• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield V Tides of War GeForce RTX DirectX Raytracing

Sorry, they rarely do english content.
Here's example cropped from the video illustrating how the SSRI vegetation cuts out when out of view. Preventing this cut out is one of the big selling points on RT-reflections, they don't cut out, the reflection is there no matter if the reflected object is on screen

View attachment 111964View attachment 111963

edit: flipped the pictures around to better fit the texts "cutting out" part, this particular crop was actually taken from when the reflections pop in as the vegetation moves back to screen

I think this is an example of what they said they were going to do. Be more aggressive with Culling and LODs in the reflections.

At the end of the video you see the other player model box completely block the RT reflection of the trucks. You can also see another player model run across in the background and he seams to have a cut off box effect infront of him as he makes his was across the scene in the reflection. The smoke/leaflets particles are also blocking the RT effect as well

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570 Pro
Cooling Deepcool LS-720
Memory 32 GB (4x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 XT Gaming OC
Storage Samsung PM9A1 (980 Pro OEM) + 960 Evo NVMe SSD + 830 SATA SSD + Toshiba & WD HDD's
Display(s) Samsung C32HG70
Case Lian Li O11D Evo
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Zx
Power Supply Seasonic 750W Focus+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G703 Lightspeed
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
they are combinations of the ray tracing + ssr and no they dont cut out EVER.
Fun fact: they cut out, pictures and video linked already in the thread before your post.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Which is why mastering the technical side is not enough. You need your artists/designers to learn how to integrate the new tech into their work, too.
One example I often bring up is Pixel Shader 2.0. For a couple of years after it was released, many games only used that to add reflections to various objects. The end result? Everything looked like plastic. But they got the hang of it eventually. And we got better looking games.

I understand that Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will RTRT. However, the main argument for the large price increase for the 20 series is RTRT.I don't care for how RTRT looks right now but others do and want to support the tech. Good for everyone involved, it just isn't my thing. If you look at history, the current breed of developers haven't been very swift in implementing revolutionary tech lately, see DX12. These cards will be obsolete before RTRT gets cranking the way it should.

At the end of the day, I honestly believe that the most impressive thing about the 20 series is extracting another 30% out of the node.

Now, this is a bit off topic, but I think it's pretty important to highlight. Unlike going from PS1.1 to 2.0 to 3.0 and other things we've had so far, ray tracing has the potential to make stuff like ambient occlusion obsolete. Many things so far were only being done to improve the realism, exactly because we couldn't ray trace. It will surely be years before we get there, but ray tracing is more disruptive than everything that came before it.

I agree with you 100% that I will be interesting to see how many of these other effects we can start dropping off that will help improve performance.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Shadows are not raytraced, only reflections are
So then, why are shadows different when only the DXR quality changes?

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Wrong, still a failure. Shadows can never be implemented. You're stuck with reflections that don't need RT (again, it's a marketing stunt). And perf is still crap.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I understand that Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will RTRT. However, the main argument for the large price increase for the 20 series is RTRT.I don't care for how RTRT looks right now but others do and want to support the tech. Good for everyone involved, it just isn't my thing. If you look at history, the current breed of developers haven't been very swift in implementing revolutionary tech lately, see DX12. These cards will be obsolete before RTRT gets cranking the way it should.

At the end of the day, I honestly believe that the most impressive thing about the 20 series is extracting another 30% out of the node.

I agree with all that, I'm pretty much in the same boat. In fact, I posted before that given that this can't be had at a reasonable price, releasing Turing as Quadro cards only would have made more sense. Because, price aside, clearly these are aimed at people wanting to get a feel of RTRT.

Wrong, still a failure. Shadows can never be implemented.
What does that mean?
You're stuck with reflections that don't need RT (again, it's a marketing stunt). And perf is still crap.
Actually, reflections are among the first things that benefit from ray tracing. Traditional rendering culls (almost) everything not in FOV so off screen objects can't reflect. But it's not like this was highlighted in tech demo videos, carry on.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Hello from France with 900€ a month (1017$ without ability to save a penny (minimal wedge is at 1149.07€/1298.45$ and cost of life is based on it)), economicaly developped doesn't mean better way of life for most people leaving in it, ask our president, citizens are showing him the difference every saturday since one month ;)

Hello from the real world where ultra high-end gaming is a luxury and not necessary for survival. For someone in your position, I would recommend on making sure you have quality food, drink (you have very nice wine available), and shelter available first and then I would focus on entertainment. Perhaps a console is much more beneficial to you as you could use it as an entertainment system like they are designed for now. If that doesn't float your boat, perhaps a GPU along the lines of an RX 570 or 1050ti. Either of those would out do a console.

System Name Current Rig
Processor Intel 12700K@5.1GHz
Motherboard MSI Pro Z790-P
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360mm
Memory 2x16GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio 6800 16GB
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Storm Striker
Power Supply Antec True Power 750w
Keyboard IBM Model 'M"
The sooner people understand that nVidia took GPUs designed specifically for datacenter workloads and only scrambled to try to figure out how to market them to gamers as an after-thought, the sooner you chumps who ponied up big $$ for their first generation junk can stop hoping for the promised land of nGreedia. Some intrepid soul at nVidia headquarters during a strategy meeting probably said: "I know! If we write a code wrapper, we can use the tensor cores to do primitive, slow real-time ray-tracing, but we can tell all the suckers who will buy anything we shovel that we 'painstakingly crafted the GPU to do real-time ray-tracing'! They'll actually believe that we designed Turing as a gaming GPU! They're so gullible, they'll actually THANK us for dumping our lower binned Turing chips that we couldn't sell to datacenters, onto them, and at eye-watering prices, too! We've actually managed to move the price tag of 'premium' gaming cards up from $300 just a few years ago, all the way up to $1,200 for an x80 Ti card, and now there are even saps who'll pay $2,500 for the ever-so-slightly faster Titan card line-up we created to dump the very tiny number of GPUs that aren't quite data-center quality, but are just that extra smidgeon less flawed than the x80 Ti chips!!" And guess what. It worked, as usual.

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
The sooner people understand that nVidia took GPUs designed specifically for datacenter workloads and only scrambled to try to figure out how to market them to gamers as an after-thought, the sooner you chumps who ponied up big $$ for their first generation junk can stop hoping for the promised land of nGreedia. Some intrepid soul at nVidia headquarters during a strategy meeting probably said: "I know! If we write a code wrapper, we can use the tensor cores to do primitive, slow real-time ray-tracing, but we can tell all the suckers who will buy anything we shovel that we 'painstakingly crafted the GPU to do real-time ray-tracing'! They'll actually believe that we designed Turing as a gaming GPU! They're so gullible, they'll actually THANK us for dumping our lower binned Turing chips that we couldn't sell to datacenters, onto them, and at eye-watering prices, too! We've actually managed to move the price tag of 'premium' gaming cards up from $300 just a few years ago, all the way up to $1,200 for an x80 Ti card, and now there are even saps who'll pay $2,500 for the ever-so-slightly faster Titan card line-up we created to dump the very tiny number of GPUs that aren't quite data-center quality, but are just that extra smidgeon less flawed than the x80 Ti chips!!" And guess what. It worked, as usual.

I think you need a hug, come here!

*hugs*

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
So, a 38% performance hit for this?..

The bloody thing looks like a 16x16 texture...

Indeed, the very latest iteration of the Frostbite engine, which AMD and the gang pimped earlier versions of.

Who folded the image into little squares before posting it.

Fun fact: they cut out, pictures and video linked already in the thread before your post.
He is probably running low DXR, on Ultra you don't see this.
And SO what if the cutting is only done to grass? You still have ray traced reflections for EVERYTHING ELSE! including smoke, particles, explosions and every object around you .. name a game that does even half of those quality reflections.

So AMD fanatics laught at RTX because of bad fps, but when the fps is good they laugh because they think IQ is bad! Guess what?! IQ is never bad with ray tracing, no matter what you do you still have an upgrade in IQ over no ray tracing .. but I guess that's something AMD fans will never get to experience soon.

Wrong, still a failure. Shadows can never be implemented. You're stuck with reflections that don't need RT (again, it's a marketing stunt). And perf is still crap.
Shadows can be RT'ed easily, Tomb Raider and Control are going to use RT shadows.
I really laugh at you NVIDIA haters, you just want to hate for the sake of it. 1440p60 with ray tracing is crap?! Go back to your pathetic SSR reflections on your vega 64 that barely even matches a 1080.

At the end of the video you see the other player model box completely block the RT reflection of the trucks. You can also see another player model run across in the background and he seams to have a cut off box effect infront of him as he makes his was across the scene in the reflection. The smoke/leaflets particles are also blocking the RT effect as well
That's because at the end of video he is expalining SSR reflection genius!!! ie with RTX off! My god some of you are just looking for FUD drama for the sake of it!

Last edited:
Cooling Deepcool LS-720
Storage Samsung PM9A1 (980 Pro OEM) + 960 Evo NVMe SSD + 830 SATA SSD + Toshiba & WD HDD's
Case Lian Li O11D Evo
Software Windows 11 Pro
He is probably running low DXR, on Ultra you don't see this.
And SO what if the cutting is only done to grass? You still have ray traced reflections for EVERYTHING ELSE! including smoke, particles, explosions and every object around you .. name a game that does even half of those quality reflections.
You do see it on Ultra since the update, since they switched them to SSRI in the update.
Where do you draw the line? First it was "rt reflections" now it's "rt reflections except for vegetation", how much more can we take out before it comes just a running joke? "rt reflections except for vegetation and cars"? "rt reflections except for vegetation, cars, character"? etc etc

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
So then, why are shadows different when only the DXR quality changes?
Shadows are not different with DXR quality changes. That screenshot is of a reflection (of the player model on the windshield). Why DICE does not do a more aggressive blur/filter on the reflections - especially on DXR Low - is beyond me.

You do see it on Ultra since the update, since they switched them to SSRI in the update.
No you don't, only on LOW.
Where do you draw the line? First it was "rt reflections" now it's "rt reflections except for vegetation", how much more can we take out before it comes just a running joke? "rt reflections except for vegetation and cars"? "rt reflections except for vegetation, cars, character"? etc etc
Really? is that your best line? running joke?! the joke is on AMD for not having the performance nor the quality that nVidia has right now.
and no, despite your cynicism, when the situation is only limited to only grass, it's quite an acceptable trade off. And looks way more better than Just SSR. dice wanted to a mix between the two since day one anyway.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Really? is that your best line? running joke?! the joke is on AMD for not having the performance nor the quality that nVidia has right now.
and no, despite your cynicism, when the situation is only limited to only grass, it's quite an acceptable trade off. And looks way more better than Just SSR. dice wanted to a mix between the two since day one anyway.
I will only say this: if you can't spot differences by looking at screenshots, then it really doesn't matter what's different. That's how computer graphics have always worked.

System Name SIGSEGV
Processor INTEL i7-7700K | AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard QUANTA | ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Air cooling 4 heatpipes | Corsair H115i | Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC Fan 3000RPM
Memory Micron 16 Gb DDR4 2400 | GSkill Ripjaws 32Gb DDR4 3200 3400(OC) 14-14-14-34 @1.38v
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1060 6GB | Gigabyte 1080Ti Aorus
Storage 1TB 7200/256 SSD PCIE | ~ TB | 970 Evo
Display(s) 15,5" / 27"
Case Black & Grey | Phanteks P400S
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Li Battery | Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse g402
Keyboard Leopold|Ducky
Software LinuxMint KDE |UBUNTU | Windows 10 PRO
Benchmark Scores i dont care about scores

This !

Cooling Deepcool LS-720
Case Lian Li O11D Evo
Software Windows 11 Pro
No you don't, only on LOW.
Since the update, yes, you do, vegetation is ssri no matter which settings you use.
Not just grass, other vegetation like leafs etc too. They may get to the hybrid mix spot at some point with them, but now it's just SSR which is part of why the solution is now faster

So every time one company releases something before the other or can't match the performance, the other becomes a joke. Sounds about right :rolleyes:

Not just grass, other vegetation like leafs etc too. They may get to the hybrid mix spot at some point with them, but now it's just SSR which is part of why the solution is now faster
No, you don't get to play this down. They WILL achieve the mix, because they stated they will, and no performance is massively up whether the area has grass or not.
other vegetation like leafs etc too.
Leafs were ignored by the ray tracer since day one.
So every time one company releases something before the other or can't match the performance, the other becomes a joke. Sounds about right :rolleyes:
Yeah exactly, especially when the fans of that company are lurking in the forums ridiculing every thing the leading company does.
And lets not kid ourselves here, AMD has always been behind nVidia. Since the days of HD2900 AMD never held the single GPU crown once. Now they are MASSIVELY behind on features quality and performance.

Cooling Deepcool LS-720
Case Lian Li O11D Evo
Software Windows 11 Pro
Vegetations were ignored by the ray tracer since day one.
View attachment 112006
That particular point was a known bug, that pond had all sorts of other issues too with the lighting and all. Post-patch the vegetation reflections are "fixed" in the sense that they appear in that particular spot too, but they're no longer raytraced and clip out when the object goes out of vision

That particular point was a known bug, that pond had all sorts of other issues too with the lighting and all. Post-patch the vegetation reflections are "fixed" in the sense that they appear in that particular spot too, but they're no longer raytraced and clip out when the object goes out of vision
They are still not fixed, the developer used SSR to render them until the original bug is fixed (Also the lighting bug is not fixed). Later when they implement the system which mixes SSR with ray tracing they will recieve the ray tracing treatment.

In essense, you were WRONG, the patch improved IQ, and didn't downgrade it in the slightest.