• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD RX Vega Mining Performance Reportedly Doubled With Driver Updates

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Disclaimer: take this post with a bucket of salt. However, the information here, if true, could heavily impact AMD's RX Vega cards' stock at launch and in the subsequent days, so, we're sharing this so our readers can decide on whether they want to pull the trigger for a Vega card at launch, as soon as possible, or risk what would seem like the equivalent of a mining Black Friday crowd gobbling up AMD's RX Vega models' stock. Remember that AMD has already justified delays for increased stock so as to limit the impact of miners on the available supply.

The information has been put out by two different sources already. The first source we encountered (and which has been covered by some media outlets solo) has been one post from one of OC UK's staff, Gibbo, who in a forum post, said "Seems the hash rate on VEGA is 70-100 per card, which is insanely good. Trying to devise some kind of plan so gamers can get them at MSRP without the miners wiping all the stock out within 5 minutes of product going live."

The fact that a staffer from OC UK is actually looking for ways to prevent miners from wiping the stock speaks more to the credence of the information than the "70-100 hash rate" claim. Apparently, this information was conveyed to Gibbo from an AMD AIB partner, who remains unknown at time of writing. This information has already been sort of confirmed by a second source, coming out of Videocardz's Why Cry. In a post, the editor reported how he already had come in possession of similar information through his sources, who put the hash rate of RX Vega close to double that of the Frontier Edition's original hash rate, which was ~30 MH/s in Ethereum mining. This means the hash rate could be ~60 mark, which is still close to OC UK's Gibbo's reference to a "70-100" hash rate. This increase in hash rate was apparently indirectly enabled by updated driver features for the RX Vega cards. Apparently, these were included in the drivers to improve features and gaming performance - which also indirectly resulted in increased mining capabilities.

We had already covered in our Vega Architecture Technical Overview article that AMD's Vega NGCU computation capabilities were bolstered through added support for over 40 new ISA instructions, which result in increased IPC over Polaris - and which were also mentioned by VSG at the time as being "very relevant for GPU mining."

Adding to this story is the fact that recent optimizations from a Reddit user to a Monero mining program and an underclock to 1.3 GHz have brought the Frontier Edition's mining hashrates to around 1.16 kH/s - 34% faster than a GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (around 0.76 kH/s according to Nicehash), and 43% faster than a single Radeon RX 580 8 GB. This means that the $999 Frontier Edition currently stands at double the mining performance of the GTX 1080 on Monero - and the gaming RX Vega, with its $499 price-tag, should follow suit. And these are optimizations achieved by a single user, for a cryptocurrency that is admittedly not as popular as Ethereum or others. But increasing levels of performance in some mining algorithms really does leave the door open for exploration of improved speeds on others, and you can rest assured that miners will, at the very least, attempt to achieve these optimizations in other cryptocurrencies.

All in all, if true, these reports lend credence to AMD's take on the RX Vega delays for stock build-up. And the situation seems to be less straightforward than one might hope when it comes to disabling these instructions, or only enabling them at a latter date, after gamers had already had some time to purchase their desired cards. Because these driver-level updates were apparently done with the intent to bolster gaming performance, I believe it's safe to assume AMD can't easily neuter the mining improvements without putting the increased gaming performance at risk as well. Let's see how this pans out, but consider yourselves at least warned - the RX Vega may see much reduced stock and increased pricing throughout if this scenario pans out. in the meantime, those Radeon Packs with both their shortcomings and opportunities are looking like an increasingly interesting way to get ahold of one of AMD's latest...

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:
It's almost as if AMD doesn't really care about gamers. Everyone should refuse buying second hand cards. That's f**k miners up as they won't get any financial returns from the hardware. And refuse to buy new ones if prices get stupid. That'll force AMD to decide who they want to support. Gamers or dumb a** miners. Cancerous mining nonsense...

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Maybe AMD needs to consider a separate SKU and/or driver for mining cards.

Hmm...
$500 for a card doing 30MH/s.
$500 for a "mining mode" that adds another 30MH/s.

That should keep the price for gamers down.
Makes sense?

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 1080 Gaming X 8GB
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Newegg has bumped Vega FE prices by $170 in anticipation. o_O

I think we can expect release day pricing to be some of the worst price gouging. Shame AMD cant cash in on that too.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X12 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei RAW
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
It's almost as if AMD doesn't really care about gamers. Everyone should refuse buying second hand cards. That's f**k miners up as they won't get any financial returns from the hardware.

The flaw with that plan is that real miners (the ones causing the shortages) don't resell cards they run them till they die or become obsolete (at which point they're worth like £50 tops). The ones that resell/reuse them are the gamers/hobbyists who only get involved in mining for a short time during the booms.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
The flaw with that plan is that real miners (the ones causing the shortages) don't resell cards they run them till they die or become obsolete (at which point they're worth like £50 tops). The ones that resell/reuse them are the gamers/hobbyists who only get involved in mining for a short time during the booms.

Exactly. Even if everyone refused to buy second hand cards it would make exactly 0 difference.

If this garbage continues I'll be forced to buy GTX 1080/Ti. There goes the idea of having AMD ever again...

NVIDIA cards are not immune to this, though for some reason 1080ti seems largely untouched.

Hmm...
$500 for a card doing 30MH/s.
$500 for a "mining mode" that adds another 30MH/s.

That should keep the price for gamers down.
Makes sense?

Maybe AMD needs to consider a separate SKU and/or driver for mining cards.

No, because there is no real way to separate mining from generic gaming compute. That is the crux of the problem.

My thoughts on this is pretty much as follows: It's not like VEGA stock was going to be adequate anyways (though this certainly did not help).

Last edited:

HZCH

If this garbage continues I'll be forced to buy GTX 1080/Ti. There goes the idea of having AMD ever again...

You know what ? That is exactly what I've done a month ago. Got one of the last correctly priced Ti in my country, as every other cards were getting a 20 to 30% rise... While not even in stock.

System Name Main setup
Processor i9 12900K
Motherboard Gigabyte z690 Gaming X
Cooling Water
Memory Kingston 32GB 5200@cl30
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTS 4090
Storage Adata SX8200 PRO 1 adn 2 TB, Samsung 960EVO, Crucial MX300 750GB Limited edition
Display(s) HP "cheapass" 34" 3440x1440
Case CM H500P Mesh
Audio Device(s) Logitech G933
Power Supply Corsair RX850i
Mouse G502
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software W11
hopefully they stop buying pascal HW and that way we will get cheap nvidia Cards, used 980TI has raised in Price the last 3-5 month because of the 10 series doing the same Grrrr....

You are not the only one who might do that, even I might end up with another nvidia card. my 970(bought during memorygate) is on its way out and since I got it from ebay and open box that gpu is ending in garbage bin. i was looking to get vega 56 bundle but looks like its another nvidia gpu for my pc.

used 980TI has raised in Price the last 3-5 month because of the 10 series doing the same Grrrr....
Technically the 980ti raised in value because all the new people jumping on the mining bandwagon eventually realised that Nvidia is highly competitive for mining these days and there's no point spending £300 on a used RX480 when you can get a higher performing 980ti for less. The 10 series was a similar story, once people realised that they had better performance/powerdraw than the RX series they jumped on them due to the AMD shortage and the prices mooned.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Now do that with the gaming performance and AMD's gonna save the world in one fell swoop

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Lol at all the butthurt and blaming AMD as if AMD has ANYTHING to do with the "mining crisis".

You're mad, b/c AMD has had superior cards for many years (forever) for this particular workload.

Boohoo. Go cry to mommy, so she can buy you one.

Little Huang is laughing all the way to the bank. They don't even have to trick you. You're tricking yourselves. Go buy an Intel CPU why you're at, so you can really stick it to AMD (as if they're profiting from inflated prices...).

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
I'm gonna try and cash in on this.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
We are blaming crypto miner degenerates for the major part...

I agree (as far as TPU is concerned), but I'm still inferring a lot of whine towards AMD.

It sounds like people want a driver gimping mining. Can you imagine the shit storm if that happened, even by some so-called miner haters?

Processor i7 6700k
Motherboard Asus Z170 Pro Gaming/AURA
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 LTT Edition
Memory 2 x 16 GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX580 Nitro+
Storage 970Evo Plus 1TB + 850 EVO 500 GB + WD Red 3 TB + HDST 4TB + Seagate 6TB
Display(s) 2x Asus MG279Q
Case Cooler Master Haf 912 Plus
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex SF-650F14MG
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
If this is right, it'a a hard decision for AMD. On one hand, they can sell as many Vega as they can produce, at a higher than initially expected price. This will really help them.
On the other hand, after the mining craze will pass (if it will ever pass), AMD will have a bad reputation, and most games will run inefficiently on AMD, because no one will use an AMD GPU and developers will want to optimise for nVidia. Picking up from there will be hard.

There is no manufacturing capacity that can satisfy this mining idiocy. And no one is going to build a new plant just to satisfy these demands when it can die over night. Just too much of a gamble increasing manufacturing capacities 10 fold and then it all dies off over night. It's why we have such clusterf**k. If there was guaranteed capacity needed, the'd done it already.

Lol at all the butthurt and blaming AMD as if AMD has ANYTHING to do with the "mining crisis".
LOL at all brainded and saying AMD has NOTHING todo with mining crisis while the tittle of this thread is "AMD RX Vega Mining Performance Reportedly Doubled With Driver Updates".

AMD NEEDS miners because they don't complain about issues with the drivers and pay double price for their cards. Perfect customers. If this trend continues, AMD will be able to sack all driver team and shrink driver to something like 10MB. Now they just need to figure out how to get 400€ for RX 570 directly to them selves, without feeding retailers.

Exactly. Even if everyone refused to buy second hand cards it would make exactly 0 difference.

NVIDIA cards are not immune to this, though for some reason 1080ti seems largely untouched.

No, because there is no real way to separate mining from generic gaming compute. That is the crux of the problem.

My thoughts on this is pretty much as follows: It's not like VEGA stock was going to be adequate anyways (though this certainly did not help).

1080ti and 1080 uses gddr5x, which does not work that good on ethereum(i.e. 1080 hash rate is much lower than gtx1070). Of course there's other coins where they excel better, but those are not yet very popular.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
LOL at all brainded and saying AMD has NOTHING todo with mining crisis while the tittle of this thread is "AMD RX Vega Mining Performance Reportedly Doubled With Driver Updates".

AMD NEEDS miners because they don't complain about issues with the drivers and pay double price for their cards. Perfect customers. If this trend continues, AMD will be able to sack all driver team and shrink driver to something like 10MB. Now they just need to figure out how to get 400€ for RX 570 directly to them selves, without feeding retailers.

That's not how it works and AMD isn't wasting time optimizing the driver for mining (Vega isn't even using any of Vegas features b/c they're so far behind LOL). Nor do they even give a shit about mining. Every chip made is already sold. There's no incentive to improve mining whatsoever.