• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Maybe I should re-read the OP :p

Don't. It wasn't even that accurate to start with and that was more than ten years ago. A lot of things has happened since then, a lot of the OEMs previously thought of as "bad" are now anything from quite decent to downright good (unless of course you are one of those PSU elitists in which case you are wrong about things).

I'm like you, ain't no electrical engineer, but from my own daily experience with the rig in my system specs, that corsair AX760 is couple months short of 5 yrs old. Been used everyday since new, although it's only platinum grade & performs mostly 40-60% daily, its still performs like the day it was bought. All this in a regular suburban home with no A/C in a climate like SE Australia.
Not plugging for corsair, just saying it seems higher grade PSU seem to have better reliability as a bonus.

That's really nothing special. You can expect that kind of performance from any but the crappiest PSUs.

I have never found PSU Listings useful. Classifications are all to often made whereby a review of one model series (say 650 watter) gets a good review and the "rating" is shared across all units in the series, even when the PSUs are not made on the same platform or even same OEM. I know it's unpopular in a social media world where reading more than 3 sentences is considered '" bother" but if I don't see 5 pages, I won't even bother to read a review. In addition, as is all too often the case with other components (i.e monitors).... there's a production run from which samples go out to reviewers and then there's a component change which makes manufacturing cheaper.

When budget is a priority, the Seasonic S12 / M12 is hard to beat as they are often as low as $35 - $50. I'll use these so grandma can see poics of her grand kids, Momma can read her emails and keep facebook updated and office worker can take work home and any decent unit that can meet ATX spec is fine w/ me. For enthusiast / gaming boxes, it's time to move up ... with moderate overclocking, I want to see coltage variations under 2.0 -2.5 % and good noise levels. For serious overclocking want to see < 1.0% voltage variation and top notch noise levels.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Don't. It wasn't even that accurate to start with and that was more than ten years ago. A lot of things has happened since then, a lot of the OEMs previously thought of as "bad" are now anything from quite decent to downright good (unless of course you are one of those PSU elitists in which case you are wrong about things).
Haha, yeah, I see that reading over it. I realized immediately I was thinking of another guide on this site.

Oddly enough, takes me back to a time when a lot of people were still pushing for the absolute maximum headroom you could get, to the point where they were using a third of the power available :p All in the name of performance.

There are advantages to be had ... I calculate the max theoretical wattage required and then multiply by 1.25 for stock or moderate over clocking and 1.5 for serious OCing. Why oversize ?

a) PSUs reach peak efficiency at 50%... which means more heat is produced and more electric is consumed per watt of power above 50%

620 watt PSU producing 600 watts of power will pull 690 watts from the wall producing 90 watts of heat
1200 watt PSU producing 600 watts of power will pull 667 watts from the wall producing 67 watts of heat

b) The cooling system for a 1200 watt PSU will barely be used at 600 watts meaning the fans if on will be at low speed and noise will be low. The 620, it will be audible.

c) The ability of the PSU to accurately control voltages diminishes the closest you get to rated power. The less accurately the PSU can match the voltages called for by MoBo, chipset, GPU, the less stable the overclock.

d) The ability of the PSU to minimize electrical noise diminishes the closest you get to rated power. The more noise, the less stable the overclock.

BTW, not suggesting you double necessary power... just picked 600 and 1200 cause it made the math easy :)

System Name Indis the Fair (cursed edition)
Processor 11900k 5.1/4.9 undervolted.
Motherboard MSI Z590 Unify-X
Cooling Heatkiller VI Pro, VPP755 V.3, XSPC TX360 slim radiator, 3xA12x25, 4x Arctic P14 case fans
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 4000 16-19-19 (b-die@3600 14-14-14 1.45v)
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid (T30-120 fan)
Storage 970EVO 1TB, 660p 1TB, WD Blue 3D 1TB, Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2546K, Dell P2417H
Case FD Define 7
Audio Device(s) DT770 Pro, Topping A50, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Røde VXLR+, Modmic 5
Power Supply Seasonic 860w Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper Mini, Odin Infinity mousepad
Keyboard GMMK Fullsize v2 (Boba U4Ts)
Software Win10 x64/Win7 x64/Ubuntu
Jesus, the amount of things wrong in the OP...

Super flower not recommended at all? They are one of the highest rated OEMs these days, and having looked through their older stuff, they were never particularly crap either.

Corsair=seasonic?

I really get tired of the whole "buy a corsair psu they are the best" thing, because they aren't the best and never really were. Only the overpriced AX and old HX series were really top class units... (Seasonic platinum series was basically always cheaper than the corsair AX branded models)

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Jesus, the amount of things wrong in the OP...

Super flower not recommended at all? They are one of the highest rated OEMs these days, and having looked through their older stuff, they were never particularly crap either.

Corsair=seasonic?

I really get tired of the whole "buy a corsair psu they are the best" thing, because they aren't the best and never really were. Only the overpriced AX and old HX series were really top class units... (Seasonic platinum series was basically always cheaper than the corsair AX branded models)

Yeah, the OP should really be updated (the font is horrible too), or not be a sticky anymore. It's of no help to anyone.

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
System Name Daily Driver/Part Time
Processor Core i7-13700K/Ryzen R5-7600
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX/Asrock B650 Pro RS Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT AIO/Deep Cool LS-520 White
Memory Patriot 2x16GB DDR5-7200/XPG Lancer Blade 2X16GB DDR-5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX-4080 Super/Sapphire Radeon RX-7800XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 2TB/KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 NVMe/Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW
Case Corsair 5000d AirFlow/Asus AP201 White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine D1 DAC/Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1K Watt/Seagotep 750W
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Adata XPG Summoner
Software Win11 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores Xbox Live Gamertag=jondonken
OK folks we get the idea, the OP has not been updated and now it is no longer sticky'd. Instead of necroing and complaining, why not just start a whole new thread with the most current info available? Leave this thread be as I will request for it to be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.