• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Announces Financial Results for Second Quarter Fiscal 2018

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
NVIDIA today reported record revenue for the second quarter ended July 30, 2017, of $2.23 billion, up 56 percent from $1.43 billion a year earlier, and up 15 percent from $1.94 billion in the previous quarter.

• Record revenue of $2.23 billion, up 56 percent from a year ago
  • GAAP EPS of $0.92, up 124 percent from a year ago
  • Non-GAAP EPS of $1.01, up 91 percent from a year ago
  • Broad growth across all platforms
  • GAAP earnings per diluted share for the quarter were $0.92, up 124 percent from $0.41 a year ago and up 16 percent from $0.79 in the previous quarter. Non-GAAP earnings per diluted share were $1.01, up 91 percent from $0.53 a year earlier and up 19 percent from $0.85 in the previous quarter.

"Adoption of NVIDIA GPU computing is accelerating, driving growth across our businesses," said Jensen Huang, founder and chief executive officer of NVIDIA. "Datacenter revenue increased more than two and a half times. A growing number of car and robot-taxi companies are choosing our DRIVE PX self-driving computing platform. And in Gaming, increasingly the world's most popular form of entertainment, we power the fastest growing platforms - GeForce and Nintendo Switch.

"Nearly every industry and company is awakening to the power of AI. Our new Volta GPU, the most complex processor ever built, delivers a 100-fold speedup for deep learning beyond our best GPU of four years ago. This quarter, we shipped Volta in volume to leading AI customers. This is the era of AI, and the NVIDIA GPU has become its brain. We have incredible opportunities ahead of us," he said.

Capital Return
During the first half of fiscal 2018, NVIDIA paid $758 million in share repurchases and $166 million in cash dividends. For fiscal 2018, NVIDIA intends to return $1.25 billion to shareholders through ongoing quarterly cash dividends and share repurchases.NVIDIA will pay its next quarterly cash dividend of $0.14 per share on September 18, 2017, to all shareholders of record on August 24, 2017.

NVIDIA's outlook for the third quarter of fiscal 2018 is as follows:

• Revenue is expected to be $2.35 billion, plus or minus two percent.
  • GAAP and non-GAAP gross margins are expected to be 58.6 percent and 58.8 percent, respectively, plus or minus 50 basis points.
  • GAAP operating expenses are expected to be approximately $672 million. Non-GAAP operating expenses are expected to be approximately $570 million.
  • GAAP other income and expense is expected to be an expense of approximately $2 million, inclusive of additional charges from early conversions of convertible notes. Non-GAAP other income and expense is expected to be nominal.
  • GAAP and non-GAAP tax rates are both expected to be 17 percent, plus or minus one percent, excluding any discrete items. GAAP discrete items include excess tax benefits or deficiencies related to stock-based compensation, which we expect to generate variability on a quarter by quarter basis.
  • Capital expenditures are expected to be approximately $65 million to $75 million.

Second Quarter Fiscal 2018 Highlights

Datacenter:

• Announced and began shipping NVIDIA Tesla V100 GPU accelerators, the first GPU based on the new Volta architecture.
  • Unveiled new lineup of NVIDIA DGX AI supercomputers, with a large installation at Facebook.
  • Announced the NVIDIA GPU Cloud Platform, giving developers a comprehensive software suite for AI development.
  • Disclosed that the world's 13 most energy-efficient supercomputers on the Green 500 list run on NVIDIA Tesla accelerators.
  • Announced partnerships with VW and Baidu to bring AI deeper into their organizations.

Gaming:
  • Introduced Max-Q, a design approach to make gaming laptops thinner, quieter and faster.
  • Collaborated with Activision and Bungie to bring Destiny 2 to the PC for the first time.
  • Expanded GeForce Experience to China, at the ChinaJoy gaming conference.

Professional Visualization:
  • Introduced Project Holodeck, a photorealistic, collaborative VR environment.
  • Announced steps to bring AI to ray tracing to advance the iterative design process, including the launch of NVIDIA OptiX 5.0 SDK.
  • Launched NVIDIA TITAN X and NVIDIA Quadro external GPU support for the 25 million creative professionals using thin and light notebooks.
  • Released the NVIDIA VRWorks 360 Video SDK, which enables high-quality, 360-degree live stereo streaming.

Automotive:
  • Toyota selected NVIDIA DRIVE PX for its next-generation autonomous cars.
  • Volvo and Autoliv selected DRIVE PX for self-driving cars targeted to hit the market by 2021.
  • ZF and HELLA, two leading automotive suppliers, announced a system based on DRIVE PX to deliver the highest NCAP safety ratings for cars.
  • Baidu announced that its Project Apollo open-source self-driving platform for the China market will use DRIVE PX.

Edge Computing:
  • Introduced the NVIDIA Isaac robot simulator for training intelligent machines in simulated real-world conditions before deployment.
  • Announced the NVIDIA Metropolis platform, used by more than 50 partners to make cities safer and smarter by applying deep learning to video streams.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name cryohellinc PC
Processor i7-4770k @4.5ghz
Motherboard MSI Z87 MPOWER
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series™ H115i
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16gb @1600mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Sea Hawk GTX 1080 2100mhz
Storage 3ssd - 64gb (software) ;128 (software + operational system); 256gb - Games + 1TB HDD
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Obsidian Series® 750D Full Tower ATX Case
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR + Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250Ω
Power Supply Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei
Keyboard SteelSeries 6gv2 + custom O-Rings. Using Via PS2 connector
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Nvidia is doing really well, and unlike Intel even thou its products are expensive Nvidia delivers innovation and performance.

miki

Nvidia is doing really well, and unlike Intel even thou its products are expensive Nvidia delivers innovation and performance.

Its because Nvidia has strong competition from AMD, intel had virtualy none for almost 5-6 years.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Actually no , Nvidia is big in data centers more so than AMD right now and they are actually competing with Intel there. And they are killing them , they have pretty much monopolized on emerging fields such as AI and automotive automation.

The more times passes by the more I realize Intel has no idea what they are doing , they clearly let Nvidia snatch away a good chunk of what could have been part of their business.

Actually no , Nvidia is big in data centers more so than AMD right now and they are actually competing with Intel there. And they are killing them , they have pretty much monopolized on emerging fields such as AI and automotive automation.

Maybe in the near future yes, but for now...

Intel Data Center revenue Q2 2017: $4.4 billion or 9% increase vs Q2 2016.
Nvidia Data Center revenue Q2 2017: $151 million

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I was talking about those respective fields where Intel has nothing on Nvidia and those could return billions in the future.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Thank the Miners, NVIDIA...

I wish it died already... miners are selfish bastards.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
As said it's not just miners, Nvidia have done a great job of diversifying themselves.

But then it also helps they released products well over a year ago that still don't have any competition.

System Name Main setup
Processor i9 12900K
Motherboard Gigabyte z690 Gaming X
Cooling Water
Memory Kingston 32GB 5200@cl30
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTS 4090
Storage Adata SX8200 PRO 1 adn 2 TB, Samsung 960EVO, Crucial MX300 750GB Limited edition
Display(s) HP "cheapass" 34" 3440x1440
Case CM H500P Mesh
Audio Device(s) Logitech G933
Power Supply Corsair RX850i
Mouse G502
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software W11

The more times passes by the more I realize Intel has no idea what they are doing , they clearly let Nvidia snatch away a good chunk of what could have been part of their business.

Intel has signed a deal with Audi regarding Automotive automation so i think they are ok...

Nvidia needs to send a basket with wine and flowers to AMD or Raja (the cigar slinging AMD guy) with a big Thank you note..... :)

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
I have to give credit and congrats to Nvidia for continually finding new ways to make money from it's GPUs. While AMD's difficulties are giving Nvidia the chance to make more and more money in the gaming market, it's amazing how many markets they are addressing with a product that was considered secondary compared to the main CPU a few years ago. They are trying really hard to put the GPU in as many "driver's seats" as they can.

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
VR HMD Pico 4 128GB AIO VR Headset* (* = in consideration of getting one)
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 (Update 22H2)
as expected from the Green Camp. Kudos to them for opening more opportunities for new people to join the bandwagon.

This is Intel, and I still hear people often praise them for their great innovation in SSDs... SSDs, seriously? Can't a multi-billion dollar company come up with something more... profitable? And no matter how much they innovate there, people still buy SSDs from Samsung or literally anybody else but Intel. Intel definitely seems like the most risk averse of the multinational tech companies. Maybe it's finally time to move on to something else? Even if it completely fails, like Google Glass, you could at least say you tried. :)

Last edited:
Intel has signed a deal with Audi regarding Automotive automation so i think they are ok...

Nvidia needs to send a basket with wine and flowers to AMD or Raja (the cigar slinging AMD guy) with a big Thank you note..... :)

Heh that is actually funny one: nvidia and intel are both in bed with audi on that one. Though I would say intel is there because of acquirement of techfirm(mobileye) and nvidia because of it's own homebrew tech.

Has nothing to do with miners. GTX1060 was already the most used GPU on steam stats way before the mining craze.

Also Nvidia is involved on Nintendo Switch wich is having massive success.

Nvidia Shield 2.0 is selling like hot cakes on amazon (that´s normal with such power for 180€ with a nvidia controller + nvidia remote + 60hz 4k HDMI2.0 output).

The next step for nvidia is entering the non-portable consoles market. ARM is evolving fast and has already plenty power to run the lastest game engines (Unreal Engine, Frostbite, etc) at 60fps. Expect a custom ARM Cpu+Gpu Nvidia chip soon to compete on that market.

Has nothing to do with miners. GTX1060 was already the most used GPU on steam stats way before the mining craze.

Also Nvidia is involved on Nintendo Switch wich is having massive success.

Nvidia Shield 2.0 is selling like hot cakes on amazon (that´s normal with such power for 180€ with a nvidia controller + nvidia remote + 60hz 4k HDMI2.0 output).

The next step for nvidia is entering the non-portable consoles market. ARM is evolving fast and has already plenty power to run the lastest game engines (Unreal Engine, Frostbite, etc) at 60fps. Expect a custom ARM Cpu+Gpu Nvidia chip soon to compete on that market.

Not sure why would they do that though. Xavier has so many features for automotive, which just consumes power and are useless for console market. And profit to gain on automotive is order of magnitude higher that console side. Maybe if they do another volta tegra gpu, tailored for console gaming market but I have my doubts about it. Gaming gpus is still the market where they got most of the revenue, but overall revenue is rinsing on all segments(see *).

upload_2017-8-11_15-37-43.png

One interesting note is that Intel payments are over, though it has little effect on actual revenue numbers now anyway.

*Q2FY18 CFO Commentary final

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Not sure why would they do that though. Xavier has so many features for automotive, which just consumes power and are useless for console market. And profit to gain on automotive is order of magnitude higher that console side. Maybe if they do another volta tegra gpu, tailored for console gaming market but I have my doubts about it. Gaming gpus is still the market where they got most of the revenue, but overall revenue is rinsing on all segments(see *).

One interesting note is that Intel payments are over, though it has little effect on actual revenue numbers now anyway.

But that is jsut the benefit of their tech, it is really easy to change it for a completely different purpose (and with ARM, really cheap too).

If nvidia wanted to, they could make a bonkers ARM console chip. The margins, though, are too low for nvidia to bother with.

$2.23 billions in revenue is no small feat. Well done Nvidia! They have qualified people at the top running things and making smart decisions.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P

6.37% of steam users who completed the hardware survey have a gtx 1060. Miners are buying them in lots of thousands. I would say that does make a difference.

As has been said it isn't just that making nvidia hold this position however. I would love to see number of gpus sold.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
This is Intel, and I still hear people often praise them for their great innovation in SSDs... SSDs, seriously? Can't a multi-billion dollar company come up with something more... profitable? And no matter how much they innovate there, people still buy SSDs from Samsung or literally anybody else but Intel. Intel definitely seems like the most risk averse of the multinational tech companies. Maybe it's finally time to move on to something else? Even if it completely fails, like Google Glass, you could at least say you tried. :)

Intel's innovation was the X25 line. They showed everyone how it's done and then they moved on to more lucrative business. They don't need to build drives as long as there's enough demand for their chips.
And if feel like they're playing safe and not innovating, maybe you should look up X-Point?

Our PC OEM revenue includes GPUs designed for mainstream desktops, notebooks, and cryptocurrency mining. The recent rise in crypto coin prices resulted in increased demand in OEM GPU sales. Tegra Processor business revenue, which included gaming development platforms and services, was $333 million, up 101 percent from a year ago and flat sequentially. Tegra business revenue includes SOC modules for the Nintendo Switch gaming console and development services. Also included was record automotive revenue of $142 million, which was up 19 percent from a year earlier and up 1 percent sequentially, incorporating infotainment modules, production DRIVE PX platforms, and development agreements for self-driving cars.

Heh so they are all ready sold some gpus to cryptominers. At least they said which segment the Switch revenue goes.

But that is jsut the benefit of their tech, it is really easy to change it for a completely different purpose (and with ARM, really cheap too).

If nvidia wanted to, they could make a bonkers ARM console chip. The margins, though, are too low for nvidia to bother with.

Well I would not call it cheap to design and verify new chips, but yeah if they are confident that they will get good money from it then why not.

Intel's innovation was the X25 line. They showed everyone how it's done and then they moved on to more lucrative business. They don't need to build drives as long as there's enough demand for their chips.
And if feel like they're playing safe and not innovating, maybe you should look up X-Point?
And again, all about SSD's ...

Safe is what gets you killed and Intel is being killed right now just because of their monolithic product line.

6.37% of steam users who completed the hardware survey have a gtx 1060. Miners are buying them in lots of thousands. I would say that does make a difference.

As has been said it isn't just that making nvidia hold this position however. I would love to see number of gpus sold.

Steam Stats charts are dominated by Nvidia GPUs. They are established everywhere, from desktops to laptops. Their work on laptop chips was amazing on 10 series (no more GTX1060m etc). Exactly same chip as desktop counterparts, with lower clocks (on gtx1070 and gtx1080).

I am 100% sure Nvidia is interested in being involved on the next generation consoles. The margin might not be the same as on GPUs, but that´s the same for nintendo switch, low margin, but it is there. Imagine if Sony decided PS5 would use a nvidia chip with arm cpu+volta (or even pascal) gpu. Look what nvidia done with their laptop chips, exactly the same as desktop ones (lower clocks on the high-end models). They work, they don´t overheat and have the peformance. MaxQ aswell!! That´s a console dream.

The problem in 2012 (when this console gen started to be planed) the high-end ARM chip couldn´t even compete with a laptop haswell low power Pentium 3550M. In 2017 you look at Snapdragon 835 wich competes against a Sandy Bridge i5 performance, plenty for 60fps on any game engine (PS4/Xbox Jaguar cpu is weaker than Snapdragon 835 btw).

10nm, low power consumption, good performance, plently space to put a gpu inside the apu. And very important! Licensing costs! x86 is hella expensive. Makes all sense for nvidia to get in the game. They were always involved with consoles (xbox nvidia gpu, ps3 nvidia gpu, for example).

Its because Nvidia has strong competition from AMD, intel had virtualy none for almost 5-6 years.
AMD barely can beat GTX 970 with it's current offerings, what competition you're talking about? :-D And just before you say, Vega isn't out yet.

AMD barely can beat GTX 970 with it's current offerings, what competition you're talking about? :-D And just before you say, Vega isn't out yet.

Funny thing about what you just said, is that it is very rude but when we analyze it you are saying the truth. That´s how bad it is lol

And we always tend to overlook the laptops market. Where are the AMD cards for those devices? They are very important on the market