• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Waterfox users : TLS tracking.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
This will get fixed. The thing with TLS sessions is that they are linked to cookie generation(IIRC) and if you delete cookies everytime you close your browser, a new cookie will need to be generated and thus a new TLS session will have to generate with it. So go into Waterfox settings and set them as shown below;
WaterfoxPrivacySettings1.jpg
Additionally, if you use a cookie removal plugin such as " Self-Destructing Cookies " cookies will be deleted after closing the tab/Window and thus the TLS session will be forced to reset.

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Are you
if you delete cookies everytime you close your browser, a new cookie will need to be generated and thus a new TLS session will have to generate with it.

Additionally, if you use a cookie removal plugin such as " Self-Destructing Cookies " cookies will be deleted after closing the tab/Window and thus the TLS session will be forced to reset.
Are you sure? I ask out of ignorance. And I ask because of the following statement found following the links above to Hacker News where it says (my bold underline added),
Whoa. I had no idea browsers were sending unique identifiers back to previously visited sites, even with cleared/disabled cookies.
It seems to me, that's the whole problem. That is, even if you clear the cookies, the tracking is still possible.

Are you
Are you sure? I ask out of ignorance. And I ask because of the following statement found following the links above to Hacker News where it says (my bold underline added), It seems to me, that's the whole problem. That is, even if you clear the cookies, the tracking is still possible.
You could be right, I might be wrong. My understanding about those intricate workings is somewhat dated. However, it's generally supposed to work the way I described. Perhaps there's an aspect of the TLS session that stores an LTSO that isn't being wiped like it's supposed to and thus the persistence.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
However, it's generally supposed to work the way I described.
I agree. In fact, I don't see why any browser should be sending any information back to previously visited sites - whether cookies have been cleared or not. I am not a tin-foil hat wearing, paranoid privacy freak, but it seems to me, if I don't knowingly give my consent, when I leave a site, nothing should be sent back to that site about me, my computer or my computing habits.

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
Thanks for making me aware of this issue. I'm an avid fan of Waterfox. Don't have time to check into it closely at the moment(cooking), but I will delve into it later. I just wanted to send a thanks along to DtG for pointing it out.

:),

Liquid Cool

Actually did a bit more research. The plugin I mentioned above, Self-Destructing Cookies( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/self-destructing-cookies/?src=api ), seems to work around this problem because it deletes all session data, not just cookies. However that plugin might not install as it's intended for older versions of the Firefox engine. If you're using a newer version of Waterfox, there is an excellent replacement plugin which carries out very similar functions called Cookie AutoDelete( https://github.com/Cookie-AutoDelete/Cookie-AutoDelete ). In the settings for this plugin, make sure the " Localstorage Cleanup " is checked.

Highly recommend the use of one of them as their use will, in theory, negate this TLS session problem.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Hmmm, I wonder if that plugin works for Pale Moon (my default browser), a forked FF spinoff? Or if it is even necessary after the last PM update where the change log says,
Removed support for TLS session caches in TLSServerSocket.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Actually did a bit more research. The plugin I mentioned above, Self-Destructing Cookies( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/self-destructing-cookies/?src=api ), seems to work around this problem because it deletes all session data, not just cookies. However that plugin might not install as it's intended for older versions of the Firefox engine. If you're using a newer version of Waterfox, there is an excellent replacement plugin which carries out very similar functions called Cookie AutoDelete( https://github.com/Cookie-AutoDelete/Cookie-AutoDelete ). In the settings for this plugin, make sure the " Localstorage Cleanup " is checked.

Highly recommend the use of one of them as their use will, in theory, negate this TLS session problem.
There are a lot of specific use addons for FF/WF/other browsers. While this might be a better choice for those less comfortable doing edits to about:config, overlapping addons can still cause the rare occasional problem. For the savvy, editing/adding these 2 lines is still better than installing an addon that has limited use or redundant.

There are a lot of specific use addons for FF/WF/other browsers. While this might be a better choice for those less comfortable doing edits to about:config, overlapping addons can still cause the rare occasional problem.
I've never seen a problem like that happen. Thinking most people would be ok.
For the savvy, editing/adding these 2 lines is still better than installing an addon that has limited use or redundant.
What two lines? Did you mean the the ones mentioned on the github post?
TLS.jpg

For those who want to give this a go and have never used the config tool built into FireFox and all of it's variants, open a new tab or window and type " about:config " into the address bar. You might get a warning a about a warranty, ignore it(because really what warranty?). In the search bar that comes up with the config page, to easily find the two setting above, just type in the first word and the set the options as shown above. The changes take effect on the fly and can be tested immediately. Here's the direct link to test site once you've finished. https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html

Please keep in mind this fix only applies to Waterfox. Firefox, Palemoon, Cyberfox and all other variants seem unaffected because the problem has been removed, disabled or patched. Waterfox will shortly be patched as well.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H