• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Powercolour r9 380x 4gb is hitting 99 degree celcius while playing PUBG

Micky12345

So I have a powercolor r9 380x 4gb, idle temp is at 40-45, but while playing games such as PUBG the temperature of this graphic card hike up to over 90 celcius where sometimes 99 celcius with fan running at 100%. I have 3 case fans and 2 extra fans which I added on. The temperature still reaches 99 celcius. I open up this Gpu to check is there thermal paste, obviously it has when I bought it. I have seen many people with this particular card with a 70 celcius with full load. Need help with the temps please or anything I can do with.

System specification:
CPU: Intel i5 6500 (with stock cooler)
GPU: Powercolor R9 380X 4gb
RAM: Kingston 8gb 2133mhz
PSU: Aerokool 650W

Space Lynx

Astronaut
try a re-paste maybe with some better thermal paste? i know liquid metal conductonaut lowers temps by 7 celsius on most graphics cards over standard tim according to gamers nexus youtube channel. its dangerous to work with though... maybe just get some arctic mx-4 safer paste and do a repaste/dusting and retry temps

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
try a re-paste maybe with some better thermal paste? i know liquid metal conductonaut lowers temps by 7 celsius on most graphics cards over standard tim according to gamers nexus youtube channel. its dangerous to work with though... maybe just get some arctic mx-4 safer paste and do a repaste/dusting and retry temps
I'd avoid suggesting liquid metal thermal pastes to people who don't seem like they have the experience to re-paste on their own initiative. Given how difficult it is to handle, and the risk of killing hardware (especially given the massive amount of surface-mount components immediately surrounding the 380X die!), I'd advise against it. That card has to be 2-3 years old, chances are it could do with a re-pasting anyhow, and most OEMs use cheap thermal paste that dries out over time. Thermal Grizzly Cryonaut or Gelid GC-Extreme should be perfectly fine, not to mention entirely safe no matter how it's applied.

@Micky12345 : from your post, it sounds like you removed the cooler and reattached it without replacing the thermal paste? Generally, that's a bad idea, especially on a card where the paste is old enough to have dried out. Then again, it doesn't sound like it could have gotten much worse from what you're saying, but that definitely doesn't help. Get some rubbing alcohol and paper towels, carefully rub off the paste from the die (avoid touching the tiny components around it as much as possible - they can snap off and brick your card), add a blob (amount really doesn't matter for GPUs, just don't use too little - rice grain size is fine) of one of the pastes mentioned above, and you should be fine. Of course, while you're at it, remove any and all dust from your heatsink and fans. If the heatsink is especially dusty, free it from the shroud and fans and rinse it in warm water and let dry. Fans are best cleaned with a damp cloth or something similar that's easier to get into the tiny nooks and crannies around the blades.

If this doesn't fix the issue, chances are something in your GPU is degrading (has it been OC'd?), and it's likely on the verge of failure. That's rare, though, as GPU failures tend to be rather immediate.

System Name Karl Arsch v. u. z. Abgewischt
Processor i5 3770K @5GHz delided
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Professional
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 240
Memory 4x 4GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 970
Storage Samsung 830 - 512GB; 2x 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung T240 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Shinobie XL
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Cougar G600
Mouse Logitech G500
Keyboard CMStorm Ultimate QuickFire (CherryMX Brown)
Software Win7 Pro 64bit
@Micky12345 : Of course, while you're at it, remove any and all dust from your heatsink and fans. If the heatsink is especially dusty, free it from the shroud and fans and rinse it in warm water and let dry. Fans are best cleaned with a damp cloth or something similar that's easier to get into the tiny nooks and crannies around the blades.

Or just raid your moms supplies for one of these:

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Or just raid your moms supplies for one of these:

Never thought of that, but that looks pretty ideal for cleaning out fans. Given that my PC is currently in pieces and won't go back together until my water pump RMA goes through, I might just get one of those while I'm waiting :p

Micky12345

I'd avoid suggesting liquid metal thermal pastes to people who don't seem like they have the experience to re-paste on their own initiative. Given how difficult it is to handle, and the risk of killing hardware (especially given the massive amount of surface-mount components immediately surrounding the 380X die!), I'd advise against it. That card has to be 2-3 years old, chances are it could do with a re-pasting anyhow, and most OEMs use cheap thermal paste that dries out over time. Thermal Grizzly Cryonaut or Gelid GC-Extreme should be perfectly fine, not to mention entirely safe no matter how it's applied.

@Micky12345 : from your post, it sounds like you removed the cooler and reattached it without replacing the thermal paste? Generally, that's a bad idea, especially on a card where the paste is old enough to have dried out. Then again, it doesn't sound like it could have gotten much worse from what you're saying, but that definitely doesn't help. Get some rubbing alcohol and paper towels, carefully rub off the paste from the die (avoid touching the tiny components around it as much as possible - they can snap off and brick your card), add a blob (amount really doesn't matter for GPUs, just don't use too little - rice grain size is fine) of one of the pastes mentioned above, and you should be fine. Of course, while you're at it, remove any and all dust from your heatsink and fans. If the heatsink is especially dusty, free it from the shroud and fans and rinse it in warm water and let dry. Fans are best cleaned with a damp cloth or something similar that's easier to get into the tiny nooks and crannies around the blades.

If this doesn't fix the issue, chances are something in your GPU is degrading (has it been OC'd?), and it's likely on the verge of failure. That's rare, though, as GPU failures tend to be rather immediate.

Thanks for the reply and appreciate it. Noted with thanks. I will try to re-apply the thermal paste, tbh when I first bought this GPU it is already this hot, but after seeing it reaching 99 celcius it scare me for a bit. I will update after I re-apply. Thanks