• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fur Mark CPU Stress Test Issue

BROWNC5

Hello Guys

Specs:
1080ti founders
AMD x1700 OC 3.8ghz Watercooled (temps always under 55c under 100% load)
32GB 3000Mhz hyperX ram
256GB SSD
2TB HDD
1000 Watt evga gold rated psu

I have always used prime95 to stress test my CPU and never had any problems with my OC, I used Furmarks CPU stress test today and it was causing my PC to hang for a couple of seconds randomly. I left the test running overnight to see if it would blue screen or lock up completely but it didn't....................What would you guys recommend to double check? Or could it be the furmark cpu stress test is just a load of crap?

Also I have been running Prime95 as we speak and have no lock ups or issues.

Can anyone help me?!?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
How about just using your machine instead of using shitty software.

He did ask if the software is shitty...

I would say furmark is. Prime95 and general usage is my stresstest.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Furmark is extremely stressful and was likely showing up some instability in your system. Especially with an FE card, it gets hotter than one with a decent aftermarket cooler, even with thermal and power throttling active. Hitches without crashing are possible on a system that's generating recoverable errors, which I suspect yours was doing.

Look, my Zotac GTX 1080 Amp! Extreme (3 slot cooler) takes Furmark in its stride and doesn't even blink, but I still don't run it for more than 5 minutes or so. That's because it's stressing out the power circuitry and other parts of the graphics card that you can't see, so it's best not to push it for too long or too often. This becomes increasingly true as a system gets older and the components are more worn out.

In short, I don't think Furmark is crappy as you seem to think, just extremely stressful, as this is exactly what it's designed to do.

BROWNC5

Furmark is extremely stressful and was likely showing up some instability in your system. Especially with an FE card, it gets hotter than one with a decent aftermarket cooler, even with thermal and power throttling active. Hitches without crashing are possible on a system that's generating recoverable errors, which I suspect yours was doing.

Look, my Zotac GTX 1080 Amp! Extreme (3 slot cooler) takes Furmark in its stride and doesn't even blink, but I still don't run it for more than 5 minutes or so. That's because it's stressing out the power circuitry and other parts of the graphics card that you can't see, so it's best not to push it for too long or too often. This becomes increasingly true as a system gets older and the components are more worn out.

In short, I don't think Furmark is "shitty" as you seem to think, just extremely stressful, as this is exactly what it's designed to do.

Hiya bud. My GPU is perfectly ok as I don't overclock and heard furmark can kill GPUs so don't use it for that purpose. I used it for the CPU stress test dude. That was my concern.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Hiya bud. My GPU is perfectly ok as I don't overclock and heard furmark can kill GPUs so don't use it for that purpose. I used it for the CPU stress test dude. That was my concern.
Well, it will stress out the CPU, power circuitry too, so the same thing applies. I thought you made a typo when you wrote "cpu", but it does have that mode.

System Name Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-45-R715)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard AMD Promontory / Bixby FCH
Cooling Acer Nitro Sense
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Graphics (Cezanne) / NVIDIA RTX 3080 Laptop GPU
Storage WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ
Display(s) BOE CQ NE156QHM-NY3
Software Windows 11 beta channel
AMD x1700 OC 3.8ghz...
What would you guys recommend to double check? Or could it be the furmark cpu stress test is just a load of crap?

Since the test is date stamped November 2013 i would ask the author to re-check the tool with a Ryzen CPU.
There have been a lot of changes in the microarchitecture, e.g. "down core control" that might confuse an old application.

EDIT:

Forward these documents to him:

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Fair point but I've had OC go bad before, even after stress testing for 12 hours. Hence my concerns.

Furmark's CPU Burner is not a stability test. It is designed to just load the CPU as much as possible to generate as much heat. That is why it is called a burner and not a stability test. It, AFAIK, has no error detection like a proper stability test.

This is also why you are seeing odd behavior. The pauses aren't because your CPU is unstable, it is because your CPU is loaded to the point it can't handle doing anything else and gets backed up.

It definitely is a good thing to test CPU overclocks with a few different programs, IMO. Because while a CPU might be stable in one program, it might actually be unstable in another. I've seen this several times. Just the fact different programs use different instructions sets can reveal instability in the CPU. For example, old versions of Prime95(always make sure you have the latest) didn't use the AVX instructions. However, Intel Burn Test did use AVX, so Intel Burn Test would often find instability when Prime95 would not. This is because using the AVX instructions not only generate more heat, but they also put more stress on the CPU and tend to reveal instability more. This is actually why a lot of modern motherboards have an AVX offset setting now, that automatically lowers the CPU OC Speed a few notches when AVX workloads are detected.

If you want to test your CPU overclock with a few other stability tests I recommend the following:

Aida64 - You can just use the Extreme Trial Version, not the free edition. Under the Tools there is a System Stability test. I run the CPU, FPU, and Cache stress test for at least 12 hours before I consider the CPU Stable. The memory stress test is good too if you are overclocking your memory.

x264 Stability Test - It is best to run this test from a HDD you have in the system if possible, not a SSD, because it does write a lot to the disk. For a quick test I like to use a 5 loop run. But for my final stability test I set it to infinity and then let it run for at least 12 hours. Of course, quick is a relative term depending on your CPU. Because this program is actually doing video encodes, the amount of time it takes to complete a loop greatly depends on your CPU. So for dual-cores I tend to use 2 or 3 loops as a quick test instead of 5.

OCCT - This one has two CPU stability tests in it. One they developed(though I think it is pretty much Prime95 based) and a Linpack stress test. Again, I run both for 12 hours each.

IntelBurnTest - This is another Linpack stress test like the one in OCCT, so I don't really even use this anymore. I just use the one in OCCT. But it isn't a bad one to have if you want to use it.

I really only stability test with Aida64, x264 Stability Test, and OCCT anymore. IMO, that gives a very good coverage on CPU use cases. I don't use Prime95 anymore because the OCCT stress test seems to be extremely similar to it, so it would just be a redundant test. The same goes for IntelBurnTest, the Linpack test in OCCT does basically the same testing so I don't bother running both. Yes, I do run each test for 12 hours after I finalize my overclock, for a total of 2 days(more like 2 and a half actual due to gaps between running tests), but that is what I like to do to give me the best chance of a long lasting stable overclock. I don't like to mess around with finding out my overclock isn't actually stable a few months down the road when I decide I want to do something different that just gaming like encode video. So I just cover all the bases when I set up the overclock so I worry less. I know this much stability testing is not for everyone, and some will say any amount of stability testing is a waste and you should just play games and hope they don't crash, but that isn't what I like to do.

Last edited:

BROWNC5

Furmark's CPU Burner is not a stability test. It is designed to just load the CPU as much as possible to generate as much heat. That is why it is called a burner and not a stability test. It, AFAIK, has no error detection like a proper stability test.

This is also why you are seeing odd behavior. The pauses aren't because your CPU is unstable, it is because your CPU is loaded to the point it can't handle doing anything else and gets backed up.

It definitely is a good thing to test CPU overclocks with a few different programs, IMO. Because while a CPU might be stable in one program, it might actually be unstable in another. I've seen this several times. Just the fact different programs use different instructions sets can reveal instability in the CPU. For example, old versions of Prime95(always make sure you have the latest) didn't use the AVX instructions. However, Intel Burn Test did use AVX, so Intel Burn Test would often find instability when Prime95 would not. This is because using the AVX instructions not only generate more heat, but they also put more stress on the CPU and tend to reveal instability more. This is actually why a lot of modern motherboards have an AVX offset setting now, that automatically lowers the CPU OC Speed a few notches when AVX workloads are detected.

If you want to test your CPU overclock with a few other stability tests I recommend the following:

Aida64 - You can just use the Trial Version. Under the Tools there is a System Stability test. I run the CPU, FPU, and Cache stress test for at least 12 hours before I consider the CPU Stable. The memory stress test is good too if you are overclocking your memory.

x264 Stability Test - It is best to run this test from a HDD you have in the system if possible, because it does write a lot to the disk. For a quick test I like to use a 10 loop run. But for my final stability test I set it to infinity and then let it run for at least 12 hours. Of course, quick is a relative term depending on your CPU. Because this program is actually doing video encodes, the amount of time it takes to complete a loop greatly depends on your CPU. So for dual-cores I tend to use 4 or 5 loops as a quick test instead or 10.

OCCT - This one has two CPU stability tests in it. One they developed(though I think it is pretty much Prime95 based) and a Linpack stress test. Again, I run both for 12 hours each.

IntelBurnTest - This is another Linpack stress test like the one in OCCT, so I don't really even use this anymore. I just use the one in OCCT. But it isn't a bad one to have if you want to use it.

I really only stability test with Aida64, x264 Stability Test, and OCCT anymore. IMO, that gives a very good coverage on CPU use cases. I don't use Prime95 anymore because the OCCT stress test seems to be extremely similar to it, so it would just be a redundant test. The same goes for IntelBurnTest, the Linpack test in OCCT does basically the same testing so I don't bother running both. Yes, I do run each test for 12 hours after I finalize my overclock, for a total of 2 days(more like 2 and a half actual due to gaps between running tests), but that is what I like to do to give me the best chance of a long lasting stable overclock. I don't like to mess around with finding out my overclock isn't actually stable a few months down the road when I decide I want to do something different that just gaming like encode video. So I just cover all the bases when I set up the overclock so I worry less. I know this much stability testing is not for everyone, and some will say any amount of stability testing is a waste and you should just play games and hope they don't crash, but that isn't what I like to do.

Thank you so much dude!

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
i am beginning to despair of TPU as a place to ask for help.. for every yay there is a nay..

there is nothing wrong with the furmark cpu burner.. if a machine wont run it.. its not stable.. the problem is the machine not the software..

actually the real problem is the owner not wanting to accept what the software is telling him.. he he

trog

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
there is nothing wrong with the furmark cpu burner.. if a machine wont run it.. its not stable.. the problem is the machine not the software..

The problem is with the user , more precisely what he thinks stable means. Matter of the fact is most people waste their time running ridiculously intensive synthetic tests for hours on end that are no where near real world scenarios.

It's a very good thing that we are pointing that out right away instead of falling directly into the endless pit that stress testing is.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Ok stress tests sometimes fill the machines memory up, so it relegates to swap space, when cpu is at 100% with memory use at 100% it will freeze here and there, just like a system with 1gb of ram running windows 7... the system is still working though. Its normal for a stress test such as furmark to do this.

If you want to know anything run occt or Ryzen Blender.

If you are not locking up/ bsod during youtube, gaming, webbrowsing, file extraction/compression, office work or folding/crunching you are fine.

Be a computer user not a number watcher

Last edited:

BROWNC5

Ok stress tests sometimes fill the machines memory up, so it relegates to swap space, when cpu is at 100% with memory use at 100% it will freeze here and there, just like a system with 1gb of ram running windows 7... the system is still working though. Its normal for a stress test such as furmark to do this.

If you want to know anything run occt or Ryzen Blender.

If you are not locking up/ bsod during youtube, gaming, webbrowsing, file extraction/compression, office workers or folding/crunching you are fine.

Be a computer user not a number watcher

Very true. But I only do this every 6 months it's not a regular thing. Maybe I'm overly worried about a issue when there isn't one. thank you for the advice dude.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
i am beginning to despair of TPU as a place to ask for help.. for every yay there is a nay..

actually the real problem is the owner not wanting to accept what the software is telling him.. he he

trog

Trog, the software isn't telling him anything. It's bogging down his rig without crashing, as it should.

As for the rudeness, or unintended rudeness, what have you, bottom line is we could have started off better.

Let's try again, shall we? Welcome to TPU! :)

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
mr frog.. i use the furnark cpu burner as a general load stability tester.. i run it in the background whilst browsing for a few hours .. if it dosnt do anything untowards i assume my machine is stable enough for me..

i dont feel its your job to pass judgment on what i say in an overly moralistic way.. so please stop doing it..

thank you

trog

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
OK this is to all parties in this thread. Major cleanup has been done. We either discuss the stability and what to use to find it from now on or don't post at all. Any more personal comments back and forth will be awarded with points (and not the good kind).

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
i dont feel its your job to pass judgment on what i say in an overly moralistic way..

That was never my intent. Please accept my apologies.

If you would like to point out other areas you feel I have done this in a PM, I would be happy to address them as well. For now just know I will never judge you in any sort of "moralistic" way. I feel that is your job. :)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Very true. But I only do this every 6 months it's not a regular thing. Maybe I'm overly worried about a issue when there isn't one. thank you for the advice dude.

Yes you are over worrying about it, just enjoy your rig, if you start having issues just ask a question in a new thread and we will try to help if you can't figure it out on your own.