• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Major Intel CPU Hardware Vulnerability Found

Status
Not open for further replies.
GURU of 3D did a bunch of tests, showed little if any impact. Makes me laugh all the pissing n moaning that went on.
Yeah keep laughing :rolleyes:
  • SaturnusDK - Thursday, January 04, 2018 - link
    So if I'm understanding this correctly then the Windows Update rolled out yesterday is not complete for Intel system before Intel have rolled out a microcode update as well? And if so, we cannot make performance impact tests before that happens?
  • Ryan Smith - Thursday, January 04, 2018 - link
    It's looking that way. We've yet to find a system that shows as having hardware support for branch injection mitigation.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
So Intel microcode update delivered through Windows Update is on the way? I doubt Asus would bother with a update for older boards such as my Z97.

So Intel microcode update delivered through Windows Update is on the way? I doubt Asus would bother with a update for older boards such as my Z97.
This is for spectre (2) so a microcode update may work or it may not, considering it should also cover spectre variant 1. That's what Ryan is saying, there's no demonstrable exploit for Ryzen though in theory it might be vulnerable.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Me either. What scares me is the poor and unethical reporting by some bloggers and tech sites and their highly exaggerated, blown way out of proportion claims. And what scares me is readers who automatically believed those exaggerated reports, or worse, parrot those reports without doing their homework. :(

Was the bug bad? Sure. Was it exploited? There's no evidence of that. Microsoft has already released a patch. Has it degraded everyone's performance by 30% as claimed by those headline seeking bloggers and [cough cough, choke choke] "journalists" :rolleyes: in the IT press. No.
Wise words :toast:
Miggt be wiser to wait until it's proveably fixed instead of jumping on the opposite soap box and shouting it's all fine ,carry on.
Most do still use an email server Not in their own home, that's just one and my main concern regarding security outside my homes control.

I wouldn't want a performance hit of any kind like others but it's definitely the security issues that concerns me most, the bit about needing physical access assures me least as it's probably the easiest thing to work on a solution to if you're interested ie blackhat wearer and is also where a lot of work is being done (by many hacker teams)to mitigate the air gap safety.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
instead of jumping on the opposite soap box and shouting it's all fine ,carry on.
For sure, nobody is suggesting all is fine. There is a problem. But are users, even cloud, corporate and server users at such risk as many in the IT media suggest? Heck no. As is typically the case with newly discovered vulnerabilities, those exaggerating the threats are ether totally ignorant or choose to ignore the very real-world fact the malicious code (which first must be developed) needed to exploit these vulnerabilities must some how bypass all the security measures already in place designed to thwart unknown, suspicious and malicious activities and "behavior". Then this code must execute or deliver its payload, and get away with the compromised undetected.

It is like telling someone not to leave a $20 bill on their dinning room table because it will get stolen, totally ignoring the fact the bad guy must somehow first get past the nosy neighbor, exterior security cameras, locked doors and windows, advanced security alarm system, and past the two rottweilers while he snatches the $20, then make it out of the house and out of the neighborhood without getting bit or anyone noticing.

Is it possible? Yes. Likely? Probably not.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
No Windows update rolled out yesterday, the news only just broke..................For all I know your Ryan!!!! Why don't you list yer spec's?

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Miggt be wiser to wait until it's proveably fixed instead of jumping on the opposite soap box and shouting it's all fine ,carry on.
Most do still use an email server Not in their own home, that's just one and my main concern regarding security outside my homes control.

I wouldn't want a performance hit of any kind like others but it's definitely the security issues that concerns me most, the bit about needing physical access assures me least as it's probably the easiest thing to work on a solution to if you're interested ie blackhat wearer and is also where a lot of work is being done (by many hacker teams)to mitigate the air gap safety.

Oh this isn't fine :)

The best guess right now on an ETA for this to be fixed in a definitive sense, is probably two years at best. The fix has to be on an architectural (CPU design) level.

I'm quite up to speed but unfortunately the best most informative piece I've read was in Dutch. Still is worth a Google Translate, I suppose:

Squee's top comment.

https://tweakers.net/reviews/5939/l...ntwoord.html?showReaction=10996183#r_10996183

The gist of it is: even something as cute as a Javascript can now gain control of your system, read out anything you're doing, etc. That means: you visit a website, you can already pick up malware that just sits on your PC for a while until a specific process has been read out, it calls home, and you're compromised. Now consider the risk for a simple sys admin anywhere who runs a password manager.

So physical access is not at all required for this to work. What's more, consider the fact that all of our data is stored in the cloud right now. Your home PC is the least interesting target but think about crypto wallets, banking, etc.

Suffice to say, this is f'in huge.

For sure, nobody is suggesting all is fine. There is a problem. But are users, even cloud, corporate and server users at such risk as many in the IT media suggest? Heck no. As is typically the case with newly discovered vulnerabilities, those exaggerating the threats are ether totally ignorant or choose to ignore the very real-world fact the malicious code (which first must be developed) needed to exploit these vulnerabilities must some how bypass all the security measures already in place designed to thwart unknown, suspicious and malicious activities and "behavior". Then this code must execute or deliver its payload, and get away with the compromised undetected.

It is like telling someone not to leave a $20 bill on their dinning room table because it will get stolen, totally ignoring the fact the bad guy must somehow first get past the nosy neighbor, exterior security cameras, locked doors and windows, advanced security alarm system, and past the two rottweilers while he snatches the $20, then make it out of the house and out of the neighborhood without getting bit or anyone noticing.

You say that, but look at how many data leaks get reported and you can't possibly be convinced this won't go south at some point.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
No Windows update rolled out yesterday, the news only just broke..................For all I know your Ryan!!!! Why don't you list yer spec's?
The update is out, ask @P4-630 - already made post about getting the update through Windows Update eariler.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Software W10HB
We gonna get money back? Yeah huge is the scope of people who are affected, I don't use VM'S or anything. But I do worry about what if anything is being "FIXED" on my computer, for all i know they will open a back door then. Sense I'm least affected by this news, Smmh!

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Premature lawsuit is premature, no? DO we have any idea what the performance hits are? We have seen some preliminary testing, but... in many cases, there isn't a hit (and others, significant). Seems like the chicken and the egg to me.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Premature lawsuit is premature, no? DO we have any idea what the performance hits are? We have seen some preliminary testing, but... in many cases, there isn't a hit (and others, significant). Seems like the chicken and the egg to me.

It is premature and outright wrong because the way we handle branch prediction really is a uniform best practice in most performance oriented cpu architectures.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64

Bill, I like you, but you really don't understand this one. This vulnerability, if allowed unchecked, is akin to being locked in a cage in a house with money, with the keys to cage in hand.

If you have a VM on the machine (and many VMs in the cloud share with rental providers), you can access any memory of any OTHER VM on the machine... Yes, undetected, from within your own VM. In other VMs memory, there are keys, passwords, certificates, and all these can be accessed unchecked. That's how bad this is unpatched, and there is no exaggeration there.

In many ways, this is worse than heartbleed. It will depend on how fast cloud providers deploy the fix how much damage is done, though. That's the determining factor.

The performance penalty is exagerated. The security implications are not. Nor is the call of it being a "signifigant redesign of OS kernels." After reading they basically ripped out the shared symbol file wholehog (a mainstay since the 90s) I'm actually inclined to agree with the media: That's the biggest redesign in some time.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Bill, I like you, but you really don't understand this one. This vulnerability, if allowed unchecked, is akin to being locked in a cage in a house with money, with the keys to cage in hand.

If you have a VM on the machine (and many VMs in the cloud share with rental providers), you can access any memory of any OTHER VM on the machine... Yes, undetected, from within your own VM. In other VMs memory, there are keys, passwords, certificates, and all these can be accessed unchecked. That's how bad this is unpatched, and there is no exaggeration there.

In many ways, this is worse than heartbleed. It will depend on how fast cloud providers deploy the fix how much damage is done, though. That's the determining factor.

The performance penalty is exagerated. The security implications are not. Nor is the call of it being a "signifigant redesign of OS kernels." After reading they basically ripped out the shared symbol file wholehog (a mainstay since the 90s) I'm actually inclined to agree with the media: That's the biggest redesign in some time.

This and might I add, the performance penalty is exaggerated for US, azure,aws,google farms have yet to feel the impact since these patches will require full node reboots. But those clusters dont word the way our desktops do.

EDIT:: I would also like too add, the real question is again, what are the performance implications for those this will actually affect? The answer is we will probably never know. Internal metrics are seldom announced or shared for competitive advantage. However MS isnt just going to let its Azure clusters fall on there face. They will task out more nodes to pick up the performance so customers dont see a thing. I would be very interested in that number though.

This effects a range of platforms, not just intel. This is a major issue that even the Gov sent our work security emails today warning us. Our personal security company also called to have a meeting about this issue. Here is a gov article explaining in more detail
https://isc.sans.edu/diary.html?utm...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
This seems to have the greatest effect on enterprise level systems. But even on personal type devices there is risk. I'm betting this has already been exploited on some level in the wild. It wouldn't be surprising at all if there were governments around the world have do so. Apple's walled garden seems to have had a benefit though.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Software W10HB
Will my smart phone be safe(not running windows, or IOS)? Is it a dumb phone now? Or just a phone, do I need to be running certain programs for it to be vulnerable? OK, I'll go read more links..........

Will my smart phone be safe(not running windows, or IOS)? Is it a dumb phone now? Or just a phone, do I need to be running certain programs for it to be vulnerable?
If it's Android, root your phone, install a firewall[my personal fav is AFWall+] and don't let anything connect that does not need to. Then install an adblocker on your web browser and never turn it off. Get yourself in the habit of not leaving the phone connected to the internet 24/7. Making sure you stay away from websites that fall under the category of " IShouldn'tBeHere.Com " and you should be ok.
If you have a phone that you can't root, you can still use a non-root firewall that will still work well.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Damn casuals. Run VIA chips like real men!

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Didnt google mention android wasnt affected? May want to check their statement...

..id link it, but im mobile.

Didnt google mention android wasnt affected? May want to check their statement...
..id link it, but im mobile.
When you get a chance, I'd like to read what you're referring to. According to brandonwh64's link and arctechnica; https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...odern-processor-has-unfixable-security-flaws/ , and a growing number of other sources, these problems will effect all CPU's with any level of execution prediction, which literally goes all the way back to the CPU's from the late 90's on. This is turning into some seriously scary stuff.

EDIT; found this; https://meltdownattack.com/
The info found there is very informative about the details of this set of problems.

Last edited:

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA

Many Journalist and Reviewers are just playing the Nostradamus's Game. Lol

Does anyone has the time to tell if this whole thing affect Intel's future CPU's?

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
My 4790K system received the KB4056892 update from Windows earlier today, so I tested overall performance with Passmark Performance Test 9.0 a few minutes ago. It tested out the same as always, maybe a tiny bit slower, but within margin of error. It is still faster than 99% of all systems tested. I'm not worried about it, and any Intel-bashing is not justified, in my opinion.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
My 4790K system received the KB4056892 update from Windows earlier today, so I tested overall performance with Passmark Performance Test 9.0 a few minutes ago. It tested out the same as always, maybe a tiny bit slower, but within margin of error. It is still faster than 99% of all systems tested. I'm not worried about it, and any Intel-bashing is not justified, in my opinion.
The full effect of Micrsoft's patch hasn't been felt yet until Intel pushes out a microcode/firmware update. The first half of the patch is still inactive.

Branch Target Injection is inactive without the necessary hardware support but Rogue Data Cache Load is flipped on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.