• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BUG Report: GPU-Z Fails to Provide Graphics Related Information

I wanted to report a problem that I am am experiencing using GPU-Z. The problem seems to apply to all stable versions that I have tried (0.7.1, 0.4.6, and 2.4.0).

When trying to query information using the GPU-Z utility, no graphics related information is provided. I first noticed the problem to manifest after an installation of an additional monitor and the update of device drivers and multiple monitor management software. The multiple monitor management software that was updated was UltraMon, from version 2.7.1 to version 3.3.0; the device drivers that were updated were the UltraMon mirroring driver, the nVidia display driver, nVidia PhysX driver, nVidia High Definition Audio Driver, and the monitors' drivers.

I am using Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 and have a multiple monitor configuration, using precisely three monitors. The monitors are connected to two graphics card, both of which are from the same brand, model, and product codes; further, their Video BIOS is the same.

I have attached windows pictures and information collected by software for reference and examination.

Graphics Card page.gif
Sensors page.gif
Advanced Page.gif
Validation Page.gif
nVidia System Information - Display, Item 1.gif
nVidia System Information - Display, Item 2.gif

Attachments

• NVIDIA System Information 10-29-2017 06-44-48.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 542
  • UltraMon 3.3.0 config Info.txt
    727 bytes · Views: 384

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Is the card listed in device manager?

System Name Main PC/OldPC/3rd PC
Processor Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge/Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge/Core i3-4330 Haswell
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V/ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen1/ASUS H81M2
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/Intel Box cooler/Intel Box cooler
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance/32GB ADATA/16GB ADATA
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE R9 290 Tri-X OC 4GB/MSI RX 480 8GB/SAPPHIRE R9 390 8GB
Storage 2x1TB ADATA SSDs in RAID0+3 HDDs/2xCrucial 1TB SSDs in RAID0+3 HDDs/Samsung 1TB SSD+8TB+4TB HDDs
Display(s) Philips 274E5QHAB@HDMI + Philips 273EQH@DVI (both 27")
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium
Audio Device(s) Kenwood Mini HiFi system/Microlab speakers/Philips HDMI (main)+LG TV monitor HDMI + Apple headphones
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent ProM 600 W (modular)
Mouse Microsoft Ergonomic Sculpt Desktop 2.0 (combo)@Razer Goliath mousepad (Medium speed)
Keyboard Microsoft Ergonomic Sculpt Desktop 2.0 (combo)
Software Win10 64-bit (Main PC v.1809 RTM Enterprise/2nd PC v.1903 Insider Preview Pro/3rd PC - same as 2nd)
Windows XP is long dead. What CPU & how much RAM do you use?
Why do you not use Windows 10?
It needs no such multi-monitor tweaks, as it supports multiple taskbars, windows per display just fine & built-in into OS, no need to use extra software.

EDIT: Your forum thread title is not good. When asking for help, you might want to add a proper thread title, describing the problem in short, such as using 4-5 words.
For example: Problem with GPU-Z showing no info.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i3-8100
Motherboard ASRock H370 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig M9i
Memory 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB
Storage Crucial MX500 512GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2316M LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Windows XP is long dead. What CPU & how much RAM do you use?
Why do you not use Windows 10?
It needs no such multi-monitor tweaks, as it supports multiple taskbars, windows per display just fine & built-in into OS, no need to use extra software.

Those are irrelevant considerations.
  • GPU-Z is compatible with Windows XP, even if it is old.
  • The CPU and RAM size don't matter, since GPU-Z obviously runs on his computer.
EDIT: Your forum thread title is not good. When asking for help, you might want to add a proper thread title, describing the problem in short, such as using 4-5 words.
For example: Problem with GPU-Z showing no info.

Agreed. That thread title is very poor.

System Name Main PC/OldPC/3rd PC
Processor Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge/Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge/Core i3-4330 Haswell
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V/ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen1/ASUS H81M2
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/Intel Box cooler/Intel Box cooler
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance/32GB ADATA/16GB ADATA
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE R9 290 Tri-X OC 4GB/MSI RX 480 8GB/SAPPHIRE R9 390 8GB
Storage 2x1TB ADATA SSDs in RAID0+3 HDDs/2xCrucial 1TB SSDs in RAID0+3 HDDs/Samsung 1TB SSD+8TB+4TB HDDs
Display(s) Philips 274E5QHAB@HDMI + Philips 273EQH@DVI (both 27")
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium
Audio Device(s) Kenwood Mini HiFi system/Microlab speakers/Philips HDMI (main)+LG TV monitor HDMI + Apple headphones
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent ProM 600 W (modular)
Mouse Microsoft Ergonomic Sculpt Desktop 2.0 (combo)@Razer Goliath mousepad (Medium speed)
Keyboard Microsoft Ergonomic Sculpt Desktop 2.0 (combo)
Software Win10 64-bit (Main PC v.1809 RTM Enterprise/2nd PC v.1903 Insider Preview Pro/3rd PC - same as 2nd)
No, I mean if he has a decent dual-core (or more) CPU and at least 3 GB of RAM, moving to Windows 10 is the obvious choice.
Unless of course using software or games that only work on WinXP, which could be the case.

Processor Intel Core i3-8100
Motherboard ASRock H370 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig M9i
Memory 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB
Storage Crucial MX500 512GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2316M LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
No, I mean if he has a decent CPU and at least 3 GB RAM, moving to Windows 10 is the obvious choice.
Unless of course using software or games that only work on WinXP, which could be the case.

The problem at hand is that GPU-Z doesn't display any information about his video card. If he chooses to run XP, and GPU-Z is compatible with XP, then asking why he doesn't use Windows 10 is off-topic.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Do you run any less common anti-virus or anything else that could affect security? Any special tweaks like disabled services?

I have noticed that the GPU-Z sometimes displays or outputs almost correctly when run with the only problem I notice is that it fails to enumerate on of the video cards. I am attaching a picture illustrating the missing enumeration of a video card. Much of the time, however, GPU-Z still fails to show video card information at all.

Adapter Missing.gif

Do you run any less common anti-virus or anything else that could affect security?
I am not sure how common its (yet I suspect it to be), but I use the security software Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 10.2.6.3733 (also known as Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows Service Pack 1 Maintenance Release 4), for its anti-virus protection.

To test:
  1. I uninstalled the security software and cleaned up with the dedicated Kaspersky Lab product removal tool and tested to see whether the problem would still manifest. The problem did indeed continue to manifest.
  2. I disabled the UltraMon 3.3.0 multi-monitor and windows management software to test to see if GPU-Z problems would still manifest. The problem did indeed continue to manifest.

Any special tweaks like disabled services?
What did come to mind is the boot configuration; I use Physical Address Extension and 4GT RAM Tuning (which I believe is known as 4 GB RAM Tuning on NT6+ Windows oprating systems). Although this is nothing that special (and it really is very important on 32-bit Windows in modern times for systems that use at least 4 GB of RAM), it is not something that is enabled by default.

I am attaching a ZIP 2.0 archive with a nicely-formatted list of the services with related information that are being used for the local machine.

Attachments

• services.zip
    15.3 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
What did come to mind is the boot configuration; I use Physical Address Extension and 4GT RAM Tuning (which I believe is known as 4 GB RAM Tuning on NT6+ Windows oprating systems). Although this is nothing that special (and it really is very important on 32-bit Windows in modern times for systems that use at least 4 GB of RAM), it is not something that is enabled by default.
I tested GPU-Z with the different boot configurations.

I have concluded that GPU-Z fails to behave properly when 4GT RAM Tuning is used; if 4GT RAM Tuning is disabled GPU-Z functions as expected.
EDIT: It is also worth noting that in my tests, having Physical Address Extension enabled seems to make the problem worse. When 4GT RAM Tuning was used, while Physical Address Extension was not, the problem was not always observable; sometimes GPU-Z would display it should be expected.

I have attached a picture showing the main GPU-Z windows when the 4GT RAM Tuning is not set.

4 GT Tuning Disabled.gif

EDIT: Wrong picture was previously uploaded to this post. Post has been updated with correct picture.

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Nice find! I'll try to reproduce locally and see if there is something I can do to fix

For those looking to reproduce this issue, configure the boot loader for the following on systems with at least 4 GB of physical RAM (the issue might also manifest on systems with less than 4 GB of RAM, but I have not tried it):

For the NTLDR boot loader, configure the boot.ini file to boot an entry with the /3GB parameter. For example, I use the following line from the my boot.ini file:
Code:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=alwaysOff /fastdetect /PAE /3GB
The /3GB parameter may still be usable on systems with less than 4 GB of RAM, but I have never tried it. The /userva subparameter may optionally be specified to proceed the /3GB parameter with an explicit value in megabytes of the user-mode virtual address space allowance.

Windows Vista and many newer Windows operating systems do not use the NTLDR boot loader and mange memory allocation differently than on Windows NT 5.x series operating systems. I have not checked whether GPU-Z has the problem described in this thread on those operating systems. The Windows Boot Manager may be configured to use an explicit user-mode virtual address space by setting the IncreaseUserVA variable for the boot configuration and giving it a value (a number representing the user-mode address space in megabytes). For example, if using the BCDEDIT utility to configure the boot loader to use a user-mode address space of 3 GB, the following would be used:
Code:
bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072

Nice find! I'll try to reproduce locally and see if there is something I can do to fix
Thank you, I look forward to it.