• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

G wifi channel in congested building

Let me preface this by saying I am a firm believer in the "If it can be wired it should be wired" mantra. I kind of despise wifi these days - I even have extra outlets in the places I use my laptop so I can use gigabit. I moved into an apartment a couple months ago, and I was allowed to cable the entire place. But I have a 1st gen Fire stick in my bedroom with unrootable FW, and because of that I can't use an OTG ethernet adapter. I'm holding off buying a new one right now because I want the one with the embedded Echo that's supposedly coming out. Its Plex streaming performance on N 2.4GHz has always kind of sucked (always get the "Connection to server is not fast enough" error and have to switch to low bitrate transcode), and I have never been able to get it to connect to the 5GHz band on my router - but that router has now crapped out so its moot. I dug out my old trusty 54GL with DD-WRT and in setting it up I analyzed the channel usage in the building... And now I know why it's giving me guff.. There's 16 units in my building, and I can see all of their APs (plus ad-hoc devices which creates even more interference) because I'm right in the middle. They do seem to be pretty evenly spread between channels 1, 6, and 11.. I was originally going to use channel 14 (yeah, I know, illegal, blah), since DD-WRT unlocks it, but the fire stick doesn't see it. So my question is, in practice, is it better to stick with one of the congested main channels, or should one of the "inbetweens" like 3 or 8, work better or worse, given they overlap the main channels?

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I sure would try 3. What's the harm in trying? If it is worse, change it to something else.

System Name Scrapped Parts, Unite !
Processor Ryzen 5 3600 @4.0 Ghz
Motherboard MSI B450-A Pro MAX
Cooling Stock
Memory Team Group Elite 16 GB 3133Mhz
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame GeForce GTX1060 Vulcan U 6G
Storage Hitachi 500 GB, Sony 1TB, KINGSTON 400A 120GB // Samsung 160 GB
Display(s) HP 2009f
Case Xigmatek Asgard Pro // Cooler Master Centurion 5
Power Supply OCZ ModXStream Pro 500 W
Mouse Logitech G102
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Minesweeper 30fps, Tetris 40 fps, with overheated CPU and GPU
2.4Ghz general cover wider area than 5Ghz but slower, with that said the channel 1,6,11 has least overlapping
5 Ghz on the other hand has far more superior bandwidth than the 2.4 G but its range is pretty weak
so, if you planning to put multiple AP in same area/bulding close to each other I suggest to try use 5 Ghz as their area coverage is small thus cause less interference.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Yep, I'd definitely try a different channel. I'm using channel 2 right now because of this:
Screenshot_2018-02-10-21-24-37.png

And I live in my own house! That is just how saturated 2.4GHz is getting. 5GHz isn't far behind thanks to pretty much every ISP installing a wifi router with both channels now...

Personally, if you only have the one device that needs Wi-Fi, and it is attached to a TV and never moves, I'd run a cable to the Firestick, and put an access point right next to. So the Wi-Fi only has to travel like a foot.

I sure would try 3. What's the harm in trying? If it is worse, change it to something else.

Yeah I set it to 3, and it seems to be working OK. I can raise the streaming limit to 8Mbps/1080p without it buffering (I had to have it at 2Mbps/720p before), but I still can't let it do direct play at the original bitrate (most of my rips are 10-12 Mbps but some that I use as reference material like Avatar and Pixar movies are up to 25Mbps) because it still chokes. Oh well, like I said it's really just a stopgap until I get the new Fire TV and a new AP. I was just sorta curious because I came across a couple posts and comments that said NOT to use the inbetweens because they overlap the crowded channels on both sides so it would be worse performing - but other people disagreed.. So I wanted to see what you guys thought. I think since the center frequency is out of the crowd and strongest it should be better, no?

2.4Ghz general cover wider area than 5Ghz but slower, with that said the channel 1,6,11 has least overlapping
5 Ghz on the other hand has far more superior bandwidth than the 2.4 G but its range is pretty weak
so, if you planning to put multiple AP in same area/bulding close to each other I suggest to try use 5 Ghz as their area coverage is small thus cause less interference.

My issue is really just that there are so many 2.4GHz APs and ad hocs in my building that it's causing me problems. I'm trying to get by with what I have until I get a new AP and that new Fire TV. The Fire stick that I have and an old tablet that I use as a clock/weather display are the only wifi devices that I use - everything else I have is hardwired to a gigabit switch. I scanned the 5GHz band and there are 9 wideband and 4 narrowband APs that I can see (the router/modem our ISP gives out is dual-band so most of them are dupe -5 SSIDs of what's on 2.4).

And I live in my own house! That is just how saturated 2.4GHz is getting. 5GHz isn't far behind thanks to pretty much every ISP installing a wifi router with both channels now...
I had to wire my sister's house because they had bought Rokus for all the TVs so they could cut the cord, but they couldn't get any of them to work reliably due to the fact that they live in a very crowded beach community, and literally every neighbor (it was about 15-20 in range) had a Fios router on the same channel. And yeah like I said to chaosmassive, when I scanned 5GHz here I found most of the 2.4 SSIDs were duplicated on 5GHz because our ISP provides a dual band router.

Personally, if you only have the one device that needs Wi-Fi, and it is attached to a TV and never moves, I'd run a cable to the Firestick, and put an access point right next to. So the Wi-Fi only has to travel like a foot.

Yeah I had the old AP mounted right behind the TV and it still didn't work lol. Now that it went legs up on me today I think it may have been on its way out when I moved in, but I had it set to channel 11 at my old place and never actually scanned here until now. So it was probably a combination of the two lol.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Ive had to switch channels on customer routers because other homes were causing congestion to get best possible bandwidth

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
If that last image above is how it currently is, I would sure do whatever it takes to get that wireless router up off the floor, as high as possible. You are not helping yourself any by having that AC to DC converter power supply right next to it either.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
You are not helping yourself any by having that AC to DC converter power supply right next to it either.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that is an AC to DC converter. It looks like a POE breakbout box to me.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I could be wrong, but I don't think that is an AC to DC converter. It looks like a POE breakbout box to me.
You could be right but the router has to get power from somewhere. So I don't know what is in that image. If that is not the power supply, then there's no power getting to the router! If it is the power supply (AC to DC converter), it sure could affect RF propagation and reception and for sure ,is not helping it.

In any case, I still recommend mounting/sitting the router up high, not on the floor and not right next to its power supply when it is finally powered up.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
You could be right but the router has to get power from somewhere. So I don't know what is in that image. If that is not the power supply, then there's no power getting to the router! If it is the power supply (AC to DC converter), it sure could affect RF propagation and reception and for sure ,is not helping it.

It is getting power from the POE breakout box. That is what a POE breakout box does, it lets you send DC power over the ethernet cable to pretty much any device. The box splits the PoE into regular ethernet and a DC power jack.

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
I would also move the router out away from the wall, 1-2 feet so the signal does not ground out. (any wires or pipes in that wall?)

In any case, I still recommend mounting/sitting the router up high, not on the floor and not right next to its power supply when it is finally powered up.
It is getting power from the POE breakout box. That is what a POE breakout box does, it lets you send DC power over the ethernet cable to pretty much any device. The box splits the PoE into regular ethernet and a DC power jack.

Yeah its a PoE splitter. I have a real 802.3af switch too, it's not that hacky passive PoE that injects DC onto unused pairs.

I would also move the router out away from the wall, 1-2 feet so the signal does not ground out. (any wires or pipes in that wall?)

Its drywall and wood studs, no steel, no plumbing, and aside from the coax, wiring wouldn't be in those stud cavities based on where the light switch and outlet are.. I really don't even need the signal to get out of that room, it just needs to get to the fire stick plugged into the back of that TV.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Well, the signal would not "ground out" but metal pipes and wires sure can interfere and affect signal strength to and from the distant end. Of course that applies to every barrier (wall, floor and ceiling) between the router and connected device.

But wires and pipes typically run straight up and down from the floors above and below, then run parallel to the floor about a couple feet above the floor. Most routers are actually designed to be wall mounted too and either have mounting holes or come with wall brackets. So it really is not necessary to move it away from the wall. I just would not center it directly above a wall outlet or light switch.
I really don't even need the signal to get out of that room, it just needs to get to the fire stick plugged into the back of that TV.
Maybe you could try connecting the stick to a USB cable/extension cord then position the stick in a more "line of sight" location.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
I had the same problem years ago, 24 APs on 2.4ghz channels in a complex I was living in. Had to switch over from my n300 router to a n600 and go all 5ghz. Also look into power line adapters for any clients that can be hard wired. I now use my old n600 router as an upstairs AP with a powerline adapter.

Well, the signal would not "ground out" but metal pipes and wires sure can interfere and affect signal strength to and from the distant end. Of course that applies to every barrier (wall, floor and ceiling) between the router and connected device.

But wires and pipes typically run straight up and down from the floors above and below, then run parallel to the floor about a couple feet above the floor. Most routers are actually designed to be wall mounted too and either have mounting holes or come with wall brackets. So it really is not necessary to move it away from the wall. I just would not center it directly above a wall outlet or light switch. Maybe you could try connecting the stick to a USB cable/extension cord then position the stick in a more "line of sight" location.

Its actually working better there than the old one did being mounted right behind the TV literally inches away.. It's actually almost centered between the outlet and the light switch, so I doubt there's any electrical wiring there.

I had the same problem years ago, 24 APs on 2.4ghz channels in a complex I was living in. Had to switch over from my n300 router to a n600 and go all 5ghz. Also look into power line adapters for any clients that can be hard wired. I now use my old n600 router as an upstairs AP with a powerline adapter.

Yeah my old AP was an E3000 but I could never get the stick to connect to 5GHz, hence why I was originally stuck with it using 2.4. No need for powerline, I have the entire apartment hardwired. The fire stick just doesn't have an ethernet jack which is why I have to do this. ;)

Well, it's a bit late, but we have about 100 APs like this at our apt complex (mostly thanks to xfinity's stupid hidden aps in every single router). So we have more xfinity signal than our own AP in our own home. :shadedshu:

At first I examined the airspace and found an empty channel, but that only worked for a few hours because all the other routers are set on auto channel and keep hopping around infinitely. :banghead: So I had to set ours to do the same--and in scenarios like this, that is actually the best thing to do.

To solve our issues, I doubled our Internet speeds and we can now finally get on wifi what our old service was before the complex filled up.