• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ethernet against the elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Okay so my roomie gave me the go to where I can run a cable under the house and into my room so I can just wire my room up off my router or even much better wireless. Anywho the cable will be outside and has to be able to take on the elements of the evil outdoors so here I am asking for help on picking out a cable.

Now three people on the forum have been to my place of computer hell and anyone that knows Western Washington can get an idea of what the weather is. I'm guessing I'll need a 50ft cable to reach (unless a 25 would work, haven't measured) and I'm clueless on brands.

Tl;dr what's a good 50ft shielded ethernet cable.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
You want some shielded/direct burial cable, which will be waterproof as-long-as you don't compromise the jacket of the cable during the pull.

I'd recommend buying a box, that way you can run the length you need, terminate the ends, and have extra if you ever need to do any other runs or create your own patch cables in the future.

You could just buy a cable too: https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Waterproof-Ethernet-Direct-Shielded/dp/B002L7M4ZY

The caveat is that a rare occasion the termination might be screwed, or the end is damaged during the run (say a spot where the cable fits, but the tip doesn't), or the cable is damaged during the pull to the point that section needs removed and retipped at that spot. There's also the odds that the run is fine and this is a good way for you to go.

You could also see what it'd cost to have an electrician do the run for you, some in my area are actually pretty affordable for stuff like this. Especially if the run is a pain in the ass, or may require some experience and forethought for a successful run that lasts long-term.

:toast:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Anything for outdoor use, however you may consider using what is called drop wire which can be burried, it is twisted pairs, some come in 5 pairs. If you do it right you would have drop wire from 1 exterior wall to another going to a jack on each end so you can plug in your rj45 lines. I've used drop wire for ethernet and it works just like cat 5/6, just heavier guage of conductor used.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
You want some shielded/direct burial cable, which will be waterproof as-long-as you don't compromise the jacket of the cable during the pull.

I'd recommend buying a box, that way you can run the length you need, terminate the ends, and have extra if you ever need to do any other runs or create your own patch cables in the future.

You could just buy a cable too: https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Waterproof-Ethernet-Direct-Shielded/dp/B002L7M4ZY

The caveat is that a rare occasion the termination might be screwed, or the end is damaged during the run (say a spot where the cable fits, but the tip doesn't), or the cable is damaged during the pull to the point that section needs removed and retipped at that spot. There's also the odds that the run is fine and this is a good way for you to go.

You could also see what it'd cost to have an electrician do the run for you, some in my area are actually pretty affordable for stuff like this. Especially if the run is a pain in the ass, or may require some experience and forethought for a successful run that lasts long-term.

:toast:
When my store was being remodeled, the network guys gave me boxes of cat5e in boxes like that, and I got my own crimper and ends and taught myself to make my own cables. Only two out of like, 8 cables didn't work in the end. Fun stuffs.

I'm thinking of getting the pre-made cable since the cable is going in and out of the windows (I keep my window open even in winter because yay cold air) and it's just easier in the end. However I'll keep those links saved for when I can take on custom cables again. :toast:

Anything for outdoor use, however you may consider using what is called drop wire which can be burried, it is twisted pairs, some come in 5 pairs. If you do it right you would have drop wire from 1 exterior wall to another going to a jack on each end so you can plug in your rj45 lines. I've used drop wire for ethernet and it works just like cat 5/6, just heavier guage of conductor used.
So those are the more industrial wires? I can see how those would work. Issue would be pricing though.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
So those are the more industrial wires? I can see how those would work. Issue would be pricing though.
You get what you pay for. You can risk going cheap and getting standard cabling but, if water gets in there or if interference is too high then you'll need to buy it anyways after you've done all the work that you'll have to redo again. This is one of those things where if you cheap out, you'll probably regret it. It's like buying a crappy power supply, sure, it might work but, it might cost you more in the long run if it decides to fry some hardware. Also, instead of guessing as to the length, I would actually measure it to make sure that 50 feet is enough.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Only two out of like, 8 cables didn't work in the end. Fun stuffs.
Highly recommend getting a tester. They can tell you in a matter of seconds if all 8 wires (+ground if applicable) are transmitting.

I've had one instance where all the wires were correctly in place but somehow one of the contacts actually created a short (went into the jacket, hit copper, left the jacket, entered another jacket, and hit copper). Tester showed it easily, looked closely at the ends, saw the wire pulled out of alignment, cut it off, replaced it, and all was good. Dunno how much damage a cable like that could do (especially if PoE) but it never came to that thanks to the tester.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I've seen people cheap out and try to use normal CAT5e/6 cabling outside. It will work at first. However, the elements eventually break down the insulation on a standard cable, it starts to get hard and brittle, and start to crack, and then bad things start to happen.

Get direct burial/outdoor cable for sure.

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
You get what you pay for.
but, if water gets in there or if interference is too high
I agree with the get what you pay for part, but if "under" the house (unless prone to flooding), I don't see how water will be an issue. Same with interference. There are typically more sources of interference inside the home than out (microwave ovens, adjacent power and data cables, TVs and other electronic devices). That said, you do want to make sure you don't run this under-house cable parallel to other cables running under the house too.

The bigger problem with exterior cables are UV damage from the sun (but again, probably not a problem being under the house) and rodentia and insect damage.

Another option, besides external grade Ethernet cable is running the cable inside flexible conduit. Besides minimizing damage from critters, using conduit makes it much easier to replace the cable should you need to in the future as you can much more easily just pull it through without having to craw under the house again. Just make sure both ends of the conduit appear inside the "dry" home and there are no breaks in between.

I have a friend who lives in Mississippi where very high humidity is a problem. To avoid condensation from collecting in the conduit during wide swings in temperature, he has the conduit terminating in a box, and a simple 5VDC box fan mounted to the box, constantly blowing air through the conduit. It takes very little CFM to keep the conduit dry inside. The fan is powered by a small USB power adapter. Something to think about.

If you forgo conduit and go with exterior grade Ethernet cable, "invest" in top quality. The insulation will like better resist hungry critters, and be less resistant to kinks and bends.

@Kursah - do you have personal experience with those specific crimpers? I ask because years back, I wasted a bunch of money by failing to "invest" in quality crimpers from the start. My first pair were budget crimpers like those. After 3 or 4 cables, I could only get a good crimp 1/2 the time. I started going through a bunch of RJ-11 and RJ-45 connectors. So I stepped up and spent about $25 on what I thought was a better crimper. But after a few cables, it too started failing to give a proper crimp. So I gave up and finally invested in a Jensen crimper. I have probably made over a 100 cables (200+ crimps) since and have never got a bad crimp. So while those $45 crimpers ended up costing me nearly $100 (due to the 2 crappy crimpers and spent connectors I threw away), they have been well worth it in terms of no more wasted connectors and cable, as well as reduced blood pressure and a halt in hair line recession!

That said, a cable tester is highly recommended for anyone who builds their own cables. A proper crimp is useless if you accidentally swapped Blue with White Blue on one end. Fortunately, you don't have to spend a fortune on a decent tester. You do still need nimble fingers and good lighting.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
I agree with the get what you pay for part, but if "under" the house (unless prone to flooding), I don't see how water will be an issue. Same with interference. There are typically more sources of interference inside the home than out (microwave ovens, adjacent power and data cables, TVs and other electronic devices). That said, you do want to make sure you don't run this under-house cable parallel to other cables running under the house too.
I agree but, not all of it is going to be under the house, as stated by the OP:
Anywho the cable will be outside and has to be able to take on the elements of the evil outdoors so here I am asking for help on picking out a cable.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
If any is exposed to the sun and weather, then all precautions should be taken. It needs to also be secured so it does not flap around in the wind.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Hoooooly okay this got more relies than I thought.

So since it's going under the house I was thinking of getting those little things you screw in to hold it up.

Since it's UNDER the house I'm sure no one would mind and there would be much less issue with water. The only two parts of the cable above ground are the ones going in and out the windows so that's where the direct sunlight would play effect.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Since it's UNDER the house I'm sure no one would mind and there would be much less issue with water. The only two parts of the cable above ground are the ones going in and out the windows so that's where the direct sunlight would play effect.
...and that part outside is most likely the part that will fail. The cable under the house will do you no good if the small section outside degrades.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It would be much better to come up through the floor boards. You could much more easily seal and insulate those holes from the weather and insects.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
It would be much better to come up through the floor boards. You could much more easily seal and insulate those holes from the weather and insects.
It's a rental. Putting holes in might not be an option, unless the owner wanted the house to be updated.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Any reason why you wouldn't consider putting an access point in the basement? I know that you mentioned in the past that the WiFi doesn't really reach your part of the house, so why not have an AP really close to your room? My laptop will speedtest 220MBit down when I'm about 15-20ft away from the AP with a single wall between the laptop and the AP. It literally minimizes any need for modifying the house or running cables outside, using a PoE-powered AP would also mean just one wire too.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Hoooooly okay this got more relies than I thought.

So since it's going under the house I was thinking of getting those little things you screw in to hold it up.

That looks like a ground clamp. You don't want that. If you're looking for something similar, then you're looking for lil plastic ones you nail in place like this:

Can usually buy 100 of those for a few bucks at hardware stores.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Any reason why you wouldn't consider putting an access point in the basement? I know that you mentioned in the past that the WiFi doesn't really reach your part of the house, so why not have an AP really close to your room? My laptop will speedtest 220MBit down when I'm about 15-20ft away from the AP with a single wall between the laptop and the AP. It literally minimizes any need for modifying the house or running cables outside, using a PoE-powered AP would also mean just one wire too.
No place between the two points to put it. I'd have to maybe stick it in the laundry room if there was an outlet in there.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
No place between the two points to put it. I'd have to maybe stick it in the laundry room if there was an outlet in there.

You could consider using a UniFi AP that includes a PoE injector, that way all you have to do is run the Ethernet wherever you'd like the AP to be mounted/installed, data and power from one cable. The PoE injector could stay next to the router and feed off the same surge strip/power source. There are other AP's and PoE injector options, I just prefer UniFi, especially the AC Pro for solid value and performance.

+1 to what Ford shared, those work great and are super cheap to get a bunch of, great way to help keep your cables out of harm's way.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
You only need power by the router or where ever you decide to inject the power over PoE (Power over Ethernet.) When you get to the AP, you only need one wire, the Ethernet cable, because it will supply both power and data. That's why I suggested it because it makes it feasible to put things in places without power but, with an Ethernet cable.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Could you clarify how you intend to pull the cable (unless you go with the PoE AP idea Aquinus mentioned, which frankly is the most sensible option)? I assume by "under the house" you mean through the basement? And will it originate in the basement or will you start on the first floor, go down to the basement and then out again? And you speak about open windows. I thought you lived in a cold climate? If yes, keeping windows open year round is nothing but a waste of energy.

But again, the PoE AP idea is probably the way to go in this case, unless you hire someone to make a proper job out of it (IE install outlets in the apartments). AFAIK PoE has gotten pretty affordable.

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
If any is exposed to the sun and weather, then all precautions should be taken. It needs to also be secured so it does not flap around in the wind.

Was just going to say something about that but you beat me to it although I'd like to add if it's going outside and you have alot of adverse weather or it's in a sunny exposed place then running it through conduit would be better than just using cable tacks to hang it off the wall

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
That looks like a ground clamp. You don't want that. If you're looking for something similar, then you're looking for lil plastic ones you nail in place like this:

Can usually buy 100 of those for a few bucks at hardware stores.

It kind of looks like a grounding clamp, but it isn't. It is really just a more robust version of what you posted. The screw type is generally used for attaching cables on the outside of the building.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Could you clarify how you intend to pull the cable (unless you go with the PoE AP idea Aquinus mentioned, which frankly is the most sensible option)? I assume by "under the house" you mean through the basement? And will it originate in the basement or will you start on the first floor, go down to the basement and then out again? And you speak about open windows. I thought you lived in a cold climate? If yes, keeping windows open year round is nothing but a waste of energy.

But again, the PoE AP idea is probably the way to go in this case, unless you hire someone to make a proper job out of it (IE install outlets in the apartments). AFAIK PoE has gotten pretty affordable.
Trailer home.

You only need power by the router or where ever you decide to inject the power over PoE (Power over Ethernet.) When you get to the AP, you only need one wire, the Ethernet cable, because it will supply both power and data. That's why I suggested it because it makes it feasible to put things in places without power but, with an Ethernet cable.
I remember hearing about PoE before. I'll look into it. My concern is if doing that still won't get the 60mbps+ that wired will give.

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
You can use a bit of UV resistant pipe insulation to protect any section that may be exposed to the sun- should be able to get 1/2" EPDM foam insulation for a few $ at a local hardware store.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
You can use a bit of UV resistant pipe insulation to protect any section that may be exposed to the sun- should be able to get 1/2" EPDM foam insulation for a few $ at a local hardware store.
So like a wrap-around?

Status
Not open for further replies.