• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i5-8400, I read some mobo's can make it do full 4ghz and some 4,2ghz?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Just curious if anyone knows what motherboards can achieve this, currently doing a second rig for a friend at the moment, we can get the i5-8400 to sit steady at 3.8ghz all 6 cores 24.7 with MSI OC Genie in BIOS... no downclocking ever... but we can't hit the magic 4ghz or 4.2ghz mark, Intel says 4ghz... feels kind of misleading.

Hi there Lynx

I myself never had the opportunity to work on a Z370 motherboard and should someone else have a more valid answer or suggestion please feel free to indicate so.

SHORT ANSWER : Asus boards , not sure which one tough I beleive all of them

LONG ANSWER :

To my knowledge what you are talking here about is called MEC (multi core enhancement ) I do know MSI and ASUS boards have this feature not sure if Gigabyte ,Asrock and ECS boards do as well they should I suppose , basically to my knowledge it allows the CPU to run at its Asus boost\ intel boost clock speed the cpu can go in optimal temps basically like the CPU turbo clock

so if you have a 8400 I5 by default the chip will run one core at 4 ish ghz the other will be in the back with lower clocks

so what MEC does is it turbo clocks all the cores to 4 ish ghz

I am not sure if you can post links here but Jay two centz he made a vid where his and Dimitri benchmark on the I7 K where they ran it at stock levels the benchmarks where night and day compared to Bitwit and another reviewer .

also I know some boards dont even have MEC enabled by default.

Hope it helps.

MCE doesn't work on non K processors anymore, unless someone has real life evidence to prove otherwise. So no you won't get all core 4GHz, or higher, turbo locked even with a Z370.
Just curious if anyone knows what motherboards can achieve this, currently doing a second rig for a friend at the moment, we can get the i5-8400 to sit steady at 3.8ghz all 6 cores 24.7 with MSI OC Genie in BIOS... no downclocking ever... but we can't hit the magic 4ghz or 4.2ghz mark, Intel says 4ghz... feels kind of misleading.
Yes it is that's why we've had this, just in the recent past ~ On Intel's Decision to no Longer Disclose All-core Turbo

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Hi there Lynx

I myself never had the opportunity to work on a Z370 motherboard and should someone else have a more valid answer or suggestion please feel free to indicate so.

SHORT ANSWER : Asus boards , not sure which one tough I beleive all of them

LONG ANSWER :

To my knowledge what you are talking here about is called MEC (multi core enhancement ) I do know MSI and ASUS boards have this feature not sure if Gigabyte ,Asrock and ECS boards do as well they should I suppose , basically to my knowledge it allows the CPU to run at its Asus boost\ intel boost clock speed the cpu can go in optimal temps basically like the CPU turbo clock

so if you have a 8400 I5 by default the chip will run one core at 4 ish ghz the other will be in the back with lower clocks

so what MEC does is it turbo clocks all the cores to 4 ish ghz

I am not sure if you can post links here but Jay two centz he made a vid where his and Dimitri benchmark on the I7 K where they ran it at stock levels the benchmarks where night and day compared to Bitwit and another reviewer .

also I know some boards dont even have MEC enabled by default.

Hope it helps.

We are using the MSI Z370 A-Pro motherboard. Trying to find the setting you speak of... will be back in an hour or so, going to tinker with BIOS for awhile, maybe turn off OC Genie and see if it will let me tinker around.

Max what you'll get is 3.8GHz with all cores loaded.
The last architecture where it was possible to turbo-lock one core frequency for all was haswell.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Max what you'll get is 3.8GHz with all cores loaded.
The last architecture where it was possible to turbo-lock one core frequency for all was haswell.

Read what Hawkster said, it seems if you own MSI or ASUS mobo you can still hit 4ghz instead of the 3.8 on all 6 cores no downclocking... hmmm... I wonder if I should try Throttlestop, probably won't work, but I can't find the option in my MSI bios, dangit! I need to refund this one and find the right Asus one... reports are that Asus model can do 4.2ghz on the i5-8400

Read what Hawkster said, it seems if you own MSI or ASUS mobo you can still hit 4ghz instead of the 3.8 on all 6 cores no downclocking... hmmm... I wonder if I should try Throttlestop, probably won't work, but I can't find the option in my MSI bios, dangit! I need to refund this one and find the right Asus one... reports are that Asus model can do 4.2ghz on the i5-8400
No you can't, try it yourself if you must, but you can't go past Intel's locks using some random MB or software hack ~

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
I quickly looked at HWBot

fastest i5 8400 running R15 is 4.1ghz using MSI Z370-A Pro

http://hwbot.org/submission/3689139_apex_oc_cinebench___r15_core_i5_8400_1012_cb

Space Lynx

Astronaut
That 4.1 (single core) is due to BCLK OC, once again the turbo will not exceed 3.8GHz (probably 3.9 due to BCLK OC) on all cores.

This is just to clear any misapprehensions the OP, or anyone else might have wrt the locked i5 or i3 being paired with a Z370.

Still gains 50 points in Cinebench... so I am not sure what you mean, because that is a multi-core score posted of C15. Please explain?

Like I also said in my fist post I never played around on a Z370 mobo , so I dont know the tricks and magic to get that 4 ghz number and agian I speak from my understanding and feel free to correct me.

But I feel the best way to get a solid answer is find a reviewer that tested this in depth on multiple mobo's because something is up with these MSI and ASUS boards.

acidsys

Like I also said in my fist post I never played around on a Z370 mobo , so I dont know the tricks and magic to get that 4 ghz number and agian I speak from my understanding and feel free to correct me.

But I feel the best way to get a solid answer is find a reviewer that tested this in depth on multiple mobo's because something is up with these MSI and ASUS boards.

@lynx29 @Hawkster222

Both msi and asus boards will never run MCE with the I5-8400.

R0H1T is 100% right on is one as the 4.1ghz cine15 sub was only running at 3.91.

This is a cinebench r15 run with MCE set at 40x. But with C-states disabled to stop any single core turbo boost. Run on a Asus z370 Apex.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Best you will get with most motherboards is 3.9 GHz on all cores, boosting to 4.1 on one core. You do this with BCLK OC, up to 102.5 MHz. Many boards will start to fail @ 102.55 MHz

It will look like this in BIOS:

Reactions: hat

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Best you will get with most motherboards is 3.9 GHz on all cores, boosting to 4.1 on one core. You do this with BCLK OC, up to 102.5 MHz. Many boards will start to fail @ 102.55 MHz

thank you I found it, you are right. I am rocking 3.9ghz all 6 cores no downclocking, and sometimes i do get boosts to 4.1 ghz on one core now, hey I can't complain, it was cheap lol

SARWIN

Hi Sir,

I'm using i5 9400F 2.9GHz BCLK with MSI Z390 MPG Gaming Plus mobo engaged with 32Gb ram 3200MHz.
Planning to run at 4.0 GHz with 32GB ram at 3000MHz. can you please show me the full set up, that I have to do in the BIOS OC setting.

Really dumb to say...
I have set up earlier
CPU Ratio: 41
Ring Ratio:39
CPU Base Clock:102.27MHz
DRAM Frequency:3000MHz

Result:
CPU temp:45%
Mobo temp:43%
CPU Speed:4.08GHz
DDR Speed:3000MHz

Stress Test: 1 hour:
CPU temp:67%
Mobo temp:56%
CPU Speed:4.1GHz

Task Manager:
CPU:35%
MEMORY:48%
(only open Google Chrome)

No lagging. But if open 3 hard software(Autodesk Revit, Autocad, C3D) that uses 4 cores. the CPU usage reaches 90%!. Please guide me what should I do in this matter.

Please attached here with a full snapshot of the BIOS OC screen with the settings.