• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

another asus strix vega64 review?

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
What is your double posting point letho? The first post says there is a VRM disaster and comparing it to X299 (which is not proper considering the source of the VRM issue on X299 vs what is happening here) while these last two seem to be defending them and the cooling?

Interesting set first posts....

letho

“Directly at the top we can see at M1/M2/M3 that the GPU and the VRM area gets hot at up-to roughly 104 Degrees C. ”
Doesnt really help, does it?
indeed. not to mention it is on open test bench, the ambient temp should be lower compared to chassis inside.
guru3d keeps emphases its review sample is finalized product but not engineering sample, its really sad if this really is the final version.

letho

What is your double posting point letho? The first post says there is a VRM disaster and comparing it to X299 (which is not proper considering the source of the VRM issue on X299 vs what is happening here) while these last two seem to be defending them and the cooling?

Interesting set first posts....
i cant understand your statment...

the truth is that that area of vrm on asus strix is getting >100c, which is also confirmed by guru3d.
what i mean vrm disaster is that the vrm is having pretty bad cooling, thats it.

what i have defended???

just want to see a close up photo on that area of vrm from other review to check whether it is a common problem or the whole problem is made up by that chinese site.
because it is seriously overlooked by asus, if the problem is true.

Last edited:
Perhaps I misunderstood post #25 where you appeared to defend the cooling by quoting positive statements from Guru3D in a direct response to someone saying it still doesn't cover the whole thing(VRM)?

letho

Perhaps I misunderstood post #25 where you appeared to defend the cooling by quoting positive statements from Guru3D in a direct response to someone saying it still doesn't cover the whole thing(VRM)?
definitely not.
just pointed out the interesting point from guru3d review. it said the vrm is all padded well but the thermal test shows >100c on that area.

i cant confirm that guru3d has the same problem on its card, since there is no pics on guru3d that is clear enough to close up that area.
what guru3d said it is well padded seems to be confuse, maybe the sample of guru3d really dont have the exposed vrm problem, i dont know.

So wait....... where did your first pictures come from?

I'm going to drink some caffeine and take a look in the mirror to see if its just me getting confused here... I see the overall point, I guess, but, the rest of the posts seem to be all over the place, lol!

EDIT: I see where the first post came from now... !!!!!!

PS - Kindly stop double posting. If you have something to add to a post, edit it. See TPUs rules. :)

Does not surprise me, their quality control on R9 Fury Strix was a disaster too...

Looks like a rush job, seems that they're re-using heatsinks from other cards.

exactly.
strix vega64 pcb is even higher than 1080ti strix pcb. therefore the current strix vega64 cooler is quiet small compared to its strix vega 64 pcb. looks like a woman bra now...

It's nothing new, Several of the AIB makers that work with both Nvidia and AMD neglect the AMD cards and use recycled parts rather then design or build new parts for the AMD chips, Look at the Asus 290x DCUII or the MSI Gaming 290x both were mingers.
The big question for me is whether AMD have supplied the board partners with the C0 or C1 revision chips and the fact that the reviewers who've gotten hold of the Strix haven't answered this
question in the reviews seems a bit fishy, especially with reports of the board partners having problems developing their non-reference models,
It should be one of the first questions they look to answer.

No thanks. No time to figure out the point. Clifs + 15m vid = winning post.

15m vid + nothing = skipped. :)

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
finally someone's eng that i can read and understand:) thx dude.

thats is not bad for amd but asus, since this is a asus non reference card.
that quiet hot vrm on that area is also found by guru3d initial review that has been removed.
this chinese site review further reveals the reason behind that >100c vrm temp from guru3d, meaning it should not be a outlier.

the main problem, from my understanding to this chinese review, is that the strix vega64 cooler is not well custom made for strix vega64 pcb. and there is no excuse for asus letting that single mosfet being exposed on air, its is a design fault.

agreed. ir3555 is top tier mosfet. and twelve ir3555 for handling strix vega having 330w~390w power limit max (gpu only) is a piece of cake. but, still, in current standard, 2017, i dont and wont satisfied with this mistake.

mosfet can easily handle 125c or even 150c (shut down point), but all the optimized efficiency and current output are gone, these are negative related to vrm temp. it wont blow up, but why should us buy something superior like that but having worse performance, not to mention the lifespan of it under >100c.
So on the reffs and many cards vrms are intentionally left to air cool , not the main core vrms sure but some(memory vddc vddci) ,and the kurtness of the first post linked to a Chinese written web page is truly enlightening not.

Added to that a new member who is agro and insulting.

The strix got sent to reviewers with a reff stock bios , most reviews show this , asus actually reported this too thats why it looks a bit mundane in benches.

But it's also shitter then the ref in vrm terms , cheaper parts used in places.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
So wait....... where did your first pictures come from?

I'm going to drink some caffeine and take a look in the mirror to see if its just me getting confused here... I see the overall point, I guess, but, the rest of the posts seem to be all over the place, lol!

EDIT: I see where the first post came from now... !!!!!!

PS - Kindly stop double posting. If you have something to add to a post, edit it. See TPUs rules. :)

Hence why I Replied the way I did with post number 2. The rest of y'all here make sense this new guy doesn't.

letho

So on the reffs and many cards vrms are intentionally left to air cool , not the main core vrms sure but some(memory vddc vddci) ,and the kurtness of the first post linked to a Chinese written web page is truly enlightening not.

Added to that a new member who is agro and insulting.

The strix got sent to reviewers with a reff stock bios , most reviews show this , asus actually reported this too thats why it looks a bit mundane in benches.

But it's also shitter then the ref in vrm terms , cheaper parts used in places.
omg.
yes, many cards did have some vrm mosfets left for air.
but i have not ever seen a card just missing one mosfet properly cooled out of all vcore and hbm2 mosfet. some low end cards just left all vrm to air like gt750.
and vega64 is the highest end card of amd gpus, and should be really power hungry. and some ppl may even load up the power mod to get rid of power limit.

gladly the strix vega64 does not support the softpowerplaytable mod, and the current bios of asus strix vega64 bios on 17.9.2 has some bugs stopping oc confirmed by asus after jayztwocents has got some difficulties reviewing the card.

asus reported the stock bios problem after guru3d review posted.
and guru3d just stated that they did not get the correct bios from asus til now.

again, 115c for ir3555, 12 phase design for 330w actual power consumption reported by gpuz/hwinfo, is totally fine, imo.
if that term "vrm disaster" really got you, then i will present the problem in other way for you.

edited: actually that top mosfet could be the hbm2 mosfet, i should not make the assumption of that mosfet must be for vcore. sorry about that.
without further confirmation, maybe i should leave.

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
omg.
yes, many cards did have some vrm mosfets left for air.
but i have not ever seen a card just missing one mosfet properly cooled out of all vcore and hbm2 mosfet. some low end cards just left all vrm to air like gt750.
and vega64 is the highest end card of amd gpus, and should be really power hungry. and some ppl may even load up the power mod to get rid of power limit.

gladly the strix vega64 does not support the softpowerplaytable mod, and the current bios of asus strix vega64 bios on 17.9.2 has some bugs stopping oc confirmed by asus after jayztwocents has got some difficulties reviewing the card.

asus reported the stock bios problem after guru3d review posted.
and guru3d just stated that they did not get the correct bios from asus til now.

again, 115c for ir3555, 12 phase design for 330w actual power consumption reported by gpuz/hwinfo, is totally fine, imo.
if that term "vrm disaster" really got you, then i will present the problem in other way for you.
Right well imhho if your pushing it beyond official limits prepare , get a waterblock a 360 rad and go mental but know this my EK still officially leaves the memory vddc and vddci driver mosfets air gaped and cooled as are everything on the back of the card including some hot stuff and I'm clocking high if i want too, most usres wont though because it pulls a lot of watts and Will shut pcs down if they have sub top end psus ,all also facts all in gamers clock what they can get , enthusiasts aim for and get what they want mostly.
and im fine with my power usage ,it's tightly managed not left to run wild ,pesonally it always was

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Instead of griping return the card or modify it with the "missing" stuff.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I didn't take the bait..

"Ain't got no time fo' 'dat" :p
You watched it, I know you did, what else do ya do besides mod there and troll here? :fear:haha

I think the point was how poorly Asus and non reference PCB was a poor example of an AIB card..

And just pokin fun at ya dog.. I know you work hard :toast:

Edit: I only posted in here because of the title which made sense but the rest :confused:

Didn't it occur to anyone that that chip poking out of the heatsink isn't really a mosfet? It looks more like a voltage regulator that happens to be placed so close to the mosfets. Because mosfets NEVER have this many contacts to the PCB...

letho

Didn't it occur to anyone that that chip poking out of the heatsink isn't really a mosfet? It looks more like a voltage regulator that happens to be placed so close to the mosfets. Because mosfets NEVER have this many contacts to the PCB...
that is ir3555, which is a mosfet for sure.
there are some close up pics on the review site.

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.p...-vega-64-oc-edition-im-undervolting-test.html
another review shows the same problem indirectly.
beside, check the code printed on pcb next to the mosfet and inductor, the bottom mosfet's code is not followed the same order as others, namely pqu 500 instead of pqu 1xx.

that is ir3555, which is a mosfet for sure.
It's more than a MOSFET. It's an Multi Chip Module with an integrated driver + schottky diode + high-side MOSFET + low-side MOSFET.
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/pro...?productType=5546d462533600a401533d2513745e2e

Commonly known as DrMOS. ;)
beside, check the code printed on pcb next to the mosfet and inductor, the bottom mosfet's code is not followed the same order as others, namely pqu 500 instead of pqu 1xx.
Besides what? As in what's your point?