• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Readying a 10-core AM4 Processor to Thwart Core i9-9900K?

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
There comes a point where adding more cores isn't the solution to the problem, because the problem wasn't "not enough cores".
Yes. We needed more cores in the mainstream, but now that we got it we need faster cores.
i7-8700 already beats 2700/X in overall with two fewer cores, and where Ryzen doesn't scale as well as Intel, adding two more cores is not help.

But AMD knows very well that core count sells, and that many reviews have some sort of weighted score. Zen does very well in a few benchmarks but behind Intel in many others. AMD will probably continue to push core count, hoping the good scores in select benchmarks and the hype will keep the sales up.

Hmm I did not realize that Apple, nvidia, etc lots of big names are in line for 7nm production before AMD... that has to mean Nvidia will have 7nm gpu's next year, I am sure they are throwing their big wallet around the TSMC building to make sure AMD is behind them on the production schedule... this does not bode well for AMD, people are already sick of waiting so many years for competitive GPU's, heh.
Apple is using a different variant of the node. I don't know the share of wafers for each vendor on 7nm, but in the past Nvidia has greatly outnumbered AMD.

Nvidia will probably release their first 7nm for the professional market.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
There comes a point where adding more cores isn't the solution to the problem, because the problem wasn't "not enough cores".
Too right, AMD fans have all the hollow "bragging rights" they're going to get in this pointless moar cores sales tactic. They have their useless 24 core Threadrumper to brag on while checking their email, so now they're going to vomit cores all over the mainstream? It's no secret that AMD sales are dropping along with all their prices (in a futile attempt to suck in more people who think with their dicks instead of their brains).

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
No, you don't. Have you ever read anything about how your Ryzen works and looks inside? Aside from benchmarks, obviously. ;-)

All currently available Ryzen and EPYC CPUs are made using the same 4-core CCX.

Yes I have read pretty much everything. I have a Ryzen 1800X. So let me help you out since you are confused.

A single CCX is indeed enough space to fit either 4 cores or a Vega GPU. Each die has 2 CCX that are connected via Infinity fabric for various configuration that top out at either 8 cores/16 threads (Ryzen 7), or 4 cores/8 threads + Vega 11 GCN on the package. A Threadripper chip is built like EPYC which has a total of 4 of the dies = 8 total CCX. 8 x 4 = 32 Cores total such as the EPYC server chips and Threadripper 2990wx.

They have already created lower tier Threadripper chips where 2 of the dies (4 possible CCXs or 16 maximum cores) are dummies. This leaves it with 2 dies, 4 CCXs, 16 maximum cores disabled.

So yes they can create a chip on the AMD Ryzen size for AM4 with two dies, 4 CCXs, 16 cores maximum by dropping the two dummy chips.

My point was while it is possible, the tooling rework, possible massive heat increase are not really worth it to me.

Attachments

• 2990WX vs 2950X v2.jpg
    2990WX vs 2950X v2.jpg
    826.8 KB · Views: 389
System Name Off-Brand PC System
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard X399
Cooling Wraithripper
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Benchmark Scores Less than Intel and Nvidia
Too right, AMD fans have all the hollow "bragging rights" they're going to get in this pointless moar cores sales tactic. They have their useless 24 core Threadrumper to brag on while checking their email, so now they're going to vomit cores all over the mainstream? It's no secret that AMD sales are dropping along with all their prices (in a futile attempt to suck in more people who think with their dicks instead of their brains).
AMD ended their own hypothetical "core wars" with the mess that is 2990WX.
2c705d28caafee5e98f043c6c4f83cc0774e57ddc741d2ccae4b403f41afdc3a.png

A single CCX is indeed enough space to fit either 4 cores or a Vega GPU. Each die has 2 CCX that are connected via Infinity fabric for various configuration that top out at either 8 cores/16 threads (Ryzen 7), or 4 cores/8 threads + Vega 11 GCN on the package. A Threadripper chip is built like EPYC which has a total of 4 of the dies = 8 total CCX. 8 x 4 = 32 Cores total such as the EPYC server chips and Threadripper 2990wx.
I don't see the relevance of everything above. Earlier you said AMD makes 8-core CCX for TR. Now you say it's 4. So?
So yes they can create a chip on the AMD Ryzen size for AM4 with two dies, 4 CCXs, 16 cores maximum by dropping the two dummy chips.
Now this is a different theory. You would like to put 4 CCX into an AM4 package. This seems very unlikely, but I won't say "impossible". Look for a size comparison of AM4 and TR4 packages. AM4 is much shorter ("vertical" dimension).
https://adrenaline.uol.com.br/admin...Z0A2b8y59/amd_ryzen_threadripper_1950x_44.jpg
The dies would literally have to touch each-other.
My point was while it is possible, the tooling rework, possible massive heat increase are not really worth it to me.
Yeah... 200W in a package smaller than Intel's 2066. Unless they make it from the low-voltage "U" cores, but that would be a weird CPU...
I don't think wiring is a big problem. They've already done that with 2990WX (32 cores, but just half the needed RAM wiring).

Processor I9 13900k
Motherboard Asus z690 hero
Cooling Next Kraken X72
Memory 32GB gskill 6000
Video Card(s) xfx 7900xtx black
Storage Intel 900P 480GB/ sabrent rocket 4 plus 4tb
Display(s) Asus PA32DC
Case ASUS TUF GT502
Audio Device(s) Sony TA-ZH1ES & Sony Z1R
Power Supply Corsair 1500i
View attachment 107066

i think it is nvidia driver problem with 32 core CPU and they fixed it but no one made another review eith new driver because 2950x preform much better

Fixed Issues

• [3D games]: Game performance drops in half when moving from 16 core/32 thread CPU to 32 core/64 thread CPU. [2334312]

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
View attachment 107066
Why are you talking about high end workstation chips for gaming? Has anyone said the >16 core TRs are good for gaming? 'Cause they aren't. That doesn't mean they don't have a use - particularly anything involving virtualization, but also various forms of rendering, software compilation, and so on). TR is excellent for what it's made for, but gaming isn't among that. AMD likes to push the gaming+streaming angle, which is somewhat valid, but with that kind of budget you'd be better off getting a secondary streaming PC anyhow, so that's kind of moot. The 18-core X299 Intel chip doesn't exactly game well either...

For the foreseeable future, 8c16t will be plenty for gaming (even 8c8t will likely last for years and years), and we definitely need an increase in per-core performance. Nobody is saying >8c CPUs are the next big thing for gaming. But there's not really any reason not to expect that from 7nm Zen2, is there? Given that AMD has a core count advantage, they know they need to work on IPC and clock speed, and they've said there's plenty of low-hanging fruit to improve the former, while the latter should improve with the new node.

I don't see the relevance of everything above. Earlier you said AMD makes 8-core CCX for TR. Now you say it's 4. So?

Now this is a different theory. You would like to put 4 CCX into an AM4 package. This seems very unlikely, but I won't say "impossible". Look for a size comparison of AM4 and TR4 packages. AM4 is much shorter ("vertical" dimension).
https://adrenaline.uol.com.br/admin...Z0A2b8y59/amd_ryzen_threadripper_1950x_44.jpg

Yeah... 200W in a package smaller than Intel's 2066. Unless they make it from the low-voltage "U" cores, but that would be a weird CPU...
I don't think wiring is a big problem. They've already done that with 2990WX (32 cores, but just half the needed RAM wiring).
The packaging is the main issue here. As you say, the dice would have to touch, the power density would be ridiculous, and you'd end up with a Zeppelin with neither direct memory access nor PCIe connected to it (as both of those would need to be wired to a single die) with all the related latency issues and whatnot.

Then there's the issue of actually getting a second zeppelin to work in that small a package. So in addition to all the traces already connected to the primary die, you'd need an internal IF link embedded into the substrate. That would at the very least require additional layers, which would make the substrate too thick to fit the AM4 platform specs. Your coolers might not fit any more - fun! Anyone who's seen a Threadripper package knows how ridiculously thick the substrate is - and that's with 4x the area.

Then you'd need to update the AM4 platform to suddenly become NUMA aware and essentially transfer every function of Threadripper except the quad memory channels over.

Would this be possible? Sure, probably. Feasible? No. Smart? Don't make me laugh.

Last edited:

It's 8 core per die, 4 per CCX, in an MCM package.

Because who'd buy EPYC then?

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Not really a huge feat, let's be honest.

Maybe not, but you seemed to be worried about it back on page 1 when you mentioned DDR5...

Probably. That makes the whole "upgrade path" argument making even less sense.

Because it was nonsensical before? Users don't like to upgrade a single part without "upgrading" other parts to support it? Anyways... if you are someone who is looking for this upgrade path, I would recommend doing your research before you buy as opposed to just buying a random product and hoping it might get support. I would expect the one who releases a product and promises future support would see increased sales from savvy buyers looking for just that.

We seen motherboards with dual-DIMM support fairly recently (Skylake). BTW: anything similar in the AMD camp? :)

Hmm... there was that whole AM2/AM3 thing...

But, as you said, future AM4 CPU support will depend on mobo. You don't know which one would be updated. Doesn't this make the "upgrade path" argument a bit... poor?

It's also a poor decision to haphazardly walk into Home Depot and buy a drill press when you need a circular saw. I agree it would be better if these things were supported across the board, but they're not, so the one looking to buy would benefit from some research.

But it would be a worse CPU, so maybe you wouldn't be tempted to upgrade at all?
Intel's strategy is based around building very precise products. They make only what addresses current demand - hence, sells well. They control waste, they minimize costs. That's how you make money in this business.

Whiskey Lake is a worse CPU? Than what? Certainly not my aging, locked Sandy chip. I'm not saying AMD is better than Intel here (performance wise) either. The 9600k would likely be a very good chip for me with very high single thread performance and more cores than I need right now, except in the odd game that benefits from >4.

As far as very precise products... yeah, if you can call it that. Everyone makes stuff that addresses demand, that's why 775 had a shitload of different chipsets. You could get a low end crap board with an awful chipset that didn't offer much just as well as you could get a high end x38 board that had more to offer. Lately Intel likes to force motherboard upgrades for no reason. I was surprised to see "counterfeit" socket 2011 boards... with an h61 chipset. Didn't think it was possible for that chipset to work with those CPUs, but lo and behold, they do (even if the board itself is kinda crap).

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.

AMD stock value has gone up from $10/share to $32/share as of writing this. Sales for their CPUs has been on a steady rise since the release of Ryzen to market. They are continuing to push the server side because that is where the real money is thus why EPYC will get Zen2 first. I am not sure what you are confused about as competition is what drives market price. AMD doing well keeps Intel from charging a premium because they are the only ones in a market segment and vise versa.

So once again, this is a bad move and AMD should not persue a 10-core 2800X.

View attachment 107066

I could state the driver issue was fixed or that it runs better in Linux, but the simple truth is this is not what you buy a $1600 chip for. AMD did not release any Threadripper to try and "brute force" gaming performance. I feel sorry for anyone who bought a HEDT chip and spent all that extra money if all they are going to do is game.

Not going to happen.

The best we can expect are some highly binned 2700x CPU's which can reach, and sustain, a 4.5Ghz boost.

Personally, I think AMD should just ignore the 9900K, it will be too expensive for most and won't take away (many) sales from the 2700X, and just carry on getting the mainstream Zen 2 ready for launch in Q1 2019.

If AMD could highly bin to release a 125w chip at say... 4.6GHz+ Boost, 4.2GHz+ base - they could sell that sucker for $350-$400 and completely fend off the i7-9700K (and likely dissuade most from caring about the i9). Anything less than that though and I agree it is a waste of time.

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
If AMD could highly bin to release a 125w chip at say... 4.6GHz+ Boost, 4.2GHz+ base - they could sell that sucker for $350-$400 and completely fend off the i7-9700K (and likely dissuade most from caring about the i9). Anything less than that though and I agree it is a waste of time.
They probably could, but it would be quite limited in terms of availability, not to mention a PR disaster ("MAD returning to their space-heater roots" and so on). They're better off holding off until the next generation. It's not like they're struggling to sell their current chips, after all.

I don't put much stock in the validity of this "leak".

However, just for fun, imagine for a moment:

1. 7nm samples are being tested for Epyc right now.
2. They have run through "quite a few" wafers testing 7nm.
3. The yields are pretty terrible, but they have managed to get some working cores on some dies - the CCX is now 8 cores, meaning 16 cores on a fully working die.
4. They put out "2800X" as a stepping stone to the full Ryzen 3/Zen 2 release using up these not 100% working dies giving anything from 2 to 14 cores (assuming ones with 16 would go to Epyc or an early TR release).

Pure speculation/wishful thinking here of course, but is it possible that there are usable, fully tested 7nm dice with 8 or more cores working available in "reasonable quantities" that could be packaged and sold?

Obviously if they did have such a product and wanted to sell it at a 9900k competitive price they would probably need to have a lot of them available as they would likely go out of stock very quickly.

They could of course make it a "halo product" for this generation and charge extra.

/wishful thinking ;)

Hmmm, interesting idea haha. This actually is a more reasonable hypothesis than highly binned 8-cores imo, and that is because it makes logical sense. Releasing junk yields early, but still better due to being on 7nm, would allow AMD to 100% convince investors that their current stock valuation is justified. They could simply "glue" (lol) two defective 7nm CCX's together and release a 5+5 4.5GHz Zen 2 2800X. 7nm in 2018 while Intel won't have 10nm till 2020... That would look really bad.

However 10 cores only makes sense imo if Zen 2 has 6-core CCX's (So the 2800X is 2 x partially disabled Zen 2 cores).

They probably could, but it would be quite limited in terms of availability, not to mention a PR disaster ("MAD returning to their space-heater roots" and so on). They're better off holding off until the next generation. It's not like they're struggling to sell their current chips, after all.

I am not so sure about that. It would likely meet the gaming performance of the i7-9700K (Go look at IPC tests, in some games Ryzen is ahead of Intel at the same core count and clocks), and frankly anything to steel Intel's thunder at this point could (literally!) pay dividends. Oh, and it would not use more energy than Intel's newest gen of space heaters. I can assure you those 8-cores from Intel will use 200w+ if you clock all cores to 5GHz, and 5GHz will be required to beat a 4.5GHz+ Ryzen in gaming.

AMD is no longer a $15 stock, they are worth $32 - and that is because the perception is that AMD is in full control of the market. Heck on Newegg the 2700X is advertised as "Tomshardware's 2018 best Overall Gaming Chip of the year." I wouldn't want to lose that if I could avoid it. Even if it needs to be priced at $400, it would crush the 9900K in value and availability; and sandwich the 9700K in-between two better choices. But remember that this might be a pipe dream, and it might not be worth it if Ryzen 3 is ahead of schedule.

It's 8 core per die, 4 per CCX, in an MCM package
Yeah. Keep defending a Ryzen fanboy who doesn't know what a CCX is. ;-)
"The highest tier Threadripper CCX have a max of 8 cores"
Because who'd buy EPYC then?
I could say: no one - just like currently. ;-)

But here's the gentle variant: the people who these chips are designed for.
You think way too much about core count and performance. 4-core Xeon CPUs sell beautifully despite consumer CPUs going past 6 and the pointless HEDT closing 20.
Maybe not, but you seemed to be worried about it back on page 1 when you mentioned DDR5...
Because IF is very RAM-dependent. Based on how many RAM compatibility issues we've seen, I bet it will have to be reprogrammed for DDR5.
So yeah... unless AMD manages to do some microcode magic, I highly doubt any of currently available Ryzen CPUs will work with a future DDR5 motherboard.
Users don't like to upgrade a single part without "upgrading" other parts to support it?
Yup. Most don't care. I don't know if you've heard, but there's a phenomenon called "laptops" and it squashed desktops so much that most people only see desktops at work. And these office desktops are not AMD-powered, because, frankly, AMD seems not to care much about their PRO lineup.

AMD is making a big compromise here to get a "like" from PC tinkerers. IMO it's a waste of time and opportunity.

hat

Enthusiast
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Benchmark Scores >9000
Dude, your whole post is wat

Again with the "AMD has no sales" comment, and now upgradeable platforms are pointless because nobody even sees desktops outside of work environments...

Yeah, Zen had a lot of unfortunate compatibility issues when it first released. How quick we are to forget all those AGESA updates, BIOS updates, etc that helped make the platform more compatible, and of course Zen+ which doesn't have so many issues. Zen was a radical new architecture, and early adopters paid the price they're always at risk of paying. This is one positive thing about Intel's old architecture. While we haven't had any radical changes since Sandy (with the possible exception of higher core count CPUs with Coffee and Whiskey Lake, if you call it that), what we got instead were minor performance uplifts, tweaks and refinements. We would hear of the odd issue with some Intel platform every now and again, but it wasn't as big of a deal as the way Zen was when it first released... though that's history now, and again, nothing a little research wouldn't guard against.

AMD isn't really catering to PC tinkerers. They do give us things that we want, but most of it doesn't require much effort. I don't think there were any business meetings at AMD where some guy stood up, slammed his fist on the table and said "but what about the ENTHUSIAST market?!"... We got unlocked processors because that's likely a simple change in microcode that allows us to change the multiplier. We likely got solder because it was important for their product in some other way than just to appease the enthusiasts, because they keep slamming Intel for using mayonnaise paste (they too used paste, see the Athlon II series). Having a more compatible product (like AM3 chips with compatibility for the older DDR2) means a better product, and is better for business.

System Name AMD forever, AMD overclocker
Processor Athlon 3000+ Venice, Athlon x2 4600+ EE Windsor,x4 955 BE@3.9GHz AIR, X4 965 BE, x4 970 BE, x6 1090T
Motherboard Asus C5F-Z, Asus C5F, Asus C4E, Asus C4F, Asus RIIIE, Asus R4E, Asus M5F, Asus M6F, Asus M7H,
Cooling Corsair H100, Swiftech H220, CM Hyper 212, Xigmatek 1283 DK+Ultra Kaze, CM V6GT, Noctua NHD14
Memory Kingston Hyper X, 1600 A-Data 2000x, Corsair Dominator GT 2000 MHz, GSkill TridentX 2400MHz, HyperX
Video Card(s) HD3870 512MB GDDR4, HD5770 1024MB GDDR5, ATI HD4870, HD 6870 GDDR5, HD 7870,Radeon R9-270X
Storage 2x 320GB WD+Samsung, 1x 500 GB Samsung, SSD X-25, SSD HyperX, SSD Seagate, SSD Corsair GT
Display(s) BenQ 24" 24XL
Case HAF 922, Aspire X-Cruiser, benchtable Wroom
Power Supply Seasonic 500W and Seasonic 650W, Corsair AX 1200W, Zalman Goldrock 750, Galaxy OC edition 1200W
Software x64 win 7 and x86 Win XP SP3
Benchmark Scores you rather I do not want to see .. :-D !!!Thuban coming soon, new secret Gigabyte mobo too !!!
Its fake news.
U will see in few weeks, new pinnacle ridge is not necessary. And if AMD has 7nm samples in testing phase...ready to launch in h1 2019.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
My comment will be as simple as it is.
I'd rather have +one core more every year than + 100-200Mhz per year.
I'd grab that 2800x with 10c :) I'm currently thinking about buying new stuff and been thinking about 2700 or "x" versions. Wonder if I should wait longer and get 2800x. 10 cores are sexy. :)

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hmmm, interesting idea haha. This actually is a more reasonable hypothesis than highly binned 8-cores imo, and that is because it makes logical sense. Releasing junk yields early, but still better due to being on 7nm, would allow AMD to 100% convince investors that their current stock valuation is justified. They could simply "glue" (lol) two defective 7nm CCX's together and release a 5+5 4.5GHz Zen 2 2800X. 7nm in 2018 while Intel won't have 10nm till 2020... That would look really bad.

However 10 cores only makes sense imo if Zen 2 has 6-core CCX's (So the 2800X is 2 x partially disabled Zen 2 cores).
Getting 10 cores isn't actually possible with AMD's current architecture - the CCXes in each Zeppelin need to be balanced, i.e. you can disable either 2, 4 or 6 cores per die, but not 1, 3, 5 or 7. AFAIK, connected Zeppelins also need to be balanced, though I'm not 100% sure about that. At the very least, AMD hasn't yet released anything with a lopsided MCM setup. With an MCM 2-die solution, you could then have 4 (3 disabled per CCX), 8 (2 disabled per CCX), 12 (1 disabled per CCX) or 16 cores, but nothing else. From what I've read on the topic, this seems like a fundamental trait of the design, and not something easily overcome, at least on the Zeppelin level.

Regardless of that, there's then the issue of having enough "junk" that still manages to clock high enough to be useful to sell as a new high-end SKU. Given that maximum clock speeds and power draw are the most common points of failure in a new node, this seems unlikely.

I am not so sure about that. It would likely meet the gaming performance of the i7-9700K (Go look at IPC tests, in some games Ryzen is ahead of Intel at the same core count and clocks), and frankly anything to steel Intel's thunder at this point could (literally!) pay dividends. Oh, and it would not use more energy than Intel's newest gen of space heaters. I can assure you those 8-cores from Intel will use 200w+ if you clock all cores to 5GHz, and 5GHz will be required to beat a 4.5GHz+ Ryzen in gaming.
Oh, you're absolutely right about the power draw of Coffee (and in all likelihood Whiskey) Lake; even die-hard Intel fans admit that they need ~1.35-1.45V to reach 5GHz on average, which means anything from ~170W to ~220W. Space heaters indeed. Heck, Intel doesn't even guarantee their own turbo speeds within TDP. My issue, though, is with what's marketed - which has an image-building effect on the public. Intel still sells their space heater-grade hardware at 95W (although it pulls far more on any motherboard that has MCE/MCT enabled by default). For uninformed users, comparing this to a 125W Ryzen would mean that AMD is "less efficient", even if that's entirely BS. It's likely that a highly binned 125W Ryzen would be very competitive against an intel 8c8t (and possibly 8c16t) CPU, but the marketing effect could just as well end up being negative for AMD. AMD has a history of selling clocked-to-the-maximum SKUs that disregard power draw for performance (both in the CPU and GPU space) and releasing a product like this would hew too close to this history.

This, of course, presupposes that it'd be possible to fit two dice in an AM4 package at all, which is ... unlikely, even with the area savings of 7nm. See my previous posts for clarification. The package, substrate and platform isn't designed to accommodate the traces required for this.

I could say: no one - just like currently. ;-)

But here's the gentle variant: the people who these chips are designed for.
You think way too much about core count and performance. 4-core Xeon CPUs sell beautifully despite consumer CPUs going past 6 and the pointless HEDT closing 20.
EPYC is gaining market share rapidly. Also, even though low core count server hardware still sells a lot, high core count hardware is gaining momentum rapidly. Virtualization and the increasing parallelization of software makes this a given. Then again, it's natural that they sell less, given that you'd need 2-3 4-core chips to do the job of one 12-core, and so on.

Because IF is very RAM-dependent. Based on how many RAM compatibility issues we've seen, I bet it will have to be reprogrammed for DDR5.
So yeah... unless AMD manages to do some microcode magic, I highly doubt any of currently available Ryzen CPUs will work with a future DDR5 motherboard.
Considering that there isn't a single finished integrated DDR5 controller in existence, it's obvious that DDR5 and current-gen Ryzen won't be compatible. I seriously doubt they'd be able to hack DDR5 support into their DDR4 controller - RAM isn't that simple. While IF (and particularly APUs) stands to gain a lot from faster RAM, we're still a few years out from consumer adoption of DDR5. 2020 seems like a well though out line.

Yup. Most don't care. I don't know if you've heard, but there's a phenomenon called "laptops" and it squashed desktops so much that most people only see desktops at work. And these office desktops are not AMD-powered, because, frankly, AMD seems not to care much about their PRO lineup.
The PRO lineup is gaining momemtum, but for markets like this, turnaround is slow. There's a lot of validation and testing required, not to mention far more competitive volume licencing prices in the business desktop market. Still, they're arriving, slowly but steadily. Same goes for laptops. Raven Ridge is showing up in ever more designs, including premium ones. Convincing OEMs to switch takes time, but AMD is gaining. And that's good for everyone.

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
Oh, you're absolutely right about the power draw of Coffee (and in all likelihood Whiskey) Lake; even die-hard Intel fans admit that they need ~1.35-1.45V to reach 5GHz on average, which means anything from ~170W to ~220W. Space heaters indeed. Heck, Intel doesn't even guarantee their own turbo speeds within TDP. My issue, though, is with what's marketed - which has an image-building effect on the public. Intel still sells their space heater-grade hardware at 95W (although it pulls far more on any motherboard that has MCE/MCT enabled by default). For uninformed users, comparing this to a 125W Ryzen would mean that AMD is "less efficient", even if that's entirely BS. It's likely that a highly binned 125W Ryzen would be very competitive against an intel 8c8t (and possibly 8c16t) CPU, but the marketing effect could just as well end up being negative for AMD. AMD has a history of selling clocked-to-the-maximum SKUs that disregard power draw for performance (both in the CPU and GPU space) and releasing a product like this would hew too close to this history.

That bothers me a little. My i5 2400, while being a 95w chip, still only pulls <75w even with OCCT's AVX Linpack test (according to Coretemp, anyway). Why should even the 9900k pull greater than TDP at stock settings? Though MCE isn't really "stock"... all that does is force the highest turbo multiplier across all cores, which should be a few hundred negligible MHz...

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
That bothers me a little. My i5 2400, while being a 95w chip, still only pulls <75w even with OCCT's AVX Linpack test (according to Coretemp, anyway). Why should even the 9900k pull greater than TDP at stock settings? Though MCE isn't really "stock"... all that does is force the highest turbo multiplier across all cores, which should be a few hundred negligible MHz...
That's exactly it - MCE isn't stock. Intel rates TDP for base clocks only (though there's often room for some turbo above this even within TDP, there's still zero guarantee that your CPU will turbo under sustained loads). MCE removes any power limits imposed by the CPU or BIOS, letting the CPU "run free". This just means that the upcoming 8-cores from Intel will have lower base clocks than their 6-core 8700K (which already has a .5GHz deficiency in base clock vs. the 7700K). Rumors say the reduction is minimal - from 3.7GHz in the 8700K to 3.6 in the 9700K and 9900K. Still, the 8700K actually undercuts its TDP at stock by a bit, and Intel should have been able to eke out some more efficiency in that frequency band with their fourth iteration of the 14nm process. So there should be some wriggle room there for fitting two more cores within TDP at base clocks - but the chance of them turboing at all over time is ever smaller.

The point here is: Intel's PL2 limit allows above-TDP power draw for short durations even on bone-stock setups, but PL2 has a time limit, and PL1 kicks in after a short period of time. This is a hard power limit that the system can't exceed unless de-limited in BIOS, but Turbo Boost will try to run as close to this as possible while maintaining temperatures regardless of base clocks.

Your i5 2400 pulling less than 95W is due to nothing more complex than it being a lower-tier CPU that happens to pull more than the 2nd-tier TDP available. Intel (and their platform partners) doesn't want to deal with infinite TDP levels, so if it exceeds 65W (or whatever the 2nd tier was in the Sandy Bridge era), it's "95W", regardless of actual power draw at base clocks. With modern, smart boost algorithms, this would allow the chip to boost higher at stock, though I don't know if this was the case back then. The i5 8400 only draws ~50W under load according to AnandTech.

I never said a 9900K would draw more than 95W at stock (though this isn't unheard-of; we've seen ~95W Intel chips pulling 100-110W at stock), I just said that it won't be running at its 4.6GHz all-core turbo speed in a 95W power envelope. Which it won't. And MCE isn't stock, as it disables any and all power limits, so it clearly doesn't count. The thing muddying the waters here are motherboards that have MCE enabled by default - which isn't Intel's fault, but which makes the 95W rating misleading at best (particularly when some publications review chips "at stock" with MCE enabled).

Edit: forgot to say, those "few hundred ... MHz" are definitely not negligible in terms of power draw. Power and clocks do not at all scale in a linear fashion, so there is likely to be a dramatic (or at least very noticeable) difference between a core running at 3.6GHz and a core running at 4.6GHz - I wouldn't be surprised if power draw increased by more than 1.5x with that (1.27x) increase in clock speed. And the higher the clocks (or more correctly: the further above the efficiency sweet spot of the design), the more dramatic the increase in power draw per clock.

Last edited:
Reactions: hat
System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Are you saying that there's no 2800x planned? I heard rumors that there will be 2800x, it's just nobody know when and what will the CPU actually have.
It seems reasonable that AMD would skip this, yes. I have no sources for this, but neither do the rumors of a 2800X coming. Given that they had to push the TDP even for the 2700X, there's little reason to suspect they'd be able to release something noticeably faster in decent quantities. It'd need a minimum of a 200MHz clock speed bump (and even that would be rather sad), and the 2700X is already pushing the limits of the 12nm node. And given how close 7nm Zen2 seems to be, I'm betting on AMD focusing on high-margin enterprise segments until that arrives. It doesn't matter to them whether the Intel competition has 6 or 8 cores - even the 8700K is slightly better in most games than the 2700X, so why play catch-up when you can wait a bit and deliver a far heavier blow? Ryzen 2000 will keep selling - and selling well - even if Intel matches their core count. There's no reason for AMD to act desperate and push out a hot-running, clocked-to-the-max SKU just to say "hey, we're here too!". They already are.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
It seems reasonable that AMD would skip this, yes. I have no sources for this, but neither do the rumors of a 2800X coming. Given that they had to push the TDP even for the 2700X, there's little reason to suspect they'd be able to release something noticeably faster in decent quantities. It'd need a minimum of a 200MHz clock speed bump (and even that would be rather sad), and the 2700X is already pushing the limits of the 12nm node. And given how close 7nm Zen2 seems to be, I'm betting on AMD focusing on high-margin enterprise segments until that arrives. It doesn't matter to them whether the Intel competition has 6 or 8 cores - even the 8700K is slightly better in most games than the 2700X, so why play catch-up when you can wait a bit and deliver a far heavier blow? Ryzen 2000 will keep selling - and selling well - even if Intel matches their core count. There's no reason for AMD to act desperate and push out a hot-running, clocked-to-the-max SKU just to say "hey, we're here too!". They already are.
I just really wanna try this 2700 or 2800 (with the last one if it gets realeased but what you are saying it isn't) I could wait for zen2 but i'm tempted to go with 2700 or "x" version. zen2 will be release probably 2019 q1 if I remember correctly.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
I just really wanna try this 2700 or 2800 (with the last one if it gets realeased but what you are saying it isn't) I could wait for zen2 but i'm tempted to go with 2700 or "x" version. zen2 will be release probably 2019 q1 if I remember correctly.
Yeah, at the earliest. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to uphold a 1-year release cadence, which would mean a launch around march/april - but I'd love for it to arrive earlier. I understand the desire for getting the fastest possible thing as soon as possible, though. Isn't that always the chief frustration for PC enthusiasts? :p On the other hand, I bought a 1600X when it launched, and even if the 2600x is measurably faster across the board, I'm still very happy with mine. The 2700X is a crazy powerful processor, and even if it's bound to be eclipsed by 3000-series hardware in 6-8 months, that doesn't mean it won't be good any more at that point. It's still going to be great.