• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core i5-9600K

Man seriously stop testing with the SuperPi.
That's a 1995 software with no applicability in the real world, not even for PI calculations as there are better and multi-threaded software for this.
Also the build available on the internet is heavily biased towards Intel cpus, maybe some compile flags, or instruction sequence, I don't know, but it doesn't help provide an objective and impartial view especially when comparing between vendors.

btw, i'm typing from an intel machine, and even I'm blown away by the graph which shows energy consumption based on this 23 years old software and which shows how intel is 2 times more efficient .... it is just misleading, there is no other modern software which shows such a difference. Use cinebech also for single thread since anyway you use it for multi thread.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
And what about the "hardware fixes"? What % of lost performance did it gain back compared to the so called previous gen CPUs without the "fixes"?

Man seriously stop testing with the SuperPi.
That's a 1995 software with no applicability in the real world, not even for PI calculations as there are better and multi-threaded software for this.
Also the build available on the internet is heavily biased towards Intel cpus, maybe some compile flags, or instruction sequence, I don't know, but it doesn't help provide an objective and impartial view especially when comparing between vendors.

btw, i'm typing from an intel machine, and even I'm blown away by the graph which shows energy consumption based on this 23 years old software and which shows how intel is 2 times more efficient .... it is just misleading, there is no other modern software which shows such a difference. Use cinebech also for single thread since anyway you use it for multi thread.

There is so much to talk about in this review...

First, SuperPi is an Intel friendly benchmark only used to show non-Intel products in a bad light, and commonly used to give skewed power efficiency numbers, which heavily favour Intel. When I see it used in a review, and its results used to unfairly critique, then I normally will next look for Intel ads, or ads featuring Intel products running on the page, then read no further. WinZIP (amazingly not included here) is another example of this, and is heavily optimized by Intel, for Intel. LAME has not been in active development for god knows how many years, and it's core is ancient, and only optimized for Intel, WinRAR is questionable due to no optimization or much of any kind for that matter for AMD or Intel, Adobe is paid by Intel, and is optimized for them, as is Microsoft (wIntel).

And who plays games on a near $300 CPU at 720p? These results, and their inclusion here are questionable when taken in context, and are only there due to a minor weakness in the Ryzen design, and would never be a thing in the real world, but they sure do make Intel look great, so you can see why they are included.. It must be a fantastic, amazing experience to game at 20% higher FPS at 720p! I only miss the 640x480 results, that would have been a real smash for Intel, and would really scare many potential AMD customers away, and would certainly make my buying choice that much more easier... "...the 720p performance that concerns us. Sure, you'll probably never game at 720p, but numbers obtained at that resolution highlight the minimum FPS the machine is capable of in a scenario where the GPU is not a bottleneck." Why are you concerned, and more importantly, why should I, or anyone else be? I game at 1440p, and simply don't care about a 2.5% FPS difference, as it's imperceivable, I am currently looking at going to 4K for my next monitor, not back to 720p... I don't know of anyone queuing up at the local second hand store, trying to buy a 15 year old HD Ready TVs to game on... I hope this is a mistake in the reviewers thought process, rather than this site spreading Intel sponsored FUD...

Anyway, you can see that most modern software (excluding games, which are often still sponsored and therefore optimized by, or for Intel) is not like this, and is shown in the results in this test. When you see a slow, low core count i3 Intel CPUs beating a 2700x, then you have to look at what the software is, who it is coded by, and whether Intel has ever used it in any of their marketing before. And you really have to question why old software, written many years before the hardware was even a dream, is used to tell people to buy a product, or not....... Ethics anyone?

Most of this goes back to the days where Intel was paying huge sums of money to make AMD look as bad as possible, and some of it is still going on today.

If AMD do manage to include the new x2 speed improvements for arithmetic functions in their upcoming CPUs for the desktop, then it will be interesting to see how that will affect Intel optimized software in favour of brute force speed improvements from AMD in many of these benchmarks. Ryzen 3xxx will be interesting, to say the least.

Last edited:
System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
And what about the "hardware fixes"? What % of lost performance did it gain back compared to the so called previous gen CPUs without the "fixes"?

There is so much to talk about in this review...

First, SuperPi is an Intel friendly benchmark only used to show non-Intel products in a bad light, and commonly used to give skewed power efficiency numbers, which heavily favour Intel. When I see it used in a review, and its results used to unfairly critique, then I normally will next look for Intel ads, or ads featuring Intel products running on the page, then read no further. WinZIP (amazingly not included here) is another example of this, and is heavily optimized by Intel, for Intel. LAME has not been in active development for god knows how many years, and it's core is ancient, and only optimized for Intel, WinRAR is questionable due to no optimization or much of any kind for that matter for AMD or Intel, Adobe is paid by Intel, and is optimized for them, as is Microsoft (wIntel).

And who plays games on a near $300 CPU at 720p? These results, and their inclusion here are questionable when taken in context, and are only there due to a minor weakness in the Ryzen design, and would never be a thing in the real world, but they sure do make Intel look great, so you can see why they are included.. It must be a fantastic, amazing experience to game at 20% higher FPS at 720p! I only miss the 640x480 results, that would have been a real smash for Intel, and would really scare many potential AMD customers away, and would certainly make my buying choice that much more easier... "...the 720p performance that concerns us. Sure, you'll probably never game at 720p, but numbers obtained at that resolution highlight the minimum FPS the machine is capable of in a scenario where the GPU is not a bottleneck." Why are you concerned, and more importantly, why should I, or anyone else be? I game at 1440p, and simply don't care about a 2.5% FPS difference, as it's imperceivable, I am currently looking at going to 4K for my next monitor, not back to 720p... I don't know of anyone queuing up at the local second hand store, trying to buy a 15 year old HD Ready TVs to game on... I hope this is a mistake in the reviewers thought process, rather than this site spreading Intel sponsored FUD...

Anyway, you can see that most modern software (excluding games, which are often still sponsored and therefore optimized by, or for Intel) is not like this, and is shown in the results in this test. When you see a slow, low core count i3 Intel CPUs beating a 2700x, then you have to look at what the software is, who it is coded by, and whether Intel has ever used it in any of their marketing before. And you really have to question why old software, written many years before the hardware was even a dream, is used to tell people to buy a product, or not....... Ethics anyone?

Most of this goes back to the days where Intel was paying huge sums of money to make AMD look as bad as possible, and some of it is still going on today.

If AMD do manage to include the new x2 speed improvements for arithmetic functions in their upcoming CPUs for the desktop, then it will be interesting to see how that will affect Intel optimized software in favour of brute force speed improvements from AMD in many of these benchmarks. Ryzen 3xxx will be interesting, to say the least.
guess it'd still be better with w1zzards imperfect methodology than it'd be through your red glasses
If all single-thread heavy applications are paid by intel,then why don't you mention all those amd shills writing multi threaded ones.
ridiculous person.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
guess it'd still be better with w1zzards imperfect methodology than it'd be through your red glasses
If all single-thread heavy applications are paid by intel,then why don't you mention all those amd shills writing multi threaded ones.
ridiculous person.
Triggered much? I couldn't care less about how, why and what you spend your money on. I feel sorry for you that you are so willing to use "imperfect methodology" to steer your financial decisions, but hey, we are all different, thank god.

Red glasses? Nope, no glasses here. I'm impartial, unlike this review. Infact where did I state anything which is not on record, and not in the public domain? Go Google, learn, if at all possible...

Oh, and I would love to see what this "AMD shills writing multi threaded" applications/benchmarks is/are all about? I take it they are not used in this review, as I'm pretty sure an Intel CPU one every single test, apart from two games, at a particular resolution, so are those games what you are talking about?

And, for the record, I'm an Intel guy, using an Intel system. However, I will say that I'm waiting for Zen2 to come out before building my new system later this year. So reviews, especially impartial ones, are very important to me at the moment, while I make my mind up. This is my motivation, backed by years of experience and knowledge in and of the industry. I simply pick the best hardware available at the time, I have no loyalty to one company, or the other. But if this makes me a "ridiculous person", then I'm quite happy with that.

Last edited:
System Name Dreamstation2
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus
Cooling Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) Aorus 2080 Ti Turbo (sounds like a vaccum cleaner at full load)
Storage 2 x 1TB M.2 NVME + 1TB 2.5" SSD
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 32" 4k
Case NZXT H500i
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U3 / Audio-Technica ATH-M50x / Edifier R1855DB
Power Supply Corsair TX650M
Mouse Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
After analyzing the review, with all its cons and pros, noted by other posters (from both pro-Intel and pro-AMD camps), I'd say that after the excellent i5-2500K and i7-2600K and so many years, Intel finally released a pair of CPUs that are really good (except for bragging rights, 9900K is for that, if you want to encode videos or render 3D, both Intel and AMD have you covered with capable HEDT platforms).
The 9700K + 9600K duo is for all of us gamers/enthusiasts that don't have money to burn, a nice reply to the new AMD Ryzen competition.

Even considering the 9600K an excellent proposition, i'd go for Zen2 (Ryzen 3XXX) for my next build. Ever since the 386/486/Pentium/K6/Athlon days I was an AMD(CPU) + Nvidia(GPU) guy, and now i can finally have that combo again, pairing my current 1080 with Ryzen 3XXX when it comes out.

System Name Purple rain
Cooling Noctua D15S
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
Triggered much? I couldn't care less about how, why and what you spend your money on. I feel sorry for you that you are so willing to use "imperfect methodology" to steer your financial decisions, but hey, we are all different, thank god.

Red glasses? Nope, no glasses here. I'm impartial, unlike this review. Infact where did I state anything which is not on record, and not in the public domain? Go Google, learn, if at all possible...

Oh, and I would love to see what this "AMD shills writing multi threaded" applications/benchmarks is/are all about? I take it they are not used in this review, as I'm pretty sure an Intel CPU one every single test, apart from two games, at a particular resolution, so are those games what you are talking about?

And, for the record, I'm an Intel guy, using an Intel system. However, I will say that I'm waiting for Zen2 to come out before building my new system later this year. So reviews, especially impartial ones, are very important to me at the moment, while I make my mind up. This is my motivation, backed by years of experience and knowledge in and of the industry. I simply pick the best hardware available at the time, I have no loyalty to one company, or the other.
lol,am I the one to write a tirade on how this site is shilling for intel ?
I too am waiting for zen 2 too, and I too do not ever make my choice based on tpu reviews. the difference is that it doesn't spur me to write such nonsense.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12S
Memory 32GB @ 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT
Storage WD Black SN850(1TB), WD Black NVMe 2018(500GB), WD Blue SATA(2TB)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G9
Case Be Quiet! Silent Base 802
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME-GX-1000
ridiculous person.

My issue is really only with SuperPi. It's extremely old & outdated code, and doesn't even really test single threaded performance. You can see this by the much lower clocked G4560 being faster than a 2700x. That's a 3.5ghz Intel CPU that's faster than a 4.3ghz AMD CPU.

System Name Purple rain
Cooling Noctua D15S
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
My issue is really only with SuperPi. It's extremely old & outdated code, and doesn't even really test single threaded performance. You can see this by the much lower clocked G4560 being faster than a 2700x. That's a 3.5ghz Intel CPU that's faster than a 4.3ghz AMD CPU.
irrelevant test indeed,though my point was taking this superpi result and claiming the whole review is anti-AMD is ridiculous,adoredTV-grade thinking.
a non-HT hexacore at 4.5-4.8GHz with slightly better IPC should be overall faster than a 4GHz hexacore with SMT,and this is what the review proves. Nothing conspiratory in here to report,though not for everyone apparently.

Last edited:
Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
I'm holding off for the coffee lake - X i5-9640X, it gets a 100mhz bump and the privilege of purchasing a motherboard twice the cost of the Z390

System Name Massi
Processor Intel i5 10600K, 6 core @5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 GAMING X
Cooling Corsair H115i PRO 280mm
Memory Corsair 16GB DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus 5700 XT OC 8GB
Storage 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Asus 27" PG278QR TN LED 1ms, 2560x1440, 165hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 450D, Noctua fans in front, up, and back
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200
Power Supply Corsair RM850X 850W
Mouse Asus Gladius Optical Gaming
Keyboard Black, Asus
Software Windows 10
just bought this CPU. have a Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI and 16GB DDR4 3600Mhz. i only play FPS games so i'm hoping this will do for a while. hoping too get 5Ghz overclock with Noctua NH-U14S, 140mm.

Later i will upgrade too 8 core / 16 threads CPU and 280mm AIO cooler. very good futureproof motherboard so i'm fine for some time :)

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
just bought this CPU. have a Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI and 16GB DDR4 3600Mhz. i only play FPS games so i'm hoping this will do for a while. hoping too get 5Ghz overclock with Noctua NH-U14S, 140mm.

Later i will upgrade too 8 core / 16 threads CPU and 280mm AIO cooler. very good futureproof motherboard so i'm fine for some time :)
Any current processor will be fine for FPS games for several years easily. You will be fine.

System Name Massi
Keyboard Black, Asus
Software Windows 10
got 5 Ghz @ 1.4v easy. ..Noctua NH-U14S 140mm, and 2x Noctua 140mm front intake.. idle @ 35c° full load under stress all cores 60-62c°

Soldered TIM doing it's job :)

i5 9600K.jpg

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
got 5 Ghz @ 1.4v easy. ..Noctua NH-U14S 140mm, and 2x Noctua 140mm front intake.. idle @ 35c° full load under stress all cores 60-62c°

Soldered TIM doing it's job :)

View attachment 114128

Nice temps! Did you test with an AVX load as well? Can recommend, so you see what the temps top out at. I can assure you its not going to be 62 C :) And, yes, AVX loads happen even in gaming.

IntelBurnTest or OCCT are good ones to use for maximum stress.

System Name Massi
Keyboard Black, Asus
Software Windows 10
Nice temps! Did you test with an AVX load as well? Can recommend, so you see what the temps top out at. I can assure you its not going to be 62 C :) And, yes, AVX loads happen even in gaming.

IntelBurnTest or OCCT are good ones to use for maximum stress.

How do i do AVX load test ? just never heard of it.. is it a bios setting ?

And no.. it's. 5 Ghz. constant unparked cores, all @ 5 Ghz. promise... tell me about this AVX load ?..

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
How do i do AVX load test ? just never heard of it.. is it a bios setting ?

And no.. it's. 5 Ghz. unparked cores, all @ 5 Ghz. promise... tell me about this AVX load ?..

Get this
http://www.ocbase.com/

And run this - check all the settings I've underlined as well; 64 bit, large data set, and thread count equal to your CPU core/thread count.

AVX is an instruction set and it creates super heavy load, but also accelerates code in a big way. We're seeing more and more AVX code in all sorts of applications so its quite neat to know you can run it as stable as anything else.

Apart from that OCCT is a fantastic stress test/monitoring app anyway :)

As far as BIOS settings are concerned, AVX is so heavy that your BIOS has an option to reduce the CPU multiplier when it detects AVX loads as well. Only use that if you really need to; so if OCCT gives crashes, you may want to use an AVX offset of -1 or -2.

If your OC can survive 15 minutes of OCCT, you can consider it pretty stable in my experience.

1546867399984.png

System Name Massi
Keyboard Black, Asus
Software Windows 10
Get this
http://www.ocbase.com/

And run this - check all the settings I've underlined as well; 64 bit, large data set, and thread count equal to your CPU core/thread count.

AVX is an instruction set and it creates super heavy load, but also accelerates code in a big way. We're seeing more and more AVX code in all sorts of applications so its quite neat to know you can run it as stable as anything else.

Apart from that OCCT is a fantastic stress test/monitoring app anyway :)

View attachment 114150

Jesus what is that ? it went too 100C° instantly and crashed ! :/ .. all games and prime 95 works for me.. what is this stuff.. like made my computer melt.. no stability there.. but this is like torture for the computer.. no real application ? im not trying too like i5 9600K isn't stable under 5 Ghz. but not on this stuff.. :/

is there a bios setting for this ?

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Jesus what is that ? it went too 100C° instantly and crashed ! :/ .. all games and prime 95 works for me.. what is this stuff.. like made my computer melt.. no stability there.. but this is like torture for the computer.. no real application ? im not trying too like i5 9600K isn't stable under 5 Ghz. but not on this stuff.. :/

is there a bios setting for this ?

That is what 1.4V does in real CPU loads, and not some weak bench like the one you ran :) Its nothing special, really.

Here's my 8700K under 1.31V

Back to the drawing board, for you ;) You should try to reduce voltages.

And yes there is a BIOS setting, AVX Offset. You can use a -1 or -2 offset and that will make the CPU run 4.9 or 4.8 Ghz when it detects AVX. This in turn will allow you to lower the voltage as well, while keeping 5 Ghz for other loads.

1546867947548.png

Another few ways to lower the temps:

- use an offset instead of fixed voltage for Vcore
- lower VCCIO and VCCSA voltages (you can safely drop to 1.1V, often lower, unless you have very exotic, high clocked RAM or populate 4/4 DIMMs)

Last edited:
System Name Massi
Keyboard Black, Asus
Software Windows 10
K.. im not going too do it.. this program is some kind of demon stuff.. never going too be used in real life application.. =) .. but i'll try it soon.. but my motto is.. "don't fix what isn't broken" ..this torture progam is just insane !

got my CPU week ago, i'll figure this out. but i want want 5 Ghz stable.. thats it ! ..also, how doe's AVX get better FPS in games.. dont and wont never use it i guess.. . its just some torture too make your computer freeze !

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
K.. im not going too do it.. this program is some kind of demon stuff.. never going too be used in real life application.. =) .. but i'll try it soon.. but my motto is.. "don't fix what isn't broken" ..this torture progam is just insane !

No its not insane, this is what overclocking means. If you're not running your CPU at full stress, you're not overclocking, you're just doing some random stuff with BIOS settings and hope it works. AVX loads DO happen, what do you want? Instability or a slightly lower clock... Games will also never fully stress a 9600K, so them running stable tells you nothing at all. But a few years down the line?

If you're hitting 100 C right now with a soldered CPU - and not over time, but instantly like you did - its a clear sign that you are using too much voltage right now. That will bite you in the ass. Come summer, and you can enjoy your BSODs.

System Name Massi
Keyboard Black, Asus
Software Windows 10
K.. i'll look at the bios now .. give me a minute =)

i thoght 1.4v was i little bit high too.. try 1.3 and AVX ?

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
K.. i'll look at the bios now .. give me a minute =)

You can PM if you need further help, let's not derail this topic :D

Note: I had to back down as well, 5 Ghz wasn't happening, settled for 4.8 with much lower voltages... I had my 100 C moment last summer.

i thoght 1.4v was i little bit high too.. try 1.3 and AVX ?

1.3 for 5Ghz @ 8 cores is optimistic. Its best to slowly work your way up or down, and seeing as you hit 100 C, you might want to start with 1.3V instead but then just all-core 4.8 Ghz. If that works, try 4.9. This also gives you a good idea about how voltages influence temperatures.

Its a good idea to write down what settings you tried. Excel is great for that.

Last edited:
System Name Massi
Keyboard Black, Asus
Software Windows 10
been in bios.. dl OCCT now.. will test.

Nope wont go. tortures my system too much... to much voltage ?.. i have good cooling.. what's keeping me off ?

ok.. lowering voltage to. 1.3V

K i'm done.. not messing with AVX =/ ...games and everything works fine.. this is just some monster test of a thing..... just put it too 0 .. should it be lower or higher ?

Last edited:
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
been in bios.. dl OCCT now.. will test.

Nope wont go. tortures my system too much... to much voltage ?.. i have good cooling.. what's keeping me off ?

ok.. lowering voltage to. 1.3V

K i'm done.. not messing with AVX =/ ...games and everything works fine.. this is just some monster test of a thing..... just put it too 0 .. should it be lower or higher ?

You don't mess with AVX - it messes with you :D Its not like you've got a choice here, if an application uses AVX your CPU will use it. When it does, it WILL push 1.4V through and your temps will skyrocket. Facts.

If you want to keep your coveted 5 Ghz, use an AVX Offset of -2 or -3, and perhaps try 1.32-1.33V. Should be pretty close. You can also check Loadline calibration. If your voltage peaks when you start the run and you immediately hit 100 C, you may have to lower (loosen) your LLC setting.

OCCT produces a series of graphs at the end of every run. That will also give you a good impression of your LLC setting's behaviour and vcore under load:

This bump is probably much more pronounced with your setup and that is what's killing you

1546870228963.png

Some more background on AVX:

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...-applications-are-using-avx-and-avx2.2498660/

1546870541189.png
1546870601872.png

1546870807824.png

Last edited:
System Name Massi
Keyboard Black, Asus
Software Windows 10
Not working for me.. sorry.. 5 Ghz @ 1.4v will be it for me.. if a game chrashes or something alse will fall i figure it out.. but this AVX is just torture thing on the CPU. guess i hope i never see it in real application :)

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Not working for me.. sorry.. 5 Ghz @ 1.4v will be it for me.. if a game chrashes or something alse will fall i figure it out.. but this AVX is just torture thing on the CPU. guess i hope i never see it in real application :)

You should be wondering why 5 Ghz is so important at all, instead. But, to each his own. Now you know your OC has an 'expiry date: Unknown'

What will you do when your first game crashes? Chalk it up to the OC? Maybe its a game being weird... think about this for awhile :)

Besides, its not even about AVX in your case, its about the fact your cooling cannot handle 1.4V. Voltage is voltage, regardless of the instruction set the CPU uses. Its clear you can't keep 1.4V under control - and its January... not August.