• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Confirms Issues Cropping Up With Turing-based Cards, "It's Not a Broad Issue"

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Yet consumers lot more wattage and runs hot.
Did you read what I posted? With respect, if you did and understood it you should have walked away thinking a card that is ~25% faster than its predecessor uses 6% more power. If you want to REALLY compare apples to apples, the Reference 2080 Ti is 250W and would be ~23% faster at the same power.

Clocks are actually similar, etc.

4. 3584 vs 4352 cuda cores = 18 % more cuda cores for 25% more performance boost. Not an impressive achievement in my eyes.
ON that point, which was never part of mcraygsx's post to which I responded to, that is correct.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G27Q + AOC 19'
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11 x64
My condolences for those who are affected.

What is your point now, mcraygsx? These show what I was saying....

267W vs 289W (8% difference in gaming LESS in Furmark but who in their right mind furmarks) and 25% better results..........so, THANKS! :)

I mean are you really trying to convey that 8% is "A LOT" more power??? Even against a performance increase of 25% (1440+ resolutions)? I mean, I can't fight that nonsense....

You should go back and re read the review perhaps if you would like to compare apples to apples.
Speaking in code isn't helping. What did I miss in an apples to apples comparison? You are aware that there is an FE model and a Reference model from NVIDIA with different specs, right?
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2080-ti/

I used the whitepaper values of the cards... this is real world testing and will vary from test to test.

Stick with me peeps or be clear in sharing what I am missing here!

Last edited:
These cards will run at sub 200W levels with higher frequencies on 7nm dies. That will be real RTX. Today's 20 RTX GPUs are just beta testing tools paid by wealthy impatient Nvidia fanboys.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
"It's never a huge issue... until it is"

Fact: users with issues are often very vocal, contrary to users who just bought their shit, didn't have issues and lived happily ever after
Fact: we don't know how many bad cards are out there compared to good cards
Fact: we don't know how many good cards are out there that will suffer an untimely failure

So, it's too early to tell whether it's a massive issue or not. All we can do is speculate. I speculate that nVidia wouldn't push a large number of bad cards out the door. That would lead to a lot of unhappy customers, bad PR, additional costs involved with all those RMAs... it wouldn't be very wise.

Fact: users with issues are often very vocal, contrary to users who just bought their shit, didn't have issues and lived happily ever after
Fact: we don't know how many good cards are out there that will suffer an untimely failure

So, it's too early to tell whether it's a massive issue or not. All we can do is speculate. I speculate that nVidia wouldn't push a large number of bad cards out the door. That would lead to a lot of unhappy customers, bad PR, additional costs involved with all those RMAs... it wouldn't be very wise.
TPU members, I present to you, a voice of reason.

Thank you, thank you Hat!!!!!

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
A $1200 fuck up , period!!! Shouldnt be happening, but when your an Early adapoter........

NVidia never meant to produce a lot of RTX 2080 TI cards to begin with. I work in car industry and from my experience, when supplier is given order to produce millions of particular part, number of defective units will be small and fall even lower over time (to 2-3 parts per million). On the other hand, if you task supplier with producing only few 100.000s parts, you'll be in trouble as quality deteriorates substantially. Given complexity of Nvidia's large dies and low volumes, it doesn't surprise me they're having hard time achieving high quality production lines with sustainable production costs.

Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
TPU members, I present to you, a voice of reason.

Thank you, thank you Hat!!!!!

My point being the larger GPU require more complex manufacturing process thus probability of a defect increases. Yield to die size ratio is not proportional.
That is why new GPU start off with smaller nodes e.g. 2080/2070. In this case they rushed 2080 Ti on released date unlike previous generations.
I am sorry if my FERMI joke triggered :laugh: you this bad. But staying on topic it seems like quality assurance really lacked this time around.

Triggered? Naa holmes, just correcting information (that you tried to assert twice is correct) is all.

Not sure why you keep posting man... its all good here! Wrongs were righted and all is well in the World. :pimp:

tenor.gif

LOL, you deleted your posts trying to defend your point......... LOLOLOL

Last edited:
No you don't have to ask, RTX is just a card ~ even if it is bad, it's bad for anyone who's bought it btw everyone else don't need to have an opinion of it.

Hardware Unboxed just reported that one of their RTX 2080 TI just died. This is not normal deficiency rate, given that only few thousand RTX 2080 TI has been sold by now:

NVidia will of course deny everything. That's what their corp PR department is for. Never admit a problem until proven wrong and even then minimize it's importance. That's how corporations play the game, Nvidia is no different. Their responsability lies with shareholders not consumers.

3 out of 9 are bad for System Integrator, Ouch

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
A $1200 **ck up , period!!! Shouldn't be happening, but when you're an early adapter........
Is this why they call it the bleeding edge and not the leading edge?

This shouldn’t be happening at all, certainly not at its price point.

This, most definitely this.
For the money outlay, they should be perfect.
I was choking on the prices of these things anyway.
Maybe it's bad Joss, or maybe, (just maybe) it's Karma slapping them around for their over the top greed. :nutkick:

Last edited:

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
A $1200 fuck up , period!!! Shouldnt be happening, but when your an Early adapoter........

That's why there's terms like "early adopter tax". Not only are you paying big for the product, but you're also getting it before any improvements are made... that means neat bonuses like the G0 stepping Q6600s or D0 i7 920s, for example, or seemingly glaring issues like this. I'm still not sure it's as bad as it's made out to be, though. The truth exists somewhere among sensationalism, fanboys, potentially bad journalism and small (or just bad) sample size.

NVidia never meant to produce a lot of RTX 2080 TI cards to begin with. I work in car industry and from my experience, when supplier is given order to produce millions of particular part, number of defective units will be small and fall even lower over time (to 2-3 parts per million). On the other hand, if you task supplier with producing only few 100.000s parts, you'll be in trouble as quality deteriorates substantially. Given complexity of Nvidia's large dies and low volumes, it doesn't surprise me they're having hard time achieving high quality production lines with sustainable production costs.

I work in a plastics plant (also manufacturing) and I could tell you different. However, you can't apply the same line of thinking to laundry baskets, car parts and video cards...

These chips are some of the biggest ever, which is why yields are poor. I'm sure the process can improve over time, but that doesn't excuse an unreasonably large number of bad parts being shipped out (if that is indeed the case).

This, most definitely this.
For the money outlay, they should be perfect.
I was choking on the prices of these things anyway.
Maybe it's bad Joss, or maybe, (just maybe) it's Karma slapping them around for their over the top greed. :nutkick:

2080Ti are more susceptible to failure than cheaper cards because they're more complex. As I said above, though, that still doesn't excuse poor QC.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
This thread is giving me cancer; someone even used the term "nvidiot" unironically. I'm more concerned, however, by the elaborate-but-nonsensical conspiracy theories being slung around, especially the "NVIDIA knew this would happen" ones. In what universe does it ever benefit NVIDIA to release known defective products? Especially when they have no competition at that level and therefore no need to rush said products' release? Honestly.

Unless you enjoy showing your irrational hate of "the enemy" NVIDIA as well as your deficient IQs, how's about y'all quiet down and wait for more concrete facts to be released before making fools of yourselves.

System Name Red Cute Pet xD
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus B650E-E ROG Strix
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Acer Predator Vesta II 32GB (16GB * 2) DDR5 6000MT/s CL30-38-38-76
Video Card(s) Yeston GeForce RTX 4060 8GB Cute Pet Edition
Display(s) Acer Predator X35 G-Sync Ultimate
Case Lian-Li O11 Air Mini Black-Mesh
Power Supply Toughpower GF3 1200W Gold - TT Premium Edition
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero wired
VR HMD Nope NOpe NOPE
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Nothing special...Yet.
That's sad news, so if someone wants to buy now the best choice is to wait for this storm to pass? maybe nVidia will release a new batch with a permanent fix for this?

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Here's the thing though; knowing about the memory configuration did nothing to change how the card performed. And the card DID have 4gb of memory on it. Generally the only way that people were able to figure out the issue were by, usually, artificially loading up the memory to cause it to switch over to slow mode.
There is a reason they were forced to pay 970 customers after losing class lawsuit.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Issues can and will happen no matter the price point ( of course not ideal but hey we don't live in a perfect world ) the most important is how the company having those issues does handle them . As long as NVIDIA provides a decent service for those having issues there is no point to make a fuss about it.

May I ask what previous instances of new cards dying shortly after moderate use?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Sounds like a bad batch of GDDR6 that should have been caught by QA.

System Name my friends call me Zenny, I make a bad enemy
Processor still computing
Motherboard Naw she aint, she has 2 dachshunds
Cooling I ride motorcycles rain or shine
Memory semi-eidetic, 48 years on-time
Video Card(s) don't need one anymore, but still have a few Polaris
Storage I grew up in Silicon Valley during the '80's and '90's in San Jose, CA
Display(s) 2016 Scout Sixty when I want to look pretty. The females agree.
Case I only roll in old shit. 1963 F100 Unibody
Audio Device(s) JBL Boombox 3, V-MODA Crossfade
Power Supply Ensure, Bacon Jerky, and mineral water
Mouse I hates em. I sets up glue traps for em. Guk!
Keyboard Trying to close a Captains of Crush #3. For 5 years now.
VR HMD Nahmang /Yay Area
Software Hey! My underpants is my business!
Benchmark Scores How much does Mark weigh?
Sounds like a bad batch of GDDR6 that should have been caught by QA.

...possibly exacerbated by the fact that a lot of people are overclocking it. First gen of new graphics memory tends to not have much OC headroom, esp long-term.

It appears that the GDDR6 on most of these cards is specified at 1750MHz and that's what they are already clocked at out of the box.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Sorry, but when you ask more than 1000$ for a RTX 2080 card and way more for the "Ti", there is absolutelly NO EXCUSE to release a faulty product. Considering how much they cost, the testing of those cards should have been excessive to say the least.

Processor Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC WC
Storage M.2 990 Pro 1TB / 10TB WD RED Helium / 3x 860 2TB Evos
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 28"
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D SE Modded
Power Supply Cooler Master V Series 1300W
Software Windows 11
"crashes, black screens, blue screen of death issues, artifacts" Yep got all of these plus lockups with driver crashes this was on a Asus 2080 OC, the card cooked it self on idle the fans never turned on only when the card was underload, the backplate i could of cooked eggs on, i returned it and i wont be getting other one.