• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPT does not mean a faster operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: Will GPT make my Windows OS run faster? No, period.

The important choice is to dump the HDD as the primary drive and move to a SATA SSD* or M.2 SSD.

One needs to migrate their OS/Programs/Content from an HDD to an SSD; then you have a super-fast computer. If migrating is not something you want to delve into then perform a new Windows 7, 8 or 10 installation onto a new SSD. Note: If it's a new installation you can copy all your personal files from the HDD to the SSD after your new installation.

What size SSD? Most gamers like to use a 500GB SSD as their primary drive and use the 1TB to 4TB HDD as their second Internal Storage Drive. If you plan on having many partitions on the HDD then use GPT if you need more than 4 partitions. If not, keep it simply and stay with MBR.

*SATA SSD is far more diversified and portable. One can use a USB3.0 Adapter Cable with any SATA SSD.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
If not, keep it simply and stay with MBR.
I disagree with that assessment because MBR is going the way of the dinosaur. I would only suggest MBR if your machine is too old to boot using UEFI or if your OS doesn't support it, which is unlikely with any semi-modern OS. As I said in that necro'ed thread two years ago, the real benefit is the size of the disk. Additional partitions can be nice but, it's by no means helpful in most cases. Since UEFI exposes more to the OS than a traditional BIOS does, I would always suggest UEFI boot if your machine can do it because it usually translates to a more seamless experience when it comes to where the BIOS ends and the OS begins.

tl;dr: If you're doing a clean installation, there really is no reason to not use UEFI unless your machine can't do it. It's the standard now and almost every machine in the last 5-6 years now supports it.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Never knew this was a question...

*SATA SSD is far more diversified and portable. One can use a USB3.0 Adapter Cable with any SATA SSD
why cant you do this with a hdd? It is a bit bigger, but still easily done.

Interesting random thread..

I disagree with that assessment because MBR is going the way of the dinosaur. I would only suggest MBR if your machine is too old to boot using UEFI or if your OS doesn't support it, which is unlikely with any semi-modern OS. As I said in that necro'ed thread two years ago, the real benefit is the size of the disk. Additional partitions can be nice but, it's by no means helpful in most cases. Since UEFI exposes more to the OS than a traditional BIOS does, I would always suggest UEFI boot if your machine can do it because it usually translates to a more seamless experience when it comes to where the BIOS ends and the OS begins.

tl;dr: If you're doing a clean installation, there really is no reason to not use UEFI unless your machine can't do it. It's the standard now and almost every machine in the last 5-6 years now supports it.

We won't argue the point. The assessment I made intuitively includes older DDR3 systems. Anyone building a new PC Rig and installs Windows 10 on an unallocated drive, the installation process will automatically choose to setup the primary drive as GPT. We can both agree on this; no need for either of us to pound our chests going forward.

Cheers

Never knew this was a question...

why cant you do this with a hdd? It is a bit bigger, but still easily done.

Interesting random thread..

Of course you can if you own an external HDD case with SATA Headers.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is inconsequential.

Many "average" users are confused about GPT vs MBR and they never get a straight answer. Since I am in the business of consulting Windows Users about optimizing old and new computer via remote connection, I simply decided to put what is obvious to us tech-heads into simple language for the non tech-heads.

It's really that down-to-earth.

Last edited:
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Many "average" users are confused about GPT vs MBR and they never get a straight answer. Since I am in the business of consulting Windows Users about optimizing old and new computer via remote connection, I simply decided to put what is obvious to us tech-heads into simple language for the non tech-heads.

It's really that down-to-earth.

No one cares. Ya didn't explain the diff between the two modes, how it affects the OS. No one asked if there is a speed difference because there isn't. All this is non-related to using a SSD as a main drive.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
We won't argue the point. The assessment I made intuitively includes older DDR3 systems. Anyone building a new PC Rig and installs Windows 10 on an unallocated drive, the installation process will automatically choose to setup the primary drive as GPT. We can both agree on this; no need for either of us to pound our chests going forward.
Well, for the P9X79 Deluxe I have, unless you boot from the installer using the "UEFI" option in the boot list, it won't actually do this out of the box. If the installer starts with UEFI, it will install for UEFI but, older machines like mine will give you the option and will explicitly call it out and it's important to select UEFI if you want your boot drive to be GPT but, this only matters for the boot drive.

For everyone else, context helps. This thread came out of this one that was closed because necro'ing threads is usually frowned upon.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...time-and-r-w-speeds-iops.214391/#post-3742749

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
GPT is here to eliminate the limits imposed by MBR, nothing else.

GPT is here to eliminate the limits imposed by MBR, nothing else.

Wrong. GPT has been around since the 1990's. It didn't find it's niche' in home computers until the last six years.

At any rate. This post will be found by the general public using a Search Engine to find the answer. That's what matters the most, not the opinions of people with newer UEFI BIOS systems.

Moderators can Lock this thread as it appears no one can present empirical evidence that contradicts my subjective experience since Windows 8 appeared on the scene. (bogus OS UI/W8)

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
Troll much?

You started a thread and posed a question to yourself and then continued to answer it. All you wanted here was a platform to spew your bullshit thread about GPT vs MBR and somehow ruled it has something to do with SSDs. The fact is we would all be using MBR still if drive capacity was under 2TB as GPT allows nothing more than high cap drives to be bootable.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Status
Not open for further replies.