• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Transmitting video over offline wireless router?

System Name Shark's Build
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO
Cooling Noctua NH-C14 heatsink core with swapped Phanteks PH-F140HP PWM
Memory G.SKILL Aegis (2 * 8GB) DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX 3060Ti 8GB
Display(s) Tri-Monitor setup 1x144hz 2x60hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 250D Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova NEX750B 750W ATX Power Supply 80+ Bronze
Hello,

I'm trying to do what I feel is a basic offline task. I had it working already at home but that was with having a direct internet connection from my modem, then unplugging the modem and it continuing to work with all devices plugged into my router.

Mind you I couldn't access the internet while this was working offline(exactly what I want)

I am using an Asus RT-AC87U Wireless AC router. It has an amazing signal for most places I want to use it in.

I've tried disabling NAT, WAN. That didn't work and WAN has since been re-enabled. I am able to pick up a signal on my devices and they can ping each other. They just can't seem to transmit video like they were at home when I had my modem connected for a second then disconnected after for the setup re initialization.

I had it running at my home setup consistently for at least 3+ hours which provides all the time I need for what I'm doing. I do still have temporary wifi access away from home so I could perhaps wireless bridge for a second online, then pull the plug again.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated! Hope someone can help me! =]

One thing I noticed when I had it working is I didn't have a yellow exclamation point in the network icon in Windows 10. I tried following this guide here for setting up an AdHoc network in windows 10 with no luck.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows/0caa92d8-e02f-4e7f-aa5c-0abf10ed2039

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
I think you just need to create a home group first then set it up on the home group.

Audio Device(s) On-Board
I think you just need to create a home group first then set it up on the home group.
When you say that, do you mean exactly how it sounds?

Just PC + Laptop create a homegroup?

Do you know what doing that exactly does on the networking end? Is there any specific settings on the router I should be taking into consideration?

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
When you say that, do you mean exactly how it sounds?

Just PC + Laptop create a homegroup?

Do you know what doing that exactly does on the networking end?
it opens the option up on windows 10 to be able to share (transfer files) between the computers with in the home group.

Audio Device(s) On-Board
it opens the option up on windows 10 to be able to share (transfer files) between the computers with in the home group.

If I am using Windows 10 1803, should triggering just a regular network folder share do the trick for initiating all other networked resources??

Thanks DRDNA

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Homegroup is history.

HomeGroup removed from Windows 10

Do note a router connects (or isolates) 2 networks. In your case, the Internet and your local network. So if you disconnect the cable going out to your ISP, your local network should still work just fine. You just won't have Internet access.

Audio Device(s) On-Board
Homegroup is history.

HomeGroup removed from Windows 10

Do note a router connects (or isolates) 2 networks. In your case, the Internet and your local network. So if you disconnect the cable going out to your ISP, your local network should still work just fine. You just won't have Internet access.
But I'm not using internet though right?

I'm trying to remain completely offline, from the start of setup to the end of using the offline network. No contact with modem/ISP. I just don't get why the software isn't working when it did when I had temp ISP access in my router WAN port enabled, then unplugged and it was fine for as long as I tried it for 3+hours.

Is it that I have to trick my computer/router system to think that I'm on a WAN connection to make this software work? Some sort of hack?

As of right now I can see my software picking up the audio but not the video. I think the video wants an internet connection. I NEED A HACK :X

Last edited:
Does the software needs to be activated? Some software needs an active connection to a server to start. It doesn't seem like a network issue at all because unplugging your internet doesn't change the behavior of local machine nor the behavior of the router.

Audio Device(s) On-Board
Does the software needs to be activated? Some software needs an active connection to a server to start. It doesn't seem like a network issue at all because unplugging your internet doesn't change the behavior of local machine nor the behavior of the router.

I think I have it working, but I have to access the wireless router system this venue has then unplug from it still. It's a very strange initiation process but I think I'm close to having the video stream working.

The video is noticeably more laggier than usual too. I'm not sure what the heck is going on.

Processor 2500K @ 4.5GHz 1.28V
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600 9-9-9-24 1T
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 470
Storage Crucial m4 128GB + Seagate RAID 1 (1TB x 2)
Display(s) Dell 22" 1680x1050 nothing special
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W
Software Windows 7 64bit Pro
It sounds like altcapwn was onto the right idea. Perhaps try a different media player as it seems like the one you are using has to "phone home" at its startup.

I think I have it working, but I have to access the wireless router system this venue has then unplug from it still. It's a very strange initiation process but I think I'm close to having the video stream working.

The video is noticeably more laggier than usual too. I'm not sure what the heck is going on.

I don't know the use of your streaming devices, but I would very much recommend to use a cable instead because it needs quite a lot of bandwidth to stream something and streaming over wifi usually creates lag and even compression artifact.

If your wifi card stream something + download stuff or whatever, you'll surely have some issues with the lagging problem. Distance and Wifi quality is a factor too.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
But I'm not using internet though right?
Right. And Homegroup was local (not going through the Internet) either. Microsoft determined that the Homegroup feature was just adding an unnecessary layer of confusion for many people who simply wanted to setup sharing over their LAN ("local" area network). Most users were not using it, so they have removed it from W10.

Audio Device(s) On-Board
Right. And Homegroup was local (not going through the Internet) either. Microsoft determined that the Homegroup feature was just adding an unnecessary layer of confusion for many people who simply wanted to setup sharing over their LAN ("local" area network). Most users were not using it, so they have removed it from W10.

Yes - I knew that.

I just think at this point that it's the software that's struggling to connect and it just simply requires a WAN link present for some reason during the "boot-up" stage of the software/protocol of video sharing/streaming it uses. I think we are just going the direct wire route, as I feel more comfortable using it in a small-scale convention environment at the moment until we buy more quality gear for doing what I'm trying to do.

The venue I'm at currently has locked-down VLANs and remotely trying to co-exist within their network is a pain via guest wifi. If I had a direct VLAN assigned via ethernet, this would all be different I believe.

I really love digital video processing and the idea of sending it through offline channels, it's just a lot of software/WiFI solutions I've attempted to use thus far is finicky at best and very challenging to boot-up swiftly, in the case of a client asking for such a feature in a pinch.

As always this community rocks, and I can't thank you all enough for helping me, considering I don't have the best history in offering a helping hand in the community. I'm hoping to fix that over the summer and hopefully help the community back! =]

Cheers and take care.

Mark7805 =]

PS. I'll still be troubleshooting at home tonight to see if I can figure anything out.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Mark7805

Just a Suggestion on usable Software for your needs
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en-GB.html
VLC media player (commonly known as VLC) is a free and open-source, portable, cross-platform media player and streaming media server developed by the VideoLAN project. VLC is available for desktop operating systems and mobile platforms, such as Android, iOS, Tizen, Windows 10 Mobile and Windows Phone. VLC is also available on digital distribution platforms such as Apple's App Store, Google Play and Microsoft Store.

VLC supports many audio and video compression methods and file formats, including DVD-Video, video CD and streaming protocols. It is able to stream media over computer networks and to transcode multimedia files

Mark7805

Just a Suggestion on usable Software for your needs
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en-GB.html
VLC media player (commonly known as VLC) is a free and open-source, portable, cross-platform media player and streaming media server developed by the VideoLAN project. VLC is available for desktop operating systems and mobile platforms, such as Android, iOS, Tizen, Windows 10 Mobile and Windows Phone. VLC is also available on digital distribution platforms such as Apple's App Store, Google Play and Microsoft Store.

VLC supports many audio and video compression methods and file formats, including DVD-Video, video CD and streaming protocols. It is able to stream media over computer networks and to transcode multimedia files

The open-sourceness will surely make it work on a LAN network without internet connection.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The open-sourceness will surely make it work on a LAN network without internet connection.
Ummm, how? That is, what does being open source have to do with it? All that really means is the code has been released (it is not protected IP - intellectual property) and is now free and does not fall under copyright laws. It just means it is no longer proprietary and others can use it and modify it. Open source does not, in any way, ensure compatibility.

Open source is great, but it is not always better.

https://opensource.com/business/13/10/seven-reasons-closed-better-than-open-source
https://www.business-software.com/blog/the-pros-and-cons-of-open-source-software/

Ummm, how? That is, what does being open source have to do with it? All that really means is the code has been released (it is not protected IP - intellectual property) and is now free and does not fall under copyright laws. It just means it is no longer proprietary and others can use it and modify it. Open source does not, in any way, ensure compatibility.

Open source is great, but it is not always better.

https://opensource.com/business/13/10/seven-reasons-closed-better-than-open-source
https://www.business-software.com/blog/the-pros-and-cons-of-open-source-software/

I meant that there's no license checking to an external server :).

As we thought it could be the issue why the software didn't want to start without internet connection.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I meant that there's no license checking to an external server
Okay, but note the fact it is open source still really has no bearing on whether it will work with a LAN only. In many cases, open source software still requires a license that often establishes some terms of use - they just tend to be very liberal terms.

Thanks for clarifying, however. :)
As we thought it could be the issue why the software didn't want to start without internet connection.
Yeah, that is confusing. :confused: