• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Riding the Crypto wave

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
Seriously I have no idea, and doubt anyone does. It's part of why I got out of crypto: Way too stressful.

LOL yeah. I have to say looking after my miners is like a second job...

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
i am serious.. all the top coin is doing the same.. litecoin has gone up 86% during November.. bitcoin is probably the best option to buy but litecoin looks good.. i have just bought $1500 quids worth..

looking at BTC its just about to go over the 12000 dollars mark.. it about 50 dollars off.. these round figures seem symbolic..

its gone too far to end now.. how it will end will be interesting.. he he..

my mining is hassle free.. the only downside being it aint mining fast enough.. hence me buying in more coin.. so far this month i am £1000 into ether and £1500 into litecoin.. my coinbase account limits the amount it lets me buy.. but the limit is going up..

my three month mining stash is at $3660 dollars.. or .33 bitcoin.. i doubt i will ever get a full one.. he he

hind sight tells me i should have spent the mining rig cash (£4000 ) on buying a whole bitcoin.. the $3660 stash i mentioned would be $12000 dollars.. mining has cost me money and not made me any but hind sight is a wonderful thing..

trog

Last edited:

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
BTC will be at $20k by q2 of 2018

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
We saw a couple of mini crashes at 10 and 11k. When it hit 7k and 8k, it's normal for people to look toward that next milestone, and say "I'll sell at 10k." And then they do sell at 10k, causing a mini flood of supply, dropping price. We will probably see just as big or bigger "crashes" at 15 and 20k, with plenty of mini crashes at each 1k increment. The long term hodlers will win out in pure earnings. But eventually, you will have to sell or else you've got tons of essentially non-liquid assets. Nothing wrong with that, except for the fact that a bitcoin isn't like other nonliquid assets like land or houses... a bitcoin is worth nothing until it's sold. Sure you can buy some things with them, but this is an odd gray area. Is a bitcoin a currency or a security? As Trog said above, it would seem that spending would be crazy. But at the same time, once again, it has to be sold or spent to hold any value at all. Personally, I'm not much of a gambler. So I will take my small wins when I can. As long as the hodlers hodl, Bitcoin will hold its value. At the point that everyone decides to sell... game over. And we've already seen these mini crashes happen within minutes. If you hold all your bitcoin, watching it skyrocket, waiting for it to hit the moon... You're literally going to have minutes to get off the boat before it's sunk. It doesn't matter if it hits 50k or 100k or higher... If the big crash happens, it will be worth nothing in minutes.

The other side to that coin (pun intended) is... a smart person with a little taste for risk might start buying at that point... which drives the value back up. THAT is the only thing keeping Bitcoin afloat. Joe decides to sell, value drops. Jim sees the drop and a chance to get some cheap bitcoin and buys, driving price back up. The only question is how much faith people have in how far it can go.

System Name money pit..
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
buy the f-cking dip.. full faith and all in.. :)

the stock market is running along the same lines.. he he

i like the bitcoin blackhole theory.. bitcoin eventually sucks up all fiat investment money and we have a new monetary system.. whoops..

for me it aint about when it will end its more about how it could end..

trog

Last edited:
I expect it to hit 50k just to spite notb's prediction that that's impossible.
I don't think I used the word "impossible".
But other than that... yeah - maybe I had too much faith in humanity. Or maybe not...? We'll see what happens.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
I don't think I used the word "impossible".
But other than that... yeah - maybe I had too much faith in humanity. Or maybe not...? We'll see what happens.

I was just messing with you a bit. I'm not entirely convinced either way myself. ;)

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
last night i was waiting for BTC to go over the 12K this morning its at 12800 and i am waiting for it to go over 13K..

it seems to have needed the asians to wake up to push it over 12K..

15K by christmas.. he he

trog

ps.. the bad news is nicehash is down.. ouch

its been down for 4 hours or so now.. they havnt been very forthcoming as to why..

Last edited:
System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yea nicehash still down... for the "push button, get money" crowd, Minergate is a *decent* alternative for the meantime. I get slightly lower speeds with the GUI app than I do with nicehash, but it at least gets your machines doing work while Nicehash is down without having to set things up manually. Tweakers and min-maxers need not apply lol.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
I think Nicehash has been down most of the day but I've no idea what has caused it. Something about a network error whenever I have tried to connect back to it, it errors on boot up of the program.. I'll mine ETC for now, I just wish the difficulty was down so I could get to the payout a load faster!! lol

This 0.25 a coin a day is a killer....

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
what go i do to mine that phil.. beyond NH i havnt a clue.. i am assuming NH is now dead..

or any other options you fancy.. ??

trog

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
what go i do to mine that phil.. beyond NH i havnt a clue.. i am assuming NH is now dead..

trog
Minergate is a turn-key solution like nicehash. I recommend going with the console version, as I get slower rates using the GUI.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Hey Guys important update...

Official press release statement by NiceHash (self.NiceHash)

submitted 56 minutes ago by Andrej_ID - announcement

Unfortunately, there has been a security breach involving NiceHash website. We are currently investigating the nature of the incident and, as a result, we are stopping all operations for the next 24 hours.

Importantly, our payment system was compromised and the contents of the NiceHash Bitcoin wallet have been stolen. We are working to verify the precise number of BTC taken.

Clearly, this is a matter of deep concern and we are working hard to rectify the matter in the coming days. In addition to undertaking our own investigation, the incident has been reported to the relevant authorities and law enforcement and we are co-operating with them as a matter of urgency.

We are fully committed to restoring the NiceHash service with the highest security measures at the earliest opportunity.

We would not exist without our devoted buyers and miners all around the globe. We understand that you will have a lot of questions, and we ask for patience and understanding while we investigate the causes and find the appropriate solutions for the future of the service. We will endeavour to update you at regular intervals.

While the full scope of what happened is not yet known, we recommend, as a precaution, that you change your online passwords.

We are truly sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused and are committing every resource towards solving this issue as soon as possible.

Hey Guys important update...
/cut/
But cryptocurrencies are so safe! Nooooo! Not possible!
:-D

There was a pretty large polish BTC exchange called Bitcurex. It went down last year after a supposed hack. They've been postponing the restart for a while and then vanished.
We have to keep in mind Nicehash is among the global leaders in this sector. But on the other hand: do you really know the company that keeps your money and so much private data? And which can - via it's app - run almost any code on your PC?
Do you know where their HQ is? Are they under jurisdiction of your state's authorities? Do they have a firewall? :)

Do Nicehash users know, that this company is registered in Slovenia? And that just 16 people on Linkedin identify as current employees? Exactly 1 of those 16 decided that his job is about system administration. He must be pretty loaded during a hack attempt. :-D

Would it really be worse if your bitcoin account was controlled by a global investment bank? Think about it.

Last edited:
System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
:-D

There was a pretty large polish BTC exchange called Bitcurex. It went down last year after a supposed hack. They've been postponing the restart for a while and then vanished.
We have to keep in mind Nicehash is among the global leaders in this sector. But on the other hand: do you really know the company that keeps your money and so much private data? And which can - via it's app - run almost any code on your PC?
Do you know where their HQ is? Are they under jurisdiction of your state's authorities? Do they have a firewall? :)

Do Nicehash users know, that this company is registered in Slovenia? And that just 16 people on Linkedin identify as current employees? Exactly 1 of those 16 decided that his job is about system administration. He must be pretty loaded during a hack attempt. :-D

Would it really be worse if your bitcoin account was controlled by a global investment bank? This about it.

That's the wonder of the blockchain. You are responsible for the security of your money. Not a bank, not an organization. If you left large amounts of currency in someone else's hands, that's your own fault. ALWAYS pull your money out into a paper wallet as soon as it's viable. (Obviously I know that you can't transfer every single tiny piece, it would cost too much in fees, and most places won't transfer less than a certain amount anyway.) I lost about 100 bucks. If you're leaving more than that in a third party wallet, you're wrong. If you keep your money in cold storage though, it's virtually unhackable.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED

This was a web wallet. Not a cryptocurrency wallet. You're basically saying that because the internet isn't safe, crypto isn't safe.

If you keep your money in cold storage though, it's virtually unhackable.

Exactly. I so need to write a guide on this... actually, I may do just that. It's easy as pie.

Would it really be worse if your bitcoin account was controlled by a global investment bank? Think about it.

No, which is why that's where many withdraw their mining earnings.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
If anyone is looking for a miner that pays well and is easy to use, there is a one-click VTC miner. I'm making double what I was getting mining ZEC due to the price jump of VTC. Such profitability will only last another 4 days though as the reward is set to halve then.

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
19k boys and girls... I'm thinking about selling to avoid the crash that will inevitably happen lol.

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
19k boys and girls... I'm thinking about selling to avoid the crash that will inevitably happen lol.

selling off on the way up has always been part of the story.. go up a few 100 dollars sell off.. take a profit and buy back in on the dip.. rinse and repeat..

whats very very unusual this time.. its going up too far and too f-cking fast without the profit taking sell offs and pauses for breath that have always been there..

its getting scary..

trog

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
too good to not post :D

24796733_1561087940635626_7550280700302403972_n.jpg

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(

trog

To be honest Trog ETC and ETH seem to be so over difficult, my 6 480s mining ETC are hitting 117M/h at the moment and it's taking me 4 days to mine one coin... It sucks... I've 5 more coins to make and then that's it.. When Nicehash comes back up I'll switch back to that unless there's another I can use when I've finished the payout via ETC...

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
I take issue with this. If you had bought 0.004 of a bitcoin just since yesterday, you would have made $160.00. Since last month? More like a thousand.

Pic is outdated. ;)
details :p

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
That's why it's a risk, high returns or bust