• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ECS LIVA Z2 Mini-PC

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
ECS looks to impress with the LIVA Z2, a silent, power-efficient, and semi-upgradeable successor to the LIVA Z. Packing a host of new outputs and features, such as HDMI 2.0 for 4K 60 Hz playback, the LIVA Z2 offers enough performance to make it a compelling entry level offering for those wanting a HTPC or simple office system.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Just like the common Dr. office PC.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
It looks ok-ish (how much life can you get from those 32GB eMMC?), but after you add a SSD and an OS you may be better off with a cheap laptop instead.
As an HTPC, you can install Linux/OpenELEC and that would be a cheap solution.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
It looks ok-ish (how much life can you get from those 32GB eMMC?), but after you add a SSD and an OS you may be better off with a cheap laptop instead.
As an HTPC, you can install Linux/OpenELEC and that would be a cheap solution.
Like i said in the review 64 GB eMMC should have been standard. The increase from 32GB or 64GB is just about $15. So $240 MSRP for a 64 GB equipped model would have been a nicer overall product. But it is what it is. At least here you can get away with SATA storage. Previous designs limited you to a specific M.2 form factor. That said 64 GB options should be available my sample just didn't happen to include it.

Last edited:
Like i said in the review 64 GB eMMC should have been standard.
Then how can it be a "fantastic system" or a "great value"?

A fantastic system doesn't get three red flags (lack of Windows 10, lack of adequate RAM, lack of adequate storage capacity), let alone one. The same goes for a great value.

Instead of rating based on a different system (one with 64 GB, for instance), you have to rate on what you actually have. That is the system, not some other one.

System Name Portable Gamer
Processor Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CPU / Noctua NH-L12 GPU / ARCTIC Accelero S1 Plus
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
Video Card(s) EVGA NVIDIA GTX 960 SSC
Storage ADATA SP550 480GB SSD
Display(s) ASUS 23" LCD
Case SilverStone Sugo Series SG05BB-LITE
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply SILVERSTONE ST45SF 450W
Mouse Logitech G500
Keyboard CMStorm Trigger Z
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
According to the ECS LIVA Z2 website it is supposed to have GPIO pins. The sample you reviewed does not. Any idea if the GPIO pins will be on the shipping product?

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix

A fantastic system doesn't get three red flags (lack of Windows 10, lack of adequate RAM, lack of adequate storage capacity), let alone one. The same goes for a great value.

Instead of rating based on a different system (one with 64 GB, for instance), you have to rate on what you actually have. That is the system, not some other one.

32GB is not ideal however the fact it has a Standard 2.5 Inch drive bay means at least storage upgrades are extremely cheap. Functionality wise the system is a great value. The Quadcore N5000 proves more than adequate and while 4GB of memory is also not ideal it was still enough for day to day tasks. As an enthusiast I would have liked to see ECS make those changes. Extra storage and memory means multi-tasking and packrats won't encounter issues later on. Then again considering the market where this will likely be used is likely digital signage, HTPC etc the optional upgrades i considered a negative are likely to be minor problems. As such I rated the system based on my experience with it not my "wish list" of changes which would make it a better product. Then again just about any computer would be better with more, faster, storage and ram.

That said, what would have been nice to see, doesn't necessarily mean the experience was bad. For office work, youtube, media playback etc the 4GB of memory and 32GB storage was fine as a jumping off point. Shortcomings that can be improved do not make a product worthless. As for reviewing other version. Considering the 32GB or 64GB of eMMC they base configuration is still available ie N5000 with all same parts just more storage built in. As such performance doesn't change. Then again if you don't like my reviews or how I handle content your free to not read it. There is also the fact again at least memory / storage can be upgraded. In previous designs and other mini-PCs your likely to find soldered on memory and no storage expansion option. On in LIVA Z case rather than a 2.5 Inch bay they included an M.2 but it was limited to 2242 form factor. Eitherway end of the day I plugged it all in pushed the power button and got a stable experience at an extremely low price.

To break it down for you.

The system worked, it didn't thermal throttle or crash, it was stable, it handled tasks as expected considering its tiny footprint and specifications. If a product doesn't fail, and in fact does what it is suppose to do should I fail it anyway based on my pre-conceived notions as to what I want? Or should I remain objective and realize that while again more memory and storage = good and i would have appreciated that, those two thinks lacking did not cause me any real problems.

According to the ECS LIVA Z2 website it is supposed to have GPIO pins. The sample you reviewed does not. Any idea if the GPIO pins will be on the shipping product?

GPIO pins should be available on retail models I will double check with ECS to find out if its limited to select models / regions my unit has the spot for the connector and in fact you could likely solder to it directly but obviously thats not ideal. Eitherway when I hear from ECS i will let you know.

Last edited:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10

It's not as versatile as some extra hardware would have made it. But for the asking $$$ it's a pretty capable little gimmick. Those mini PCs are usually priced at $500 or more, even in barebones configurations.

System Name Portable Gamer
Processor Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CPU / Noctua NH-L12 GPU / ARCTIC Accelero S1 Plus
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
Video Card(s) EVGA NVIDIA GTX 960 SSC
Storage ADATA SP550 480GB SSD
Display(s) ASUS 23" LCD
Case SilverStone Sugo Series SG05BB-LITE
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply SILVERSTONE ST45SF 450W
Mouse Logitech G500
Keyboard CMStorm Trigger Z
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
GPIO pins should be available on retail models I will double check with ECS to find out if its limited to select models / regions my unit has the spot for the connector and in fact you could likely solder to it directly but obviously thats not ideal. Eitherway when I hear from ECS i will let you know.
Thanks

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
too bad it still using ribbon cable, still prefer normal sata cable for long term

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
too bad it still using ribbon cable, still prefer normal sata cable for long term
Keep in mind the SATA ribbon cable also handles power delivery to the drive as well not just data. So you end up with one connector or multiple connectors. Going multi connector = pennies more but add that up over 1000s of units and you get the picture.

GPIO is on the board but the connector is not. Essentially while the space is reserved on the board itself ECS has chosen to limited the inclusion to certain models.

Last edited:

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
Sadly no the top case would not close all the way as such its limited the same as a typical laptop. Seagates large 2.5 inch drives are just way too thick at 15mm vs the more standard 9.5mm thick drives. The LIVA Z2 will support up to 9.5 mm thick

damnit, I'm getting mine for review soon and I was really hoping I could make it fit.

Could I make a bracket and make it fit, or is it just a lost cause because between the panel itself and board there's not enough room?

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
damnit, I'm getting mine for review soon and I was really hoping I could make it fit.

Could I make a bracket and make it fit, or is it just a lost cause because between the panel itself and board there's not enough room?
Its an issue with the panel and the design its hard limited to 9.5 The bottom plate slides off but when everything is in place it sits on the HDD bracket in a way that it improved rigidity of the design. You could possibly modify it maybe? but might be more problematic than its worth. (remove the HDD tray attach the HDD to the connector then use a spacer between board and HDD with double sided tape to secure it but thats kind of a one way solution since removal later would likely destroy the cable unless super careful.

I'm thinking of possibly 3D printing a bracket, but having this unit with one of those HDDs would be quite epic.

It's not as versatile as some extra hardware would have made it. But for the asking $$$ it's a pretty capable little gimmick. Those mini PCs are usually priced at $500 or more, even in barebones configurations.
This doesn't rebut my points. There are two possibilities pertaining to this review:

A) The machine, as configured, is a fantastic system and a great value.
B) The machine, as it could be configured, is a fantastic system and a great value.

The review mixes its messaging between these two things. If, indeed, it is a fantastic system and a great value, the review's language should clearly reflect that. Instead, it places a lot of emphasis on what they machine should be and isn't. Regardless of how good this machine is, the review should be clear about expressing its opinions.

I also think it is an abuse of the voting system to downvote my prior comment.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
...I also think it is an abuse of the voting system to downvote my prior comment.
I downvoted your previous comment because I disagreed with it, that isn't an abuse of the voting system, that's how it works.
Now do you want a pat on the head and a certificate of appreciation for participating, or can you accept people wont always agree with you.