• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

qubit's GT 1030 v GTX 580 showdown!

Are you thinking of buying a GT 1030?

• Total voters

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Some of you asked for a performance comparison between the current Pascal based bottom end GT 1030 graphics card and the old Fermi based top end GTX 580 from 2011, so here it is. @P4-630 @Artas1984 @Frick @Prince Valiant this is especially for you!

I've benched them using Unigine Heaven 4.0 and the tl;dr version is that the GT 1030 has about 55% of the performance of the GTX 580 in DX9 and DX11 modes. Not too bad for such a low end card, even with the large generational gap between them.

Now, with that out of the way, I thought I'd have a bit of a benchathon this weekend, so expanded the number of cards to test, all of which I own. I have several more cards than this, but there has to be a limit somewhere, lol.

Here are the contenders, with TPU review links where possible. The review may not be of the same exact model, but will be functionally identical.

Zotac GTX 1080 Amp! Extreme Edition 8GB
MSI GT 1030 OC Edition 2GB (with passive cooling)
MSI GTX 780 Ti Gaming 3GB
Zotac GTX 580 Amp! Edition 1.5GB (reference cooler)
Palit GT 520 2GB (with active cooling)
Zotac GTX 285 1GB (reference cooler)
XFX 8800 GTX 768MB (reference cooler)

Just a note about the older cards not working. I had trouble getting the much older 8800 GTX and GTX 285 to actually give a picture, although the PC gave the POST beep and Windows booted otherwise. Turns out the gold PCIe connector pads had developed some visible tarnish on them which prevented good contact being made. Cleaning them with isopropyl alcohol fixed the problem, with the cards working perfectly after that. One to watch out for if your card plays up.

DRIVER

The oldest cards, the 8800 GTX and GTX 285 are no longer fully supported by NVIDIA so were run with the latest available Windows 10 64-bit driver, version 342.01. All the rest were run with the very latest version, 384.76.

The test rig is the one in my current system specs:

I used Unigine Heaven 4.0 in DX11 and DX9 modes. Since the 8800 GTX and GTX 285 only support DX10, I had to drop down the DX version for it to work. I chose DX9, because that was widely used, while hardly anything was released using DX10 and hence not representative of real world performance.

I used the Ultra quality settings, as shown:

DX11 with Normal tessellation level

DX9

RESULTS

Note that it wasn't possible to run the tests with ambient occlusion switched off for some reason. I would have preferred not to use it, because in my opinion it doesn't add that much to picture quality while hammering performance, so it's not worth it. This was especially true with the weaker cards and made them look a lot worse than they were otherwise. Dropping the quality down to Medium helped a lot, too.

One thing to strike me immediately, is that all the DX11 cards gave better performance in DX11 mode, even with tessellation on. With tessellation off the performance was considerably better, putting it significantly ahead of DX9. This is in line with the efficiency improvements touted for DX11.

Unsurprisingly, the GTX 1080 totally dominated all the other cards, with the GTX 780 Ti coming in a distant second place, having about 62% of the performance. This is still enough for good performance in many games where the 3GB RAM limitation isn't a problem.

The GTX 580 made a reasonable job of smoothly rendering the scenes at these punishing settings, with many of them being rendered a lot faster and hence smoothly than the average 45-50fps seen here would suggest. It did it with a lot of huffing and puffing though with that noisy reference cooler! Killing ambient occlusion would have improved the performance considerably, resulting in perfectly smooth animation throughout.

The GT 1030 gave about 55% of this performance with the animation looking decidedly stuttery, but just about playable at a push. Again, just killing that pesky ambient occlusion would have resulted in markedly better performance, offering reasonably smooth framerates at about double the speed. Putting the quality setting to Medium would then result in very respectable performance indeed.

So, if you have a GTX 580 don't replace it with a GT 1030 expecting better framerates. Only do so maybe if you're not playing demanding games and want a quieter card that consumes much less power and has newer features. Even then, at £65 to £70 it's not exactly cheap right now, so you're probably better off going with a GT 1050 if you can, which offers much better performance.

It's interesting to see how the legendary 8800 GTX from waay back in 2006 was unplayable at these settings although it was a DX9 powerhouse back then. It even supported the brand new DX10, for which there was next to nothing that used it at the time. Shows just how far the mighty have fallen! Even without ambient occlusion, it wasn't really up to much. Hit it with some older games though and it will still rock.

The GTX 285 was about 50% better, but at these framerates still useless. Back in its day it felt like a supercharged 8800 GTX.

And now we arrive at the runt of the litter: the little GT 520. At roughly 2.6fps, it was a full-on slideshow and so much so that the application's interface was hammered too, with me barely able to select the options. Turning off ambient occlusion gave all of 4-5fps. Wow. This means that its big brother of the same generation, the GTX 580 is about 20 times faster, a staggering difference! And the GTX 1080 completely embarrasses it with 70 times the performance.

Comparing the two bottom end cards, the GT 1030 and the GT 520 showed just how far low end cards have come, with the GT 1030 having about 11 times the performance. For anyone thinking that these low end cards have stagnated, think again - Pascal is potent even in its smallest form. Nowadays they have to beat half decent integrated graphics processors, so they can't be too low performance.

NOISE PERFORMANCE

Of course, another important parameter is the noise that these cards make when running a stress test like this and boy were some of them loud!

The 8800 GTX and GTX 580 where by far the noisiest, being really obvious about the effort they were making, with the 8800 GTX sounding like it was going to take off. The GTX 285 was still pretty loud, but better. All of those cards were still reasonably tolerable however, because there was just a lot of windrush noise rather than any irritating buzzes or whines. Credit to NVIDIA for thinking about this aspect of performance. Note that they all sound a lot quieter when normal gaming.

Surprisingly, the GT 520 was pretty quiet, possibly because it may not have a temperature controlled fan and the GPU was cooking...

The quietest card was unsurprisingly the passive GT 1030, which didn't even exhibit any perceptable coil whine and worked with total stability under heavy stress. Impressive. I wouldn't risk Furmark on it though with that passive cooler. It was pretty hot to the touch afterwards though, as were the rest of the cards.

The GTX 780 Ti made a clearly audible noise, but still pretty good for a card being stressed to the max, showing what a good non-reference cooler can do. I can tell you that in normal gaming this card is very quiet indeed.

Finally, the GTX 1080 was whisper quiet, taking all this in its stride, not making any more noise than if it was playing normal games and no throttling, thanks to that brilliant cooler. It did however exhibit that annoying revving problem I've posted about which is a design fault.

For this reason alone, I don't recommend this card like I used to, despite its improved framerate performance over a GTX 1080 FE and even some other non-reference cards and cooler temperatures. Idiotic problem with a simple and cheap solution that Zotac should have implemented.

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Interesting set of testing... thanks for taking the time!

I giggled a bit though when you said this "punishing" settings of this benchmark, lol! Its pretty cpu limited even at dx11 extreme, and much worse at dx9. Even with the lower end modern cards. I wonder what overclocking your 2500k to 5 ghz has on all these results...and particularly the old low end cards and your 1080.

What clocks did you run it at?? Your copy/paste shows stock, right?

Last edited:
System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Oh that poor GT520.... Pity my nephew... He's gaming with a GT620 which isn't much better....

Thanks for taking the time testing and posting @qubit !!:)

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
@EarthDog hey yer welcome, bud. :)

Yes, the CPU and all the cards are at stock and I checked for bottlenecking by running the benchmark at the low low price resolution of 640x480 with the GTX 1080 which gave 220fps average. Hence, I can safely say that the CPU wasn't the bottleneck in this test. Especially so with all the other much slower cards.

@P4-630 Yer welcome! :) Between fighting with dysfunctional graphics cards (it took a while to figure out the connector issue lol) and the awkward charting functionality of Excel 2016 and then writing it all up and proofreading it, it was quite a journey!

Last edited:
Yes, the CPU is at stock and I checked for bottlenecking by running the benchmark at the low low price resolution of 640x480 which gave 220fps average. Hence, I can safely say that the CPU wasn't the bottleneck in this test.
I suppose you meant on the 1080? That doesnt prove much about a cpu bottleneck though. You can still see improvements with resolution drop and still be cpu limited. Id be interested in seeing the 1080 and 1030 and the 520 run with the cpu at 5ghz in the dx9 and dx11 tests. :)

Edit: Ive just seen it, a lot, before in hwbot heaven dx11 amd dx9. But its typically with high(er) end+ cards, though with modern processors. Because of this experience, im thinking a couple cards are being artifically held back by a several year old processor at stock speeds...bith in dx9/11. im curious to see what it would happen in low end modern cards and old cards (1030) like the 520.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I suppose you meant on the 1080? That doesnt prove much about a cpu bottleneck though. You can still see improvements with resolution drop and still be cpu limited. Id be interested in seeing the 1080 and 1030 and the 520 run with the cpu at 5ghz in the dx9 and dx11 tests. :)

Edit: Ive just seen it, a lot, before in hwbot heaven dx11 amd dx9. But its typically with high(er) end+ cards, though with modern processors. Because of this experience, im thinking a couple cards are being artifically held back by a several year old processor at stock speeds...bith in dx9/11. im curious to see what it would happen in low end modern cards and old cards (1030) like the 520.
I guess if we bolted on a faster process it would increase that 1080's score some, but I reckon it would only be by a few frames. Unfortunatelty I don't have one to test with Indeed during scenes where the framerate goes sky high, say 300-400fps the CPU could definitely bottleneck.

I see you've got a 7700K in your rig. Why don't you do a quicky comparison with a GTX 1080 of some description, run it at 640x480 and see what you get? I'd be intrigued.

And ya, on the 1080, I made an edit. :D

I'll have to post the exact 3D driver settings for you to make it comparable, that's all.

I guess if we bolted on a faster process it would increase that 1080's score some, but I reckon it would only be by a few frames. Unfortunatelty I don't have one to test with Indeed during scenes where the framerate goes sky high, say 300-400fps the CPU could definitely bottleneck.
This is why I requested to put your CPU to 5Ghz to see what happens with that subset (1080, 1030, 520). It doesn't take 300-400 FPS to have a CPU bottleneck either. Ive witnessed it with a 7700K already. That said, the 7700K is not up and won't be...so I cannot test just to show you screenshots. Which reminds me, I need to update my rig specs. :)

As far as settings go (in the future), to keep things simple, but less flexible, use the Hwbot Heaven version. It has a 'wrapper' with a DX9 bench and DX11. The config file shows the details if you are curious as to what its set at (DX11 is max/full tess, etc - not sure what DX9 is). Will keep settings the same, etc... but again less flexibility to change settings - easier for others to repeat.
http://downloads.hwbot.org/downloads/hwbot_unigine_heaven_v103/index.htm

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I'm sorry, but I'm not so keen to overclock it nowadays, especially not to that extreme. It hit 5GHz when new, but it ran pretty hot on air and I only did it for a few minutes without stressing it too much. I think I may have hit something like 5.2GHz and it still had more to give, it was ridiculous, but the temps were far too high so I stopped there before I damaged it. I wonder how it would have done with a proper watercooling setup. I'll hazard 5.3-5.5GHz when new.

It should do 4.5-4.7GHz without too much trouble, but I have to reaquaint myself with the BIOS settings to do it properly ie loadline calibration set to off, taking the mobo off auto voltage etc so it won't be immediately, unfortunately. Um, confession, I didn't do it properly the last time and the PC became unstable after a while, so I don't wanna repeat the same mistake. I put it back to stock years ago and never got round to this again, meaning to research it properly before the next attempt. Part of the reason was the slow pace of improvement in Intel CPUs so I wanted this thing to last rather than risk it burning out. Replacing a CPU, mobo and RAM is expensive!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
1030=rebagged 285 just about lol (process refined 285)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
1030=rebagged 285 just about lol (process refined 285)
Similar framerate performance, but a lot of other improvements such smaller size, much lower power, lower noise, DX12 and various other little improvements which all add up.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Similar framerate performance, but a lot of other improvents such smaller size, much lower power, lower noise, DX12 and various other little improvements which all add up.

Hence the parentheses lol

Thanks for going through with this. About what I expected, aside from the GT1030 which did better than I thought it would. I wonder if the next low end cards will perform a little better for the reason you mentioned (integrated competition).

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
I love the GTX 1050 ti though

Ok, took the time to run it on the 7900X. It was only at 10c/10t. I ran 3Ghz and 4.3GHz. What is weird is I was able to get one screenshot, and the rest, it was the black screen so I have them on my phone if you need proof, lol!

3 GHz DX11 - 29.4(min), 184.3(avg)
4.3 GHz DX11 - 37.4(min), 215.5(avg)

3 GHz DX9 26.3(min), 163.2(avg)
4.3 Ghz DX9 35.9(min), 172.2(avg)

My 1080 boosts to 1962 MHz with stock fan profile. Your card is faster clocked by 50 Mhz base clock and likely more with boost so it 'should' be faster all around. You can see from the 3 GHz results, it is beating your 3.7 GHz by 9 FPS (a few percent) already. Clock it to 4.3 GHz and it shoots up to 215.5 FPS...even with the second fastest IPC part out there. The odd part is, DX9 results are pretty much the same, though i have less clocks by 700 Mhz. After overclocking it only jumped to 172. I wonder what the settings are in the Hwbot DX9 that changes it.. perhaps using AA as none is used here.

Oh well, just some more numbers to chew on. :)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Cheers ED. Here are my NVIDIA driver settings to make everything identical. That DX11 result is a fair bit faster, I'll give you that. Interesting.

What I've never seen is a benchmark/fps counter which shows whether the CPU is waiting for the GPU or vice versa at any given moment. I think it would be very revealing for helping to understand results like this. I reckon it boils down to your GPU waiting less time for the CPU than mine. Could be that the extra cache, newer architecture etc smooths out little bottlenecks.

My mum has an i3 Ivy Bridge CPU (forget exactly what model I put in there now) in her PC and I swear there's a smoothness about the desktop on that PC that's not quite there on mine, so I can believe that further architectural improvements will make this gap wider.

Oh and I believe you, no need for absolute proof. :)

I assumed default settings (its the reviewer and ocd in me to not stray from default on those settings as most dont). Also, triple buffering is for when vsync is used...

Anyway, if you have time, clock your cpu to as high as you are comfortable (wuss! :)) and see what happens to your fps... also confirm your 'settled' boost clock on the gpu as well.

Im just shocked cpu does more for the higher end test... there has to be some other choke point with dx9...

Edit: also curious to see if/where the cpu doesnt start adding significant amounts (what tier card)

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
DX 9 has lived beyond usefullness, only should allow the dx9 libraries for older games.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Yea I got a 1080Ti for my HTPC card instead...I think I'm being excessive again.

It is curious to see how close it performs to some greats of old lol

System Name Burning a hole through my wallet
Processor 3700X
Motherboard Maximus 8 Hero
Cooling Custom loop (EK Extreme 360 Rad, Supremacy evo w/AM4 bracket)
Memory 2x16 Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB @3200MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080s hybrid
Storage 960 Evo, 660p, P1, BX500, 2XWD Black, Ironwolf Proo
Display(s) Predator 27" 4k 144hz HDR
Case NZXT h700i
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Drop ALT W/holypanda switches
Software Win 10 Pro 64, Ubuntu 20.04, Manjaro (latest)
Awesome, love that you made an actual presentation on all of this.

What I've never seen is a benchmark/fps counter which shows whether the CPU is waiting for the GPU or vice versa at any given moment. I think it would be very revealing for helping to understand results like this. I reckon it boils down to your GPU waiting less time for the CPU than mine. Could be that the extra cache, newer architecture etc smooths out little bottlenecks.
The one thing I have seen do this, is DOOM with their performance metrics on max, agree with the fact that this should be a feature somewhere.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Thanks! :toast:

I have no idea how illustrative Heaven is for gaming though. I did play through Warlords of Draenor with a GT520, so it is actually surprisingly capable.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Heeyyy I just realized the MX150 (the mobile part) is the same as the GT 1030. Here's hoping it will find its way to <14" laptops, then I might actually get one.

Any progress on overclocking your CPU and seeing what happens to the GPUs here Qubit?

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I have to agree Unigine Heaven is rather old , not sure how representative it is when it comes down to illustrate performance in more recent games. I would imagine that in something like Doom GTX 580 would fall short significantly.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Thx, @qubit ! Wanna see some gaming tests!
I've already queued a pair of LP GT1030s on my wishlist: one for my cousin's workstation, and another one for my 100% passively cooled HTPC.
From what I've heard, it's somewhere between GTX750 and 750Ti in terms of performance, but at TDP levels of the 2nd gen GT730! Which means, once again, 90% of my steam library is playable at 1080p Med/High.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Thanks everyone, it's great to see all this interest over my mini review. :toast:

@Frick I'm sure that the card can play that game. This was a punishing max details test on a demanding benchmark, which isn't the way one would normally use these low end cards so no wonder performance was so awful. It always fascinates me how they do technically run it though, even if it's only a couple of frames per second, lol. The only difference between that and a £600 card is the calculation time to draw the scene - and it's so critical!

@EarthDog As I said before, please don't wait for the overclocking test as it won't be immediate and I want to make sure I do it properly so I don't damage the CPU with overvoltage. I'll try to get to it eventually though in the next few weeks.

@Vya Domus It might be old, but it still uses DX11 fully and puts a big load on the graphics card, so I think it's still perfectly valid. If anything, it's likely to be more punishing than most games and hence lower framerate. Heaven 2.5 gets a better framerate, for example.

Thx, @qubit ! Wanna see some gaming tests!
I've already queued a pair of LP GT1030s on my wishlist: one for my cousin's workstation, and another one for my 100% passively cooled HTPC.
From what I've heard, it's somewhere between GTX750 and 750Ti in terms of performance, but at TDP levels of the 2nd gen GT730! Which means, once again, 90% of my steam library is playable at 1080p Med/High.
This review shows it to be somewhat less powerful than a 750 Ti, so I think a GTX 1050 would be a better buy for gaming. I agree that it's best to get the latest generation of graphics cards for the best support and features though.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-geforce-gt-1030-2gb,review-33949.html