• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Two Months After Proton Over 2,500 Windows Games Work On Linux Through Steam Play

Proton is a new tool released by Valve Software that has been integrated with Steam Play to make playing Windows games on Linux as simple as hitting the Play button within Steam. Underneath the hood, Proton comprises other popular tools like Wine and DXVK among others that a gamer would otherwise have to install and maintain themselves. This greatly eases the burden for users to switch to Linux without having to learn the underlying systems or losing access to a large part of their library of games. Proton is still in its infancy so support is inconsistent, but regularly improving and the list of supported Windows games is growing each day.

In fact, this project has announced that it has now over 2,500 Windows games (2,663 at the time of writing) that work on Linux with Proton and Steam Play. Beyond those supported "whitelisted" games, there are several others that although not-whitelisted are supported and "play just as well as on Windows". Some examples are "No Man's Sky", "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt", "Wolfenstein: The New Order" or "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim". Any user can contribute and report about the titles in his game library thanks to ProtonDB.

The performance could be slightly different on Windows and Linux, but overall developers expect these supported games to run fine on Linux. This allows users to enjoy those games without installing Windows on their Linux machines, something that could improve Linux usage all around even for gamers that used Linux on a daily basis as their operating system and had to install Windows just to play those titles.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Super cool. If this takes off, and continues support, I wouldn't mind switching my main rigs at home to a unix based OS. Everything else at home is already on unix, just the personal PC's would be the last step and gaming is one of the main pain points.

System Name N/A
Processor Intel Core i5 3570
Motherboard Gigabyte B75
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper TX3
Memory 12 GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Z RTX 2060
Storage SSD
Display(s) Samsung 4K HDR 60 Hz TV
Case Eagle Warrior Gaming
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Coolermaster Elite 460W
Mouse Vorago KM500
Keyboard Vorago KM500
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores N/A
I thought it would be much worse, anyway I still watched like a 30% slower performance compared to windows.

System Name SALTY
Processor A10-5800K
Motherboard A75
Cooling Air
Memory 10Gig DDR133
Video Card(s) HD 7660D
Storage HDD
Display(s) 4k HDR TV
Power Supply 320 Watt
I thought it would be much worse, anyway I still watched like a 30% slower performance compared to windows.

Still good news for Linux users or if you just feel like trying a different o/s

System Name N/A
Motherboard Gigabyte B75
Memory 12 GB DDR3 1600
Storage SSD
Audio Device(s) N/A
Mouse Vorago KM500
Keyboard Vorago KM500
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores N/A
Still good news for Linux users or if you just feel like trying a different o/s

Just install Windows in a second drive or partition, it doesn't fit in my head any reason to lose 30% performance just for sticking to play on Linux.

Why do they take credit for ~25 years of opensource community wine development.
What does proton bring except a nicer package for already existing software?

Processor Core i5-6500
Motherboard MSI Z170A Krait Gaming
Memory 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black
Video Card(s) Radeon HD7970
Display(s) 2x BenQ E2200HD
Case Xigmatek Utgard
Power Supply OCZ Fatal1ty 550W
Mouse Mad Catz M.M.O.TE
Keyboard Coolermaster Quickfire TK MX Blue
Software Windows 10 64bit
Just install Windows in a second drive or partition, it doesn't fit in my head any reason to lose 30% performance just for sticking to play on Linux.

Honestly, since I started dabbling in Linux and using it exclusively on my personal PCs, I don't want to switch back to windows. No reason for it. In fact, Linux feels way smoother and more stable. And also, if a program completely hangs in Windows, it can cause a full ahng of the system. In Linux I open terminal and kill the process. It might open slowly, sure, but it always works.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Why do they take credit for ~25 years of opensource community wine development.
Probably less than apple or Google did, they're not selling it after all and are cooperating with those devs afaik.

System Name N/A
Motherboard Gigabyte B75
Memory 12 GB DDR3 1600
Storage SSD
Audio Device(s) N/A
Mouse Vorago KM500
Keyboard Vorago KM500
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores N/A
Honestly, since I started dabbling in Linux and using it exclusively on my personal PCs, I don't want to switch back to windows. No reason for it. In fact, Linux feels way smoother and more stable. And also, if a program completely hangs in Windows, it can cause a full ahng of the system. In Linux I open terminal and kill the process. It might open slowly, sure, but it always works.

We are talking exclusively about playing games, do you find a reason to play in Linux?

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

Unless you are running a really odd configuration of cheap componenets that were never supposed to be together its a hardware fault and not Windows since about XP SP2. I hate 8 and despise 10 but I run 10 as its modern and allows for DX11/12 to work with my hardware, which are the major games rendering path without a 30% loss of performance. I can use all the benefits of opensource software without the questions if my system is performing as well as it should.

System Name SALTY
Processor A10-5800K
Motherboard A75
Cooling Air
Memory 10Gig DDR133
Video Card(s) HD 7660D
Storage HDD
Display(s) 4k HDR TV
Power Supply 320 Watt
I moved from Windows 10 to Linux just to have a mess around with, after a few days I decided I don't really need to go back to windows 10, so decided to stick with Linux Mint.
Steam Play saves the user or newbie having to mess around with wine, to make it more of a click and play through steam play, well that's the idea behind it I think.
I say Windows 10 to those who need it and Linux is an option if you dont.

Super cool. If this takes off, and continues support, I wouldn't mind switching my main rigs at home to a unix based OS
Wait, Unix? Proton is Linux. But if it does run on Unix then porting to MacOS would likely be easy. That would be a "Welcome to Gaming on MacOS!" moment..

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
Wait, Unix? Proton is Linux. But if it does run on Unix then porting to MacOS would likely be easy. That would be a "Welcome to Gaming on MacOS!" moment..
OSX is also, not unix...

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
This is awesome!

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
Apple bought Nextstep, which is Unix based, in the mid 90's and MacOS was based on that. Apple is using a BSD variant for current OSX, which is a Unix environment.

EDIT; iOS is also a Unix variant.

OSX is a Unix derivative at best, which is why it is called, Unix-like, in the same way that Linux is Unix-like.
Linux being a ground up approach, OSX being a bastard of several derivations... and is just as far from the source as Linux. Neither are Unix environments.
Novel (Suse distro) had their hands on Unix dev as well... doesn't make linux unix.

Don't take my world for it, https://github.com/apple/darwin-xnu
Apple doesn't even consider it Unix.

Random note: PS4 runs a BSD variant... its all about the drivers and frameworks and OSX has ended easy porting.

Now, can we go back to enjoying more choice in which platforms we can game on?

Processor Core i5-6500
Motherboard MSI Z170A Krait Gaming
Memory 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black
Video Card(s) Radeon HD7970
Display(s) 2x BenQ E2200HD
Case Xigmatek Utgard
Power Supply OCZ Fatal1ty 550W
Mouse Mad Catz M.M.O.TE
Keyboard Coolermaster Quickfire TK MX Blue
Software Windows 10 64bit
We are talking exclusively about playing games, do you find a reason to play in Linux?

Well, yes. I play on Linux exactly the same games as I would on Windows. With most of the time, since my main rig got stolen and I just have some cheap components now, better performance than in Windows.
Unless you are running a really odd configuration of cheap componenets that were never supposed to be together its a hardware fault and not Windows since about XP SP2.

I hate 8 and despise 10 but I run 10 as its modern and allows for DX11/12 to work with my hardware, which are the major games rendering path without a 30% loss of performance. I can use all the benefits of opensource software without the questions if my system is performing as well as it should.

First part: Well, then I guess the i5-6500, 16GB of Kingston RAM, MSI Z150A Krait Gaming Motherboard and the HD7970 are considered odd and cheap now. And the Hardware otherwise was just fine. Stuff like that happened mostly in heavily modded games like Skyrim. Or when there were some Software component running at the same time the system didn't want them to.

Second part: If games were not made for proprietary DX but for the more open and mostly more modern OpenGL, you wouldn't think that way. Actually, I was dreaming of games using OpenGL more heavily for like 10 years now. Since I first heard of it and Linux. And even then I just moved completely to Linux this year.
I moved from Windows 10 to Linux just to have a mess around with, after a few days I decided I don't really need to go back to windows 10, so decided to stick with Linux Mint.
Steam Play saves the user or newbie having to mess around with wine, to make it more of a click and play through steam play, well that's the idea behind it I think.
I say Windows 10 to those who need it and Linux is an option if you dont.

That is the way I went also. The most awkward quirk was to get my Mad Catz M.M.O.TE to work properly, since for some reason the onboard software of that mouse sends the active profile of the three available profiles as a continous button press. And The DWM doesn't like that. So I had to play in the configuration to disable those three "buttons". Mouse works as intended still.
Don't take my world for it, https://github.com/apple/darwin-xnu
Apple doesn't even consider it Unix.
https://developer.apple.com/library...erview/SystemTechnology/SystemTechnology.html In the section "The Kernel" they are calling it UNIX-based.
And if you look at the right hand vertical column in the following link, The bottom most thing with "Darwin Technologies" says "Beneath the easy-to-use interface of macOS is a rock-solid, UNIX foundation."
So, well, they DO mention and consider it UNIX.

Of course, the OS is not just the Kernel, be it Linux, Unix, Darwin or Windows NT but the complete mix of technologies, programs and DWM on top of it. So something being UNIX or Linux doesn'T mean it's compatible or easily portable, if the other components of the OS are completely incompatible.

System Name SALTY
Processor A10-5800K
Motherboard A75
Cooling Air
Memory 10Gig DDR133
Video Card(s) HD 7660D
Storage HDD
Display(s) 4k HDR TV
Power Supply 320 Watt
Quote: |Xpect
"That is the way I went also. The most awkward quirk was to get my Mad Catz M.M.O.TE to work properly, since for some reason the onboard software of that mouse sends the active profile of the three available profiles as a continous button press. And The DWM doesn't like that. So I had to play in the configuration to disable those three "buttons". Mouse works as intended still."

In me younger years I had the elitism attitude, rather than open minded, so I just jumped on the hype train and ran with the crowd, it was fun at the time.

As the years past I found that I out grew the elitism attitude, (which really just gets pushed by the self appointed Self-righteous i'm better than you type, more and more,the British Class System mentality springs to mind) and realized I don't even need most of it, Linux fits the bill for my needs perfectly.

after staying with Mint, I cant help but feeling, Microsoft are using my PC for more than I do with Windows 10.

so it's not about what others say is better, it's about what fits your needs. why i say if you really need Windows then stick with it, if you don't then there are plenty of options.

most people (probs the younger crowd, as they do know it all already lol) will go with whats being shouted the loudest, rather than try something that's different to them.

Last edited:

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Super cool. If this takes off, and continues support, I wouldn't mind switching my main rigs at home to a unix based OS. Everything else at home is already on unix, just the personal PC's would be the last step and gaming is one of the main pain points.

Yep! I'm in the same boat, in the same dilemma and I'll be right there with ya during the switchover if they keep this momentum up.

System Name N/A
Motherboard Gigabyte B75
Memory 12 GB DDR3 1600
Storage SSD
Audio Device(s) N/A
Mouse Vorago KM500
Keyboard Vorago KM500
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores N/A
Well, yes. I play on Linux exactly the same games as I would on Windows. With most of the time, since my main rig got stolen and I just have some cheap components now, better performance than in Windows.

I would like to see some of your own benchmarks (FPS), because I find it hard to believe it that is faster in Linux, unless is a game written in Linux instead of using Wine. When you say better performance than Windows you mean FPS or what are your metrics?

System Name SALTY
Processor A10-5800K
Motherboard A75
Cooling Air
Memory 10Gig DDR133
Video Card(s) HD 7660D
Storage HDD
Display(s) 4k HDR TV
Power Supply 320 Watt
I would like to see some of your own benchmarks (FPS), because I find it hard to believe it that is faster in Linux, unless is a game written in Linux instead of using Wine. When you say better performance than Windows you mean FPS or what are your metrics?

I think they have to be thinking Linux game, even then ... From my experience windows runs games faster, although that should be expected, there has been a lot more investment in windows O/S for gaming than in Linux O/S like AAA games for example.

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
Ease of use, what I asked 10 years ago when I tried it. I haven't touched wine for a very long time, but making that thing run was a pain in the ass and of course you had to connect the dots via bad explained tutorials to make it work. I would have gone full linux if I had this back then.