• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Select AMD Mobile Platforms to Include Qualcomm-Powered LTE Capabilities

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
At the Qualcomm Technology Summit, AMD made a surprise appearance to shed some light on their partnership in Qualcomm. The objective: to integrate Qualcomm's LTE modems in AMD-powered mobile platforms, offering always connected capabilities to laptops and convertibles. AMD's Kevin Lensing took to the stage to talk about how AMD's reference designs for the Ryzen Mobile platform (which includes deployment of the company's Ryzen 5 2500U and Ryzen 7 2700U APUs, for instance) shipped to OEMs with an integrated Qualcomm LTE modem - a clear nod at another design point OEMs could look towards integration on their products. These should allow for online connectivity on the go, offering users more ways to keep connected, whether for work or play.

Of course, this is hardly the first time mobile PC form-factors have had this kind of modem integration; Intel has done it for quite some time on their products, with the XMM7260 and XMM7360 that it has applied to more business-oriented devices or Chromebooks. However, adding LTE enablement as an option for AMD-based platforms at this scale is actually a first for AMD. Naturally, the integration of yet another piece of silicon to a mobile device will undoubtedly add to cost and battery consumption, besides adding some more question that end-users have to answer: which carrier option are available, which of those to go with... But having more options is usually better than the alternative, is it not?

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

For me, not having LTE in any mobile device is dumbfounding. How has most of the market skipped this important feature.

Luckily, i have a latitude.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
For me, not having LTE in any mobile device is dumbfounding. How has most of the market skipped this important feature.

B/c no one is going to pay for another data plan, especially the uneducated populace that are already broke from contract pricing. Hell, they only have it on tablets, b/c it's like 5 or 10 extra and the kids are screaming for it.

Also, many places have open wifi, now. I assume that even in the markets where LTE is affordable that wifi is available in most locations (except Geneva, b/c it's a shithole).

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
I thought OEMs could do that, without AMD's involvement.

Anyhow, don't see me using LTE with my notebook.

Processor i7-14700k
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon Wifi
Cooling DeepCool LS720
Memory 32gb GSkill DDR5-6400 CL32 Trident Z5
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 LE
Storage 990 Pro 1tb, 980 Pro 512gb, WD black 4tb
Display(s) 3 x HP EliteDisplay E273
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitec MK520
Keyboard Logitec MK520
Software Win 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi 35805

Unlimited data, plus free hot spot or USB tethering?

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
I never saw the need for LTE in Tablets or Laptops

For my iPad Pro I just hotspot off my phone since I have 10GB Hotspot Data included with my plan, no need to pay for another plan

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Just when MS announced Windows for ARM.
But the purpose is different, though. With Win10 for Snapdragon it was a light and noiseless device with 10h of battery life, while this combo just gives you LTE on a normal laptop. Pretty sure it's just another marketing stunt to push for Giga-LTE, just because there is no real competition in this segment yet... Otherwise cheap Mediatek and Intel offerings are still the best way to go (given that you have a nice 4G coverage in your area).

B/c no one is going to pay for another data plan, especially the uneducated populace that are already broke from contract pricing. Hell, they only have it on tablets, b/c it's like 5 or 10 extra and the kids are screaming for it.
That's only applicable to US and other 1st world countries where everything is over-overpriced. For example, in Eastern Europe and Asia it's very affordable. When I had no internet in my office, I've been using an unlimited 3G plan for tablets for almost 6 months. Just installed a SIM in my Vostro V131 and dutifully paid my $7/mo on a prepaid plan. It's actually pretty good even for general consumer. If you don't play online games and have a good coverage, all you need is one smartphone with one plan, which you can use as a modem/hotspot for all of your other devices. 3G/CDMA routers are also quite common in my area. Just last week I was setting up my friend's office in the middle of nowhere. Gave him an old D-Link router w/ PCMCIA card, which was gathering dust in my closet. They have no fiber, copper, or cable in that area at all. Even 9-10Mbit/s they get now is still better than what they used to have....

This sounds nice, I use frequently my 4G module on my laptop. Having unlimited data and a price that is so cheap compared to most regular network options out there in the world. I am more than happy for this.
Would be awesome with a thin and portable AMD Ryzen laptop with this!

I thought OEMs could do that, without AMD's involvement.

Anyhow, don't see me using LTE with my notebook.
Actually its very useful. Sometimes you are stuck with crappy wifi, or you are in a bus.
I started using my phone data for it pretty regularly and its very convenient.(Plus 4g is better than my cable internet at home, i get latencies in the 30ms on 4g, on cable I'm lucky if it gets below 120ms)

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Actually its very useful. Sometimes you are stuck with crappy wifi, or you are in a bus.
I started using my phone data for it pretty regularly and its very convenient.(Plus 4g is better than my cable internet at home, i get latencies in the 30ms on 4g, on cable I'm lucky if it gets below 120ms)

It's too expensive for my "sometime" use and even when that happens I get away with tethering over my mobile phone.
Not saying there are no uses for it, just that it ain't for me.

Still curious why AMD's involvement is needed to slap an LTE chip into a notebook.