• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Lesson from the Crypto/DRAM Plagues: Build Future-Proof

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
As someone who does not mine crypto-currency, loves fast computers, and gaming on them, I find the current crypto-currency mining craze using graphics cards nothing short of a plague. It's like war broke out, and your government took away all the things you love from the market. All difficult times teach valuable lessons, and in this case, it is "Save up and build future-proof."

When NVIDIA launched its "Pascal" GPU architecture way back in Summer 2016, and AMD followed up, as a user of 2x GeForce GTX 970 SLI, I did not feel the need to upgrade anything, and planned to skip the Pascal/Polaris/Vega generation, and only upgrade when "Volta" or "Navi" offered something interesting. My pair of GTX 970 cards are backed by a Core i7-4770K processor, and 16 GB of dual-channel DDR3-1866 memory, both of which were considered high-end when I bought them, around 2014-15.

Throughout 2016, my GTX 970 pair ate AAA titles for breakfast. With NVIDIA investing on advancing SLI with the new SLI-HB, and DirectX 12 promising a mixed multi-GPU utopia, I had calculated a rather rosy future for my cards (at least to the point where NVIDIA would keep adding SLI profiles for newer games for my cards to chew through). What I didn't see coming was the inflection point between the decline of multi-GPU and crypto-plague eating away availability of high-end graphics cards at sane prices. That is where we are today.

I would still like to think that my machine is better off than that of someone whose purchase decisions in 2014-15 were guided purely by the pursuit of the "price-performance sweetspot." A machine with a single GTX 970, a $150-ish Core i3 processor, and 8 GB of memory, would find it rather difficult to play today's AAA titles at recommended settings. To play them at 1080p, you would have to water down quite some eye-candy, and in some cases, even use fallbacks to older API versions (DirectX 11) on some games, for playable frame-rates. In a parallel universe without the crypto-plague, a $300-ish investment on a sweetspot graphics card such as the GTX 1070 would be a quick-fix to the problem.

There is still hope that some day graphics card prices will come down, that repeated crypto-exchange heists and growing difficulty levels will make it unviable for just anyone and their dog with a graphics card to mine coins; and NVIDIA and AMD launch new-generation GPUs at sane prices. Save up for that day. Save big, for when that day comes, build future-proof.

You may not have to aim for an HEDT (high-end desktop) build with some high core-count processor, quad-channel memory, and oodles of connectivity; but the fastest mainstream-desktop processor (which is where the Core i7-8700K and the Ryzen 7 1800X stand today), should do. Pair that with an amount of memory that's at least half of what the processor's memory controller supports. My Core i7-4770K, for example, supports a maximum of 32 GB of memory. I paired it with 16 GB of it. 16 GB is just a quarter of what today's i7-8700K and 1800X support.

With multi-GPU showing no signs of a revival, your next graphics card purchase should ideally be the SKU that's just a notch below your preferred GPU manufacturer's halo product (which are often overpriced). The GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, is an example of one such SKU. Such a card will give you future-proofing for at least 3 years, and game-developers will point to such SKUs in their recommended system requirements lists for the foreseeable 5 years.

DRAM prices continue to torment gaming PC builders, with memory prices seeing triple-digit inflation over what they should be (a 32 GB dual-channel DDR4 memory kit, which should have ideally been priced around $200, is going for $500 these days). While DRAM prices are hot, NAND flash prices aren't. Solid-state drives, which still majorly implement NAND flash (with 3D Xpoint still in its infancy), are the cheapest they've ever been, with price-per-gigabyte dipping below the $0.25-mark for the first time. The world's largest NAND flash memory makers also happen to be the world's largest DRAM makers, so I wouldn't count on SSDs being forever cheap. I would buy the largest capacity SSD with $0.25-ish price-per-GB while I still can.

There may yet be a future for DIY gaming PCs, provided you buy components that are sanely priced right now, and save up for future-proof components as their prices sober up. Sweetspot products turn bitter sooner than you think.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I built future proof in 2012, with Sandy Bridge.
One upgrade in that time on the GPU.
So what should I do now that I'm ready for an upgrade?
I think the lesson you are suggesting relies on lucky timing.

Growing crypto difficulties mean jack s**t. They'll just make up some new one and everything starts from scratch again and the difficult one will just get abandoned. It's how it's been happening till now and it won't change in the future since everyone wants easy money...

Processor i7 4790k / ryzen 1700
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Extreme / gigabyte b350 mini itx
Cooling Corsair H70 / cooler master master liquid
Memory 32gb DDR3 / 32gb ddr4
Video Card(s) Gtx 1080 / gtx 1080
Storage 128gb Samsung 850 Pro, 2tb hdd / 500gb 850 evo
Case Thermaltake Chaser Mk-1 / Silverstone m13b
Power Supply 1000W OCZ Gold Full Modular / seasonic focus 850w
Mouse Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Good point on the SSD drives. One day I'm hoping that the prices of ram and gpus will fall but Idk when/if they will at this rate.

I built future proof in 2012, with Sandy Bridge.
One upgrade in that time on the GPU.
So what should I do now that I'm ready for an upgrade?
I think the lesson you are suggesting relies on lucky timing.

That's absolutely right. Although sometimes you can smell the price increases coming. I did, thats how i got my GTX 1080 for 430$ right before prices started surging. I knew what was coming pretty much since radeon cards started running out.

That took being in the know. Same with DRAM. The nand market showed predictions of being more expensive each coming quarter so...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Growing crypto difficulties mean jack s**t. They'll just make up some new one and everything starts from scratch again and the difficult one will just get abandoned. It's how it's been happening till now and it won't change in the future since everyone wants easy money...

There's still a fixed amount of investor money to sellout to in the main currencies, so yes, diffilculty is relevant.

Last edited:

HZCH

If you had told me even 1 month ago a gtx1080ti for less than 800 dollars is indeed future-proofing...
I have a friend eho wants to build his first budget gaming PC, this shortage is making him miss the train to #PCMR land

If you had told me even 1 month ago a gtx1080ti for less than 1264,00 лв. (800 dollars) is indeed future-proofing...
I have a friend eho wants to build his first budget gaming PC, this shortage is making him miss the train to #PCMR land

There are some stores that will sell you a video card close to msrp if you build a whole system. I know that Micro Center is on of them.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
@btarunr Ah, the power of hindsight. I figured that my 1080 would be enough for the next couple of years without paying the £200+ premium for a 1080 Ti. I even found some really cheap ones (still more than the 1080) and passed on them in the wait for Volta. If I'd had any idea that this would happen, I'd have bought the Ti.

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
@btarunr Calling blockchain stuff a "plague" is a bit OTT. You'd be better off calling capitalism that, it would be more accurate as the high prices seems to be mostly retailers upping the price because they can. The end customer's use of the item should not be an issue.

@btarunr Calling blockchain stuff a "plague" is a bit OTT. You'd be better off calling capitalism that, it would be more accurate as the high prices seems to be mostly retailers upping the price because they can. The end customer's use of the item should not be an issue.
capitalism lol, shut up ****
This is just mindless and pointless craziness

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
I think you missed my point. And no, it is not pointless, it is laying the groundwork/testing blockchain tech which has legitimate real world uses.

Take a look at what Maersk and IBM are doing for global shipping for example.

Would you have an issue with it if there was plenty of chip supply for the demand and the prices were capped at MSRP?

Oh and what word is the **** supposed to represent? Is that meant as a personal attack?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
capitalism lol, shut up ****
This is just mindless and pointless craziness

How about you try and debate the point like a rational human being rather than resorting to name calling?

Would you have an issue with it if there was plenty of chip supply for the demand and the prices were capped at MSRP?

I have a feeling if that was the case, few would know/care about crypto and even fewer would be against it.

Oh, the irony. That's the problem with this whole debate. Both sides are always "me, me, me!" and never do they look at it from the other side.

Just so everyone knows, you can make more money buying cards at MSRP from nowinstock.net and selling cards higher than MSRP at ebay than mining.

Guess what a lot of people are doing?

That's not mining, that's capitalism.

The same G.Skill Rijaws V series 16GB x2 kits which I future proofed and bought 2 kits of in early 2016 were $150 and are now $400 now. I actually skimped on my CPU & GPU upgrades a bit and went with a Skylake i3 and a ASRock board to overclock it via BCLK along with a GTX960 4GB. I game ona 43" Vizio 4K display however so the it's not the greatest setup. At the same time it's not bad and I don't really regret any of my purchase decisions too much. I wasn't impressed with the GTX970 enough because of it's 3.5GB VRAM issue and the GTX980 was priced a bit too much out of reach. If anything I probably could have more strongly considered a i5 I'd say, but honestly the i3 isn't that bad OC with DDR4 3200MHz and I think it'll have more life in it than it gets credit if paired with the right future GPU.

My next GPU will definatly have 8GB of VRAM or more which should help offset the weaker CPU not having enough VRAM in games that require it is often one of the bigger pitfalls to image quality versus performance so I think I'll manage fine. I do alright even with my current setup so I can't really complain I have to turn a lot of settings to low now or off in some cases if it's something I don't really care about anyway and impacts FPS fairly noticeably. That said games still awesome I'm sure the 4K resolution helps offset lowering of some of the other settings anyway in a fairly noticeable way. I'm curious now how shadows/lighting for example looks at like 1080p on high versus upscaled 4k on medium/low in a side by side comparison it would be interesting. I mean obviously resolution impacts and lessens the perceived effect on AA so it probably helps with lighting and shadows too, but I've never seen it really compared between the two on a tech site in depth.

I think you missed my point. And no, it is not pointless, it is laying the groundwork/testing blockchain tech which has legitimate real world uses.

Take a look at what Maersk and IBM are doing for global shipping for example.

Oh and what word is the **** supposed to represent? Is that meant as a personal attack?
there will never, evere, be a big enough supply. if nvidia/amd triplicate their production miners simply buy 3 time the gpu.
It is a dangerous craziness that must be eradicated. Anyone trying to argue on this is simply blind

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
there will never, evere, be a big enough supply. if nvidia/amd triplicate their production miners simply buy 3 time the gpu.

People say this but it's really not true. There isn't infinite investor money to go around. In the end, we are all competing for the same investor bucks and there are only so many to go around to the ever growing group of miners. As such, the market has to reach equilibrium because at some point it simply won't be profitable anymore. We just have to get production there.

It is a dangerous craziness that must be eradicated. Anyone trying to argue on this is simply blind

How is it dangerous that you can't play video games? I mean irritating, sure? But dangerous? FFS man. You sound like your talking about nazis or something.

I share in the mining is a plague sentiment to be honest...it doesn't really fill a real need or purpose in the first place aside from making money out of thin air for people with excess that are clever enough to scam idiots into buying into it. I'll stick to the good old US dollar it's been reliable enough.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I share in the mining is a plague sentiment to be honest...it doesn't really fill a real need or purpose in the first place aside from making money out of thin air for people with excess that are clever enough to scam idiots into buying into it.

Minus the thin air part (It's not "thin air" it's investor money, or real world money as you'd consider it), I agree. The current system is speculative and unstable, and dependent entirely on honestly what I consider an overvalued investment by wall-street types. But I consider this a very much "beta" phase and I don't expect bitcoin to last longterm. There are far greater things to come from the tech it has introduced.

a cripto m
People say this but it's really not true. There isn't infinite investor money to go around. In the end, we are all competing for the same investor bucks and there are only so many to go around to the ever growing group of miners. As such, the market has to reach equilibrium because at some point it simply won't be profitable anymore. We just have to get production there.

How is it dangerous that you can't play video games? I mean irritating, sure? But dangerous? FFS man. You sound like your talking about nazis or something.
lol, energy wasted without any mean, a crazy bubble that can explode and burn bilions of true money, creating a currency that is more and more concentrated in the hand of few people, a currency with no garanties, a currency that is not eaven a currency cause you cant ise it, no one whant to be payed in crypto.
A currency that is the distilles essens of the pure speculation.
You are fool, yes a fool if you think such a situation can last longer.
To be good a crypto must be, firs proof of stake, that can be a good to create opportunity tu earn money the way you earn interests. Must be guaranteed by someone, must be legal, spendable and accepted, the amount should not be fixed becaise other way this cripto will became again not a currency but a speculation instrument.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
no one whant to be payed in crypto.

You know, for all your valid points above (I just agreed with a poster saying much of the same), this one quote strikes me as completely false. Crypto has NEVER been more accepted than in the past year, and it's only going up since places like bitpay (chief payment processor for pretty much everyone accepting crypto) has started accepting altcoins.

I also don't buy into the idea that crypto is going anywhere, honestly. Nothing indicates that. That's bad short term perhaps but could be very good longterm. It depends largely on how efficient it can be made/implemented.

You know, for all your valid points above (I just agreed with a poster saying much of the same), this one quote strikes me as completely false. Crypto has NEVER been more accepted than in the past year, and it's only going up since places like bitpay (chief payment processor for pretty much everyone accepting crypto) has started accepting altcoins.

I also don't buy into the idea that crypto is going anywhere, honestly. Nothing indicates that. That's bad short term perhaps but could be very good longterm. It depends largely on how efficient it can be made/implemented.
if i give you a bitcoin and nothing less, without the possibility to exchange it, in a normal city around the world, you ll starve very fast
(ps pardon my bad English)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
if i give you a bitcoin and nothing less, without the possibility to exchange it, in a normal city around the world, you ll starve very fast

That's a silly and contrived scenario.

In the real world even if I didn't have internet access, I could sell it very easily on the street. Hell, I could probably SELL it to a fast food dude who recognized it from the news for a meal.

Or, in the nearest big city to me, Seattle, I could just stop by that weird coffee place that accepts bitcoin and buy a metric ton of coffee cake.

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
i7 2600K @ 5GHz + HD 7950 @ 1200/1690MHz - bought 7-5 years ago and still enough to have lots of fun with it.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
So another GPU shortage thread? We all know the shortage exists, we all know mining exists... And I'm sure all our opinions have been shared multiple times. We're just spinning our wheels on this and have been for some time now.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
So another GPU shortage thread? We all know the shortage exists, we all know mining exists... And I'm sure all our opinions have been shared multiple times. We're just spinning our wheels on this and have been for some time now.
But, but... it's ok cause a mod started it and it's an editorial not just a general moaning thread :laugh:

But seriously it's about more than just GPU prices, RAM prices have gone the same way, so did CPU prices when Intel held their monopoly for so many years. In general it feels like we had a golden 10 years or so where prices across the board where very good and even on modest budgets you could build a pretty solid build that would last for 3-5 years. I would say even though the whole PC/desktop computer market has declined in recent years the market for custom PC's/Gaming PC's/HEDT and self made has grown, in turn, manufacturers of components, not neccesarily system builders have noticed this trend and systematically increased their prices across the board to maximise profits, call it supply and demand, fab problems, floods, increased costs etc etc but it is what it is. It will definitely turn again and maybe not so long on the GPU front as a lot of gamers have been holding off for a long time in purchasing new GPU's, same with RAM, it's just a waiting game, how long before people who have put off upgrading and building a new system before the knock on effect is felt by the manufacturers, even with their current inflated prices?