• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

High FPS but games stutter/choppy

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
Single channel RAM or old (or almost full) HDD make that happen more often than not. Stuttering is rarely a GPU related problem, especially when it is so powerful for 1080P as a 590. Only an inadequate PSU can be related to a bad performing GPU of this performance level. HDD checking first, emptying it as much as possible. If this don't make things better, another stick of the same RAM capacity should be the next test. My 5 cents.
if it is hdd defrag will help better then just emptying it

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
That is possible I suppose...

Can you link directly to whatever at that website is supporting your assertion, please?

EDIT: This is the closest I found... though it mentions Vsync, it doesn't seem to in the same capacity you are..
https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction/

EDIT2: https://www.pcgamer.com/what-is-microstutter-and-how-do-i-fix-it/
I've known about the stutter effect long before I ever read about it, from simple observation, hence the reference here is me and my experience. :)

www.rtings.com had an article on this too, where they talked about the difference between stutter and judder too, if you fancy digging it up.

I don't have any specific article on Blur Busters to show you, it's just a fantastic reference to have and I've definitely learned stuff on there, especially when it comes to strobing LCD backlights and how adaptive sync works. They've got high speed cameras and other advanced equipment to really analyse motion on a LCD displays like nobody else does. They've also got motion blur tests on there which run in your browser, which are really useful.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I've known about the stutter effect long before I ever read about it, from simple observation, hence the reference here is me and my experience. :)

www.rtings.com had an article on this too, where they talked about the difference between stutter and judder too, if you fancy digging it up.

I don't have any specific article on Blur Busters to show you, it's just a fantastic reference to have and I've definitely learned stuff on there, especially when it comes to strobing LCD backlights and how adaptive sync works. They've got high speed cameras and other advanced equipment to really analyse motion on a LCD displays like nobody else does. They've also got motion blur tests on there which run in your browser, which are really useful.
Good on you for knowing/observing stuttering is! :)

I fancy those who support their assertions with direct links showing what they are saying. The least one can do is reply in kind... its not like I just straight bunked it without multiple links supporting my assertion. I have an open mind and even took the time to look on that website you told me to go to...and more to see if i needed a knowledge update! And here I get another generic link in return to go hunting for it. One would think if this is such a "basic" piece of information (I always appreciate disparaging comments...), we wouldn't have to go looking in the dungeons of the web to find it, eh?

Anyway, this is a BIT off topic, so I will just leave it at that...

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
No, I just enable Vsync ingame, freesync helps too but only works when I cap the fps to the monitor's refresh rate, no other applications are running

So Radeon drivers are set for uncapped FPS? Worth checking.

I'd set enhanced sync on, and turn off all other syncs. That should increase pressure on gpu and releive pressure off your cpu, and you shouldn't be having anymore stutter.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I am wondering how you figur vsync, freesync ,framerate control or any other software switch can alter the fact that at 8Gb vram card utilising 3-6Gb of its memory in a SINGLE channel memory system with 20-28Gb memory bandwidth instead of 50-55 and only 8Gb totsl is going to help.
His Os and half the game will be in the pagefile on a HDD.

How on earth could it be stuttering ,hmmn.

If anyone in this thread has successfully gamed at high fps on such a system this year please do shout out.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I am wondering how you figur vsync, freesync ,framerate control or any other software switch can alter the fact that at 8Gb vram card utilising 3-6Gb of its memory in a SINGLE channel memory system with 20-28Gb memory bandwidth instead of 50-55 and only 8Gb totsl is going to help.
His Os and half the game will be in the pagefile on a HDD.

How on earth could it be stuttering ,hmmn.

If anyone in this thread has successfully gamed at high fps on such a system this year please do shout out.

60 FPS was fine and rock solid on my 3570K paired with 8 GB RAM up until december 2017, with a GTX 1080. And when I moved to high refresh on that same rig, the stutter I saw was nothing like what we see here. An occasional hiccup is what it looked like, not a consistent, prolonged slowdown like we saw here. And I also ran single channel. Going from 780ti to a 1080 on that rig made no difference at all.

Im not convinced this is at all about RAM or VRAM.

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
60 FPS was fine and rock solid on my 3570K paired with 8 GB RAM up until december 2017, with a GTX 1080. And when I moved to high refresh on that same rig, the stutter I saw was nothing like what we see here. An occasional hiccup is what it looked like, not a consistent, prolonged slowdown like we saw here. And I also ran single channel. Going from 780ti to a 1080 on that rig made no difference at all.

Im not convinced this is at all about RAM or VRAM.
that was 2017 and you were pushing your luck then?

and we have no idea what he runs in the background verses you , plus he actually stated hes using Relive so at the same time as serving the OS and game his HDD and single stick is also getting involved in writing video back to the drive.

and the OP nor anyone else worked this line of inquiry ,instead its PSU's drivers etc etc, freedom had it right on post 2 imho.

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Memory 16GB HyperX 3200 MHz
Storage Intel 545s 512GB SSD, WD HD 1TB
Display(s) Philips 226e9qhab
Case Cooler Master K380
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Platinum 750W
Software Windows 10

and we have no idea what he runs in the background verses you , plus he actually stated hes using Relive so at the same time as serving the OS and game his HDD and single stick is also getting involved in writing video back to the drive.

and the OP nor anyone else worked this line of inquiry ,instead its PSU's drivers etc etc, freedom had it right on post 2 imho.
I also said that it was happening on a fresh install of windows with no additional programs installed other than the drivers and the game. I'm okay with it as long it's not the GPU causing the stutter(as it's the most expensive component and I don't want it to be faulty). And I had my HD 7950 like 2 months ago and didn't have a single problem with it. And some games were low fps because of the gpu but there was no stuttering at high fps. And the stutter happens in the simpliest games.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
I also said that it was happening on a fresh install of windows with no additional programs installed other than the drivers and the game. I'm okay with it as long it's not the GPU causing the stutter(as it's the most expensive component and I don't want it to be faulty). And I had my HD 7950 like 2 months ago and didn't have a single problem with it. And some games were low fps because of the gpu but there was no stuttering at high fps. And the stutter happens in the simpliest games.
for a start then run your games etc with resource monitor up and the game windowed and monitor memory use and page file use, that would clear this up also disable relive , because writes to a HDD while playing AAA games at high fps with low system bandwidth and slow read write to drive speeds can tank performance.

I moved to SSD 5 years ago , you should too, i assure you even though it cannot improve FPS it can smooth FPS because load ins from the drive are not slow and to some games( some of which are made with ssds in mind these days) ,, GTAV is a fine example with HDD ,stutter, with ssd slight stutter :) it does load big areas in though but even watching the bench run its very noticeable on GTAV.

also note high fps regardless of game type uses system memory bandwidth a lot because more frames are moving as well as the normal stuff and from what your describing you want regulated steady 60 fps gameing but your not doing anything to get it stable ie Vsync etc, i have a freesync monitor overclocked a bit to 85Hz so it doesnt freesync and i like you want steady 85fps, without Vsync its virtually impossible but you can get close with framerate control which incidentally everyone should use since occasional bouts of 3000 fps does'nt help GPU's health, but game settings matter too.

Last edited:
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

Agreed. We don't know a lot of things, I'm just saying, its good to go in depth on the software side before you start looking at hardware, and I say this because I really don't recognize this sort of choppy behaviour from a very similar hardware setup. This really isn't stutter - it is consistent. And that does not fit the lack of RAM situation at all.

Also, december 2017 is just over a year ago. Not that long at all, and I play pretty recent games, and a very broad spectrum of them of which many are very CPU and RAM heavy (=reason to ditch the IvyBridge setup). I really haven't seen a thorough exploration of the Freesync/enhanced sync/what settings are actually active from the OP, and I get the impression something has been overlooked. Its easy to throw more hardware at a problem to fix it, but that doesn't mean you've found the actual cause.

That said, a very plausible cause here is the use of in-game recording software such as relive, that would certainly explain a consistent frametime interruption like we've been able to see.

Last, with regards to the SSD versus HDD situation, yes, this is the most tangible and noticeable performance boost for any system, whether new or 10 years old. But at the same time, the games where an HDD directly impacts frametimes, are extremely rare. With concurrent recording software though, that changes.

@Chippyz I think you need to change your stance if you want to find the cause, stop playing defensive and get inquisitive. Its your issue in the end, and denial gets you nowhere. Explore it - everything you've explored and cannot be considered the cause, is safe to exclude. That will leave you with the solution in the end ;)

This, once again, confirms to me that this is not a hardware problem - at least not one of any hardware except the GPU. The GPU is still suspect.

Last edited:
System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
Good news, it's not the GPU, I used my integrated graphics and same crap on a really simple game, however I still don't know the cause. I'm just happy because it's not the GPU, thanks everyone for help.

Migh this be a problem?
Capture.PNG

This, once again, confirms to me that this is not a hardware problem - at least not one of any hardware except the GPU. The GPU is still suspect.
Any ideas?

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Any ideas?

Try a different graphics card. preferably not one that's builtin and you have you physically swap it out with your current one.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
https://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml
i use this from time to time, I usually use it to figure out why i may get audio issues in some situations but it can help narrow down if a specific device is causing issues.
I used it once to find out that my brothers PC was stuttering during game play because of the WLan adapter. Thanx to the tool we replaced it and fixed the issue.

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/members/chippyz.184056/#specs

What is your paging file size set to?

Have you done a defrag?

Can we get a Screenshot of task manager, task scheduler, services.msc, msconfig please?.

Antivirus/Malware utilities can cause this too...
It says 1920MB,
I tried running memcheck and got no errors
I have done a defrag
I also said it was happening on a fresh install of windows with no other stuff installed other than games and drivers

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
It says 1920MB,
I tried running memcheck and got no errors
I have done a defrag
I also said it was happening on a fresh install of windows with no other stuff installed other than games and drivers

You have F Secure Security Suite.

Have you tride turning that off?

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
You have F Secure Security Suite.

Have you tride turning that off?
No, but I installed it just recently and it was happening without it too but it has a Game Mode so I will try that.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
No, but I installed it just recently and it was happening without it too but it has a Game Mode so I will try that.

Turn it off, also shut down everything but the game itself

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
W10 with hdd...

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
W10 with hdd...
I am at my friend's house right now and we tried his gpu,ram(2x4) and it was the same so i guess it's my hdd or my computer is haunted. I will upgrade next year anyways.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I am at my friend's house right now and we tried his gpu,ram(2x4) and it was the same so i guess it's my hdd or my computer is haunted. I will upgrade next year anyways.

Someone recently moved some games from a HDD to a SSD and his problems stopped. HDD was way too slow to feed data to RAM-CPU-GPU.

Time to Get at Least a 840 Pro or MX300.

Last edited:
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Someone recently moved some games from a HDD to a SSD and his problems stopped. HDD was way too slow to feed data to RAM-CPU-GPU.

Time to Get at Least a 840 Pro or MX300 at least.

This is never a bad investment anyway and certainly worth a go at this point.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.