• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

operating system / full retail version or oem?

Processor Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell Quad-Core 3.6GHz LGA 1150 84W
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-H87-D3H LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI
Cooling CPU - Cooler Master Hyper T4 / Case - cooler master 120mm rear case fan (Air cooling)
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) GTX1060 6GB
Storage Samsung 512 GB 840 PRO SSD Main Drive and Samsung 512 GB 840 EVO SSD Backup Drive
Display(s) ASUS 23" LED Monitor
Case COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 (silver & black)
Audio Device(s) (onboard audio) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply CORSAIR SU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
Software Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit Edition
just got rid of my old system with xp sp1 and now i am looking at what version OS i should get next. i'm guessing with my system i should stay with xp.

i had one of those dell cds that made me phone microsoft to register it.

i don't want limited registrations so do i have to get a hologram cd to get that?

when i see it is listed as an oem version i know it is just the cd but do they have oem hologram cds or is that just another dell cd they are trying to unload?

i'm in no rush at the moment as i am using registered version now so i'm good till next format.

also want to know how can i tell if sp2 is incorperated into cd or if it is in the package, because i noticed some saying "with sp2" and reviews said it was 2 cds not an incorperated package.

i just cant make sense of all those online sites selling the same item and part number anywhere from $200 to $80 for the identical stuff.

Last edited:

LonGun

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ (40C-50C max)
Motherboard ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe /WiFi
Cooling customized Big-Typhoon, x2-120mm, x1-80mm. & a Portable AC next to the case.
Memory Patriot 6.00 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS @645/1932 (45C min >60C max)
Storage SATA II: WD 500GB, Maxtor 200GB
Display(s) SCEPTRE 20" LCD (5ms) @ 1680x1050 res.
Case ULTRA Aluminus Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy SE
Power Supply Antec NEO HE 550W
Software OS: Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1
just got rid of my old system with xp sp1 and now i am looking at what version OS i should get next. i'm guessing with my system i should stay with xp.

i had one of those dell cds that made me phone microsoft to register it.

i don't want limited registrations so do i have to get a hologram cd to get that?

when i see it is listed as an oem version i know it is just the cd but do they have oem hologram cds or is that just another dell cd they are trying to unload?

i'm in no rush at the moment as i am using registered version now so i'm good till next format.

also want to know how can i tell if sp2 is incorperated into cd or if it is in the package, because i noticed some saying "with sp2" and reviews said it was 2 cds not an incorperated package.

i just cant make sense of all those online sites selling the same item and part number anywhere from $200 to $80 for the identical stuff.

Have you ever thought of aiming for Vista instead of XP? But if you've made your choice on XP then I'd go for the retail instead of the OEM. Besides the label on the disc or the information the seller showed on the product, 1 way to find out if it's included the SP2 is to installed it and go to System Properties --> General tab, see what shows on the system info. Or go to System Properties --> Hardware tab and if the Device Manager located on top of the other two (Drivers, Hardware Profiles), then you're using Windows XP + SP2. :)
Edit: If you're still concerning about those sellers, why not buy from a trustful site such as Newegg, ChiefValue, etc.

Cooling CPU - Cooler Master Hyper T4 / Case - cooler master 120mm rear case fan (Air cooling)
Storage Samsung 512 GB 840 PRO SSD Main Drive and Samsung 512 GB 840 EVO SSD Backup Drive
i haven't ruled vista out , but look at my specs, not sure it would be good idea.

as for checking after installing, that won't help me purchase it since software that is opened can't be returned and i am pretty certain i will buy online.

i am planning on buying from a trusted website, it's not the site i worry about it is knowing for sure what you are buying with so little info given about it.

there are reasons why prices are so different, they just don't do much to explain the differences. most just say "windows xp home sp2 oem" thats all they say lol.

ex_reven

OEM is cheaper.
The only thing you dont get is the official box and paperwork. Who cares?
Example - I bought Vista OEM Student edition - AUD$120 and I get the plastic dvd style case with the Vista installation/use manual.

Id Rule out vista. If you are satisfied with the performance of your existing setup, and you have no compatibility issues or find anything wrong with your setup I would go with XP. Out of the box, it performs much better. Vista can be a pain in the ass sometimes when you dont have drivers available.

System Name UltraPC
Processor E8500 Core 2 Duo, 1333Mhz FSB, 3.16Ghz @ 4.5GHz (got into Windows @ 4.75GHz)
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-e
Cooling CPU Cooler - TT V14 Pro, 2x120mm CM Blue LED fans, 1x90mm CM Blue LED fan
Memory G.Skill Pi 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel DDR2 PC8000 (1000MHz), 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4850 512mb with ASUS EAH4850 BIOS
Storage 2x 500GB Seagate 7200.12 Raid 0
Display(s) Acer AL1912, 19" LCD screen
Case Thermaltake Soprano Black ATX case
Audio Device(s) Onboard 7.1, Speakers - 5 + Sub + Monitor speakers
Power Supply Thermaltake 850W Toughpower Cable Management - Quad (2x18A and 2x30A) 12V rails
Software Win 7 Pro x64, MSN, CS:Source, etc etc
i haven't ruled vista out , but look at my specs, not sure it would be good idea.

as for checking after installing, that won't help me purchase it since software that is opened can't be returned and i am pretty certain i will buy online.

i am planning on buying from a trusted website, it's not the site i worry about it is knowing for sure what you are buying with so little info given about it.

there are reasons why prices are so different, they just don't do much to explain the differences. most just say "windows xp home sp2 oem" thats all they say lol.

If the only thing your worried about are your specs in getting Vista, id say to get it straight away :p.

Most problems with it are fixed. Ive installed it on around 10 systems (3 of my own) and I have not had ONE problem on either of the comps, except one. The only problem I had with one of em was some driver incompatibility, where there was a patch that was released, yet the program was uninstalled already. It did lead to a stack of problems, but that was only b/c the user didnt apply the patch before uninstalling the program.

Anyway, your specs are absolutely fine. Im running it hassle free and gaming with my P4 2.6Ghz, 9800 PRO, 1GB PC3200. No problems. I ran it on a laptop with a dual core 1.8, and only 512MB of RAM, and it ran fine (altho the system was only used for Internet, Word, PowerPoint, etc).

LonGun

Cooling customized Big-Typhoon, x2-120mm, x1-80mm. & a Portable AC next to the case.
If the only thing your worried about are your specs in getting Vista, id say to get it straight away :p.

Most problems with it are fixed. Ive installed it on around 10 systems (3 of my own) and I have not had ONE problem on either of the comps, except one. The only problem I had with one of em was some driver incompatibility, where there was a patch that was released, yet the program was uninstalled already. It did lead to a stack of problems, but that was only b/c the user didnt apply the patch before uninstalling the program.

Anyway, your specs are absolutely fine. Im running it hassle free and gaming with my P4 2.6Ghz, 9800 PRO, 1GB PC3200. No problems. I ran it on a laptop with a dual core 1.8, and only 512MB of RAM, and it ran fine (altho the system was only used for Internet, Word, PowerPoint, etc).

Yes, that's right. Most of the problems are fixed and of course it's getting better. Not too long from now, Vista service pack 1 will be out and you'll have to leave your xp disc on the shelter sooner or later. But that's enough for Vista :D . The most important thing in the software is the CD Key :D . OEM or Retails isn't going to make big difference. But yes, OEM is cheaper than Retails (you know why). So again, pick a site you trust and trust their info. If it says with SP2 included, it will be installed/upgraded automatically when you run the installation of your OS. No extra steps, no headaches hehe.

Ok, So As I Expected There Is Nothing Wrong With Oem Versions

What About The Hologram Cd Vs Dell Cds? Most Sites Have Disclaimers That Cover Pictures And Descriptions Being Wrong so how can i be sure its the holo cd?

I Dont Want Another Dell Cd And I Dont Want Frequent Reinstall Issues With microsoft when Registering, as example i reinstalled xp home about 12 times in the 3 years i had it.

LonGun

Ok, So As I Expected There Is Nothing Wrong With Oem Versions

What About The Hologram Cd Vs Dell Cds? Most Sites Have Disclaimers That Cover Pictures And Descriptions Being Wrong so how can i be sure its the holo cd?

I Dont Want Another Dell Cd And I Dont Want Frequent Reinstall Issues With microsoft when Registering, as example i reinstalled xp home about 12 times in the 3 years i had it.

If you purchase a MS Windows Operating System (XP or Vista) in an online/offline retailer, then the software will be just the Windows OS itself without any third-party software (Norton, RealPlayer, Google Toolbar, etc.) So don't worry. The Dell (or HP, Compaq, Emachines, etc.) Recovery Disc that you've mentioned only comes in the package when you buy a new manufaturer computer. Those manufaturer restore discs only available along with the computer you purchase from that specific company, (and if you ever lose them, you need to call that company to order those restore discs to help you put back the manufacturer settings like when you first bought it) . They do not sell them out there as a single Windows OS. So they're completely different than the "stock" MS Windows OS disc. You don't have to worry about buying the wrong disc from the Retailers (newegg.com, outpost.com, bestbuy, fry's, etc.)
P.S.
Yes there's nothing wrong with the OEM version. OEM version ----> only the product itself WITHOUT any product retail box, user guide, accessories, etc. Retail version ----> has everything like product itself (same exact product like the OEM version), user guide, etc.

ex_reven

Yeah ive never seen Dell OEMs available unless you actually buy the computer system off Dell.
Technically you cant buy OEM without buying a piece of hardware as it is specifically for system builders use. So when I buy OEM's id typically buy something like another Hard drive to RAID or soemthing.

Yeah ive never seen Dell OEMs available unless you actually buy the computer system off Dell.
Technically you cant buy OEM without buying a piece of hardware as it is specifically for system builders use. So when I buy OEM's id typically buy something like another Hard drive to RAID or soemthing.

well here is one of them :
https://www.pronetcd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=N09-00984-DELL

there were at least 2 others that said dell cd but most are a cut and past job about xp home and they dont describe the cd at all.

the last time i got the dell cd but it was the full reinstall cd not the recovery cd.

the catch was one registration online only and after that you must "phone home" to microsoft and ask for them to give you activation code to register it. big PITA

i will list the sites i bookmarked and let you have a look at what i am seeing.

http://store.purplus.net/miwixphoedfu.html

http://www.ivorcom.com/shopping/third_level.php?product_id=OS100021&category_id=78

http://www.ztechsoftware.com/servlet/the-61/Microsoft-Windows-XP-Home/Detail

http://www.directdeals.com/item-N09-01991-OEM-INTL.aspx

hmmmm..... no responses

is ev1 as confused by these ads as i am?

LonGun

hmmmm..... no responses

is ev1 as confused by these ads as i am?

I just got back on this thread, so give me a min or a min 1/2 to scan through the sites you've listed.

LonGun

I see that they have onsale original/stock MS Windows XP+SP2 software with a legit Key comes in OEM version. And if I decide to buy the software from one of those sites, I'd expect to recieve it as an original/stock Microsoft Windows XP+SP2 disc. And I'll be pissed off when it arrived with:
* another company's name labeled on it (Dell, HP, ...) besides MS
* another company's name on the Setup Installatioin Screen (Dell, HP, ...) besides MS
* Bill's pix (just kidding)
It must have Microsoft legitly labeled on the disc + nothing else but a MS Windows original installation like it's supposed to be (duh)
Don't get confused with Microsoft's Retail-OEM Windows versions and other Computer Manufaturers' edited Windows versions (or it called System Recovery/Restore discs). You should look more into the difference of a stock Microsoft Windows Operating System + SP2 disc (which showed on those websites you've listed) and a Microsoft Windows Operating System + SP2 disc EDITED by a third-party company such as Dell, HP, Sony Vaio, etc. (meaning it not only will install the Windows XP but it will also install those Norton, RealPlayer, AOL, etc.)
Like any other computer manufacturers, Dell do not sale their System Restore Windows Discs to anyone who did not purchase/have a Dell computer. The reason because those Restore discs (which of course can install a full Windows on a its specific model) only cost you around $50; even cheaper on some older model. You've just got to own one of their machines :)
Ok hopefully that answered it.
Secondly, there's also something you should keep in mind within both versions of:
* MS Windows XP Home - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056
* MS Windows XP Home - RETAIL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16837116193
The Retail one costs much more the OEM version because you can install it on more than 1 computer. (and of course in this case it comes with a user guide, better looking box, a future purchase MS discount coupon like mine did.) If you're a system builder and upgrade your mother board once in a while, then you should not buy the OEM version. It's most likely not going to work after you installed new mother board (unless you buy an identical one because the old one became defected.) And if you decide to go for the Retail version, you should be reconsider on going for the Vista Home because the price is almost the same with the XP Home. And XP will become unsupported by MS in about 1-2 years.

thanks to ev1 for their help

i have the info i need to decide

LonGun

:toast: see you around