• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Water Cooled Vega 64 Overclocked And Tested By TomsHardware

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Okay.

I'm wrong.

It's not GCN. It's entirely different. Nothing like it.

I accept my errors and will move on.

Back to the OP. Vega 64 is not going to get much faster. The review sites seem to concur that it is already running at pumped up volts and speeds to fight with the 1080. Water cooling makes it quieter and gives it a little headroom but it is already up near it's limits. Not unlike the Ryzen chips I guess and one of the reasons there are power limits on cards now with limited voltage controls.

Toms blow bro!

Christ it's a pathetic site for any info imho.

Basically anything owned by Purch.

SPOT ON LOLZ! @ TOMS fail site!

Okay, if you guys say so. Toms has yet to let me down in probably a span of a decade, just about everything I have read has been factual and reviews are generally nicer but seem unbiased for the most part. If you guys don't care for Tom's then why did you guys even open up this thread? However, I am willing to listen, what do you guys find so fail and bad about Tom's? Their forums are actually full of a lot of helpful and knowledgeable members in my opinion.

Okay.

Back to the OP. Vega 64 is not going to get much faster. The review sites seem to concur that it is already running at pumped up volts and speeds to fight with the 1080. Water cooling makes it quieter and gives it a little headroom but it is already up near it's limits. Not unlike the Ryzen chips I guess and one of the reasons there are power limits on cards now with limited voltage controls.

Right, personally I didn't think it would. However, there were/are plenty of people that may change their minds now after seeing how the liquid cooled variant performs. Oh well, I hope they do better on their next cards although that may be in another couple to few years.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Damn @the54thvoid tried to talk some sense into egotistical fans. Don't bother dude, it ain't gonna work. Grown ass adult would rather do a million other things than agreeing with you over internet debate.

Plain and simple, emotionally invested in certain brand/product.

As for me I simply got burned hard by AMD next to nothing technical support. I am not even mad about Fiji performance, as I was not really expecting much from beginning.

At the end of the day, action speaks louder than any words. See these people defending vega, are they actually supporting AMD with their money? Heck no. They are not stupid. Vega is hot, slow, late, power hungry, hard to find and on top of all that, freaking expensive. Just like @RejZoR who was defending Vega furiously, what did he do? He bought another Nvidia GPU, 1080Ti.

@the54thvoid

No, GPxxx are very much similar cores as they are based of the same thing, just different basic elements arrangement and clocks. Vega is NOTHING like Fiji. Same arrangement of basic units, but the rest in between, underneath and above is totally different.

Go read Anandtech Vega review. Vega is GCN. Good old plain GCN with some minor patch at front end.

CU arrays, exact the 64*64 array copy and paste from Fiji
Async Engine, exact 4 like Fiji
ROP and TMU are also exactly the same.

The bulk of the additional transistors are used to increase pipeline stages to allow higher frequency. Or as people are familiar with: the route of Pentium
4 and faildozer

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Engineer or not, Vega is middle of the road for gaming, doesn't meet power consumption goals, and if anyone unbiased looks at the chip can clearly tell it's more compute oriented.

It's the F35, over budget, underperforming, attempt to be too much for too many.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Engineer or not, Vega is middle of the road for gaming, doesn't meet power consumption goals, and if anyone unbiased looks at the chip can clearly tell it's more compute oriented.

It's the F35, over budget, underperforming, attempt to be too much for too many.

Nah, it is Raja trying to make something good when Lisa only gave him some crayons. RTG is piss poor. And good design requires good engineers that are well paid.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
tl;dr Vega 64 is a turd and no amount of polishing AMD can do will change that. They should've accepted their inability to compete with Pascal, released Vega as Vega 56 and not Vega 64, and moved on.

As we know by now, Vega10 gpus can be heavily undervoltaged.

I guess you didn't actually bother to read the linked article, in which Tom's did just that, and found the only result was horrible instability.

As we know by now, Vega10 gpus can be heavily undervoltaged.
Rubbish.
If Vega can be undervolted, why didn't AMD do it?
Rationalism is weak among AMD fans. :eek:

Undervolting and underclocking makes sense, if you don't need some of the performance (I don't think Vega buyers will have this sensation).
Undervolting and leaving clocks unchanged is just asking for trouble.

Oh for god sake, will you all stop drooodling about fucking GCN already, geeeeeeeeeeez. For you lot, Everything from HD7000 up to Vega is EXACTLY the same.

What defines the chip is not just the basis (GCN in this case) but what the chip is capable of. How can you call Vega the same as Fiji when Fiji has no HBC, no TBR, only has DX12_0 support, doesn't support Primitive Shaders and bunch of other crap? Not to mention they had to change whole rasterizer stage which is evident from higher achievable clocks as well as the fact that at low resolutions, it doesn't trail behind others like Fiji did which had problems with utilization.

Just because you see 4096 shader units and then it's just all the same. That's like saying Zastava Yugo is exactly the same as Lamborghini Aventador. They both have 4 wheels and a steering wheel, so it has to be exactly the same. Since people only seem to get it when you convert things into car analogy...

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Oh for god sake, will you all stop drooodling about fucking GCN already, geeeeeeeeeeez. For you lot, Everything from HD7000 up to Vega is EXACTLY the same.

What defines the chip is not just the basis (GCN in this case) but what the chip is capable of. How can you call Vega the same as Fiji when Fiji has no HBC, no TBR, only has DX12_0 support, doesn't support Primitive Shaders and bunch of other crap? Not to mention they had to change whole rasterizer stage which is evident from higher achievable clocks as well as the fact that at low resolutions, it doesn't trail behind others like Fiji did which had problems with utilization.

Just because you see 4096 shader units and then it's just all the same. That's like saying Zastava Yugo is exactly the same as Lamborghini Aventador. They both have 4 wheels and a steering wheel, so it has to be exactly the same. Since people only seem to get it when you convert things into car analogy...

Nah , it was Fiji all along. It was just a prank.

Quick ! A Scooby-Doo villain maymay. :cool:

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
And we are back to car analogy again. :D

Yeah, well, people look and number of shaders, oh it's the same, so it must be the same core. It's why I used the 4 wheels and a steering wheel analogy. If people don't understand core structure, damn, at least they'll understand from something they use daily. Or people here don't even drive cars?

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
It is a truly unfortunate event you did not buy a Vega. That would boost your argument 100X times better. You know, wrtite your own reviews and prove all doubters wrong. Or better , prove all the professional reviewers wrong. Truly a shame you went with Nvidia once again.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
Tomshardware would be a decent site... if it weren't for the horrendous amount/placement of ads.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Tomshardware would be a decent site... if it weren't for the horrendous amount/placement of ads.

Oh cat i hated that auto play video on every fucking page.

It is a truly unfortunate event you did not buy a Vega. That would boost your argument 100X times better. You know, wrtite your own reviews and prove all doubters wrong. Or better , prove all the professional reviewers wrong. Truly a shame you went with Nvidia once again.

Well, I was not in the mood of waiting anymore. Aftermarket air cooled models are still so far away I just couldn't be bothered to wait anymore. They said RX Vega launch in 2H 2017 at first. Fine, I've defended them all this time and was prepared to wait. And all ve got was Vega FE. So we waited another month for anuncement of REFERENCE models. And then we're suppose to wait ANOTHER month for aftermarket ones. Cooooome on.

If they launched reference and aftermarket models on 14th August, it would be very likely I'd actually grab RX Vega out of curiosity. Performance metrics are quite ok actually as I was, I just realized I couldn't work out the AiO in my case (similar problem as Fury X. And there is no way I'm gonna use blower coz they all suck. Literally. So, I turned to products that had all that. And while I was at it, I just said, fuck it and went all out crazy on it buying one of the most beefy versions. Because why not.

Main AMD's issue is they keep on cocking up their release timings. I was fine with the late 2H 2017 release. Since we assumed they're hard launching the whole product line. Instead they streatched it from 2H across to Q3 for the actual consumer products and even then availability will be questionable.

I'm still all enthusiastic about features RX Vega offers, I just won't be experiencing them first hand. Now that I'll have the fastest damn thing on the planet, I'll wait for Navi easier. I don't know...

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Well, I was not in the mood of waiting anymore. Aftermarket air cooled models are still so far away I just couldn't be bothered to wait anymore. They said RX Vega launch in 2H 2017 at first. Fine, I've defended them all this time and was prepared to wait. And all ve got was Vega FE. So we waited another month for anuncement of REFERENCE models. And then we're suppose to wait ANOTHER month for aftermarket ones. Cooooome on.

If they launched reference and aftermarket models on 14th August, it would be very likely I'd actually grab RX Vega out of curiosity. Performance metrics are quite ok actually as I was, I just realized I couldn't work out the AiO in my case (similar problem as Fury X. And there is no way I'm gonna use blower coz they all suck. Literally. So, I turned to products that had all that. And while I was at it, I just said, fuck it and went all out crazy on it buying one of the most beefy versions. Because why not.

Main AMD's issue is they keep on cocking up their release timings. I was fine with the late 2H 2017 release. Since we assumed they're hard launching the whole product line. Instead they streatched it from 2H across to Q3 for the actual consumer products and even then availability will be questionable.

I'm still all enthusiastic about features RX Vega offers, I just won't be experiencing them first hand. Now that I'll have the fastest damn thing on the planet, I'll wait for Navi easier. I don't know...

I can buy you a vega64 in US and trade for your 1080Ti if you want. That would be a fair trade right? Besides all of these GPU should be overkill for your 1080p panel.

Also I don't think 1080Ti is the fastest. By your definition Vega is. Not now of course, maybe 5 yrs down the road.

What's wrong with not driving a car?

The problem is that a Fiji refresh could potentially perform similarly... or better.

I don't think it would. Knowing they had to redesign the render stages to hit current clocks of Vega, they'd realistically hit maybe 1.2 GHz on a 14nm Fiji. I don't think that would be enough. Plus, Fiji had issues with underutilization on lighter loads which was also solved on Vega with redesigned scheduler. So, we already have 2 things that needed to change. And they added highest DX12 support which also required chip redesign and HBC that extends memory constraints of HBM memory (on RX Vega 8GB you realistically have 16GB and on Vega FE 32GB of on-line memory or for "offline" compute, almost unlimited).

AMD actually has brilliant ideas, they are just screwed resources wise which is why they aren't hitting timeframes and bunch of stuff is dragged behind that. I hope Vega will still work out great in compute segment where margins are enormous and where real money is made so they'll be able to work on better consumer chips as well. And for people who wnated GTX 1080 level of performance and they don't mind waiting for AIB models sometime in september.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
tl;dr Vega 64 is a turd and no amount of polishing AMD can do will change that. They should've accepted their inability to compete with Pascal, released Vega as Vega 56 and not Vega 64, and moved on.

I guess you didn't actually bother to read the linked article, in which Tom's did just that, and found the only result was horrible instability.

A live video of RX56 is better proof of the opposite imho

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Undervolting is known to work very well on AMD cards. AMD always gives their cards a lot more much voltage than they actually need , probably in an attempt to make it so that they can use more dies.

It was the same with RX 480 , 290X , etc.

Last edited:
AMD actually has brilliant ideas, they are just screwed resources wise which is why they aren't hitting timeframes and bunch of stuff is dragged behind that.
Intel and NVIDIA also have brilliant ideas. It's just that their products work, so we're not talking about "great ideas" so much. With AMD you're forced to droll about all these technologies inside, because the sum of them, called "Vega", just doesn't stand out, so no one would care.
I hope Vega will still work out great in compute segment
To succeed in the compute segment they'll need a card made for compute segment. RX Vega is not that, AMD has pro cards in the lineup.
Undervolting is known to work very well on AMD cards. AMD always gives their cards a lot more much voltage than they actually need , probably in an attempt to make it so that they can use more dies.

It was the same with RX 480 , 290X , etc.
LOL. You've just said it. Some dies will be stable at lower voltage, some won't. That's true for all GPUs and all CPUs.
Yet, you and @HD64G are trying to make a general rule out of it.
You can buy your dreamed Vega and do with whatever you want.
Companies buying Vega-based cards for computation will not undervolt or overclock them. For them only the stock performance and efficiency matter.

Last edited:
You haven't actually read the rest of that post haven't you? You know, the part where I mentioned AMD's inability to materialize these brilliant ideas due to resources constraints...

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
So 64 has potential

You haven't actually read the rest of that post haven't you? You know, the part where I mentioned AMD's inability to materialize these brilliant ideas due to resources constraints...
LOL on the low resource constraints. If they don't have cash, they can find an investor. And if no other company or bank believes in their products, they can always try crowd-sourcing with their loyal fanboys.
This is just business. Your product is either profitable or not. Your forecast is either reliable or rubbish.
AMD is pretty small compared to major players in consumer electronics. There are many companies in US and Asia that could provide them a larger R&D budget - both financial institutions and companies within the industry.

It's not about lack of money. It's just that AMD can't (or doesn't want to) make proper mainstream products.
We know they can design and make proper chips. Things they do for other companies (consoles and Macs) are top-notch.
But with their own products they're aiming at niches - that's why they're becoming a niche manufacturer. Simple as that.