• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU Clock decreases as temperature goes up

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Knowing all these card makers, they won't release a gpu bios update unless if there is something majorly wrong with the cards.

So don't even think about doing it.

You can modify your own bios but I would suggest using software adjustments as those are the easiest

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Yep, all things considered, if you are not prepared to go all the way (hard mods + custom water etc.) with this card, DO NOT - and I stress again - DO NOT screw with the card BIOS or even overreact to clock speed variances. Just let it do its thing. Pascal is like Windows 10 now, you can screw up alot and usually a reboot fixes everything, but there is no longer any form of absolute control over its performance. It'll just do its magic. Screw with that, and it'll bite you in the behind ^^

Of particular note with regards to clocks, and especially memory OC's - there is a hard falloff in real life performance at some point, where clocking higher actually reduces performance. This also happens when you push a core clock that is unsustainable, or when you push lots of extra volts that cooling can't handle - if you exceed the ideal temp/clock targets, you'll mostly toss out power efficiency (which in turn translates into lower performance because higher temps) and all you get in return is a funny looking clockspeed number.

Overclocking has been commercialized, deal with it ^^

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
On afterburner, you can press Control and F to show the voltage control. You can undervolt the graphics to get lower temperatures.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
Well I should've mentioned that this problem only occurs in Furmark stress test (Firestrike Ultra) and not in games.
Then it's not a problem. Edit: meaning Furmark.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i7 6700K
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VIII Ranger
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Riphaws 2x8GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition
Storage Samsung SSD Pro 850
Display(s) Asus MX239H
Power Supply CoolerMaster 850+
Software Windows 10 x64 15063.632
Knowing all these card makers, they won't release a gpu bios update unless if there is something majorly wrong with the cards.

So don't even think about doing it.

You can modify your own bios but I would suggest using software adjustments as those are the easiest

Actually Gigabyte already have released a bios update since the launch of Aorus GTX 1080ti Xtreme which changed bios version to nVidia's 86.02.39.00.9E. But I think yeah... Future updates are unlikely to happen, at least not anytime soon.

Of particular note with regards to clocks, and especially memory OC's - there is a hard falloff in real life performance at some point, where clocking higher actually reduces performance. This also happens when you push a core clock that is unsustainable, or when you push lots of extra volts that cooling can't handle - if you exceed the ideal temp/clock targets, you'll mostly toss out power efficiency (which in turn translates into lower performance because higher temps) and all you get in return is a funny looking clockspeed number.

Exactly. I learned this in a hard way with lots of testings and benchmarkings...sometimes adding to GPU clock offset had a reverse result on the final score since it can heat up the GPU. So as you said, I just have to leave it the way it already is and let it do it's work. I'm already getting enough FPS in games and this level of sensitivity to GPU Clock or in-game FPS for only 1 to 2 percent difference for everyday use is kinda pointless I think.

Confused... he said furmark, but then says firestrike....soooo he means FUTUREMARK im assuming and ran Fire Strike Ultra???? Or does he actually mean Furmark???

Make sense OP!!!!!

I'm sorry...I'm sorry. God :(
I meant both FurMark and Futuremark stress tests. what I meant was GPU temperature always goes beynond 71c degress and even more in both FurMark and Futuremark stress test while fans spinng at %100 speed but not in normal gaming.
Sorry again.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Cross verify with gigabyte to make absolutely sure that bios is for your specific card, and I mean by the stock keeping unit number of the card and even model number which are found via the stickers, not all cards in a line are the same anymore.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Actually Gigabyte already have released a bios update since the launch of Aorus GTX 1080ti Xtreme which changed bios version to nVidia's 86.02.39.00.9E. But I think yeah... Future updates are unlikely to happen, at least not anytime soon.

Exactly. I learned this in a hard way with lots of testings and benchmarkings...sometimes adding to GPU clock offset had a reverse result on the final score since it can heat up the GPU. So as you said, I just have to leave it the way it already is and let it do it's work. I'm already getting enough FPS in games and this level of sensitivity to GPU Clock or in-game FPS for only 1 to 2 percent difference for everyday use is kinda pointless I think.

I'm sorry...I'm sorry. God :(
I meant both FurMark and Futuremark stress tests. what I meant was GPU temperature always goes beynond 71c degress and even more in both FurMark and Futuremark stress test while fans spinng at %100 speed but not in normal gaming.
Sorry again.

That BIOS update was likely meant to fix issues with the VRAM. All Nvidia cards had this update.

Processor Intel Core i7 6700K
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VIII Ranger
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Riphaws 2x8GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition
Storage Samsung SSD Pro 850
Display(s) Asus MX239H
Power Supply CoolerMaster 850+
Software Windows 10 x64 15063.632
Another Problem...Sorry if it's not related to the thread's title. I just didn't want to make a new thread for a small problem (if it is a problem!)
I was playing Dishonored 2 Death of the Outsider the other night. GPU usage was ~35 percent with V-Sync on. So everything normal so far. Then I did Alt+Tab to desktop and suddenly GPU usage increased to %99 which made GPU very hot after a while. So fans got more active and noise level increased drastically too and so on.
I was thinking that this might be an optimization issue from GPU Bios or something but I found out that this won't happen in all games. For example this won't happen in Agents of Mayhem. Actually in Agents of Mayhem, GPU Clock decreases to base clock (1607Mhz) and GPU Usage to 2-3 percent when I Alt+Tab to desktop which makes it ideal for leaving the PC for short periods of time when you haven't reached a checkpoint and don't want to lose progression. So GPU can cools down for a bit and etc.
So why Alt+Tab to desktop in some games makes the card to go crazy? Is this a common issue with other cards from other brands as well? Is it card's problem or game's problem?

Last edited: