• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I lost 2TB worth of data and here is what I learned

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Tonight was like any other. I came home cleaned the cat box started the dishes and re-heated some old pizza. I booted my PC and logged in. Ten minutes or so later my wife came home.

The back story is that for the life of my chrome has not been running correctly. What I thought was simply an under powered CPU I started to notice the lagginess in general.

My setup was as follows.

RAID 0 array with games and redirected user profile folders (music movies pictures etc). This array weighed in at 6TB and as an added bonus a 128GB ADATA SSD was used as cache.

Now continuing on with my story.

I was pretty sick of chrome jittering and thinking it might be related to my RAID I opened up Intel RST. The thought process was to start mitigating issues by disabling array cache so I could see if raw throughput helped the issue, maybe it was a bug with cacheing.

My wife has been interviewing internally at <big insurance> and today was one such event. I just so happened to have RST open when she walked into the room. She started explaining the process and her day and I became distracted. At this moment I misread the array CP and deactivated my main array.

My machine being linked via user profile to this array and the cache disk buffering that array immediately locked my system. After several minutes the machine started to respond and my heart was already sinking. RAID 0 failures in the industry are generally 100% data loss cases. I decided to try my luck.

Carefully I made sure no disk software was running and that I did not write or modify any contents. I disabled my Acceleration SSD and was careful NOT to reboot. I downloaded Testdisk and attempted to write back the partition scheme to see if I could get RST to redetect the array. However it would NOT. Thinking it was either.

A: RST config said this wasn't supposed to be an array so I wont see it
B: It was RAID 0 and it really is just gone.

I finally concluded a full destroy was in order. I opened up disk management and deleted and wiped all independent disks and rebuilt the array and cache.

The actual story begins

Up until this point I neglected to mention I keep backups. Attached via network share is a 8TB array living in my server that acts as my data dump. With Windows 10 and really windows in general a backup software is included. Now I am NOT blaming Windows 10 and on the contrary it may be a bug with all versions of the OS.

Now that is out of the way. I opened up my backup and restore panel. I rather like the new Windows 10 backup interface and I have had alot of success with Windows shadow copies in general since I have had to restore on my server before. I was ready for a nice experience. However after opening the panel I was greeted by the normal backup schedule disk selection and specified folder when I noticed an issue.

Even though my backup is scheduled to take place every hour for differencing the last backup date was 10/5. Angry but not terrible I click to start the restore, some is better than none. Thats when I started running into issues. The backup only saw 3 available files but indicated every directory. I double checked to make sure my drive letters were correct thinking the software was making a destination assumption and if my drives were wrong it would give me limited options. However everything appeared to be in order.

Frustrated and plagued by lack of time I dove head long into the issue disregarding pretty interfaces. I soon found out the problems went deeper. Via the options menu of the backup I saw that my entire drive was no longer on the list. Instead ONLY my user profile folders were shown. However this conflicted with the recovery console given that it could see the file structure just not restore.

Taking the red pill

With a backup and 2TB missing it was inconceivable for me to admit defeat so deeper into the rabbit hole I went. This time with control panels and pleasantly rude screens cast aside for the real deal. I accessed my network share and started looking at the backup structure raw. There I found my first clue. The backup name is reference by he PC name. However the PC name was NOT the same as my PC. In fact I remember changing my name shortly after the last build upgrade I received.

Moving along I stumbled across my data. However it was indeed only from the 5th and indeed was ONLY the user profile folders, which are incredibly important but still I was missing root level folders such as programs and other misc data. However after digging none could be found.

With the data digging complete I reluctantly started the manual transfer from my share to its proper location on my RAID array. the puzzle was still infuriating however and even deeper I went.

Show me yours

After the transfer began I opened event log and started cross checking references. I wanted to see if there were backup errors I was missing. However try as I might I could not for the life of me find any log indicating backups were failing unlike Server OSs which make it apparent, the logs for my backup just seemed to stop around 8PM on October 5th. Confused I looked in other sections in system and applications hoping I could find any reason why the backup feature would fail. After several minutes I found it, or rather THEM.

The log files generally hold some pretty basic information, regardless of issue or category type all logs generally hold your PC name. From shutdowns to updates to DCOM warning your machine name is a part of almost every log file windows generates. As I was digging for an error I found a pattern. On October 5th around quarter passed 7PM my logs showed a reboot and a name change. I like many others like adding personality to my machine and I remember renaming it before I needed to reboot for updates.

After that point in time my logs indicated the machine name change however my backups stopped working the following hour, with all the settings schedule and configuration intact the only clue was that the folder on the share in which my backups were held was named so after my computer before I renamed it.

I can only conclude given the evidence I found that Renaming your PC will break the backup procedure even if settings and config persist. However it is important to note I was not using the still available "Windows 7 backup" but the new Windows 10 backup via the "Settings" menu.

Moving forward I will be more vigilant with my backups since even those may not be safe and before it gets out of hand NO I am not interested in your thoughts of preferred backup software. I am well acquainted with mericum, Acronis, Paragon and god forbid backup exec and I may just switch too one of them again.

Check backups often and if you don't backup as I always have I recommend you look into it.

PS. she didn't get the position.

Last edited:
System Name Warranty Void Mk.IV
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asus X470-I Strix
Cooling Arctic Freezer 240 + 2x Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 140mm / Silverstone 120mm Slim
Memory Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600MHz 2x8GB CL16 - Tightened Sub-timings
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra
Storage WD SN550 / MX300 / MX500
Display(s) AOC CU34G2 / LG 29UM69G-B - Auxilary
Case CM NR200p / Silverstone RVZ03-B
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC 1220+SupremeFX
Power Supply Corsair CX550M 550W / Silverstone SX650-G 650W
Mouse Logitech G302/G502/G203 / RPG: Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard CM Masterkeys Pro M / Asus Sagaris GK100
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 - LTSB
AFAIK, Windows shouldn't change the user.home (like C:\Users\usernamehere) folder's name because Windows and a lot of software depends on writing to it. The only thing that would change is how it's displayed throughout. I hope you're talking about that.

If you meant changing just the PC name, that shouldn't affect anything but the network config. Which, if you are offloading data to a separate storage on the network, you could have potential problems after the config was changed.

I don't trust any software to do backups for me. I do it by hand when required personally, the most important stuff I could keep is mods, my work and plain text files. All of which I oversee myself.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
multiple backups with offsite tapes or hds. 20 years and I haven't lost a thing.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
AFAIK, Windows shouldn't change the user.home (like C:\Users\usernamehere) folder's name because Windows and a lot of software depends on writing to it. The only thing that would change is how it's displayed throughout. I hope you're talking about that.

If you meant changing just the PC name, that shouldn't affect anything but the network config. Which if you are offloading data to a separate storage on the network, you could have potential problems after the config was changed.

No I wasnt. I re-routed my user profile to . seperate drive on my own. I specifically mentioned the PC name.

When Windows does a backup (without any prompting from you) it creates a folder to store the data. In my case it was

(Network drive): PC-Name\Solaris\

multiple backups with offsite tapes or hds. 20 years and I haven't lost a thing.

Maybe I should start backing up my personal rig to my S3 trolol

System Name Warranty Void Mk.IV
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asus X470-I Strix
Cooling Arctic Freezer 240 + 2x Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 140mm / Silverstone 120mm Slim
Memory Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600MHz 2x8GB CL16 - Tightened Sub-timings
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra
Storage WD SN550 / MX300 / MX500
Display(s) AOC CU34G2 / LG 29UM69G-B - Auxilary
Case CM NR200p / Silverstone RVZ03-B
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC 1220+SupremeFX
Power Supply Corsair CX550M 550W / Silverstone SX650-G 650W
Mouse Logitech G302/G502/G203 / RPG: Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard CM Masterkeys Pro M / Asus Sagaris GK100
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 - LTSB
No I wasnt. I re-routed my user profile to . seperate drive on my own. I specifically mentioned the PC name.

When Windows does a backup (without any prompting from you) it creates a folder to store the data. In my case it was

What I do is only reroute the directories to another drive, stuff like the music/photo and documents folders. I leave the user directory alone for compatibility. The only folder that stays is the hidden appdata folder, and I'm partially fine with that.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
What I do is only reroute the directories to another drive, stuff like the music/photo and documents folders. I leave the user directory alone for compatibility. The only folder that stays is the hidden appdata folder, and I'm partially fine with that.

Yup were saying the same thing.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.

Maybe I should start backing up my personal rig to my S3 trolol
Naw man not cloud. I literally give a buddy of mine a hd with all my files once a year. We trade off. I keep two hds in house for week to week backups when I was working from home. Old school man. It works!

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Naw man not cloud. I literally give a buddy of mine a hd with all my files once a year. We trade off. I keep two hds in house for week to week backups when I was working from home. Old school man. It works!

It does I can't deny it I do it in the office just not at home ah well!

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Tonight was like any other. I came home cleaned the cat box started the dishes and re-heated some old pizza. I booted my PC and logged in. Ten minutes or so later my wife came home.

The back story is that for the life of my chrome has not been running correctly. What I thought was simply an under powered CPU I started to notice the lagginess in general.

My setup was as follows.

RAID 0 array with games and redirected user profile folders (music movies pictures etc). This array weighed in at 6TB and as an added bonus a 128GB ADATA SSD was used as cache.

Now continuing on with my story.

I was pretty sick of chrome jittering and thinking it might be related to my RAID I opened up Intel RST. The thought process was to start mitigating issues by disabling array cache so I could see if raw throughput helped the issue, maybe it was a bug with cacheing.

My wife has been interviewing internally at <big insurance> and today was one such event. I just so happened to have RST open when she walked into the room. She started explaining the process and her day and I became distracted. At this moment I misread the array CP and deactivated my main array.

My machine being linked via user profile to this array and the cache disk buffering that array immediately locked my system. After several minutes the machine started to respond and my heart was already sinking. RAID 0 failures in the industry are generally 100% data loss cases. I decided to try my luck.

Carefully I made sure no disk software was running and that I did not write or modify any contents. I disabled my Acceleration SSD and was careful NOT to reboot. I downloaded Testdisk and attempted to write back the partition scheme to see if I could get RST to redetect the array. However it would NOT. Thinking it was either.

A: RST config said this wasn't supposed to be an array so I wont see it
B: It was RAID 0 and it really is just gone.

I finally concluded a full destroy was in order. I opened up disk management and deleted and wiped all independent disks and rebuilt the array and cache.

The actual story begins

Up until this point I neglected to mention I keep backups. Attached via network share is a 8TB array living in my server that acts as my data dump. With Windows 10 and really windows in general a backup software is included. Now I am NOT blaming Windows 10 and on the contrary it may be a bug with all versions of the OS.

Now that is out of the way. I opened up my backup and restore panel. I rather like the new Windows 10 backup interface and I have had alot of success with Windows shadow copies in general since I have had to restore on my server before. I was ready for a nice experience. However after opening the panel I was greeted by the normal backup schedule disk selection and specified folder when I noticed an issue.

Even though my backup is scheduled to take place every hour for differencing the last backup date was 10/5. Angry but not terrible I click to start the restore, some is better than none. Thats when I started running into issues. The backup only saw 3 available files but indicated every directory. I double checked to make sure my drive letters were correct thinking the software was making a destination assumption and if my drives were wrong it would give me limited options. However everything appeared to be in order.

Frustrated and plagued by lack of time I dove head long into the issue disregarding pretty interfaces. I soon found out the problems went deeper. Via the options menu of the backup I saw that my entire drive was no longer on the list. Instead ONLY my user profile folders were shown. However this conflicted with the recovery console given that it could see the file structure just not restore.

Taking the red pill

With a backup and 2TB missing it was inconceivable for me to admit defeat so deeper into the rabbit hole I went. This time with control panels and pleasantly rude screens cast aside for the real deal. I accessed my network share and started looking at the backup structure raw. There I found my first clue. The backup name is reference by he PC name. However the PC name was NOT the same as my PC. In fact I remember changing my name shortly after the last build upgrade I received.

Moving along I stumbled across my data. However it was indeed only from the 5th and indeed was ONLY the user profile folders, which are incredibly important but still I was missing root level folders such as programs and other misc data. However after digging none could be found.

With the data digging complete I reluctantly started the manual transfer from my share to its proper location on my RAID array. the puzzle was still infuriating however and even deeper I went.

Show me yours

After the transfer began I opened event log and started cross checking references. I wanted to see if there were backup errors I was missing. However try as I might I could not for the life of me find any log indicating backups were failing unlike Server OSs which make it apparent, the logs for my backup just seemed to stop around 8PM on October 5th. Confused I looked in other sections in system and applications hoping I could find any reason why the backup feature would fail. After several minutes I found it, or rather THEM.

The log files generally hold some pretty basic information, regardless of issue or category type all logs generally hold your PC name. From shutdowns to updates to DCOM warning your machine name is a part of almost every log file windows generates. As I was digging for an error I found a pattern. On October 5th around quarter passed 7PM my logs showed a reboot and a name change. I like many others like adding personality to my machine and I remember renaming it before I needed to reboot for updates.

After that point in time my logs indicated the machine name change however my backups stopped working the following hour, with all the settings schedule and configuration intact the only clue was that the folder on the share in which my backups were held was named so after my computer before I renamed it.

I can only conclude given the evidence I found that Renaming your PC will break the backup procedure even if settings and config persist. However it is important to note I was not using the still available "Windows 7 backup" but the new Windows 10 backup via the "Settings" menu.

Moving forward I will be more vigilant with my backups since even those may not be safe and before it gets out of hand NO I am not interested in your thoughts of preferred backup software. I am well acquainted with mericum, Acronis, Paragon and god forbid backup exec and I may just switch too one of them again.

Check backups often and if you don't backup as I always have I recommend you look into it.

PS. she didn't get the position.
Hate it for you Solaris. If I had followed my own advice, I wouldn't have lost a system drive a few years ago. Only a 150Gb Raptor, but I misread the event viewer, and thought the messages applied to a data drive, not the system. Still, had all my taxes and email on that drive. I recommend this, as it's ability to handle a bare metal recovery is, in my opin, unparalleled. It handles schedules, full and incremental backups, and even DOS, GUI, or Linux recovery environments. ( I recommend burning a couple of different ways, as some machiens can be picky with USB support).

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Ugh that blows having to go through all of that trouble, I guess it is best to have 3 modes of manual backup alongside raid...

RAID0 is really when you need a super fast buffer space. It's really bad idea for permanent storage of any kind. Or, if you do have permanent storage, it has to be for data you won't cry after if it's gone (which is unlikely if it's permanent storage).

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
I keep a external hdd cage that connects via usb3 on a shelf next to my office desk, it has a 2 tb hdd in it that is never powered on except during backups. Once every 2-3 months, i plug it in & run a full backup...but i keep a small system storage-wise(under 1Tb), so its not as complicated.

System Name The Berserker Armor
Processor Ryzen 7 7700x
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X670E Plus Wifi
Cooling CORSAIR ICUE H150i RGB ELITE
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16GB 6000mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 4070 Ti
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1tb, Samsung 980 1tb
Display(s) LG 27GL850-B 144hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow Black + 3x SP120 fans
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Gold GX-850
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Rgb Pro
Keyboard Corsair K60 Rgb Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
I feel you, 2 years ago my HDD was broken and I had to use a professional repair service to save all my precious data and 4 years worth of research. I was surprised the repairman moved only the disk to the new case and it worked! then he copied all my data. Im saved

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Ouch! Been there, done that.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Sorry for your loss. I don't do program based backup. I just backup my important documents manually to two separate hard drive and DVDRW monthly.

Glad I am not touching RAID0. If I ever do RAID it would be a Windows based software RAID1.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
It's 3.30 in the morning here,so at first I thought Windows changed the name, which would have been so very scary. Then I read it again just to be sure, and man was I relieved.

As for meself, the only properly important stuff I have are some documents and text files, which are kept locally and on Onedrive.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
It's 3.30 in the morning here,so at first I thought Windows changed the name, which would have been so very scary. Then I read it again just to be sure, and man was I relieved.

As for meself, the only properly important stuff I have are some documents and text files, which are kept locally and on Onedrive.

I got all my stuff back minus programs on the device. It was just horrid downloading it all. you see I like to think I have a relativly clever system.

C: Windows (OS)
D: User data

However when I do a fresh format. I open and sign into one drive. I then tell it to change directories and use D:\Onedrive instead.

I then re-direct all user folders Documents, pictures, music, movies, videos etc to Ondrive on D:

D:\Onedrive\Pictures

Then in windows backup I tell it backup D:\* to N:\Backups

N:\ being the shared directory on my server. So I have a local copy.

In this case I downloaded everything I couldnt restore but I did lose the rest of the program data.