• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Baidu Deploys AMD EPYC Single Socket Platforms to Power its 'ABC' Datacenters

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
AMD and Baidu, the leading Chinese language Internet search provider and leader in artificial intelligence (AI), today announced the immediate availability of AMD-powered AI, big data, and cloud computing (ABC) services. Utilizing the compute performance and advanced feature-set of the AMD EPYC processor in a single-socket platform allows Baidu to efficiently optimize and deliver massive storage and compute services to its customers. Baidu expects to further expand its use of AMD EPYC processors across its global datacenters beginning in the first quarter of 2018.

"By offering outstanding performance in single-processor systems, the AMD EPYC platform provides flexibility and high-performance in our datacenter, which allows Baidu to deliver more efficient services to our customers," said Liu Chao, senior director, Baidu System Technologies Department. "Baidu's mission is to make a complex world simpler through technology, and we are constantly looking to discover and apply the latest cutting-edge technologies, innovations, and solutions to business. AMD EPYC processors provide Baidu with a new level of energy efficient and powerful computing capability."

"Baidu is a long-recognized pioneer in datacenter innovations, and with their adoption of AMD EPYC they continue down that path by leveraging our single-socket innovations to power their ABC strategy," said Scott Aylor, corporate vice president, and general manager, AMD Enterprise Solutions. "It is a thrilling experience to work side-by-side with Baidu to explore the capabilities of AMD EPYC and maximize its application across their customers' workloads."

With support for 128 lanes of PCIe connectivity, an AMD EPYC processor delivers 2.6X the I/O density than competitive solutions1 and enables Baidu to achieve a level of scale and efficiency unrivaled in high-performance x86. The combination of performance from the EPYC processor cores, and compute and I/O density packaged in a single-socket configuration, provides the ideal platform for Baidu's next generation cloud services.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
AMD, the leading Chinese language Internet search provider

move over Google here comes AMD!

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
AMD and Baidu, the leading Chinese language Internet search provider and leader in artificial intelligence (AI)

Im sorry to say but the way I read this Baidu is a leader in AI.

#justslapme

Im sorry to say but the way I read this Baidu is a leader in AI.
Correct. Baidu is investing a lot in AI and they seem to have great results so far. It's China's Google after all.

When you read claims like "Baidu has 97% effectiveness in voice recognition" or similar, just remember it's FOR CHINESE.
And to give you a hint how important this is: a voice recognition algorithm that works pretty well in English turns out to be way worse for more complicated languages: like Polish, Hungarian or Norwegian (even if it's learning on similar amount of data).

So what happens here is: Baidu is developing it's algos using one of the most complicated languages on Earth. So transition to other countries in Asia and Europe should be a lot easier than what American companies are facing now (Google, MS, Apple).

And this is not the first time we see something like this. Enter: Tesla Autopilot.
Tesla developed some pretty nice hardware and software for their cars. And it works pretty well in California: with their rectangular city layouts and wide highways.
Tesla Autopilot does NOT work in Europe. For example: it doesn't understand roundabouts. So I asked a colleague who actually works on AI in California and it turned out they don't have roundabouts in US and they don't have real-world data for the model...
The simple fact is: models developed partly in Europe (in cooperation with European car manufacturers, like Google does) will work in Europe and won't have a problem on a simpler road network in US.

So why I'm talking about this? Because just like with languages: if a Chinese company creates a car AI that works there, it'll most likely succeed anywhere on this planet:

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Thanks for clarifying. Didnt realize Baidu was on par with Google.