• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Experimental immune treatment saves dying breast cancer patient

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
This is a little late in posting but better late than never:
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...treatment-saves-breast-cancer-patient-n879841

TL;DR: they biopsied the tumors, sequenced the tumor DNA, found white cells that target that DNA, cultured them into an army, and injected them into her. The white cells killed the cancer over a year and made it impossible to return; however, only she (15%) survived the treatment.

It's a beginning. Too bad it requires sequencing with targeted approach. Which means it'll be expensive and time consuming to even start doing it.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
If they happen upon a route that results in 90%+ success rate (versus the abysmal 15% now), I imagine they could find ways to automate the process.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
If they happen upon a route that results in 90%+ success rate (versus the abysmal 15% now), I imagine they could find ways to automate the process.

The biggest problem with this experiment (because it's definitely not a treatment) is that with a sample size of one, there's no way to correlate cause and effect positively. In fact, the correlation here is a negative one: 15% of people who participated survived and recovered, while 85% died! Since cancer survival rates in general are better than 15%, this would, to an uninformed observer, seem to suggest that this "treatment" is more fatal than cancer. Yes, I am being facetious, but unless it's possible to isolate WHY this worked for one person and failed for others, we haven't really got any closer to eradicating cancer.

Don't get me wrong, genetically-targeted cancer therapy does appear to be the most promising route of treatment so far and should definitely be pursued further, but my fear is that cancer's massive genetic variations, and rapid rate of mutation, are going to be enough to render any gene-targeting impotent the majority of the time (I'm guessing this is what happened to the patients who didn't survive). Nanobots, on the other hand, could be programmed to detect and destroy cells that behave in a cancerous manner, which means genetic variation would be irrelevant and any cancer could be cured (potentially even before you're aware you were suffering from it).

Regardless, congratulations to Judy Perkins and Doctor Steven Rosenberg. Any life saved from cancer is a victory for science and humankind.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Cancer is one of the most horrible diseases out there and I've lost several very good friends to it now. :mad: Glad this has worked for her. :rockout:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
The biggest problem with this experiment (because it's definitely not a treatment) is that with a sample size of one, there's no way to correlate cause and effect positively. In fact, the correlation here is a negative one: 15% of people who participated survived and recovered, while 85% died! Since cancer survival rates in general are better than 15%, this would, to an uninformed observer, seem to suggest that this "treatment" is more fatal than cancer. Yes, I am being facetious, but unless it's possible to isolate WHY this worked for one person and failed for others, we haven't really got any closer to eradicating cancer.
I think there's only one case where the treatment definitely killed the person. In all other cases (and the survivor's case too), the cancer was terminal. It's possible that, in the majority of cases, treatment was given too late--cancer already won the war.

Don't get me wrong, genetically-targeted cancer therapy does appear to be the most promising route of treatment so far and should definitely be pursued further, but my fear is that cancer's massive genetic variations, and rapid rate of mutation, are going to be enough to render any gene-targeting impotent the majority of the time (I'm guessing this is what happened to the patients who didn't survive).
That's what this treatment does though: they find white cells that search and destroy the mutations that resulted in cancer. I think the problem stems from selecting the correct white cells. Some of those white cells may be targeting a symptom rather than the bad DNA. Injecting more of them won't accomplish anything. In the survivor's case, they targeted four DNA sequences and it worked.

Nanobots, on the other hand, could be programmed to detect and destroy cells that behave in a cancerous manner, which means genetic variation would be irrelevant and any cancer could be cured (potentially even before you're aware you were suffering from it).
Nanobots are science fiction for the foreseeable future.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
It's a beginning. Too bad it requires sequencing with targeted approach. Which means it'll be expensive and time consuming to even start doing it.

No, illumina based NGS are a lot cheaper now. The difficult part is the analysis of the sequenced data. Usually takes several postdoc plus PhD students to take a case of this scale. Sad thing is there are very few cancer biologists that are also good at large scale DNA sequencing analysis. With the current benefits of getting a PhD in these fields i see little progress in the near future. Basically a lot of molecular genetists PhD candidates are treated as slave labor. Extremely low salary for an insane amount of work. Only people who truly love it would do it.

Reactions: hat
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I think there's only one case where the treatment definitely killed the person. In all other cases (and the survivor's case too), the cancer was terminal. It's possible that, in the majority of cases, treatment was given too late--cancer already won the war.

That does make sense... something this experimental would never be approved for use in the normal population, so they haven't had a chance to test it on people with less advanced cancer. But now they have a positive result, hopefully they will be able to expedite the process to get it to more people - patients will definitely ask about it.

That's what this treatment does though: they find white cells that search and destroy the mutations that resulted in cancer. I think the problem stems from selecting the correct white cells. Some of those white cells may be targeting a symptom rather than the bad DNA. Injecting more of them won't accomplish anything. In the survivor's case, they targeted four DNA sequences and it worked.

Isn't that the thing that kills most people, though? The fact that the cancer cells mutate faster than the body's defences can adapt to it? If that's the case then adding more white blood cells, that aren't aware of the newest mutations, is a futile effort.

Nanobots are science fiction for the foreseeable future.

I can dream and hope, though. Dream and hope that one day more money will be spent on medicine than on war.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Since cancer survival rates in general are better than 15%

In general. People taking part in this study are already terminal unless I misread. They had a nearly 100% chance of dying.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
That does make sense... something this experimental would never be approved for use in the normal population, so they haven't had a chance to test it on people with less advanced cancer. But now they have a positive result, hopefully they will be able to expedite the process to get it to more people - patients will definitely ask about it.
If they were able to get 90% success rate among those with terminal cancer then they'd probably use this therapy in the first stages of aggressive cancer. All they really need is one tumor to biopsy. People wouldn't need chemo anymore so they remain healthy throughout the cancer treatment. Better outcomes all around...if they can attain that kind of success rate.

Isn't that the thing that kills most people, though? The fact that the cancer cells mutate faster than the body's defences can adapt to it? If that's the case then adding more white blood cells, that aren't aware of the newest mutations, is a futile effort.
The body fails to recognize the threat because it's not foreign. The few cells that do recognize it as a threat and try to do something about it, the rest of the lymphatic system is "meh" to the fact they're doing their job. Ehm:
foreign object -> white cell identifies it -> lymphatic system produces an army of white cells -> white cells murder foreign object
non-malignant cellular damage -> white cell identifies it -> white cell murders it -> white cell tries to find another (no massive assault)
malignant cellular damage -> white cell identifies -> white cell murders -> the cancerous cells reproduce faster than the white cells can murder it -> cancer becomes terminal

What these scientists are doing is what the body fails to do because the body doesn't realize the severity of the mutation. Chemo can fail because it kills the white cells that acknowledge the mutation, the cancerous tissue, and the healthy tissue around it.

And you're right: if they mass produced the wrong white cells, the cancer will continue to propagate unimpeded.

Reactions: hat