• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Update on the Intel X299 Platform "VRM Disaster"

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
We have some updated information on the X299 Platforms VRM issues from the same overclocker who initially discovered the issue, renowned overclocker der8auer. In an updated YouTube video, der8auer first updated his viewers with new information on his testing techniques, and basically concluded that all issues initially detected (throttling included) are still is an issue even after extensive testing, only in some instances it is difficult to detect not only if you are throttling, but even specifics such as what precisely is throttling. He goes into extensive detail, but a brief summary of the videos main points can be found below for your consumption.

His first major point is to watch power consumption. If it drops drastically, something is probably throttling. It does not mean (as some critics assumed) that the X299 system is not as energy hungry as reported: It is, it just has the nasty habit of not always reporting a throttle in clock rate. Furthermore, throttles can happen "back and forth" very quickly, and CPU-Z's refresh rate is not fast enough to always catch these. He recommends using HwInfo for frequency and VRM temp monitoring purposes.

Second, once you know there is a throttle occurring, there are two major types of throttling. The first is CPU throttling, which will occur via the multiplier backing off on the CPU cores slowly. The second is VRM throttling, which will manifest itself as a sharp drop in multiplier instantly (in his example, it went from 4.5 GHz to 1.2 GHz during a VRM throttle). These dramatic drops are related to VRMs and the poor build issues on various boards. Sadly, as of right now these issues still exist as a very complex minefield for potential buyers to navigate.

Third, he backed off his criticism of the 8-pin connectors saying they were probably okay for "moderate overclocking" (being that he is an extreme overclocker, that's probably enough for most of us "24/7ers"). The initial issue of overheating cables appeared to be more the cable design of the Superflower PSU than an actual limit of the 8-pin CPU connector. He still says it is better to get an 8+4 or 8+8 pin board if pursuing "serious overclocks", however.

Oh, and just to make it more confusing, in several UEFIs you can raise the throttle-temp point for the CPU (though most 24/7 overclockers probably shouldn't) and on some boards, even more throttling types are present (GIGABYTE seems to have some kind of "VCCIN throttle" that kicks in randomly if left on auto).

The end result of all this? I would say it's a very confusing and very strange product landscape, the likes of which is not likely to be friendly to overclockers, neither casual nor extreme. Pick your boards carefully dear user, perhaps this time even more so than most.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
Processor 7900
Motherboard Rampage Apex
Cooling H115i
Memory 64GB TridentZ 3200 14-14-14-34-1T
Video Card(s) Fury X
Case Corsair 740
Audio Device(s) 8ch LPCM via HDMI to Yamaha Z7 Receiver
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse G903
Keyboard G810
Software 8.1 x64
Glad to see he updated this "Disaster" would only happen under very worst case scenario.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Glad to see he updated this "Disaster" would only happen under very worst case scenario.

There are so many ways to be throttled if you watch the video, I'm not quite certain we can say that. Worse, you don't even know you are being throttled half the time. It's as confusing as it could be if they were trying to go for an intentionally confusing product.

System Name ACME Singularity Unit
Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Cooling 4 Snow Yetis huffing and puffing in parallel
Memory Hasty Indian (I/O: 3 smoke signals per minute)
Video Card(s) Bob Ross AI module
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Display(s) Where are my glasses?
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Audio Device(s) On demand tribe singing
Power Supply Spin-o-Wheel-matic
Mouse Hamster original
Keyboard Chisel 1.9a (upgraded for Stone Tablet 2.0 compatibility)
Software It's all hard down here
Not often that numbers alone can be so amusing. Many thanks to all the "techs" and "engineers" at Intel for this.

And people were going batshit crazy over poor initial RAM support with Ryzen (which can, is and will be improved via BIOSes). How do you improve a broken VRM segment on a motherboard? I bet AMD is chuckling like an evil mastermind in a volcano and Intel is still in full panic mode...

A lot of these VRM heatsinks today appear to be poorly thermally engineered (might as well include some M.2 heatsinks). They appear to be nothing more than a slap of extruded aluminum carelessly slapped on the board. Then they add more decals over that, which in many cases, are not meant to be removed. I doubt that any kind of thermal modelling was ever done to optimize anything.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
A lot of these VRM heatsinks today appear to be poorly thermally engineered (might as well include some M.2 heatsinks). They appear to be nothing more than a slap of extruded aluminum carelessly slapped on the board. Then they add more decals over that, which in many cases, are not meant to be removed. I doubt that any kind of thermal modelling was ever done to optimize anything.

This is my assesment as well. They seem more concerned with the mobos looking like mechs or something than making actually fuctionally good heatsinks.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
This is my assesment as well. They seem more concerned with the mobos looking like mechs or something than making actually fuctionally good heatsinks.

That's because they haven't needed to do serious cooling on the VRM in a long time. Why should they bother when Intel CPUs have sipped power for so long. Then bam, x299 hits and all of a sudden Intel CPUs are power hogs again.

You know what they say, when you get older you forget the lessons you learned earlier in life and have to learn them all over again.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard ASRock AB350 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig H7 via Noctua NF-F12
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT white 2x8GB, DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 390 G1 Gaming via Arctic Accelero Xtreme III
Storage Samsung 840 250GB (OS), Crucial MX300 750GB
Display(s) Samsung 40" LED 1080p TV
Case Fractal Design Define S - Front: 3x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500, Back: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair Vengeance 650M
Software Windows 10 Home

In my opinion this is a result of the side window trend. Everyone wants to show of his/her hardware and mobo manufacturers are following this trend while forgetting about "Form follows function".

System Name Off-Brand PC System
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard X399
Cooling Wraithripper
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Benchmark Scores Less than Intel and Nvidia
And people were going batshit crazy over poor initial RAM support with Ryzen (which can, is and will be improved via BIOSes). How do you improve a broken VRM segment on a motherboard? I bet AMD is chuckling like an evil mastermind in a volcano and Intel is still in full panic mode...
Quality of VRM is not Intel's responsibility. RAM support is AMD's responsibility.

Despicable :pimp:
Quality of VRM is not Intel's responsibility. RAM support is AMD's responsibility.
Every Ryzen supports RAM for its rated speeds with 2667 MHz being the max in dual channel, unless we're talking about (Intel) XMP which even Intel doesn't guarantee for all its processors.

Last edited:

Yes it is Intel's responsibility. They hand over the specifications. EXACT specifications. Motherboard makers can beef it up, but they can't dumb it down below what Intel specifies. Problem with X299 is that they are ranging from quad cores up to what's max, 18 cores? Things tend to go wrong when you do this oposed to having only beefy CPU's on the platform like X99 had...

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Yes it is Intel's responsibility. They hand over the specifications. EXACT specifications. Motherboard makers can beef it up, but they can't dumb it down below what Intel specifies. Problem with X299 is that they are ranging from quad cores up to what's max, 18 cores? Things tend to go wrong when you do this oposed to having only beefy CPU's on the platform like X99 had...
Do you really think they would make that kind of mistake? It might be because Intel doesn't recommend overclocking, and never has. They allow overclocking on some CPUs, due to demand from enthusiasts, but never recommend it. Board partners are free to do whatever they want, like selling special boards with beefed-up components designed to handle high OCs, and also sell cheap boards with components barely adequate for a mild OC. As we have all experienced with low budget builds. Yes, it's disappointing that the first round of X299 boards are not great overclockers. I'm sure that better boards are coming, and probably some that are even worse (and cheaper), to match up with the lower end X299 CPUs. In the end, it's up to the board partners to sell what customers want.
This so-called "VRM disaster" thing is just a sign of the times, whining about anything that will generate clicks.

Last edited:
Just because overclocker is commenting this, I dont think it's OC related. As far as I know the issue was with stock, but high core count CPU's...

I removed all "art decó" from my mobo's headsinks, as they are all very hot. Glued on bugs... Keep them in the cardbox for future selling....

That's nonsense, frankly. Even putting aside the fact that both AMD and Intel give very conservative figures for RAM speed support with their CPUs, with anything above that essentially being an overclock that's entirely out of their hands, board and BIOS quality have a huge impact on supported RAM speeds (again for both for AMD and Intel). That's the entire reason why board manufacturers maintain their own very specific QVL lists for RAM.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Just because overclocker is commenting this, I dont think it's OC related. As far as I know the issue was with stock, but high core count CPU's...

There is no issue with vrm temps at stock. Actually when using a real case with airflow I saw no issues at 4.7 either on the Asus x299a

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
There is no issue with vrm temps at stock. Actually when using a real case with airflow I saw no issues at 4.7 either on the Asus x299a
I was good to 4.5 GHz 10c/20t on ASUS PRime X299 Deluxe as well. VRM sink was hot there, but I didn't catch any throttling. I will double check with HWinfo though. :)

As far as what can be done... vendors can make a better VRM sink and make a v2 or offer it up for a trade in/make us pay for it.

As it stands, these are good at stock in a case with some airflow. Overclocking seems to change things dramatically depending on the overclock.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Sounds similar to how the FX 9590 and 9370 were back on AMD. Only a few boards were rated to actually support it because of high power consumption. Moral of the story is, if your going to buy the very high end chips (Lets say 8 core +) then you should spend on a higher board or wait especially if overclocking. Even so, I bet better boards will come with the issues resolved. Though to me, this is exactly why I think having a huge range of core options on a platform like that is a foolish idea depending on your power consumption range. I still don't get why there are 4 core models again on that platform...

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
It was all of AMD's FX octo and even hex cores on some boards...

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I was good to 4.5 GHz 10c/20t on ASUS PRime X299 Deluxe as well. VRM sink was hot there, but I didn't catch any throttling. I will double check with HWinfo though. :)

As far as what can be done... vendors can make a better VRM sink and make a v2 or offer it up for a trade in/make us pay for it.

As it stands, these are good at stock in a case with some airflow. Overclocking seems to change things dramatically depending on the overclock.

This was a particularly good chip 4.7ghz blender stable at 1.25v on just a noctua U14S and a second fan. VRM was a bit warmer than I would prefer, but considering I still run an FX9370 in something I am no stranger to this.

System Name Workstation
Processor 2x Intel Xeon E5-2697 V3
Motherboard Supermicro X10DRi-T
Cooling 2x Noctua NH-U12DX i4
Memory 4x 32GB Samsung ECC 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce Titan X (Maxwell)
Storage Samsung 6.4TB PM1725a + Intel 800GB 750 series + 2x Micron 4TB 5100 ECO
Display(s) 3x BenQ 3200PT + Dell UltraSharp UP2720Q
Case NZXT S340 White
Audio Device(s) Grace Design m9XX
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard CM NovaTouch TKL (MX compatible stem Topre!)
Software Windows 10
There are specific situations under which this overheating occurs, I recommend anyone interested also watch Tom from OC3D's YouTube video as he was in collaboration with der8auer in investigating the issue.

But to summarise, to reach a CPU power draw of ~400w requires (at least on ASUS boards) a power limit increase and the disablement of (somewhat hidden) throttling mechanisms in BIOS, combined with running Prime95 with small (12k) FFTs. This results in VRM temperatures greater than 100°C unless assisted by direct active cooling. Basically the heatsinks are not good enough on X299 motherboards.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
But to summarise, to reach a CPU power draw of ~400w requires (at least on ASUS boards) a power limit increase and the disablement of (somewhat hidden) throttling mechanisms in BIOS, combined with running Prime95 with small (12k) FFTs. This results in VRM temperatures greater than 100°C unless assisted by direct active cooling. Basically the heatsinks are not good enough on X299 motherboards.

The platform is only rated to 300W. So it is only those that are ocing to the limit with delidding and/or doing extreme benching that this will really affect. My 7900X CPUs draw less than 280W @ 4.7 GHz, and hitting 400W isn't possible with most traditional cooling methods so far; the CPU will throttle and overheat before the VRM does. :p That's also exceeding the CPU's power consumption, for a 140W CPU, by almost 200%.

Of course, I'm looking at CPU power draw over the EPS connectors only, not full system, so anything like this being a serious issue would have been obvious right away, since I see real-time power draw over those wires. AFAIK, I'm the only person that does this... most reviewers report full system power for power consumption.

Isn't this the same dude that said we should push to 5 GHz and delid? (I know that it is, but... perspective).

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
The platform is only rated to 300W. So it is only those that are ocing to the limit with delidding and/or doing extreme benching that this will really affect. My 7900X CPUs draw less than 280W @ 4.7 GHz, and hitting 400W isn't possible with most traditional cooling methods so far; the CPU will throttle and overheat before the VRM does. :p That's also exceeding the CPU's power consumption, for a 140W CPU, by almost 200%.

Of course, I'm looking at CPU power draw over the EPS connectors only, not full system, so anything like this being a serious issue would have been obvious right away, since I see real-time power draw over those wires. AFAIK, I'm the only person that does this... most reviewers report full system power for power consumption.

Isn't this the same dude that said we should push to 5 GHz and delid? (I know that it is, but... perspective).

My test chip can do 5ghz with the top on it on air, unstable easily :roll: However the minute you pump AVX through it the temps shoot up and it restarts. Power consumption was pretty high at that point. I think high end water will easily do 5ghz without a delid...but power consumption will be through the roof.