• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU turning off while gaming

Mr Shea

Hello, hopefully someone can help me with my issue. I have been having an issue where my computer's GPU turns off when im playing games, such as CSGO. I cant make it through a match without it happening once. The GPU turns off and flashes white but the rest of the computer stays on. the cpu stays one and spinning, all the fans stay on and spinning, and the mobo stays on and lit up with leds. I have to force restart to get it working again. I was told it was the GPU overheating even though my censers said it wasnt, so i got 3 more 120mm fans. The problem continued... Then i was told it was my GPU failing so i got myself a brand new RX580... The problem continued. Then i was told my PSU is faulty and should upgrade it. Now i have a 850W Rosewill Glacier PSU, and the problem continues... Soon i will have 2 full computers before fixing this problem... I now have a program called HWINFO 64 that suppose to help me understand but i cant find a program that can read the saved documents saying what was what, it just comes out all scribbled and matrix like. The most confusing part to me is if i benchmark my computer with cinebench or furmark or heaven or valley or others that pound both the cpu and gpu at the same time, i cant get it to black screen like when i game.
I shall list my computer specs below and hope someone can help me figure out my issues.

PSU - Rosewill 850w
GPU - MSI RX 580
Ram - 16gig ram (2x8)
MOBO - msi gaming pro
CPU - Ryzen 1200 @3.8 (soon will be a ryzen 5 1600 cause why the hell not)
Fans- 6 120mm (air goes in the front and out the back and top)

System Name Dell Vostro 5630 | PHaS3-XXI
Processor Intel Core i7 1360P | AMD Ryzen 7 5700X PBO
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
Cooling Corsair H105 (AM4 Retention yay!)
Memory 16GB Quad Channel LPDDR5 4800 | Crucial 64GB DDR4 Pro 3200 C16
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2050 | Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 Stock Cooler @ XT BIOS
Storage Kioxia 512GB NVMe |Crucial MX200 SSD + Samsung 980 1TB + 870QVO 1TB + 12TB HDDs
Display(s) Dell Laptop Display 1920x1200 | Dell UltraSharp U2719D
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Logitech G403 | Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores @_@
Hi :)

So you've replaced the GPU completely and still have the issue. You only give CSGO as an example, do other games exhibit this behavior?

I assume you've applied no overclock to the card, since you replaced it. Have you installed the latest AMD drivers? If not, start there.

If that doesn't help, use DDU to completely remove the AMD drivers, and reinstall them fresh again.

If that doesn't help, try set your CPU back down to stock (as well as anything else you've OCd, e.g. RAM).

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
..... I now have a program called HWINFO 64 that suppose to help me understand but i cant find a program that can read the saved documents saying what was what, it just comes out all scribbled and matrix like.
There's no need to save any document from that program, just install, and open, it displays all the info you require on the screen, if you want to save a copy, screen shot it.
Post a copy here for members to look at, also GPU-z sensor tabs might help.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
A friend was forced to change his dying PSU when he had many shutdowns while playing heavy games on his Nitro RX480. He never had any problem like that since then.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
I would look at the logs from windows event viewer, specifically the ones with bright red circle with an X. If you dont know how to troubleshoot, now is good time to start learning. Help us help you by posting logs and screenshots of logs.

Throwing parts at the problem only damages the savings account. :eek:

Mr Shea

I would look at the logs from windows event viewer, specifically the ones with bright red circle with an X. If you dont know how to troubleshoot, now is good time to start learning. Help us help you by posting logs and screenshots of logs.

Throwing parts at the problem only damages the savings account. :eek:
I have checked the windows event viewer and the only red with x (critical) i see is one with the source of "kernel Power".
The crash or sort of crash happens with most of the games i play, fallout and even non demanding ones like polybridge :)
When im playing i can check my temps and neither the cpu nor the gpu get higher that 60c.
I reinstalled the drivers again and still same problem.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
A friend was forced to change his dying PSU when he had many shutdowns while playing heavy games on his Nitro RX480
The OP said he already replaced the PSU. That said, every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

If you have access to a multimeter, and know how to use it safely, you might check your mains voltage to make sure it is not excessive. If too high, it can result in stability issues.

The tap on the transformer failed in my neighborhood last year and was sending all the homes on this block 292VAC resulting in 146VAC at our outlets! :eek: It was confusing at first because all my UPS were beeping and supplying battery power to my systems, but all my house lights were still on. :confused: Then I checked the display panel on my UPS and saw the input voltage was 146VAC. Not good. Starting to panic, I verified this with my multimeter. It should have been around ~120VAC.

I quickly called the power company, told them I was a tech, and they would be paying for all the neighborhood's replacement air conditioners and refrigerators and whatever else fries if they don't come fix this quick! No exaggeration - they were at my house within 15 minutes after I called. :D They were able to bring it down to 126VAC that night by moving to a different tap temporarily. Within a week we got a new transformer and we are now at ~120VAC. :)

What that is certainly a rare event, it could happen so worth checking.

The most confusing part to me is if i benchmark my computer with cinebench or furmark or heaven or valley or others that pound both the cpu and gpu at the same time, i cant get it to black screen like when i game.
You only mentioned CSGO. Does it happen with other games and apps?
and the mobo stays on and lit up with leds.
Check your motherboard to see what the pattern of lit LEDs mean. And I agree to stop overclocking - until this is resolved.

You might try running with just 1 stick of RAM and see what happens. If no problem, swap sticks.

Processor Intel I9 7940X
Motherboard Asus Strix Rog Gaming E X299
Cooling Xigmatek LOKI SD963 double-Fan
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2666Mhz
Video Card(s) 1)RX 6900XT BIOSTAR 16Gb***2)MATROX M9120LP
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) Realtek/Creative T20 Speakers
Power Supply F S P Hyper S 700W
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
Keyboard Func FUNC-KB-460/Mechanical Keyboard
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3189,Cinebench R20=3791.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
Hmmm.....seeing that you already tried the usual suspect like PSU&GPU there might be a possibility that is something wrong with your mobo or the actual PCI-E slot if you have another slot you can take out your GPU and put her in that other slot and see if the problem persist.....

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2Ă—BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Put rig on another circuit, reset the mobo bios too

Mr Shea

The OP said he already replaced the PSU. That said, every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

If you have access to a multimeter, and know how to use it safely, you might check your mains voltage to make sure it is not excessive. If too high, it can result in stability issues.

The tap on the transformer failed in my neighborhood last year and was sending all the homes on this block 292VAC resulting in 146VAC at our outlets! :eek: It was confusing at first because all my UPS were beeping and supplying battery power to my systems, but all my house lights were still on. :confused: Then I checked the display panel on my UPS and saw the input voltage was 146VAC. Not good. Starting to panic, I verified this with my multimeter. It should have been around ~120VAC.

I quickly called the power company, told them I was a tech, and they would be paying for all the neighborhood's replacement air conditioners and refrigerators and whatever else fries if they don't come fix this quick! No exaggeration - they were at my house within 15 minutes after I called. :D They were able to bring it down to 126VAC that night by moving to a different tap temporarily. Within a week we got a new transformer and we are now at ~120VAC. :)

What that is certainly a rare event, it could happen so worth checking.

You only mentioned CSGO. Does it happen with other games and apps?
Check your motherboard to see what the pattern of lit LEDs mean. And I agree to stop overclocking - until this is resolved.

You might try running with just 1 stick of RAM and see what happens. If no problem, swap sticks.
As it happens i work at home depot! so i shall pick up one of those testers to find out the answer! and its happens in most games i play. so fallout series, the forest, gta 5, and yes, polybridge :) the next time it happens i will check the mobo for a post code, but i do not think it will show one because it has only showed post codes in the past when it turns off. When black screen thing happens, the mobo stays on and working, so do the cpu and hard drives keep making noise.
and FINE!! ill take of my over clocks :( thanks MOM! ruin my fun! ;)

Well if ya already have HWiNFO here's what I would be looking at ....

1. Start up HWiNFO, "sensors only"..... move to right side of screen
2. Run RoG Real Bench (benchmark takes about 8 minutes)
3. When completed, Record max temps and min / max voltages on each core as well as the 3 voltage rails (3.3, 5 and 12v)

4. Let system chill for 10 minutes and rest all mon / max settings in HWiNFO
5. Close RoG RB ... open Furmark and run the flying donut until the temp curve flattens
6. Record max temps in Firmark as well as min / max on each rail.

For the rails ...

..... anything > 5% fails to meet standards an the PSU shud be replaced under warranty
..... anything < 2.0 or even 2.5% should be good for moderate overclocking
..... anything > 1% should be your target for serious overlcocking.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
I have checked the windows event viewer and the only red with x (critical) i see is one with the source of "kernel Power".
The crash or sort of crash happens with most of the games i play, fallout and even non demanding ones like polybridge :)
When im playing i can check my temps and neither the cpu nor the gpu get higher that 60c.
I reinstalled the drivers again and still same problem.
As I said, post logs and pics if needed. Saying just "kernel Power" is not enough to go on. What else does it say?

But, if you prefer we can continue to speculate without any hard knowledge, so lets stick with crappy answers for you and just say its the PSU again! There solved.
We all know thats not exactly the solution here. Be a little more forthcoming with actual information, not all of us want to be armchair quarterbacks.

System Name Enslaver :)
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D14 with LED fans, Case: 2 front in - 1 rear out
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 4070Ti OC
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Display(s) LG CX OLED 65"
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh C Performance
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard ASUS Strix Tactic Pro
Maybe a bad hdmi cable? i had lots of problems with hdmi cables and 4K resolution. Most likely were not shielded enough for my EM mess at my computer desk.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
and FINE!! ill take of my over clocks
It's just while testing. You might find just returning all your voltages/clocks to the defaults resolves all your stability issues.

Mr Shea

It's just while testing. You might find just returning all your voltages/clocks to the defaults resolves all your stability issues.
OK so a few days with no overclocked cpu or ram and the problem no longer occurs. Does this mean i just needed a little more voltage for the cpu or something?
I have a ryzen 5 1600 coming after the weekend so i am looking forward to some overclocking fun. Any pointers or hints that could help me in my journey?
Thanks everyone for helping me with my issue, it is now solved :) great teamwork dudes or dudettes :)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2Ă—BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
OK so a few days with no overclocked cpu or ram and the problem no longer occurs. Does this mean i just needed a little more voltage for the cpu or something?
I have a ryzen 5 1600 coming after the weekend so i am looking forward to some overclocking fun. Any pointers or hints that could help me in my journey?
Thanks everyone for helping me with my issue, it is now solved :) great teamwork dudes or dudettes :)

Yes, keep your room temperatures cool, keep good airflow in the case, do dustout monthly too.

System Name Dell Vostro 5630 | PHaS3-XXI
Processor Intel Core i7 1360P | AMD Ryzen 7 5700X PBO
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
Cooling Corsair H105 (AM4 Retention yay!)
Memory 16GB Quad Channel LPDDR5 4800 | Crucial 64GB DDR4 Pro 3200 C16
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2050 | Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 Stock Cooler @ XT BIOS
Storage Kioxia 512GB NVMe |Crucial MX200 SSD + Samsung 980 1TB + 870QVO 1TB + 12TB HDDs
Display(s) Dell Laptop Display 1920x1200 | Dell UltraSharp U2719D
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Logitech G403 | Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Benchmark Scores @_@
OK so a few days with no overclocked cpu or ram and the problem no longer occurs.

I'm glad that what I suggested in the first reply eventually resolved the issue :)

As @eidairaman1 says, keeps temps down, keep it clean. Use this experience to understand instability in overclocks.

Good luck with the new CPU.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Does this mean i just needed a little more voltage for the cpu or something?
It likely means you were providing the wrong voltage for optimal performance.

Overclocking it not a set and forget thing. It is a balance between voltage, temperature and stability. And remember, overclocking does NOT automatically mean a better gaming experience.

System Name Gaming PC / I7 XEON
Processor I7 4790K @stock / XEON W3680 @ stock
Motherboard Asus Z97 MAXIMUS VII FORMULA / GIGABYTE X58 UD7
Cooling X61 Kraken / X61 Kraken
Memory 32gb Vengeance 2133 Mhz / 24b Corsair XMS3 1600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Gainward GLH 1080 / MSI Gaming X Radeon RX480 8 GB
Storage Samsung EVO 850 500gb ,3 tb seagate, 2 samsung 1tb in raid 0 / Kingdian 240 gb, megaraid SAS 9341-8
Display(s) 2 BENQ 27" GL2706PQ / Dell UP2716D LCD Monitor 27 "
Case Corsair Graphite Series 780T / Corsair Obsidian 750 D
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD / ON BOARD
Power Supply Sapphire Pure 950w / Corsair RMI 750w
Mouse Steelseries Sesnsei / Steelseries Sensei raw
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma / Razer BlackWidow Chroma
Software Windows 1064bit PRO / Windows 1064bit PRO
i had kernel power problem with w10 version before the 1803 with my fx8350 after the update the pc went stable again. The pc randomly shut down for no reason at all.

Sufran

I assume you've applied no overclock to the card, since you replaced it. Have you installed the latest AMD drivers? If not, start there.

If that doesn't help, use DDU to completely remove the AMD drivers, and reinstall them fresh again.

If that doesn't help, try set your CPU back down to stock (as well as anything else you've OCd, e.g. RAM).

I'm glad that what I suggested in the first reply eventually resolved the issue :)

As @eidairaman1 says, keeps temps down, keep it clean. Use this experience to understand instability in overclocks.

Good luck with the new CPU.
Mate, I tried all of this. I also tried re installing the old gpu drivers. And still the problem occurs. Still my display goes off whenever I play games but other than that, the pc is still on. I also may add that when my display goes off, when i try ko hit numlock button the led lights won't go on or off.
Cable i used is DVI-D single link. My monitor ACER KA220HQ only supports VGA and DVI. I don't have the option to use HDMI.
I also updated my windows (1903)
I also updated my motherboard bios.
Is my power supply a problem?

Ryzen 3 2200g (no oc)
2x4gb ram 3200mz (but i only runs at 2400mhz)
Gigabyte Ab350m motherboard
Gigabyte Rx 580 4gb (no oc)
Rave 500w 80 plus

Last edited by a moderator:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Mate, I tried all of this. I also tried re installing the old gpu drivers. And still the problem occurs. Still my display goes off whenever I play games but other than that, the pc is still on. I also may add that when my display goes off, when i try ko hit numlock button the led lights won't go on or off.
Cable i used is DVI-D single link. My monitor ACER KA220HQ only supports VGA and DVI. I don't have the option to use HDMI.
I also updated my windows (1903)
I also updated my motherboard bios.
Is my power supply a problem?

Ryzen 3 2200g (no oc)
2x4gb ram 3200mz (but i only runs at 2400mhz)
Gigabyte Ab350m motherboard
Gigabyte Rx 580 4gb (no oc)
Rave 500w 80 plus
Did it do it on non 1903 Windows ?

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Is Sufran hijacking the OP's thread?

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
mate, what r u talking? enlighten me. I'm just asking here
I think he is suggesting that you start your own thread with your own issues rather than jumping in on already solved issues that may be different to yours.