• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problems after flashing r9 270...

Vermezovich

I am writing this from a phone because I made my PC not functional... It is my bad but I am here to seek for help.
I have R9 270 2G Sapphire Dual-X version and I wanted to flash it to 270x Bios. I was on Windows 10 and I used AtiWinFlash and Custom Bios made specifically for this GPU.
Program succeed and it rebooted. Reboot took much longer and the screen was whole time black (which made me think I bricked my GPU) but after like about 2 minutes windows 10 welcome screen just popped out and sent me to desktop. I wasn’t familiar to GPU flashing and I thought it might be normal for such things. I kept using my “new” graphic card, I tested it and etc. It worked without problems, but everytime I restarted PC it always took lot longer and without any windows booting animation.
As I had really bad experience on win10 with my really old Hard Disk I decided to go back to Windows7 just 1 day after BIOS flash.
I made bootable stick and when I wanted to enter BIOS i realized I couldn’t because screen was whole time black and unusable. I realized if I wanted to enter BIOS blindly PC would just freeze.. It was weird. I sticked my GPU out and kept using integrated graphic to reinstall windows. I have i5 2500 if it matters. I installed Windows real quick and when I booted in desktop for the first time, I didn’t install any driver or anything, I just turned it off and plugged mu gpu right back in. Windows would boot but my GPU couldn’t send signal to monitor, monitor didn’t even get any signals from GPU. Coolers were spinning but GPU was acting dead. I sticked GPU out again and set that default graphic output in bios is my integrated gpu. I sticked my r9 270 back in and succesfuly booted into windows with dedicated gpu spinning. Unluckily, nor any software or device manager recognized my r9 270.
Then I got the dumbiest idea of the day, I went in BIOS again and tried disabling integrated gpu completely. It was to try if GPU would start then, it wouldn’t. And now I am stuck without Dedicated and integrated GPU.
Are there any ways I can save this graphic card. I can borrow a GPU from a cousin if you have any solutions for me. I really don’t want to admit that this card died... I don’t think that this BIOS could kill it because all it seemed it did was increase core clock from 945 to 1070... PS: I have BIOS backup.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Reset bios by CMOS and this will probably use the igpu. If not, take the 270 out of the case and try again. Then, setup the BIOS again and put the 270 back into the case.

Vermezovich

Reset bios by CMOS and this will probably use the igpu. If not, take the 270 out of the case and try again. Then, setup the BIOS again and put the 270 back into the case.
I am sorry, but can you tell me step by step how to do such thing. I don’t really understand what CMOS is and how is it done. Maybe I didn’t note up there, but, I can’t even do anything now with the PC because I have no screen... I disabled igp

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
I am sorry, but can you tell me step by step how to do such thing. I don’t really understand what CMOS is and how is it done. Maybe I didn’t note up there, but, I can’t even do anything now with the PC because I have no screen... I disabled igp
You'll have to have another GPU to get display off of then, or plop this card in a different desktop that has display output already.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
CMOS jumper is on your motherboard. So you need to open the side case panel in order to reach it. Unplug the PSU first. Check your motherboard manual to find where this is. Use the jumper to move it to the reset position for 10 secs and move it back to the previous placement. Boot the PC and if you don't get signal on your monitor, shut it down again. Pull the 270 off the case and start the pc again. Normally you should get signal from the igpu in order to setup properly the BIOS.

Forgot to mention that you need to plug the monitor to the motherboard connector to get signal from the igpu (just in case you forget to do that change)

A video about CMOS reset below

Last edited:
System Name Budget AMD System
Processor Threadripper 1900X @ 4.1Ghz (100x41 @ 1.3250V)
Motherboard Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7
Cooling EKWB X399 Monoblock
Memory 4x8GB GSkill TridentZ RGB 14-14-14-32 CR1 @ 3266
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX Vega₆⁴ Liquid @ 1,800Mhz Core, 1025Mhz HBM2
Storage 1x ADATA SX8200 NVMe, 1x Segate 2.5" FireCuda 2TB SATA, 1x 500GB HGST SATA
Display(s) Vizio 22" 1080p 60hz TV (Samsung Panel)
Case Corsair 570X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X Series 850W KM3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Stick the GPU in, enable onboard graphics and plug in to that. Boot into windows and see if the OS sees the card. Least that would be my first step to try.

Seems like something on the card's BIOS doesn't like the mainboard. I know some of the newer cards have 2 different BIOS's (Legacy and UEFI) and you may have flashed a EUFI only BIOS on the card. (I have seen it happen before) The only reason I mention that is you said it was a custom BIOS.

Vermezovich

CMOS jumper is on your motherboard. So you need to open the side case panel in order to reach it. Unplug the PSU first. Check your motherboard manual to find where this is. Use the jumper to move it to the reset position for 10 secs and move it back to the previous placement. Boot the PC and if you don't get signal on your monitor, shut it down again. Pull the 270 off the case and start the pc again. Normally you should get signal from the igpu in order to setup properly the BIOS.

Forgot to mention that you need to plug the monitor to the motherboard connector to get signal from the igpu (just in case you forget to do that change)

A video about CMOS reset below

Okay, thanks. I successfully reseted CMOS. What can I do now about my graphic card?

Stick the GPU in, enable onboard graphics and plug in to that. Boot into windows and see if the OS sees the card. Least that would be my first step to try.

Seems like something on the card's BIOS doesn't like the mainboard. I know some of the newer cards have 2 different BIOS's (Legacy and UEFI) and you may have flashed a EUFI only BIOS on the card. (I have seen it happen before) The only reason I mention that is you said it was a custom BIOS.
I have already done that before i fked up with disabling igpu. I can try now again after cmos restart...

When I try to boot windows with gpu plugged in and igpu as main gpu, screen skips part where I can enter BIOS and freezes on windows 7 loading animation, BUT, windows boots and makes sound. I can even turn it off with alt f4 + enter... Dafq?

D

Deleted member 163934

You probably have flashed an UEFI only vbios on your gpu. And if this is the case than the following probably happens: you boot the pc, you get no display at all (gpu bios is uefi only, mb wants a legacy (or hybrid) bios), windows is happy loading, if you have gpu drivers installed after the gpu drivers are loaded you will get image on your screen, if you don't have drivers installed (win 7 doesn't automaticaly install a real driver for your gpu, win 10 might do) then you will get no image after windows has loaded.

As soon as the driver (a real one not the generic vga one that win 7 uses) is loaded it no longer matters if the gpu vbios was UEFI or not.

As soon as you noticed the issue (no image until windows was loaded) you should had flashed back your gpu vbios to the original one.
Now you need to start the pc from the igpu, hopefully that doesn't disable the gpu in the pci-e slot for some weird reasons, get into windows like that, hopefully the R9 270 is detected, and install the drivers for it or just reflash it to the original vbios (i'd do this last one). If it doesn't see the R9 270 blow some air in the pci-e slot and clean the R9 270 contacts (the ones that get inserted in the pci-e slot) with isopropyl alcohol. Stuff in the pci-e slot or dirt on the contacts can make it not get detected (it can even hang the entire boot process, crash the os, make the os not allocate resources for it, generic idea is that it will do weird things (I like Linux because lspci -vvv + dmesg will probably tell me what device is missbehaving if I even manage to boot) ).

L.E.: I have an old Asus M2N board with PCI-E rev. 1.0 16x, this particular motherboard boots fast with gpu like 7300gt, hd 4350, hd 4650, boot really slow with gt 710, hd 5670 and doesn't boot at all with hd 7750 (this last one has a pure legacy bios so it's not the gpu vbios type).

Last edited by a moderator:

Vermezovich

You probably have flashed an UEFI only vbios on your gpu. And if this is the case than the following probably happens: you boot the pc, you get no display at all (gpu bios is uefi only, mb wants a legacy (or hybrid) bios), windows is happy loading, if you have gpu drivers installed after the gpu drivers are loaded you will get image on your screen, if you don't have drivers installed (win 7 doesn't automaticaly install a real driver for your gpu, win 10 might do) than you will get no image after windows has loaded.

As soon as the driver (a real one not the generic vga one that win 7 uses) it no longer matters if the gpu vbios was UEFI or not.
If I understood right, you suggest me to install a latest AMD driver for r9 270 graphic card right? Can I do it if my gpu isn't recognized by PC or even plugged in? ;/

D

Deleted member 163934

If I understood right, you suggest me to install a latest AMD driver for r9 270 graphic card right? Can I do it if my gpu isn't recognized by PC or even plugged in? ;/

Do you have a friend where you can test the r9 270? Someone that has an UEFI motherboard? if yes test the r9 270 in his/her pc. If it works there just reflash it to your original bios with the gpu in your friend pc (you normaly use an ups when you flash something to prevent a power loss during the flashing process that can easily make your gpu not usable). Hopefully you made a backup of the original bios.

Before you test the r9 in someone else pc look at it for any damage signs. If you see any damage signs no point testing it to someone else.
You flashed it with the vbios for another gpu, that can easily mean higher voltages and higher clocks that can push it beyond it's limits and well kill it in the end...

If for some reasons it doesn't want to detect it, clean the pci-e slot by blowing some air in it and clean the r9 contacts with isopropyl alcohol and put it back again.

Vermezovich

Do you have a friend where you can test the r9 270? Someone that has an UEFI motherboard? if yes test the r9 270 in his/her pc. If it works there just reflash it to your original bios with the gpu in your friend pc (you normaly use an ups when you flash something to prevent a power loss during the flashing process that can easily make your gpu not usable). Hopefully you made a backup of the original bios.

Before you test the r9 in someone else pc look at it for any damage signs. If you see any damage signs no point testing it to someone else.
You flashed it with the vbios for another gpu, that can easily mean higher voltages and higher clocks that can push it beyond it's limits and well kill it in the end...

If for some reasons it doesn't want to detect it, clean the pci-e slot by blowing some air in it and clean the r9 contacts with isopropyl alcohol and put it back again.
Hey man, I got good news ... GPU-z and device manager are recognizing it... I am so happy atm but I still can't do anything with it.
http://prntscr.com/jmu5r1
In bios when GPU settings were set to AUTO, I couldn't get into windows at all, it would freeze, PGB or smth like that gave me some purple screen and IGFX worked to get me into system...

http://prntscr.com/jmu67z GPUZ- r9 270 screenshot
http://prntscr.com/jmu6ch GPUZ - Integrated GPU ss
http://prntscr.com/jmu6hu Device Manager screenshot
Should I try installing AMD driver? :/

D

Deleted member 163934

Install the AMD driver.

Anyway I still think you need to flash the r9 270 with the original bios. Without having any video output during most of the boot process reinstalling Windows/Linux is gonna be really painfull.

When you are flashing the vbios of an gpu with another vbios you should always make a backup of the original bios (just in case the new bios is not that great). You should also have the pc + display connected to an UPS to prevent a power loss in the middle of the flashing process (can go as bad as impossible to reflash it from windows/dos). When you flash the vbios on an gpu with the vbios that is for another model be prepared for problems (like none of the output showing signal (the new bios things your physical hdmi is dvi, dvi is dp and dp is hdmi and you get no signal on all of them but the gpu is actually working), crashes as soon you start the game (wrong voltages/clocks) and others...).

Last edited by a moderator:

Vermezovich

Yeah I flashed it back immediatelly with original BIOS and it booted properly. I am installing AMD druver currently. So far it is installing without any problems.

D

Deleted member 163934

With the original BIOS and the amd drivers installed you should be able to no longer have to use the igpu.

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
Glad to hear, lesson learned tho... Don't flash gpu bios unless u are sure it's gonna work else u may end up with a paperweight

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Hard way of learning lessons tho...
Which is why most people here suggest to not even try in the first place unless they are familiar with the process

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
If a card really needs a bios flash, it should be sent to gpu manufacturer imo because they can do it under your warranty, whereas do it yourself and most times Ur screwed if it messes up and u can't repair it on your own

Vermezovich

If a card really needs a bios flash, it should be sent to gpu manufacturer imo because they can do it under your warranty, whereas do it yourself and most times Ur screwed if it messes up and u can't repair it on your own
You got the point sir!

KINGPAPABEST

hey Vermezovich. i have the self problem like you with the r9 270 i flash new bios and nothing work now ^^ :(

please please can you upload the orginal vbios for me ??? i dont found it. you my last hope :(

^^ greez chris

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
hey Vermezovich. i have the self problem like you with the r9 270 i flash new bios and nothing work now ^^ :(

please please can you upload the orginal vbios for me ??? i dont found it. you my last hope :(

^^ greez chris

I can help you but I need some info.

Please take pictures of all of the white stickers on the back of the card, sometimes they are found on the side of the card heatsink near the pcie edge connector.

You will need to remove the heatsink and take a picture of 1 ram chip on the card, make sure picture is clear and legible

System Name Fortress
Processor Ryzen 5 3600@4.6ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus x570 Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 with Arctic P12 and P14 PWM CO fans
Memory Patriot Steel Viper DDR4 4400mhz CL19@3733mhz CL14
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 2070 super Strix OC
Storage Samsung EVO+ 970 1TB/Micron 1300 1TB
Display(s) Acer XV272UP
Case Silverstone FT02 Fortress with 4x140 Arctic P14 PWM PST CO and 2x120 Arctic P12 PWM
Audio Device(s) USB DAC/AMP Audinst HUD-mx1
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Gold Plus 750W
Mouse Razer Viper
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinium RBG, Cherry MX Brown
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores Ryzen 3600: - CB20 - Single 542/Multi 4276 - Geekbench 5 - single 1423 / multi 8908