• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Could Have Killed 10 nm Process According to SemiAccurate Report [Updated]

Well I don't know how you think about the source. But after reading 2 articles from Mr. Demerjian @ SemiAccurate, specifically the two linked in your article, I think they are trolls, and very bad trolls. A crank and narcissist in my opinion.

They infer i3-8121U's power consumption from ark.intel.com, I don't know if it is professionalism or pure foolishness.

Makes me think that if there's truth in his sources that intel has killed 10nm for mainstream and up, b/c it's too fundamentally broken to save. They could do modems, mobile and maybe low end desktop. Obviously, the rest they would just have to bleed and lose half their value on in the next 2 years haha. Cmon intel losers, I need this as a b-day present. It is pretty damning that we're at the end of 2018 and besides the couple dies that weren't defective that were sold to lenovo, we've still seen NOTHING. And given the BS lenovo chips, you know intel is trying to tout that 10nm isn't broken. So much silence.

I been saying for a long time that 10nm will only every come in 2019 as low-powered mobile CPU's - like Broadwell's initial launch. But they will probably get it out at the end of "back to school", and so they will claim they were not lying.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
I been saying for a long time that 10nm will only every come in 2019 as low-powered mobile CPU's - like Broadwell's initial launch. But they will probably get it out at the end of "back to school", and so they will claim they were not lying.
until they officially launch in 10nm, i'd guess middle 2020

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Well I don't know how you think about the source. But after reading 2 articles from Mr. Demerjian @ SemiAccurate, specifically the two linked in your article, I think they are trolls, and very bad trolls. A crank and narcissist in my opinion.

They infer i3-8121U's power consumption from ark.intel.com, I don't know if it is professionalism or pure foolishness.

But what do you mean? 9900k is 95w TDP. We all know intel 95 tdp definitely doesn't mean over 200 consumption LOL.

It's even worse on those i3s than stated by intel on those if they don't adhere to very strict throttling haha. Has anyone bothered to get a hold of those notebook and do a comparison (no point but would be interesting given no IGP too)?

"You have to take this news ... with a grain of salt ... because according to their sources, Intel would have already killed the process of 10 nm. This analyst has maintained the theory that Intel would never take that step, and ... [that] this is the right decision."

I can't begin to parse that passage. And the referenced link doesn't seem to support it.

And for the glib Demerjian detractors: Say what you want about his passions and style BUT he is exceptionally smart, does far more homework than most journos, and does more with what he learns from that. He is always ahead of the crowd, and much more often right than wrong. Pretty valuable, no? I'll bet that AMD buys his pro service and considers it money well spent.

Demerjian correctly predicted Intel's consecutive 10 nm delays for years now, and he's probably correct this time too. I suppose Intel will save face by producing a very small money-losing 10 nm family and trumpeting that as a success. They'll hope that by then no one will care what they said in 2015 - and no one will.

But what do you mean? 9900k is 95w TDP. We all know intel 95 tdp definitely doesn't mean over 200 consumption LOL.

It's even worse on those i3s than stated by intel on those if they don't adhere to very strict throttling haha. Has anyone bothered to get a hold of those notebook and do a comparison (no point but would be interesting given no IGP too)?

Yes, I mean the same. The TDP has almost no indication of actual power consumption. Yet Mr. Demerjian infered (rather than tested) i3-8121U's power consumption by merely looking at the TDP data from Intel ARK.
And even more, they even do some math like 25W/2=12.5W on some CFL-R chips, assuming the iGPU consumes 50% of power, LMAO.

System Name N/A
Processor Intel Core i5 3570
Motherboard Gigabyte B75
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper TX3
Memory 12 GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Z RTX 2060
Storage SSD
Display(s) Samsung 4K HDR 60 Hz TV
Case Eagle Warrior Gaming
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Coolermaster Elite 460W
Mouse Vorago KM500
Keyboard Vorago KM500
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores N/A
I think that cancelling Intel's 10 nm is a bad idea, what they should be doing instead is licencing TSMC's 10 nm (which is less advanced therefore better yields) and postponing Intel's 10 nm to relaunching it as 7 nm in 2020/2021. Anyway all of this would work if and only if Intel has already changed Cannon/Ice Lake design to an easier process or either taken any other measures months ago.

Is also disturbing that we don't know yet anything beyond Intel's 10 nm, either a 10+ nm or 7 nm, not to mention plans of releasing products on it in X year.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Intel need not worry, everyone loves an underdog here. So it's only natural they will go out of their way to support them as required.