• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wanting to upgrade.. Really confused about the tech market ATM

System Name Air Cooled Caselabs BH8
Processor Intel Coffee Lake 8700K @ 4.7
Motherboard MSI Gaming M5
Cooling Noctua D15s, 5x 140mm Noctua Chromax, 1x 120mm Noctua Chromax, 2x 80mm Noctua fans
Memory G. Skill Trident Z RGB series 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
Storage Samsung EVO 840 250gb SSD, Samung EVO PRO 256gb SSD, 2 TB WD Black Edition HDD.
Display(s) 24" Asus Gaming ROG 144hz
Case Black Caselabs BH8
Power Supply 850w EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold PSU with individually sleeved black cables
Mouse Logitech Wireless G403
Keyboard Corsair Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Hey all. I want to completely upgrade my mini ITX system. Just got all my EKWB parts in and am ready for a new build! Transitioning back to liquid cooling for various reasons!

Per my system specs I am on the Haswell platform running DDR3 and an R9 290X which is about to be sold.

So I am torn, like most people, between Intel and AMD. I am not impressed with the Intel x299 platform from the pricing to the lack of improvement overall. I am very optimistic about AMD and find that the AM4 platform will be a smart choice based on the speculation that ~4 series of CPU's (Zen +) and so on will be compatible with the existing AM4 platform.

I am aware that Ryzen has limited OC headroom at the moment. I built my brother a 1500x gaming rig on air (EVO 212) and reached 4.0ghz.

My PC use includes gaming, multi thread usage, and a ton of school work (watch videos and listen to audio, powerpoints etc). I've noticed my PC is starting to fall behind the eight ball here. I am aware that a GPU upgrade could help with the CPU bottleneck with streaming and in game, but at this point, I would rather upgrade the socket platform with the potential for "plug and play" in the future. My CPU is OC'd to 3.8 ghz right now and DDR3 at 2400mhz. Recently, PDF's take ~ half a minute to load and scrolling can be laggy. Numerous applications open in windows causes high CPU usage. My computer has not bloatware. Anti virus is ESET.

Price is not a concern. If I do go AM4, there is only 1 option for a m ITX board which concerns me. Not impressed with the board. Intel has a ton of options but their stagnant innovation over the years seems like wasteful spending.

For a GPU thinking either a 1080Ti or Vega (if it ever comes out and if miners don't sucks retailers dry).

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
At times I will have many window applications open and if I need to open a PDF it takes half a minute to load and scrolling can be laggy.

This is likely some software strangeness, depending on how you define "many" in this context and what kind of PDF it is (a book or 1GB of maps?). I can't imagine your system being behind for what you do, from how you describe it.

But if you are upgrading ... Ryzen is the way to go IMO, 1700 or 1800/x. There will probably be more mITX boards in time.

One cheap option is to snag up a Haswell i7K, if you really feel you don't have enough threads, or the amazeballs Broadwell 5775C, but finding that one will be hard.

System Name Air Cooled Caselabs BH8
Processor Intel Coffee Lake 8700K @ 4.7
Motherboard MSI Gaming M5
Cooling Noctua D15s, 5x 140mm Noctua Chromax, 1x 120mm Noctua Chromax, 2x 80mm Noctua fans
Memory G. Skill Trident Z RGB series 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
Storage Samsung EVO 840 250gb SSD, Samung EVO PRO 256gb SSD, 2 TB WD Black Edition HDD.
Display(s) 24" Asus Gaming ROG 144hz
Case Black Caselabs BH8
Power Supply 850w EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold PSU with individually sleeved black cables
Mouse Logitech Wireless G403
Keyboard Corsair Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 10
This is likely some software strangeness, depending on how you define "many" in this context and what kind of PDF it is (a book or 1GB of maps?). I can't imagine your system being behind for what you do, from how you describe it.

But if you are upgrading ... Ryzen is the way to go IMO, 1700 or 1800/x. There will probably be more mITX boards in time.

One cheap option is to snag up a Haswell i7K, if you really feel you don't have enough threads, or the amazeballs Broadwell 5775C, but finding that one will be hard.

PDF's range from Scholar Journal Articles (40+ pages), Books (large textbooks, science based), and Maps. I Should have been more specific! Describe "software strangeness" please :).

I am leaning towards Ryzen 1700. Going to have to wait for more mITX options. Really hoping MSI releases one within the next few months.

I have thought about upgrading to a Haswell i7K. I can't justify spending more money and re-seating the CPU + configuring entire loop set up on this intel platform. DDR4 and the speeds associated with it are truly tempting.

I open and read PDF's frequently throughout the day. Not sure why I am getting scroll lag. Everything is up to date (drivers, software, windows) !

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Keep in mind videocards are really expensive right now because of the p2p currency bubbles, good time to sell the 290 but bad time to buy.

As far as PDF scroll lag, I kind of have that too with my Ivy which is also getting old. I don't have any lag opening the documents though, just some times it stutters as I scroll rapidly, same with complicated web pages. However, I am not sure if modern processors will fix it. IPC isn't much better with the current gen than with our older gens. Overall though I don't have many problems with running tons and tons of tabs in multiple palemoon browsers.

Personally I would keep the Haswell i5 longer and go for whatever is next around the corner, I don't think current stuff is that impressive considering how big generational jumps used to be a few years ago.

If the 5775C was a bit more affordable, like around $200, that would be a route but they go for over $380, which is insane.

Last edited: