• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

In need of a new Computer Desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Processor Intel i5-12400F
Motherboard Asus Prime H610M-A WIFI D4
Memory CORSAIR VENGENCE 16GB LPX DDR4 3200MHZ
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) MSi Optix 27" 1440p 144hz + MSI OPTIX 27" 1440P 165HZ
Case COOLER MASTER MB320L ARGB
Power Supply Corsair cv650
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent
Software Windows 11 PRO
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
"Build it and they will come"

Unless you can find one that includes free shipping, you would be better off building it yourself, or at least buying one locally....

Monitor arms are a dime a dozen, but it's the attachment method that really matters. The best being screwing them solidly into the wall studs behind and above the desk itself, the worst being a flimsy screw plate that clamps onto the back of the desk surface.... the latter will barely hold 1 monitor let alone 2 :)

Just need to be sure your monitors have the correct mounting hole spacing to match the arms or vice-versa....

Not a huge fan of this kind of purpose-built PC desks. They remind me what people used to buy for kids in the 90s.
Why not buy a normal desk with no moving parts that can break? :)

Also, the desk you've linked is 50cm deep. I see that very often lately.
How do people live with such narrow workspace?

Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage 1TB SSD
Mouse Logitech G203
Software Windows 11 PRO
Not a huge fan of this kind of purpose-built PC desks. They remind me what people used to buy for kids in the 90s.
Why not buy a normal desk with no moving parts that can break? :)

Also, the desk you've linked is 50cm deep. I see that very often lately.
How do people live with such narrow workspace?

50cm deep is the max i can go really due to the position it is in the living room.

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Splurge and buy nice but functional office furniture. This stuff is pushing 20 years old and still looks great.

Desk.jpg

Some looks kids stuff. Other's look like they belong on a shop floor or maybe a classroom or dorm room.

I bought mine so it looks nice in my home office. Yeah, it cost more up front, but again - it is nearly 20 years old, still looks nice, contemporary and I see no reason it won't last another 20 years. So in the long run, it is cheaper to pay more now than to pay again later, and then pay again a couple more times because cheap stuff will fall apart.

Splurge and buy nice but functional office furniture. This stuff is pushing 20 years old and still looks great.

View attachment 114700
Well, I won't discuss looks since that's subjective.
But the desk you have is clearly far from "office furniture". :-D
And far from being ergonomic as well.
IKEA Linnmon is possibly the most popular top globally. :)
I use it as well. But they make it in sizes more suitable for notebooks (well... that's what most people use).
So you either get the 150x75cm (like I did) or choose a different top. As you said, quite a lot of people go for IKEA kitchen offer (many nice colours, splash-proof and so on :))
50cm deep is the max i can go really due to the position it is in the living room.
You have a moving keyboard shelf, right? So when you're using the PC, the desk takes more than 50cm anyway.
It's just that a normal desk (solid top, 70cm+ deep) is way more flexible and usable than a keyboard drawer. And way more ergonomic (healthier). Just think about it.
If nothing can be done... well... with an LCD arm you should still manage with a simple top.
Drawers are for keeping pencils. ;-)

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Dont buy that crap. Find a local state auction, fire sale office surplus and get something nice and sturdy with an industrial keyboard tray
Ive bought a few desks that were worth quite a bit for cheap

I bought a desk like this with a $200 tray on it for $25

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178884

I use a ikea Mike desk + a wooden one my friend was throwing out to make use of all the space near the wall : )

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Well, I won't discuss looks since that's subjective.
But the desk you have is clearly far from "office furniture". :-D
And far from being ergonomic as well.
Totally false on both "subjective assumptions". First, it is a desk. Desks are furniture. And this desk is designed to go into an office. Therefore, it clearly is "office furniture". It even has a two drawer filing cabinet built in, under the right side "L" extension.

Second, you may not have noticed, but it has a keyboard tray that puts the keyboard and mouse in the perfect height (for me - along with my adjustable "office" chair) ergonomically to avoid RSI injuries on my wrists, neck, shoulders and back. And with height adjustable monitors, they too are ergonomically positioned to avoid RSI issues.

Totally false on both "subjective assumptions". First, it is a desk. Desks are furniture. And this desk is designed to go into an office. Therefore, it clearly is "office furniture". It even has a two drawer filing cabinet built in, under the right side "L" extension.
Well, no. Yes, it's a desk. But no, it's not something you see in offices today. And in countries with strong work safety regulations: something you may not be allowed to use in a workplace. Seriously.
Second, you may not have noticed, but it has a keyboard tray that puts the keyboard and mouse in the perfect height (for me - along with my adjustable "office" chair) ergonomically to avoid RSI injuries on my wrists, neck, shoulders and back. And with height adjustable monitors, they too are ergonomically positioned to avoid RSI issues.
Actually what you're talking about is what ergonomics was suggesting 20-40 years ago. And it was all true back then.
Of course, your keyboard tray is on the perfect level, because that's how it was designed. But it simply means that the top is too high.
And you still use the top for other stuff you often reach for: books, notes, food, drinks and so on. So you're frequently operating on 2 levels instead of one. And that's not good.

The reason why desks used to look this way is very simple: CRT monitors. They were large, heavy and usually without any vertical adjustment. You needed a large and strong top to hold them and, ideally, a keyboard tray a bit lower.

The problem with keyboard trays TODAY is that you end up with the keyboard and mouse being below the top - on a limited space. And the large top is wasted. That's why PC desks evolved from tops with drawers:
|__|________

You know... ergonomics is a serious scientific discipline (I can suggest some books or publications if you want). Some really smart people are spending their lives designing comfortable and efficient working positions. And if you've ever seen a modern office, I'm sure you know it doesn't look like yours. :p

And in case someone decides to mock me because I work in finance and we have white, sterile offices (which is true, BTW), here is Ubisoft:

Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage 1TB SSD
Mouse Logitech G203
Software Windows 11 PRO
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
thinking something like this...
To me that is more like a computer table than a desk. And it is a computer table, rather than just a plain table because it has a hole for cables. And that's fine if that is what you want. But with no storage places, it seems before long, it could become cluttered with stuff - not the best look for a living room.

What is your budget? Knowing this is important for us to recommend something appropriate for you needs. And are you okay with something you have to assemble yourself?

How big (besides large enough for two monitors) are you looking for? Must it also hold a printer? If so, what about extra printer paper? What about your network gear? Do you already have a place to store disks? Extra power supply cables? A phone? Thumb drives (that table does not even have a small drawer to put a pencil or pen)? Where are you planning to put the computer itself? On the floor? Do you have an UPS?

50cm (19.7inches) deep really puts some limits on your options. But I note that table you suggested is 63cm (or 24.8inches) deep. So what really is your limit? And how wide can it be?

What about something like this? No keyboard tray but you might be able to add one, or with a good chair, adjust your own height to protect your wrists. If no height adjustment for your monitor(s), you might be able to use a phone book or ream of paper to get the right monitor to eye level position (this is why my monitors MUST have height adjustment stands). Where that white basket is on the right you might be able to put your tower (though if there is a back to the desk, I recommend removing it for air ventilation - that's what I did with my desk).

Well, no. Yes, it's a desk. But no, it's not something you see in offices today. And in countries with strong work safety regulations: something you may not be allowed to use in a workplace. Seriously.
Sorry but that is a very tunnel-visioned look at all this. Have you never heard of a home office? How many small business offices use computer desks like the OPs? That is more for an industrial environment. Functional, true. But appropriate for his living room?

Did the OP said he works in a cubical? No. Did the OP even say the replacement desk was for his place of work? No. In fact, he said it is going in his living room.

As for your ergonomics assessment, all I can say there is :roll:! You are passing judgement about ergonomics with my desk (and chair) you have never sat at! :kookoo: That just absurd!

And sorry again, but you really need to do some homework before posting inaccurate claims. For example,
And you still use the top for other stuff you often reach for: books, notes, food, drinks and so on. So you're frequently operating on 2 levels instead of one. And that's not good.
:eek: :kookoo:Of course it is good. In fact working on multiple planes is always MUCH BETTER than always being stuck on the same level. If you are a desk jockey, it is ALWAYS advisable to move around every few minutes, stand up, sit down, reach here, reach there and more. Being fixed in one position for long periods of time is never good.

Ergonomically speaking (not to mention for a healthier heart), it is ALWAYS BETTER to move around and change positions frequently to prevent RSI. In fact, to prevent RSI of the wrist and neck injuries, it is recommended to position the keyboard at elbow height which is normally below normal desk height. Something easily learned with just a tiny bit of homework before posting.
The reason why desks used to look this way is very simple: CRT monitors.
That's nonsense too. Have you never been to Office Max or a furniture store? There are many desks of similar design that are functional, ergonomically designed, and aesthetically suitable for home living, or nice office spaces too.

That has nothing to do with the fact a monitor is, or was CRT or not. CRT monitors often required (budget) desks to be more sturdy because of their weight, but users still positioned the screen surface about the same distance from our heads (around arms length).
The problem with keyboard trays TODAY is that you end up with the keyboard and mouse being below the top - on a limited space. And the large top is wasted.
LOL That's not a problem. That's an asset. With the keyboard and mouse on the tray, it frees up desktop space - not waste it! It seems obvious you have never sat at a properly designed computer desk that is designed to be used and look nice in a nice home or business office.

Seriously, before you say something else totally wrong about ergonomics, PLEASE take a moment to do some homework. Remember, Bing Google is your friend.

And again, let's be real about something else here. You have never sat at my desk, or in my chair. So to suggest the keyboard height and desktop height on my desk (and apparently, all desks like it! :rolleyes:) are wrong is simply ludicrous.

Best bet if to find a used office furniture outlet near you ... when my son moved to Tulsa to attend flight school, we bought 4 rooms of furniture for $999 including bedroom, kitchen-dining (glass stable - 6 chairs), computer / enterertainment center, couches the whole deal. I had bought a 4 piece (desk, credenza, flat file, book shelves) solid natural whote oak "exective office suite" (huge 2" thick desktop w/ return) when I was hired as VP of a large firm ... ran about $5k in the mid 80s ... I now work from home and still using it. My son's was cherry wood, much the same size, not all solid wood but no thin chinsy stuff either, tops and drawer fronts are solid cherry, similar size as my own and was $180 delivered. It's been moved thrice since and still holding up good as new after 12 years.

I have also seen some nifty and well constructed sit stand workstations and also platsic / rubber modular stuff that I originally sneered at but were surprisingly well made. However 27-30" is usually he minimum depth. What you have is typically more often sold as a "desk return" as the shorter side of an "L-shaped" desk" You can find cheap stuff like this, but if it survives more than 2 "moves' I'd be surprised 1st one its deeper than you want. https://www.officefurniture.com/8812843.aspx / https://www.officefurniture.com/8804444.aspx

Check out EleTab foir ajustable sit / stand options, many of these have KB/Mouse surface slide in when "closed", ... "The surface of desktop workstation measures 37.4" x 18" "

https://www.amazon.com/EleTab-Adjus...n/dp/B07BK5BSMH?ref_=Oct_TopRatedC_1069234_4\

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Good point about moves - especially the assemble yourself type of furniture. Some is definitely better than others. If you look at the image of my desk again, the top hutch is attached, but easily detaches. Same with the L side "return". Well, I say easily - you have to crawl underneath it and remove a large, steel plate that is bolted with 8 screws. Not really hard - unless you are in your upper 60's, have a couple prolapsed discs in your neck, and wear tri-focals. But if young and fit, it is easy. Oh, and that desk could have been assembled the other way around too. That is with the hutch cabinet and the tower cubby-hole on the right and the L return on the left. Very convenient if you need to position the desk turned 90°.

My point is, however, and it leads to yours, this desk has been disassembled and moved twice since the original assembly when new - once across town and once again when the last kid moved out, his bedroom was turned into my home office, and this desk moved upstairs out of the old office. And all the pieces survived the process and it is still rock solid too. :)

But again, I splurged and bought quality. I have had other assemble it yourself computer desks (from Sauder, I believe) that once assembled, did not want to come apart. And once put back together, did not have the sturdy feel as before.

As for your first suggestion, I saw that before but noted the OP said he will be getting two monitors. Not sure with that little top corner "accessory" shelf if two monitors will fit properly centered to the keyboard. It probably could be left off.

But we really need the OP to come back with his budget and maximum size desk his living room will support and/or he will tolerate.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (Covered with Cooler Master MasterGel Pro)
Motherboard ASRock B450 Steel Legend, BIOS Version: 8.01 [Beta]
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L V2 RGB, 5x Galax Vortex Wind-02 (3xFront Intake, 2x Top exhaust)
Memory Kingston FURY Beast RGB 3600 MT/s 32 GB (8 GB x4), (KF436C17BBA/8)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Dual OC
Storage Kingston NV2 1 TB
Display(s) MSI PRO M251 (HDMI), Running @104 Hz
Case Cooler Master MasterBox MB520
Audio Device(s) HP H360G USB
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE 550 80+ White
Mouse HP G200 Black
Keyboard Redragon MITRA K551-1 RGB
Software Windows 11 Home
Did you take a look at IKEA Malm?

Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage 1TB SSD
Mouse Logitech G203
Software Windows 11 PRO
this is my current setup.
20190119_165553.jpg

thinking i need to go similar really in terms of color and size.
black basically goes with anything.
havent really found a color or style that suits our room...just being fussy i think.!!

length i can go is about 120/130cm due to the radiator. current length is 100cm.

budget would around the 150£ mark.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
havent really found a color or style that suits our room...just being fussy i think.!!
I disagree. While I personally don't think all pieces in a room needs to be part of a matching set, there is nothing wrong ensuring pieces don't clash either - at least not when that space is part of your home/living space.

With that door there, I can see why depth can be an issue. But as you note, you can go quite a bit wider. And of course, you can go up and down and perhaps put your printer on/in the new desk too. I will caution that going up with a hutch can cause problems with larger monitors. The two in that image of my desk are 22" monitors but I current have 2 x 24". But for sure, they would not fit under the hutch if the stands were not height adjustable too. I could put 2 x 27" but I have not found a 32 with height adjust that will fit - unless they sit closer to the front.

It seems that table you posted about earlier would be a little to wide at 134cm.

Is that total (with shipping and VAT)?

This looks nice. Note for good cooling, I would not put the door on the tower section. Rats, just noticed it says "Currently unavailable" for the dark walnut version. :(

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
what desks do you all have and what would you recommend

i always end up getting them locally. as mentioned, shipping is a bear. i have found decent luck with office buildings, if you have a family member or friend who works in an office building, you can usually bring up needing a desk, and often you'll find they too are in the market ;)

Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage 1TB SSD
Mouse Logitech G203
Software Windows 11 PRO
i always end up getting them locally. as mentioned, shipping is a bear. i have found decent luck with office buildings, if you have a family member or friend who works in an office building, you can usually bring up needing a desk, and often you'll find they too are in the market ;)

a family member a while back who works for Herman miller did give me the office chair shown on the pic.ex stock worth 700£. didn't have to pay anything for it.

might be worth cheekily asking to keep an eye out for a desk as well.!!

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
a family member a while back who works for Herman miller did give me the office chair shown on the pic.ex stock worth 700£. didn't have to pay anything for it.
Certainly one of the top (and most expensive!) brands in chairs. Not sure they make desks that would look nice in a living room, however. But definitely worth checking into if free.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ

might be worth cheekily asking to keep an eye out for a desk as well.!!

In June '18, I spent $345k for Herman Miller to furnish & install for a new office space that houses 22 people, which included ergo chairs, desks, bookcases and under-desk filing cabinets... that equates to about 5 years of rent payments for the space.....

Really nice stuff, well made and very attractive, but REALLY expensive too :)

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
this is my current setup.
View attachment 114786

thinking i need to go similar really in terms of color and size.
black basically goes with anything.

length i can go is about 120/130cm due to the radiator. current length is 100cm.

You could lay a long piece of plywood/whatever wood over that desk to extend it a bit then stain the wood to your color needed.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
:eek: How much? What does the "k" mean? $345k means $345,000 to me!
You could lay a long piece of plywood/whatever wood over that desk to extend it a bit then stain the wood to your color needed.
Not a bad idea. They make some really nice plywood that have fine wood veneer on one side - in maple, walnut, even mahogany. More expensive than plain plywood but MUCH cheaper than solid maple, walnut, etc. Many home improvement stores will even cut it size for you for a small fee.

My dad bought a really nice solid walnut door. He put some nice molding around the whole edge, stained and put several coats of polyurethane over it all. Then bought two, 2-drawer file cabinets, and those became the legs. Built and mounted a center drawer that also served as his keyboard tray. Then he built a hutch for it too. Woodworking was his hobby so it actually looked really nice and it served him well for many years. That said, it looked nice in his office. It would not go well in a living room - setting aside the fact Mom would have a cow if he tried to put it there. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.