• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anything out there that can surpass my 10 year old Eizo HD2442W?

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390-A
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition PWM
Memory G.Skill DDR4 RipjawsV 3200MHz 16GB kit
Video Card(s) Asus RTX2060 ROG STRIX GAMING
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
Case Cooler Master MasterCase H500
Power Supply SUPER FLOWER Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
I bought my Eizo HD2442W back in 2008 for an astronomical $1100, which was an insane amount of cash to spend on a display back then. I needed a professional monitor for my graphics design career which is thankfully over now.

I bought it because they marketed it as something that is suitable for professional design, entertainment and gaming as well.
They didn't lie, it's grown on me so much that I feel genuine anxiety on the thought of getting a new monitor.
My house was flooded and humidity was around 60-80% for a few weeks which took it's toll on the display: Discoloration between/and beneath the plastic sheets, vibration in one corner and the service guy who took it apart told me the electronics had a strange white stoney substance on them, i'm pretty sure it's limescale. You can imagine the quality of this monitor if i'm still using it despite the above.

Times change, and the huge stains and 1080p are starting to become a drawback in gaming.

I obviously didn't follow the monitor market over the years, so I feel stranded with an immense task of replacing my Eizo.

Let me list the reasons why I think it will be hard replacing this monitor:
-I've been using it 12 hours a day, for 10 years and I had zero eye strain, it's incredibly good on the eyes. A friend borrowed me a samsung gaming monitor for a few days and my eyes hurt after 60 minutes. It was horrible.
-Black level: You can't imagine the rich black this monitor has. it was close, or even surpassed my old 19" Samsung CRT. The rich black was so obvious when playing horror games. I have to increase gamma to see stuff, because developers obviously designed their games for TN panels:)
-No eye strain during long gaming sessions despite 60Hz and 5ms response time.
-Colors so beautiful, I always got 100% accurate colors when printing my work at the professional CMYK press. As you might probably know, printing art with most monitors is like lottery.
-Absolutely no bleeding

I've been hearing news about new stuff like G-sync, 144Hz, and various new panel types, but i'm really lost here, no idea where to start. My Eizo has a PVA panel which apparently died out.

In regards to Eizo, their current line-up is not very appealing. They have one 27" gaming monitor that is insanely expensive and has Free-sync. (I'm a strict Nvidia guy)
All the other 27" monitors are for office use. I don't know what's going on over there, but they used to have more variety.

What I'm looking for is this:
-27"-32" inch 2,560x1,440 monitor that can easily be run with an RTX 2060
-rich blacks, rich "tonal reproduction" - this one is the most important
-rich colors
-Eye-friendly (stuff like 'no vibration when you close your eyes')
-144Hz
-G-sync? Do I really need this? Is it worth it? what's wrong with software V-sync besides the minor FPS hit?

Don't need fancy stuff like 1ms response rates and 10million dynamic contrast
Not a fan of TN panels

Can you guys suggest anything that comes close to my beloved HD2442W?
I don't have an unlimited budget, I would prefer something between $500-1100
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
If i was in your place i would keep it another 10 years.

Processor i5-9600K
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
If i was in your place i would keep it another 10 years.
is is really that bad?
I've been researching 1440p monitors in the last few days and all I see are overpriced trash tier panels with fancy gaming features
What am I going to do now, It's been my dream to play Metro Exodus on a 1440p monitor

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
is is really that bad?
I've been researching 1440p monitors in the last few days and all I see are overpriced trash tier panels with fancy gaming features
What am I going to do now, It's been my dream to play Metro Exodus on a 1440p monitor

You need to not look at gaming monitors but the professional line up, which Eizo still has on offer in many shapes and sizes, otherwise I'd look towards LG and Dell business/pro lines. The only difference would be the CCFL backlight, probably, which, just like back in the day, is going to be much more expensive. Native 10 bit panel, high static contrast and a very low deltaE color deviation are the things you'd want to emphasize on. Both IPS and VA panels can offer these qualities (in varying degrees, VA wins on contrast, IPS on accuracy). You can probably find them up to 75 hz refresh. HDR on monitors is still in its infancy, and the DisplayHDR standard is a complete load of BS, so don't bother with that (yet). If you want half-decent HDR you need to be looking at HDTVs instead.

Processor i5-9600K
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
You need to not look at gaming monitors but the professional line up, which Eizo still has on offer in many shapes and sizes, otherwise I'd look towards LG and Dell business/pro lines. The only difference would be the CCFL backlight, probably, which, just like back in the day, is going to be much more expensive. Native 10 bit panel, high static contrast and a very low deltaE color deviation are the things you'd want to emphasize on. Both IPS and VA panels can offer these qualities (in varying degrees, VA wins on contrast, IPS on accuracy). You can probably find them up to 75 hz refresh. HDR on monitors is still in its infancy, and the DisplayHDR standard is a complete load of BS, so don't bother with that (yet). If you want half-decent HDR you need to be looking at HDTVs instead.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer, i'm researching all of your suggestions.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
is is really that bad?

Looking at the market personally, no. There are some very good panels around. I just bought a LG 32GK850G-B today but that's a VA panel. IPS options more appropriate for your use case are all around, however.

However, you mention "Rich blacks" and VA excels at that...

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
Looking at the market personally, no. There are some very good panels around. I just bought a LG 32GK850G-B today but that's a VA panel. IPS options more appropriate for your use case are all around, however.

Are the rich blacks the ones who make a lot of green and live in nice houses? Sorry couldn't resist.

Processor i5-9600K
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10

congratz on your new monitor. did a quick research, apparently your LG has "black stabilizer" which sounds really nice.

I'm not really a panel expert, but I've read IPS has the best colors, but bad black level while -as you stated- VA has nice blacks but less impressive colors. Apparently only OLED will have all the nice features in one package. It's really confusing. And there aren't many places in my country to see the monitors live before purchase.

Also, I can't decide if this "kastriot" guy is a sad cynical troll, or not. I guess asking questions on the internet is a sin now. He's telling me to keep a 24" monitor for another 10 years while he's got a 32" one. Strange

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
congratz on your new monitor. did a quick research, apparently your LG has "black stabilizer" which sounds really nice.

I'm not really a panel expert, but I've read IPS has the best colors, but bad black level while -as you stated- VA has nice blacks but less impressive colors. Apparently only OLED will have all the nice features in one package. It's really confusing. And there aren't many places in my country to see the monitors live before purchase.

Also, I can't decide if this "kastriot" guy is a sad cynical troll, or not. I guess asking questions on the internet is a sin now. He's telling me to keep a 24" monitor for another 10 years while he's got a 32" one. Strange

VA color space is fine and color is more vibrant than on IPS (due to higher contrast) without oversaturation. But VA is not as accurate as IPS. If you dont do color critical work, VA is nice. If you do, check whether you can calibrate it properly.

As for kastriots comment: he has a valid point because older monitors have a tendency to be better in the things you like yours for. Todays budget IPS is a crapfest of IPS glow and meh contrast.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
To me I replace monitors when they fail

Processor i5-9600K
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
VA color space is fine and color is more vibrant than on IPS (due to higher contrast) without oversaturation. But VA is not as accurate as IPS. If you dont do color critical work, VA is nice. If you do, check whether you can calibrate it properly.

As for kastriots comment: he has a valid point because older monitors have a tendency to be better in the things you like yours for. Todays budget IPS is a crapfest of IPS glow and meh contrast.

Oh, i see. I guess im stupid and misunderstood him then.

As for VA: I don't need accurate colors anymore, but most of the games look gorgeous on my Eizo. I'm hopeful VA can come close to that in games.

Calibration: Do you mean hardware calibration or software calibration? Because I don't have access to hardware calibration tools. Good news If VA panels can be calibrated properly with software.

Sad to hear IPS has been dumbed down. It was pretty big back in 2008. I'm avoiding IPS then, by all means.

Thanks for your input

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED

I don't know, but personally, I spent way too much on this monitor (neccesity, my old lcd spontanously failed outside warranty).

I would wait until post "holiday pricing" if I had the ability.

PS: how important are viewing angles to you?

Processor i5-9600K
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
To me I replace monitors when they fail
Haha, I envy you.

I don't know, but personally, I spent way too much on this monitor (neccesity, my old lcd spontanously failed outside warranty).

I would wait until post "holiday pricing" if I had the ability.

PS: how important are viewing angles to you?

I can wait out the holidays for sure. Viewing angles? now that you mention it.. My Eizo's viewing angle is 360:) Might be hard to get accustomed to anything less but it's not that important. Let me guess: New monitors have abysmal viewing angles

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Haha, I envy you.

I can wait out the holidays for sure. Viewing angles? now that you mention it.. My Eizo's viewing angle is 360:) Might be hard to get accustomed to anything less but it's not that important. Let me guess: New monitors have abysmal viewing angles

Not so much new monitors, but more VA has what they call "color shift" which makes it suffer there. IPS is still pretty solid.

I'm fond of this tool for choosing a monitor, followed by reviews ofc:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/selector.htm

This article is also helpful for understanding what is available:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

I miss plasma displays. Would use mine longer if it did not eat 400W on average.

Processor i5-9600K
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
Not so much new monitors, but more VA has what they call "color shift" which makes it suffer there. IPS is still pretty solid.

I'm fond of this tool for choosing a monitor, followed by reviews ofc:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/selector.htm

This article is also helpful for understanding what is available:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

I miss plasma displays. Would use mine longer if it did not eat 400W on average.

Brilliant, thanks for the links!
Plasma displays? I thought they only made those for TVs. Forget the past, I think you bought a pretty good monitor that will last you until OLED displays become standard:)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Plasma displays? I thought they only made those for TVs.

Yep. When your monitor breaks you get a bit desperate, and well, a 42" tv as a monitor does technically work. :laugh:

Plasmas too biggest sins were being big (tech only made it down to around 42") and hot. But they were pretty good at color/contrast.

Processor i5-9600K
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
Yep. When your monitor breaks you get a bit desperate, and well, a 42" tv as a monitor does technically work. :laugh:

Plasmas too biggest sins were being big (tech only made it down to around 42") and hot. But they were pretty good at color/contrast.

Haha, I myself have a 22" kitchen TV that I consider as desperate backup, thank god I was spared until now. A family member used to have a huge plasma Tv that developed a giant green spot right in the middle, incurable so into the trash it went.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
+1 on TFTcentral. Great review source.

My panel is an Eizo VA, the FG2421. The review on tftcentral gives a good impression of its pros and cons (also for VA in general). I'm still very, very happy with it, most notably the static contrast (5000:1, as opposed to IPS that caps at about 1000:1). High refresh rate is another thing, for gaming and especially on VA, this is something that is worth a look as well. The tone shift towards the edges of the screen is there, but hardly noticeable, and at typical viewing distance virtually invisible (but, as most people I tend to bend towards the screen over longer sessions).

Keep in mind no single panel tech is perfect. OLED gets close but in its current state is not applied in the monitor space because it does suffer from burn in, which can be problematic in certain use cases (not gaming).

One last thing: always buy at a shop where you can return the monitor if you don't like it. There is such a thing as panel lottery, differences do exist, especially on VA. But if you find a good one, its hard to beat.

EDIT: about calibration, software can get you far enough on most panels. But some of them simply can't get accurate enough, because they have a screwed up gamma curve (you will always oversaturate or crush certain tones). Here's a great website for a quick and dirty calibration: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Last edited:
Processor i5-9600K
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
As a fellow 24" Eizo owner, have you ever felt the need to upgrade to 27"+?

The urge yes, but then I see pricing of 27 inch 1440p 120hz> VA ;) The need? No. Especially not for gaming, the only reason I'd want it is for better immersion, but that is very relative and abstract.

System Name SloMo
Processor G4560
Motherboard MSi H110-PRO-D
Cooling LC-CC-95 @ Arctic Cooling fan
Memory 2X Crucial DDR4 2400 4GB
Video Card(s) Integrated HD 610
Storage WD 500 GB + Seagate 500 GB + Toshiba 3 TB
Display(s) Lenovo D221
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) Manhattan Flex BT Headphones, Encore P-801 stereo speakers
Power Supply Corsair CX450M
Mouse microsoft office mouse
Keyboard Modecom mc-800m
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores gorstak @ hwbot.org
X3272UHS-B1
X4071UHSU-B1

these are two iiyamas I'd consider

Processor i5-9600K
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
pricing of 27 inch 1440p 120hz> VA ;)

I agree, i'm not very fond of spending 1000k on a monitor right now, especially since i'm about to upgrade my complete 2014 PC setup at the worst time, when 20 series Nvidia is still fresh and expensive, as well as Intel who pressed the retarded prices button recently.

I started looking at used Eizo monitors like EV2736W and SX2762W. Saw a bunch of them going for 150$. Those monitors are made with the still good type of IPS panels. Seems to me that it's a bad time upgrading to new 27"+, there might be a huge leap tech and price wise soon

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I agree, i'm not very fond of spending 1000k on a monitor right now, especially since i'm about to upgrade my complete 2014 PC setup at the worst time, when 20 series Nvidia is still fresh and expensive, as well as Intel who pressed the retarded prices button recently.

I started looking at used Eizo monitors like EV2736W and SX2762W. Saw a bunch of them going for 150$. Those monitors are made with the still good type of IPS panels. Seems to me that it's a bad time upgrading to new 27"+, there might be a huge leap tech and price wise soon

If there's a second hand in good condition at a low price, why not. But monitors do age, they lose brightness/definition over a (long) time.

Upgrading your rig right now? I'd wait till at least January. Let the holidays pass.

Processor i5-9600K
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
X3272UHS-B1
X4071UHSU-B1

these are two iiyamas I'd consider

Panel VA LED
Native resolution 3840 x 2160 @60Hz
Aspect ratio16:9
Brightness 300 cd/m² typical
Static contrast 3000:1 typical
Response time 3ms
Colour support1.07B 10bit (8bit + Hi-FRC) (sRGB: 137%, NTSC: 97%)

pretty impressive for a 500$ price tag. But you need a 1070 or 2070 to run it properly which I can't really afford. Just checked the 1440p IIyamas but they are pretty bad, only 1000:1 static contrast and no 10bit colour

If there's a second hand in good condition at a low price, why not. But monitors do age, they lose brightness/definition over a (long) time.

Upgrading your rig right now? I'd wait till at least January. Let the holidays pass.

One of the EV2736W that sold had 3k hours in it, which is pretty nice. My Eizo has 37k or more and I can't really complain.
Of course not, I have time until end of February, that's when Metro: Exodus gets released:)

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64