• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon VII 16 GB

System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
omg.. its bad enough the fan boy bickering, but do we really need to drag flat earthers in to this ??

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
OMG.. that's twice now. The ignore function is KILLING me!!!!

It doesn't show you quoted anyone on my screen!!! Sorry man!!!
View attachment 116060

Well, stop putting people on ignore man. :)

I bought me one of these new-fangled mouses with a scroll wheel. That works well for me. :D

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Flat earthers agree to disagree with those who know the earth is round as well...

Be woke. :p
But the earth is actually Flat lol
:roll:

System Name Strix-13700K
Processor Intel i7-13700K
Motherboard Asus Strix-A D4
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite LCD
Memory Thermaltake ToughRam 4 x 8GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 3080 12GB
Storage Western digital Black SN850 1TB - PCIe Gen 4 M.2-2 and Western Digital Blue 1TB SN750 PCIe Gen 3
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG341CQR Ulta-wide 3440x1440p 144Hz and a Samsung 50 inch TV 4K TV
Case NZXT H7 Flow
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G5 1000w Gold
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro Mouse
Keyboard Corsair STRAFE MK2 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 = 31270 Multicore test
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
The latest from that camp is donut shaped....

...no seriously.

(But we're getting OT here, ha)

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
The biggest contribution Radeon VII does to the gaming market is justifying the price of graphics cards. Many feel the RTX 2080 is a little too expensive, but it will only look better now compared to this card.

I’m curious why the mix of titles is a bad thing. Will a Radeon 7 user only play games in which the game was optimized for AMD or made in DX12? With my last AMD card I didn’t decide to not play certain games just because they work better with Nvidia cards.

I really don’t understand why then we shouldn’t see a performance summary rating, since it includes a wide variety of games played.

Well I should be more clear. My problem is the numerous people here forming the conclusion the Radeon 7 is 'terrible', 'embarassing' or 'a disaster' because it gets 123fps in F1 2018 and the 2080 gets 135fps. Or similar examples. It's not their best card but it's not terrible. Like I said it goes toe to toe with the 2080 in the vast majority of DX12 titles.

People should cut AMD more slack, they have about 1/3rd of the budget of Nvidia yet their re-purposed M160 still offers 2080-like performance outside of older DX11 titles. Do you not want more competition in the graphics card market? i find it hard to understand this ultra critical attitude towards their products when they are doing us all a favour, literally, by being there and competing with the giant that has become Nvidia.

I dont think anyone compared it like that mentioning fps in detail. But everything needs context. Surely it's a capable card at 1440p, but that doesnt change the fact for the same price you have a lot more power use, a noisey(er) cooling solution, and slower performance overall (varies from a few/several % to the teens depending on review site and titles used).

People are used to AMD offering the best performance for the buck and this offering couldnt be further from that. It's a solid improvement over v64 and, finally, a competitor in the high end space. If you need compute abilities, it's a winner hands down. If you dont, which the majority do not, then it has to compared by its gaming abilities (where amd has marketed the card). Drivers having issues out of the gate (its gcn...not new)...it wasn't a smooth launch. :(

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
donut shaped
Donut hole right?

People should cut AMD more slack

Honestly, no they shouldn't. It is no one's fault but AMD they bought Ati likely knowing they couldn't afford it. Whether it was a good choice or not will be determined if they ever crawl out of this GPU hole.

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
We shouldn't cut AMD more slack, we should strive for being unbiased and judge them fairly compared to their competition.

When it comes to the buggy launch driver, I will reserve judgement for a few days to see if this was a last minute glitch in the driver, or if the driver is generally bad. I have a deep understanding for how nasty bugs can sneak into last minute "fixes" of software, but then such problems should be easily fixed once identified.

Donut hole right?

Honestly, no they shouldn't. It is no one's fault but AMD they bought Ati likely knowing they couldn't afford it. Whether it was a good choice or not will be determined if they ever crawl out of this GPU hole.

We shouldn't cut AMD more slack, we should strive for being unbiased and judge them fairly compared to their competition.

When it comes to the buggy launch driver, I will reserve judgement for a few days to see if this was a last minute glitch in the driver, or if the driver is generally bad. I have a deep understanding for how nasty bugs can sneak into last minute "fixes" of software, but then such problems should be easily fixed once identified.

Exactly, and judging them fairly doesn't mean you conclude that this card is terrible, or a disaster, which seems to be your thinking. Judging them fairly - your words - would be concluding this is a good card but is not as good value as a 2080.

You also cannot forego context in this market. The fact is, they're competing with a company with a vastly bigger budget who rake in billions of profit each quarter whereas AMD turn in $250m for the entire year if they're lucky. I don't care what you say that needs to be considered in a conclusion of a product. This 'let's just deal with the card in front of us', ignore all context, be ultra critical of it is stupid. If a start-up company made a CPU almost as good as Intel's fastest, would you conclude 'Nah this is terrible, it's not as good as Intel's best, not worth it'? No, that would be moronic, wouldn't it? That's an extreme example of your stance.

franc bruschetta

What a joke, Lisa Su lost all respect from me for allowing this product to be released. I was considering a 3700x, but screw it. 9700k and rtx 2080 is probably my next build.

really disappointing, 30 fps slower across the board at 1080p almost... and using 100 watts more... wow so pathetic...

no...16fps slower, you need to use a calculator if you don t know how to do math

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
Exactly, and judging them fairly doesn't mean you conclude that this card is terrible, or a disaster, which seems to be your thinking. Judging them fairly - your words - would be concluding this is a good card but is not as good value as a 2080.
Judging it fairly is considering the facts without bias, and even calling something terrible if it is, but I didn't call this one terrible.

You also cannot forego context in this market. <snipped babble>. If a start-up company made a CPU almost as good as Intel's fastest, would you conclude 'Nah this is terrible, it's not as good as Intel's best, not worth it'? No, that would be moronic, wouldn't it? That's an extreme example of your stance.
Nice attempt on a reductio ad absurdum.

The problem with Radeon VII is what it offers, or lack thereof, for the gaming market. When a product has some disadvantages, it should compensate with other advantages, justifying its market position. When you have a product A and B, and A is equal or better in every practical way than B, why would you ever buy B? And coming up with the argument "but B is almost as good in these use-cases" is not good enough, when there is a clear winner, why would you choose something else?

Regardless of how you try to avoid the reality, Radeon VII performs somewhere in the middle between RTX 2070 and RTX 2080. That would be fair enough if it was priced accordingly or gave some other major benefits. But unfortunately it's priced like RTX 2080, and has significantly worse thermals and noise. And even when completely ignoring the raytracing feature, Radeon VII still remains an inferior choice compared to RTX 2080 and RTX 2070, and that's a fact, not my opinion.

Reactions: 64K
System Name Strix-13700K
Processor Intel i7-13700K
Motherboard Asus Strix-A D4
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite LCD
Memory Thermaltake ToughRam 4 x 8GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 3080 12GB
Storage Western digital Black SN850 1TB - PCIe Gen 4 M.2-2 and Western Digital Blue 1TB SN750 PCIe Gen 3
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG341CQR Ulta-wide 3440x1440p 144Hz and a Samsung 50 inch TV 4K TV
Case NZXT H7 Flow
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G5 1000w Gold
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro Mouse
Keyboard Corsair STRAFE MK2 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 = 31270 Multicore test

You also cannot forego context in this market. The fact is, they're competing with a company with a vastly bigger budget who rake in billions of profit each quarter whereas AMD turn in $250m for the entire year if they're lucky. I don't care what you say that needs to be considered in a conclusion of a product. This 'let's just deal with the card in front of us', ignore all context, be ultra critical of it is stupid. If a start-up company made a CPU almost as good as Intel's fastest, would you conclude 'Nah this is terrible, it's not as good as Intel's best, not worth it'? No, that would be moronic, wouldn't it? That's an extreme example of your stance.

Look I get what you are saying especially about context but, this is not a start up or new to the GPU business but an established player that has been around since near the beginning in ATI. The fact is they bought out a GPU at $699 that runs hotter, drinks more power and only just matches or slighty exceeds a GPU from 2 years ago in the GTX 1080ti and remember the 1080ti was manufactured on a 14nm process as opposed to this 'first ever' 7nm Gaming GPU from AMD. As importantly it is coming up against a compititor in the Nvidia RTX 2080 which was slated across the board for it's price! (and rightly so) yet the RTX 2080 run faster, cooler and more effeciently on a 12nm process than the worlds first 7nm GPU and with the RTX, Nvidia still have an excuse for the price hike in that it has genuine new technology in the RT and Tensor cores no matter how relevant they are right now.

I think compition is so, so important to drive technology forward and to bring prices down so I do want AMD to succeed but lets just be honest for a moment, as we can only compare this product to it's compitition and in the context of gaming as it was released as a gaming GPU. Sadly it falls a bit short. I have to admit I am surprised at AMD for releasing this GPU especially with the launch having a less than perfect start...Bad drivers and whatever else you want to say does not help and again how is this possible as it is still based on GCN from years ago...First impressions do count...maybe to to the hardcore but to the general public who are not stupid.

Judging them fairly - your words - would be concluding this is a good card but is not as good value as a 2080.
but, there is more to it for many than value. Noise, performance, power use/heat mitigation....these are not inconsequential things..

Few called it terrible... just about as many cant call a spade a spade either. It just depends on the user as to what they are looking for out of a GPU. Many find that trio a deal breaker, especially at the same price point. Add to that the driver issues out of the gate, it's pretty easy to see why many are very disappointed in the release. ;)

Judging it fairly is considering the facts without bias, and even calling something terrible if it is, but I didn't call this one terrible.

Nice attempt on a reductio ad absurdum.

The problem with Radeon VII is what it offers, or lack thereof, for the gaming market. When a product has some disadvantages, it should compensate with other advantages, justifying its market position. When you have a product A and B, and A is equal or better in every practical way than B, why would you ever buy B? And coming up with the argument "but B is almost as good in these use-cases" is not good enough, when there is a clear winner, why would you choose something else?

Regardless of how you try to avoid the reality, Radeon VII performs somewhere in the middle between RTX 2070 and RTX 2080. That would be fair enough if it was priced accordingly or gave some other major benefits. But unfortunately it's priced like RTX 2080, and has significantly worse thermals and noise. And even when completely ignoring the raytracing feature, Radeon VII still remains an inferior choice compared to RTX 2080 and RTX 2070, and that's a fact, not my opinion.

Oh come on, you mention RTX features that no-one can use yet you choose to ignore the three free games that come with the Radeon 7. That's not fair, is it? At worst you'll get $50 for selling those so that takes the price down to $650.

But you're being silly, I said the 2080 is a better choice. The Radeon 7 is overpriced, yes, I would also agree. But the reaction of some of you is over the top to say the least.

Oh come on, you mention RTX features that no-one can use yet you choose to ignore the three free games that come with the Radeon 7.
anyone with an rtx card and bf v can use them...more titles, AAA titles, come out this year.

Some nvidia gpus offer a free game as well.

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
Oh come on, you mention RTX features that no-one can use…
I beg your pardon, did you even read my post?
I said I was ignoring the raytracing feature, not giving AMD any disadvantage here, which is fact is giving AMD the benefit of the doubt.

…yet you choose to ignore the three free games that come with the Radeon 7. That's not fair, is it? At worst you'll get $50 for selling those so that takes the price down to $650.
Nvidia and board partners have game bundles all the time.
Game bundles are only worth something if they offer a game you were going to buy anyway. And don't pretend you can just sell them and get the value, you'll be lucky to get 10 cents on the dollar.

D

Deleted member 158293

The biggest contribution Radeon VII does to the gaming market is justifying the price of graphics cards. Many feel the RTX 2080 is a little too expensive, but it will only look better now compared to this card.

Indeed!

Having a small 2 company video card oligopoly, if these companies decide to raise prices permanently, their word is rule.

I beg your pardon, did you even read my post?
I said I was ignoring the raytracing feature, not giving AMD any disadvantage here, which is fact is giving AMD the benefit of the doubt.

Nvidia and board partners have game bundles all the time.
Game bundles are only worth something if they offer a game you were going to buy anyway. And don't pretend you can just sell them and get the value, you'll be lucky to get 10 cents on the dollar.

It's not just one game it's three, and yes, I know they have no value if you don't want them (of course!) that's why I said you sell them?

You reaction to this card earlier was over the top, that was my argument:

I mean if you think that is the biggest contribution of this card.... The biggest contribution of this card is that it's the fastest AMD card on the market or a viable upgrade for Freesync owners.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard MSI Gaming M7 AC
Cooling AlphaCool Eisbaer 360
Memory G. Skill Trident X DDR4 8GBx2 (16 GB) 4266mhz dimms
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Twin Frozr GTX 1080 Ti
Storage 512GB Samsung 960 EVO M2 NVMe drive,500 GB Samsung 860 EVO ssd, 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Samsung 28 inch 4k Freesync monitor
Case ThermalTake V71 Full tower gaming case
Power Supply Corsair 1200 watt HX Platinum PSU
Mouse Razor Mamba Tournament Edition
Keyboard Das tactile mechanical gaming keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench 15 64 bit Open GL 146.7 FPS Cinebench 15 CPU 1958 at 4.25 GHZ Priority set to real-time
I strongly criticize reviewer for his selection of games being heavily weighted against AMD. Almost every game is DX11, when everyone knows DX 12 games run better on AMD graphics. Other reviewers were more balanced with their game selections. Hardware Canucks and Hardware Unboxed found the Radeon 7 within 4 to 5% of the RTX 2080 and definitely faster than the 1080 Ti in most games. Poor review with skewed results. A hack job.

Der Bauer has proven that on overclocking on Radeon 7 is hampered by a faulty driver. Until the driver is corrected overclocking can not be properly evaluated..

M2B

Processor Intel Core i5-8600K @4.9GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB
Memory XPG 8GBx2 - 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX 1080 OC Edition 8G 11Gbps
Storage 2x Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U
Case Thermaltake View 71 Tempered Glass RGB Edition
Power Supply EVGA 650 P2
Nobody buys a GPU just to play latest AAA Games, games such as Dragon Quest Xi are a good indicator of the performance in lesser known titles:

ace-combat-7-resolutions-768x565.png

Look how bad AMD sucks at Ace Combat 7, which is a UE4 title, nvidia is basically miles ahead of AMD when it comes to less known or older titles.
Go bash AMD instead of the reviewer.

Last edited: