• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel to Debut 8th Generation Core Family on August 21

Well no shit, you are talking 6-core and 8-core parts son.

Besides, in terms of standard open source projects, chromium is a pretty mixed workload.

7740x is 4 core. half the cores. and its faster.

as i said, plenty of situations where per core speed matters for programming.

i dont care AMD or intel. i have everything and I only care about what works.

all i want is a 300W 6Ghz quad core because its better for me for most things. wish they could start working in that direction again. but physics?

now its just a core war. sad.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
7740x is 4 core. half the cores. and its faster.

as i said, plenty of situations where per core speed matters for programming.

i dont care AMD or intel. i have everything and I only care about what works.

all i want is a 300W 6Ghz quad core because its better for me for most things. wish they could start working in that direction again. but physics?

now its just a core war. sad.

Meh, I'll concede then but only to the fact that it's a mixed bag. The core focus is a benefit to some of us.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
How is it religious when you can prove it with facts? More cores and cheaper = better for 99% of people.
Hard to believe that you figured that out all by yourself, since you obviously never picked up on the much more important aspects of either platform. Question: A 9-passenger Dodge minivan carries a lot more people than a Corvette - which one do you want to drive to take your date out for dinner? 99% of respondents picked the 'Vette...

It's because all their recent bragging is basically empty arguments and fake stats. Ryzen/TR have their place, but only for the 5% who create/edit/stream large video files and a few professional scientists, but even these people would be better served by an i9, if they can afford it. Intel is still the best option for most people and Ryzen worshipers hate it, hence the constant spewing of hatred.

What, are you talking about? Just because they keep releasing the absolute best and fastest CPUs in every price segment? And performance/price is rapidly increasing across the board at Intel, even on the traditionally ultra-expensive HEDT platform. Yeah, that's SO messed up. It's not panic, bro, it's laughter, as in "let's release some more fast CPUs that marginalize Ryzen even further than it already is, we'll have a another good laugh at their expense, while making a ton of money".
Don't mind the AMD trolls. They do this same crap in every social media. People don't usually brag about products that's inferior than the opposition but I guess the red team have no self-respect, speaking as if AMD is the one with the superior product.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
a lot of bs in comments again grow-up and move on
giphy.gif

a 6GHz single core cpu is always better than 2 x 3GHz cpus because of Amdahls Law.

the problem is there is a cap on the Ghz so everyone goes wider. but if they invented new physics and we had 24Ghz cpus, we would not need these oct cores.

I'll grant you your first point, but again, this goes back to my professional gamer example who does nothing but game all day. Sorry, but most people don't even have or need a 240 Hz Monitor for gaming right now. It's too expensive and the benefit is only there if you actually use it all day, like a professional gamer. So you're around 1% of people like that.

The second point is not the way you use a CPU when you work at a computer. Productivity is key and having multiple programs open that benefit from more cores/threads is all that matters. People don't use only one program as you're describing here. What if you just open Chrome, Photoshop and something else at the same time? That kind of parallelism will all benefit from more threads and it's how 99% of people actually use a computer.

Who talked about 240hz? Quake engine benefits from locked 240fps even at 60hz just like CS GO. You have no idea about competitive shooters. Also GamerNexus did a review some days ago about ryzen on 144hz and there wasn't a single game tested, I repeat, a single one that assured locked 144fps, while 7700k was flying.

You amd bots like to damage control a lot and minimize the ryzen disadvantages. Like for you there are a ton of guys that use photoshop while gaming, but "only 1% use high refresh gaming". Right.

Who talked about 240hz? Quake engine benefits from locked 240fps even at 60hz just like CS GO. You have no idea about competitive shooters. Also GamerNexus did a review some days ago about ryzen on 144hz and there wasn't a single game tested, I repeat, a single one that assured locked 144fps, while 7700k was flying.

You amd bots like to damage control a lot and minimize the ryzen disadvantages. Like for you there are a ton of guys that use photoshop while gaming, but "only 1% use high refresh gaming". Right.
Skylake X can also push high framerates as well. It isn't a one trick pony like Threadripper that only "pwns in Cinebench" but has the same gaming performance as Ryzen.

Yeah, I see so many people crying for 240 fps. Hehe... poor guy.

Come on... We all know games benefit much more from a good graphics card rather than the CPU. I'm saying 99% should rather invest that extra money into that instead of overpriced Intel. You're also very much on the "future proof" side, if you go for AMD today because of all those cores will not just benefit you today. It's all about cost/benefit at the end of the day. I never actually said "AMD is faster everywhere, guys" but people still freak out... Do people actually know what cost/benefit means? I'm starting to doubt it. People always assume when somebody is questioning Intel, it's like a personal attack on their livelihood lol.

If you're in the 1% who already has the best graphics card and needs that extra fps, yea, go Intel all the way. I said it right at the beginning about pro gamers before all the shit dropped as expected. But if you're actually interested in cost/benefit like 99% of people, it's AMD all the way right now. Disprove this claim, not what you think I said (strawman). If you buy AMD today, you can have enough extra money to buy a better graphics card and still have more cores than going Intel. But get Intel if you are going for prestige and think the CPU is your best bet to get more fps. o_O

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
Desktop Ryzens in laptops seem way more interesting.

In the magical world where thermodynamics is irrelevant maybe.

In the magical world where thermodynamics is irrelevant maybe.
ASUS already released a notebook with Ryzen. Only ASUS. Do you think that it is a notebook CPU released earlier by AMD? We will see.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
ASUS already released a notebook with Ryzen. Only ASUS. Do you think that it is a notebook CPU released earlier by AMD? We will see.

No. ASUS announced a Notebook with Desktop Ryzen. It's yet to actually appear for purchase (it's listed at Overclockers.uk but it doesn't appear in Google's Shopping Search and the specs listed don't match the Ryzen variant). It can likely be done, but odds are any laptop with a desktop CPU in it is going to have insanely low battery life, run incredibly hot, or be underclocked to make everything work. They could easily downclock a Ryzen 7 1700 and still advertise it as having the same CPU as a Desktop. In fact, their press release and information page makes no mention of clock speed at all.

No. ASUS announced a Notebook with Desktop Ryzen. It's yet to actually appear for purchase (it's listed at Overclockers.uk but it doesn't appear in Google's Shopping Search and the specs listed don't match the Ryzen variant). It can likely be done, but odds are any laptop with a desktop CPU in it is going to have insanely low battery life, run incredibly hot, or be underclocked to make everything work. They could easily downclock a Ryzen 7 1700 and still advertise it as having the same CPU as a Desktop. In fact, their press release and information page makes no mention of clock speed at all.
Nope. It was already tested but he cannot tell anything precise about performance:

As far as I remember, it is a 1700 inside.

Also, https://www.bit-tech.net/previews/t...preview-asus-rog-strix-gl702zc-benchmarked/5/ has tested early version of the ASUS laptop with R6 1600. They say:
"Again, our results should be taken with a pinch of salt due to this being an early sample."
"where core and thread counts matter – Cinebench and Terragen 4 – the Ryzen 5 1600 CPU shows real strength, smashing the scores of laptops with the four-core/eight-thread Intel Core i7-7700HQ"
"Stressing the CPU with Prime95 saw temperatures hit 95°C with 3.3GHz maintained across the cores and 173W being drawn at the wall."

Last edited:

Yeah desktop cpus on laptops are done before i.e. Eurocom Sky X9W with 91W i7 6700k. But I have hard time to call them laptops, some sort of franken portable PCs they are. The real laptop would be with ryzen APU when ever they come. I'm just a bit worried about the graphics division though, which perf/W is now quite low. I.e. desktop RX 550 is a dog of gpu and it's still 50W part.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Nope. It was already tested but he cannot tell anything precise about performance:

As far as I remember, it is a 1700 inside.

Also, https://www.bit-tech.net/previews/t...preview-asus-rog-strix-gl702zc-benchmarked/5/ has tested early version of the ASUS laptop with R6 1600. They say:
"Again, our results should be taken with a pinch of salt due to this being an early sample."
"where core and thread counts matter – Cinebench and Terragen 4 – the Ryzen 5 1600 CPU shows real strength, smashing the scores of laptops with the four-core/eight-thread Intel Core i7-7700HQ"
"Stressing the CPU with Prime95 saw temperatures hit 95°C with 3.3GHz maintained across the cores and 173W being drawn at the wall."
35mm thick and weighing in at 3.2kg.

'Nuff said.

Only in the world of rabid AMD fanboys someone gets shafted. In this world anyone who buys anything produced by NVIDIA and Intel gets shafted automatically.

By this token there should be no progress at all.

By the same token companies should never release new slightly better products within 24 months after release.

By the same token people who strive for the highest performance, no matter the cost, are utter idiots (e.g. all those who have bought NVIDIA's Titans/Ti's or Intel's HEDT CPUs).

It's getting utterly ridiculous. Every news where Intel or NVIDIA gets mentioned turns into some holy war against these companies even when they release decent products at decent prices.

Could we please stop with that and instead discuss the actual products without this frantic fanboyism?

This final paragraph will probably draw a lot of flak but I'm gonna utter it anyways. Last but not least anyone who has replaced their working Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge/Haswell/SkyLake systems with equivalent (the same core/threads count) Kaby Lake CPUs is indeed an idiot unless the said person absolutely couldn't live without new platform features (NVMe/M.2/USB-C/etc.).

Amen.

Stop with this annoying AMD religious hate preaching against Intel. What are you? Jehova's witness? Its becoming really annoying trying to find any constructive comments.
Stop being a drama queen.
BTW you couldn't PAY me to use AMD products ever again after getting screwed over TWICE by AMD products.
Seems like your loss. AMD's latest offerings are very impressive and are much more capable then Intel's current lineup. Even the newest Intel products are somewhat lacking by comparison. Though there is no doubt they will catch up, it is clear AMD caught Intel with their pants down. There is however no reason to hold a grudge like this.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
AMD's latest offerings are very impressive and are much more capable then Intel's current lineup. Even the newest Intel products are somewhat lacking by comparison.
Another so-called enthusiast who only believes AMD press releases and fanboy posts regardless of all facts to the contrary. Happy gaming on that slow crap. Instead of crying inconsolably from buyer's remorse, you can bask in the glow of AMD's new press release lies when "Ryzen 2" comes out, and continue to deny reality. Not surprising from people who can't do simple math.

System Name Poke
Processor i7-7700K OC 4.8 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 280
Memory G.skill TridentZ DDR4 16GB 2X8GB kit 3600 Mhz XMP
Video Card(s) Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080TI FE
Storage Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB SSD / Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500 GB HDD
Display(s) Asus VG248QE 144 Hz
Case NZXT H440 Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair RM750i
Mouse Logitech G403 Prodigy
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
Software Win 10 Home x64
Seems like your loss. AMD's latest offerings are very impressive and are much more capable then Intel's current lineup. Even the newest Intel products are somewhat lacking by comparison. Though there is no doubt they will catch up, it is clear AMD caught Intel with their pants down. There is however no reason to hold a grudge like this.
At this moment AMD is getting their pants up you mean?
They offer cheaper products but the BEST offering comes from Intel when we talk about the real deal, performance, we are all agree that Intel's prices are too high, i won't be gaming on that slow crap from AMD anyways, and i am sure Coffe Lake will wipe the floor with AMD next offerings.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
U series? Than it is more like a desktop i3 in performance. :D Desktop Ryzens in laptops seem way more interesting.

A desktop i3 has like 2Ghz on it in base clock speeds, so the desktop i3 wins. As for desktop CPUs in laptops ... generally a terrible idea unless you want one of them 15kg "laptops".
Another so-called enthusiast who only believes AMD press releases and fanboy posts regardless of all facts to the contrary. Happy gaming on that slow crap. Instead of crying inconsolably from buyer's remorse, you can bask in the glow of AMD's new press release lies when "Ryzen 2" comes out, and continue to deny reality. Not surprising from people who can't do simple math.

The only way Ryzen can be called "slow crap" is if you define it as "slower than Intel".

I really don't understand why this is so polarizing. It's CPU performance, not religion.