one PWM fan and its the CPU fan, the other 3 fans are variable voltage control, so i can only use any of these 3 ,in fact there is already a fan plugged into a sys fan which is the stock rear exhaust fan so i have just 2 left. Sometime ago i asked on this forum whether i should buy a PWM splitter / hub or not to have them all feed from the PSU directly, but that depended more on the fan i was going to get and this phanteks dont seem to be the case (PWM). To be honest i dont know very much about fan tech stuff.
id appreciate your help with this upgrade guys
gracias

This is my Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Foxslink/saved/X7TWZL

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
The normal DC fans will still plug onto the motherboard headers, you should still have a couple of headers left on that board, sysfan2 at the bottom right, sysfan3 by the 24pin power. You could get a splitter cable, like the image attached. There are also 3-way (giggidy!) ones that would be okay if those fans don't use tons of power. Your motherboard manual should tell you the maximum amps per fan header, and the fans usually have the current @ 12v on the label. There's no point buying a 3-pin version if they even exist, having the 4th pin for pwm will be useful in the future I expect. If you connect the fans directly to the PSU with a molex adapter or something, you won't have any fan control, you're limited to 5, 7 or 12v and have to physically swap pins around to change the fan speed, which is fiddly. Going off the motherboard you'll have proper fan control you can set up in the bios or through a program like speedfan in windows.

646694_1_f[1].jpg

Processor Intel i5 12600K
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory Crucial Ballistix DDR4 2x8GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3070Ti
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Phantek P600S/ Corsair ML140 Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX 750W
Mouse Razer Deathadder V2 Mini
Keyboard Razer Huntsman
Software Windows 11 x64
I just finished my build and have the same case. I put 2x140mm as intake and 1x140mm as exhaust. Ideally if you have PWM with thoses fans it's nice but not mandatory. You can connect them to the motherboard and if you don't have enough headers, you can use a 3pin Y cable to connect them all.
Most modern motherboards have some kind of fan control in the BIOS. You can also use a utility like Speedfan to monitor and control the fan speed.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
get yourself a PWM fan switch and call it done, it easily attaches to your case, hidden, allow cable management at its small....

Regards,

Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
ok thx guys i installed them and so far working good, i had to use a little to much force to screw the screws into the fan, and i managed to install the lower fan by disarming the HDD cage which was thorough work. I forgot to ask you about the positionioning of the fans, i couldnt put them to the top but they are in the middle, is that ok?
http://imgur.com/a/SRLxt
I'd also like to ask you about the CPU cooler fan, as you can see in the last photo i have it on the right side as exhaust, should i place it as intake? i think ill OC the CPU soon so i should keep it as cool as possible, how much OC could i get with my system? will i have to get a better CPU cooler?

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
If I were you I'd go with the thermaltake fan controller/hub as the phanteks one can be a nightmare to find for sale , or at least it used to be I couldn't get one even after contacting them directly as it used to be listed as an item that was included with the case I bought from them

Thermaltake fan hub, powered with standard sata power cable

Processor Intel i5 12600K
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory Crucial Ballistix DDR4 2x8GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3070Ti
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Phantek P600S/ Corsair ML140 Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX 750W
Mouse Razer Deathadder V2 Mini
Keyboard Razer Huntsman
Software Windows 11 x64
Actually you screwed the fans wrong. You were supposed to use the long screws and screw them from the front of the case. They come with the case, you should have like 12 of them included, check the manual.
Also the orientation of the CPU fan is correct as it exhausts air to the back of the case. I strongly recommend putting an exhaust fan also.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
forgot to ask you about the positionioning of the fans, i couldnt put them to the top but they are in the middle, is that ok?
top exhaust fans are pretty useful for air coolers, Gelid slim are great units for this sp0t on most cases,

I'd also like to ask you about the CPU cooler fan, as you can see in the last photo i have it on the right side as exhaust, should i place it as intake? i think ill OC the CPU soon so i should keep it as cool as possible, how much OC could i get with my system? will i have to get a better CPU cooler?
if possible a better fan, 6700K are quite hot chips when not delidded, also for overclock its better always to improve cooling..!

Actually you screwed the fans wrong. You were supposed to use the long screws and screw them from the front of the case. They come with the case, you should have like 12 of them included, check the manual.
Also the orientation of the CPU fan is correct as it exhausts air to the back of the case. I strongly recommend putting an exhaust fan also.
not all coolers come with 2 fans, also the most important fan on every air cooler is the one the blows fresh air against heatpipes / cooler fins, like the one on the photos, secondary fan only helps the airflow ... but sometimes does not improve that much ...

oh maan i knew i was using to much force to screw the screws into the fans, did i screw them up now? i dont think its necessary to use the long screws now that they installed, maybe next time. My only hope is that if when one day i install them on a new PC i wont have issues.

what are gelid slim and what does delidded mean?

if i should get better fan for CPU which one would you recommend? i could sell the one i have now and have a friend bring one from US. As per the purpose of the OC i wonder if it will increase the performance in games that much and/or for rendering videos

I also think i should cover the spaces left above and below the fans, could also cover the top lid/cage on the case , its a bit risky having it open especially when i drink so much tea x) . how would you cover it?
Thanks again

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
what are gelid slim
slim fans, which means that might fit most cases and uper or top exhaust...

what does delidded mean?
take out I.H.S. (integrated heat spreader from processor...)something like this:
upload_2017-6-21_16-28-5.jpeg

so you replace intel's paste with liquid metal ... temps will be lowered if wel done, pretty dangerous ...

if i should get better fan for CPU which one would you recommend? i could sell the one i have now and have a friend bring one from US. As per the purpose of the OC i wonder if it will increase the performance in games that much and/or for rendering videos
if possible look for the better AIO watercooler or custom water cooling! best for OC!

It depends. Rear and rear top would be preferred for exhaust. But depends on the noise requirements and case design. In my case, I prefer silent operation, I only have 1 fan on rear exhaust. Top has space for 2x140mm fans, but I'm keeping it closed because it's quieter this way. If I wanted top mounted fans as well, I'd demand a case that has top fans dampened the same as Corsair Carbide 330 has in the front, using a cover. It's incredible how much of a difference it makes while limiting air flow in a minimal way.

It helps if fans are of correct type. I kinda screwed up my selection of Corsair AF fans for intake through the filter. They still push quite some air, but pressure focused fans would fare a lot better. Which is why I just spent 80€ on top of the line BeQuiet fans lol. Lets see how it'll work... :D

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
oh maan i knew i was using to much force to screw the screws into the fans, did i screw them up now? i dont think its necessary to use the long screws now that they installed, maybe next time. My only hope is that if when one day i install them on a new PC i wont have issues.

what are gelid slim and what does delidded mean?

I also think i should cover the spaces left above and below the fans, could also cover the top lid/cage on the case , its a bit risky having it open especially when i drink so much tea x) . how would you cover it?
Thanks again

I had a friend who poured liquids into his machine twice some how. After the second time I just put a wood board on top of his case and blocked the intake/exhaust grill on the top. He didn't have a fan there. If you have a fan there and want to block it off then either unplug or remove it and then put the board over it. simple. Your build looks fine right now should be no problems with airflow with that setup, just look at hwmonitor to check it from time to time. (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html)

slim fans, which means that might fit most cases and uper or top exhaust...

take out I.H.S. (integrated heat spreader from processor...)something like this:
View attachment 89323
so you replace intel's paste with liquid metal ... temps will be lowered if wel done, pretty dangerous ...

if possible look for the better AIO watercooler or custom water cooling! best for OC!
Delidding is too advanced for OP right now, he should keep it simple with stock lid and air cooling until he gains some experience IMO.

It depends. Rear and rear top would be preferred for exhaust. But depends on the noise requirements and case design. In my case, I prefer silent operation, I only have 1 fan on rear exhaust. Top has space for 2x140mm fans, but I'm keeping it closed because it's quieter this way. If I wanted top mounted fans as well, I'd demand a case that has top fans dampened the same as Corsair Carbide 330 has in the front, using a cover. It's incredible how much of a difference it makes while limiting air flow in a minimal way.

It helps if fans are of correct type. I kinda screwed up my selection of Corsair AF fans for intake through the filter. They still push quite some air, but pressure focused fans would fare a lot better. Which is why I just spent 80€ on top of the line BeQuiet fans lol. Lets see how it'll work... :D

pressure fans will make more noise, could always just remove the filters, than you will have quieter and more air flow. I don't run filters I just blast it out with a compressed air metrovac ed500.

Last edited: