• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Metro Exodus Developer Discusses Boycott of the PC Platform for Sequels over Steam Review Bombing

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Update 2: February 5th, 2019: A post on TwitLonger from the official @MetroVideoGame handle has looked to bring a more positive outlook to this whole scenario, in an attempt to bridge the gap between a lone developer's sentiment and the entire 4A Games studio. The post follows:

The recent decision to move Metro Exodus from Steam to the Epic Game Store was made by Koch Media / Deep Silver alone.

The recent comments made by a member of the 4A Games development team do not reflect Deep Silver's or 4A Games' view on the future of the franchise. They do reflect the hurt and disappointment of a passionate individual who has seen what was previously nothing but positive goodwill towards his work turn to controversy due to a business decision he had no control over. We respectfully ask that any and all valid feedback over this decision is directed at Koch Media / Deep Silver, and not the developers at 4A Games.

The future release strategy of the Metro series lies with Koch Media / Deep Silver. Our decision to partner with Epic Games was based on the goal of investing in the future of the series and our development partner at 4A Games. We have every intention of continuing this franchise, and a PC version will always be at the heart of our plans.

The entire handling of this issue has seen wrong turns of hand on all parts involved, the way this particular editor sees it (my, Ravenlord's, sole opinion and not TPU's, so as to avoid a Metro-style situation here), whether it be Valve, 4A Games, the lone developer who made the initial comments, and yes, the particular users in the Metro community that reacted too passionately, inflamming what was already a sticky situation. I, for one, will never see the justice in extrapolating one "wrong" move as a reason for bringing down either the trust or confidence in a whole team of people working hard to bring their creative vision to life. But I suppose gaming is like a relationship, in a way. You can read the original story below.

The whole Metro Exodus saga has been getting uglier as we get closer to launch date. We had reported earlier this very week how Metro Exodus had jumped over to the Epic Games Store for a timed exclusive through February 2020, with Valve and THQ Nordic putting out statements on this move. The move was clearly an unpopular one, and arguably for valid reasons too, but this then led to the mob turning against Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light by leaving an extreme number of negative reviews on the respective Steam store pages.

We do not agree with this behavior, but neither do we condone what happened next. A user by the handle scynet on the Russian Gameinator forums claimed to be one of the developers on the Metro game franchise, and expressed disappointment, and even anger at the review bombing ongoing. Perhaps emotions took over, when he then effectively threatened that the Metro series would not come to the PC platform again, and be a console exclusive, should this behavior continue and also if PC gamers in turn decide to not buy Metro Exodus as a result of the move from Steam to the Epic Games Store. We will note here that (a) the identity of said person has not been confirmed to be an actual developer for the game, and (b) such decisions are usually in the publisher hands. Regardless, both parties are not showing their best here, and hopefully cooler heads will prevail soon.

[Update: Feb 3, 2019: TechPowerUp user birdie has provided what appears to be the most accurate translation at this time, which can be seen past the break.]

An English translation by a native Russian (TechPowerUp user birdie) is seen below.

I've watched the shit storm that gave me contradicting impressions. On the one hand, Steam withdrawal was dubious, no one before us has done this so abruptly (as far as I know). This is new and and it could have caused resentment. And also this move makes it necessary to install the Epic launcher, so it could have inconvenienced certain gamers, and caused resentment.

On the other hand a reaction of the certain category of players ("torrents" only and likewise [he meant those who pirate games]) is hardly adequate. I've got the impression that people didn't really want to play and they have been waiting for a reason to pour out bile. It turns out that we (the developers) have toiled over for years trying to create something extraordinary but a certain category of players believes that our work isn't worth two minutes of installing a new game launcher. Naturally, it's their life and right, but why do they care about Metro at all? Obviously, they are not interested. I can only say that they've never been our players, they are not interested in our work, and as a result, for example, I'm not interested in their opinion. What's the point of me (and not only me) listening to their opinion?

But! Let's take a deeper look at the situation. Someone says that having shit on Metro Exodus and other games of the series has made the world a better place and put the greedy developers in their place. For that, I can only say that, at the worst scenario if all [PC] players boycott the game, then future games, if they get released at all, certainly won't be for PC. Will it be for the better or worse, is up to you. Personally, I will be sorry for devoted fans. But it won't change my appreciation of the work done by me, my friends and co-workers. I'm absolutely certain that almost everyone who is smearing us on the internet is not capable of the tiniest part of the work already done, and I hope, is yet to be done. Which means they are totally unaware of what they are talking about.

One extra thing. Despite the fact that during development I've finished every level of the game countless times, I still love playing Metro. I've completely finished previous games of the series several times and right now when we are putting the finishing touches to the game I'm going to finish it once more. For me it's already a tradition when I finish the game right before its release. It allows to evaluate the work we've done. What am I talking about? I remember the words of Prof [some nickname presumably - no idea who this person is] which I've heard straight from him several times and also on the Internet: you must create a game for yourself, so that first and most you like it yourself. And only now I'm starting to fully understand that - no smartass will make me doubt the work we've done. And there always will be the dissatisfied.

This does not seem as feverous as initial translations make it out to be, however the underlying tones are still applicable to the same bottom line. We also are more confident now that the original poster is a verified employee of 4A Games, and likely a developer on Metro Exodus as well. He/she is no doubt passionate about the work put in to the game, and ideally recognizes that the deeds (however undeserving the review bombing of past games may be) of some members of the PC gaming community does not speak for everyone. At the same time, this does not mean that 4A Games/Koch Media/THQ Nordic/Epic Games Store are all blameless in this debacle either, just that here too the work of few is affecting the rest adversely.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
If you were a dev you would want to make the most profit possible to insure you will still have a studio for new games.

To jump on a new platform offered backed by a powerhouse in the industry is only logical.

People love to slander others for any reason.

The mentality of this generation is so corrupted it is unfathomable.

@natr0
Lol u mean the publisher is so corrupted that they shill for EPIC and forget about what made them so popular in the first place ?

Let me tell u, EPIC games and EPIC launcher is a Joke. Poor Customer support or sometimes 0 support, account security breaches, got banned ? enjoy your entire account getting locked.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
If you were a dev you would want to make the most profit possible to insure you will still have a studio for new games.

To jump on a new platform offered backed by a powerhouse in the industry is only logical.

It's not about the platform -- it's about exclusivity. The whole " you can ONLY buy it here" that EA, EPIC and others are trying to push.

Just because a Chinese company threw some money at these guys now the gamers who bought it from steam HAVE to download epic game launcher and HAVE to use the EPIC launcher which already got hacked twice.

Enjoy having that running on your computer.

Honestly if they want to publish their FPS for console only, good luck to them. I'm not buying this game until it comes to Steam.

Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen 3
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 6G Gaming X
Storage Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) Samsung PX2370 + Acer AL1717
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Power Supply Enermax Modu87+ 800W
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
I'm still hoping all this is some kind of prank, that guy isn't actually a 4A games dev, or if he is he'll be removed or something, hopefully 4A comes out with an explanatory statement and apologies, otherwise they'll greatly suffer in terms of sell (pretty fairly i'd say). If the Epic store exclusivity wasn't enough this is like the coup de grace for the sells on PC.

Most profit possible would be releasing it in multiple stores, not removing it from one store to another just because someone gave you money.
Consumers end getting fucked in the end by this move, so its normal to expect people to be mad about this.

Was it so hard to release it in GOG, Steam, Epic, etc at the same time? No.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Just because a Chinese company threw some money at these guys now the gamers who bought it from steam HAVE to download epic game launcher and HAVE to use the EPIC launcher which already got hacked twice.
Wait, do we know that those who preordered it on Steam have to run it from Steam through Epic Launcher, much like many Ubi games do, or are you guessing?

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
I'm still hoping all this is some kind of prank, that guy isn't actually a 4A games dev, or if he is he'll be removed or something, hopefully 4A comes out with an explanatory statement and apologies, otherwise they'll greatly suffer in terms of sell (pretty fair). If the Epic store exclusivity wasn't enough this is like the coup de grace for the sells on PC.

I read what he was saying; it's really not that bad.

Wait, do we know that those who preordered it on Steam have to run it from Steam through Epic Launcher, much like many Ubi games do, or are you guessing?
They've said it - part of the reason everyone is so pissed off. They thought they would be getting steam keys, but it's epic store keys. Also the humble store is using epic keys.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)

They've said it - part of the reason everyone is so pissed off. They thought they would be getting steam keys, but it's epic store keys. Also the humble store is using epic keys.
Well of course Humble would be. The preorder period on Steam closed last week on the day the move was announced. So the Humble sales now are not evidence of that.

As big a news item as this has been, you would think that would have been a big topic here right after the anger over the move to Epic. But you are literally the first one I have heard say that the Steam keys are for Epic launcher.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
That isn't what this article says: https://www.techpowerup.com/251947/...steam-for-epic-games-store-as-timed-exclusive, so some one is wrong or has their panties in a bunch.

Edit: Forgot the quote

They've said it - part of the reason everyone is so pissed off. They thought they would be getting steam keys, but it's epic store keys. Also the humble store is using epic keys

Edit 2:

I'm still hoping all this is some kind of prank, that guy isn't actually a 4A games dev, or if he is he'll be removed or something

Also, why do you want him (or her) removed? For calling out schmucks for being schmucks? Much like customers, fans aren't always right. At this time, neither side are making good choices but they are both getting what they deserve.

WTH, is going on with quotes

Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen 3
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 6G Gaming X
Storage Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) Samsung PX2370 + Acer AL1717
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Power Supply Enermax Modu87+ 800W
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80

Not that bad you say huh? Alright then.

Also, why do you want him (or her) removed? For calling out schmucks for being schmucks? Much like customers, fans aren't always right. At this time, neither side are making good choices but they are both getting what they deserve.

I don't WANT him removed, i think it's right he'd be removed, because he's full of sht and he just took a fat sht on the entire PC community, there's nothing really right about what he said honestly, piracy was always there, and will always be there, using that as excuse instead of facing the real reasons of this shtstorm is very stupid and makes him (or the entire team) look like amateurs, and not professional. And the whole thing sounds like a threat "If you don't like the decisions we recently took, you either swallow it, or don't buy the game, and if you don't buy the game we won't make it for PC next time".

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Looks like they skipped the step of throwing the toys out of the pram and decided to throw the pram instead.

I wasn't going to buy the game but now I probably won't buy anything from them at all if this is true.

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Well of course Humble would be. The preorder period on Steam closed last week on the day the move was announced. So the Humble sales now are not evidence of that.

As big a news item as this has been, you would think that would have been a big topic here right after the anger over the move to Epic. But you are literally the first one I have heard say that the Steam keys are for Epic launcher.

Im looking for the original source - i've read like 9 articles about this and one of them mentioned that they are replacing all physical and steam keys...

System Name Skypas
Processor Intel Core i7-6700
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) LG 22EA63V
Case Corsair Carbide 400Q
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2 w/ Deepcool XFan 120
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 Pro (to be replaced by 2025)
People choose to throwing tantrum and expect something good coming out from it :shadedshu:

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
A console-exclusive AAA FPS?

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
I zoomed in twice before it registered that I can't read russian.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I zoomed in twice before it registered that I can't read russian.

Click on the source link to then use your preferred choice of translation. I retained the original Russian post as a screenshot because no online translator is perfect.

Well, crappy move there 4A, if you decided to make trilogy so please make sure to publish your shit on release date on those platforms where you initially published it. It's dirty to publish 2/3 on one platform and than BOOM and last one (temporary exclusive) 1/3 on another.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
If all of the companies producing games could stop being dumb that would be great.

As a whole I am tired of having to install everyone and their brothers launcher. If everyone wants their own launcher go back another step and let me just launch the game. Skip the launcher. Why there has to be another layer of frivolous software on my pc I don't understand.

If everyone thinks threatening to drop PC or whatever is the best choice for them, then regardless of how good the game is I would rather play EA garbage than deal with a dev that thinks he can tell me how to live my life.

Also stop ruining things I enjoy.

Thanks, in advance for ignoring what people actually want.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Let’s everyone take a step back and realize nothing has advanced beyond what we already knew prior to today. We know after last week’s announcement that no more Steam preorders would be available, and the sales from that point forward are on Epic. We know that THQ and Steam both said that all Steam preorders would be honored and totally supported in the Steam community and platform.

What we don’t know for sure is if this statement was by the dev company, or by a loose cannon employee, or just someone spouting off. We also don’t know, as one of our members asserted here, that any Steam keys sold must go through the Epic launcher.

So let’s relax until we know facts.

Last edited:
System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
Do it, You think you are boycotting us.... we are boycotting you. This game will probably be cracked in record time.