• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

High FPS but games stutter/choppy

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Memory 16GB HyperX 3200 MHz
Storage Intel 545s 512GB SSD, WD HD 1TB
Display(s) Philips 226e9qhab
Case Cooler Master K380
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Platinum 750W
Software Windows 10
Hi, so I'm having problems with my RX 590. I have a high fps but some games are really unplayable until I turn on vsync or freesync and this is a problem as one game that I play doesn't really support this and it is completely unplayable because it feels like i have 20 fps instead of 60. Some games are worse, some are playable. I really don't know what to do and with all the problems I had with this GPU leads me to believe it's faulty. So only turning on VSYNC helps but like I said it's not a solution for some games. I did always have some screen tearing but this is now 2000000 times worse than just normal screen tearing because with screen tearing I would still feel the 100 fps now it feels completely unplayable in some games. I never had such problems with my old gpu. And the best thing is that it's not constant it just happens every 5-10 seconds making it even more distracting. I don't it has anything to do with the CPU as it happens even in the silliest games that don't even use up to 30% of cpu and gpu.

What I tried so far:
Reseating GPU
Reseating RAM
Reinstalling Windows
DDU multiple times
Reinstalling all drivers
Different driver versions
Tried using my TV and same stuff
Different HDMI cable
Messing with(Enchanted Sync, HDCP, Refresh Rate)

Here's a video of it, I recorded it with my phone on the tv

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
part of the problem could be that you only have 1x8GB stick of ram. Preferably you would want a 4x2 or an 8x2 if you can spare the cash for the upgrade.

A few questions : What old GPU did you have? Are you running monitoring software in the background? (HWinfo64 on a tick rate of <1 second has caused stutter for me before now on AMD cards). How high is the CPU usage? (I ask cuz 4460 is a fairly weak CPU for some games, and the 590 being more powerful may be putting more strain on the CPU to feed it. Also AMD has somewhat worse DX11 performance in their drivers than NVIDIA with weaker CPUs from my experience).

A faulty GPU can indeed cause frametime spikes and tearing i have seen that before. Can you access another PC to test the 590 in?

Also it's very hard to see it in that video, at least to my eyes.

part of the problem could be that you only have 1x8GB stick of ram. Preferably you would want a 4x2 or an 8x2 if you can spare the cash for the upgrade.
Oooo, yeah I didn't catch that. Putting a second channel in helped my old laptop with 7300HQ a lot , and these CPUs are fairly similar in performance.

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
A few questions : What old GPU did you have? Are you running monitoring software in the background? (HWinfo64 on a tick rate of <1 second has caused stutter for me before now on AMD cards). How high is the CPU usage? (I ask cuz 4460 is a fairly weak CPU for some games, and the 590 being more powerful may be putting more strain on the CPU to feed it. Also AMD has somewhat worse DX11 performance in their drivers than NVIDIA with weaker CPUs from my experience).

A faulty GPU can indeed cause frametime spikes and tearing i have seen that before. Can you access another PC to test the 590 in?

Also it's very hard to see it in that video, at least to my eyes.

Oooo, yeah I didn't catch that. Putting a second channel in helped my old laptop with 7300HQ a lot , and these CPUs are fairly similar in performance.
I will try my GPU in my friend's computer on the weekend probably. I only have FPS Monitor but it was happening on a fresh windows install with no such programs installed.
Also I had an HD 7950

I will try my GPU in my friend's computer on the weekend probably. I only have FPS Monitor but it was happening on a fresh windows install with no such programs installed.
Also I had an HD 7950
That would be great, to narrow it down. What CPU do they have?

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
i5 6600k I think
but I'm a bit worried as he has a crappy 45$ LC POWER PSU

Hmm yeah 590 is fairly power hungry i think AIB cards use over 220W easily. Sorry for all the questions haha but do you know exactly which PSU he has, would be handy to see the specs. a lot of the "higher wattage" super cheap PSU's have multiple weak 12V rail or really weak 12V performance and the "rated" wattage is absolute peak and rarely sustained output. :/ Idealy if you could take your PSU :)love: Seasonic) and use it in his PC with the 590 would be great but that's a lot of hassle lol.

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
Hmm yeah 590 is fairly power hungry i think AIB cards use over 220W easily. Sorry for all the questions haha but do you know exactly which PSU he has, would be handy to see the specs. a lot of the "higher wattage" super cheap PSU's have multiple weak 12V rail or really weak 12V performance and the "rated" wattage is absolute peak and rarely sustained output. :/ Idealy if you could take your PSU :)love: Seasonic) and use it in his PC with the 590 would be great but that's a lot of hassle lol.
One guy in a store/computer service said my PSU was crap and that I made a mistake buying a SeaSonic :( and that my old Thermaltake was probably better
Maybe he has this one LC POWER LC600H , but I can't say for sure. And he has a GTX 750 TI
He also said Chieftec and Cooler Master psu's are the best. And he is a big nvidia/intel fanboy.

Last edited:
One guy in a store/computer service said my PSU was crap and that I made a mistake buying a SeaSonic :( and that my old Thermaltake was probably better
Maybe he has this one LC POWER LC600H , but I can't say for sure. And he has a GTX 750 TI
Wat. Seasonic is widely regarded as one of the best Power supply manufacturers, they even make the parts for a lot of other vendors. The Focus Platinum you have is probably the best of its kind honestly. If i can I always get Seasonic. lol

Yeah 590 is a loooot more power hungry than 750 ti. I'd be cautious using it with a PSU that isn't reputable brand. (I didn't know of LC Power before today :s)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
@Chippyz There's nothing wrong with you computer - the effects in that video are normal. You will always see stutter and tearing with vsync off - it's inherent. The precise effects will also vary, with factors being such things as the refresh rate of the monitor, framerate of the graphics card, game engine and video drivers.

This article explains all about vsync and how to set it properly. Basically, to remove those nasties, you must set vsync on and nowadays there are several different options for vsync on.

https://wccftech.com/how-to-set-vsync-the-right-way-in-your-games/

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
He also said Chieftec and Cooler Master psu's are the best. And he is a big nvidia/intel fanboy.
Whoever told you the Thermaltake PSU is better than Seasonic is an idiot.
Could try adding extra ram stick and maybe try different hard drive if its old?
Tried doing a clean driver installation using DDU to clean any previous drivers installed?

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Safe to ignore that idiot ;)

I can clearly see the stutter in your video. Its strange, because it stutters but it does do it at a very stable interval.

Youre right its like we are looking at 20 FPS/hz refresh or something and then back up to 60. Thing is, a lack of resources such as RAM would not look like this... that would look much more like a very brief system hang.

This to me looks more like some form of adaptive Vsync in the game. It kicks in at times and halves your FPS. That would perfectly explain what Im seeing here.

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
Wat. Seasonic is widely regarded as one of the best Power supply manufacturers, they even make the parts for a lot of other vendors. The Focus Platinum you have is probably the best of its kind honestly. If i can I always get Seasonic. lol

Yeah 590 is a loooot more power hungry than 750 ti. I'd be cautious using it with a PSU that isn't reputable brand. (I didn't know of LC Power before today :s)
People in my area have small salaries and prices are big because of importing fees. I paid 150$ for this PSU and on newegg it's 130$. The RX 590 here is
@Chippyz There's nothing wrong with you computer. You will always see stutter and tearing with vsync off - it's inherent. The precise effects will also vary, with factors being such things as the refresh rate of the monitor, framerate of the graphics card, game engine and video drivers.

This article explains all about vsync and how to set it properly. Basically, to remove those nasties, you must set vsync on and nowadays there are several different options for vsync on.

Why didn't I have any of these issues with my old GPU then? The only things I changed are GPU and PSU.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Why didn't I have any of these issues with my old GPU then? The only things I changed are GPU and PSU.
You did have them, but you didn't notice them so much. As I said, the exact way it looks will depend on several factors. Read the article and you'll understand.

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
Safe to ignore that idiot ;)

I can clearly see the stutter in your video. Its strange, because it stutters but it does do it at a very stable interval.

Youre right its like we are looking at 20 FPS/hz refresh or something and then back up to 60. Thing is, a lack of resources such as RAM would not look like this...

This to me looks more like some form of adaptive Vsync in the game. It kicks in at times and halves your FPS. That would perfectly explain what Im seeing here.
Vsync helps when I turn it on and it happens in all games, it is also very noticable in GTA V.

@Chippyz There's nothing wrong with you computer. You will always see stutter and tearing with vsync off - it's inherent. The precise effects will also vary, with factors being such things as the refresh rate of the monitor, framerate of the graphics card, game engine and video drivers.

I guess it's down to how one perceives stutter, but without VSync in Warfame and Paladins it doesn't 'stutter' on my PC at all. I am extremely picky about it too.

But yes it's true that without some form of Sync there is going to be more variance in frametime..

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I guess it's down to how one perceives stutter, but without VSync in Warfame and Paladins it doesn't 'stutter' on my PC at all. I am extremely picky about it too.

But yes it's true that without some form of Sync there is going to be more variance in frametime..
It's only partly perception, mainly if the effects are subtle. An example of something not subtle is a graphics card pushing 75Hz on a 60Hz monitor, which will look terrible, juddering badly. A subtle effect will be 120fps on a 144Hz monitor, which can be quite hard to tell. You still can if you look closely though.

In short, you need a 1:1 correlation between graphics fps and monitor Hz for smooth animation. G-SYNC and FreeSync ensure this too, if you think about it and that's why it looks smooth.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Vsync helps when I turn it on and it happens in all games, it is also very noticable in GTA V.

Are you running with a framerate cap cpmbined with Vsync, is Freesync activated, are there multiple applications controlling or monitoring your framerates... those are the kinds of things Id be looking at.

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
Are you running with a framerate cap cpmbined with Vsync, is Freesync activated, are there multiple applications controlling or monitoring your framerates... those are the kinds of things Id be looking at.
No, I just enable Vsync ingame, freesync helps too but only works when I cap the fps to the monitor's refresh rate, no other applications are running

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
in radeon settings unable target frame rate control and set it to 60-65.
make sure you are running performance bios (refer to vga card manual for correct position)
check vga temps. your case has a bit shitty airflow if it is only with stock fans config.
if you are going to test the card in firends' pc take your psu with you. take only cables you need to run the pc (24pin atx, 4/8pin cpu, 1 sata for hdd and pcie for vga)

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
It's only partly perception, mainly if the effects are subtle. An example of something not subtle is a graphics card pushing 75Hz on a 60Hz monitor, which will look terrible, juddering badly. A subtle effect will be 120fps on a 144Hz monitor, which can be quite hard to tell. You still can if you look closely though.

In short, you need a 1:1 correlation between graphics fps and monitor Hz for smooth animation. G-SYNC and FreeSync ensure this too, if you think about it and that's why it looks smooth.
But one game I was playing was buttery smooth, the game isn't even intensive, I never had stutter/screen tearing in that game but now I do.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
But one game I was playing was buttery smooth, the game isn't even intensive, I never had stutter/screen tearing in that game but now I do.
It was never buttery smooth, you only thought it was. I've explained how perceptions can vary, twice now.

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
It was never buttery smooth, you only thought it was. I've explained how perceptions can vary, twice now.
Okay, if you say so but the game is now completely unplayable. I guess it has something to do with the gpu then.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

That store/service is an Idiot, he also probably sponsored by CT/CM...

Just ignore that idiot.

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
That store/service is an Idiot, he also probably sponsored by CT/CM...

Just ignore that idiot.
He was like "You made a horrible mistake buying an RX 590. 1060 is much better blah blah...."

Also funny thing, I thought I should try to record the stuttering with amd Relive and the stuttering and it actually caught it.

Status
Not open for further replies.