• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Some people accuse TPU of 'bias' towards Nvidia.

System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
oh there are worse ones,believe me.
The only ones that are favourable consist of a tiny bunch of games that amd generally does well at,and that's the problem.The card is very inconsistent. It beats 2080 in avg. fps as many times as it loses to 2070 in min. fps. Highly priced,based on exactly the same uarch as 2017 Vega with no changes. You can sugarcoat it or look at the reults and say it how it is.

dont think you will find any sugar coating in what i said lol. but you wont find any fan boying for either side either.

and i should have probably said "one of the harshest reviews from a reputable place that i have seen"

I tend to appreciate why people find objection to what AMD is doing - because sparing a gpu 2 weeks after delivery is the kind of motivation of everyone making these kinds of purchasing decisions.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Edit2: This is the video, at 7:11
Tried R6:Siege benchmark on RTX 2080. At least from what I can see in software, there is no stutter like that.
I wonder what's his methodology though, software tools or FCAT?

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
People should really be looking at the benchmarks against games they play or are planning on playing. See how the card(s) they're look at perform. Also, as others have said, check multiple sites.

For example, out of the all games benched here on TPU for the Radeon VII, these are the games I plan on picking up to play (or have played) someday and these are the benches I look at:
Divinity Original Sin 2 (want to play)
Ghost Recon Wildlands (played)
GTA V (have, but played very little)
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (want to play)
Rainbow Six Siege (played)
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (have, but haven't played yet)
Strange Brigade (want to play)
Middle Earth: Shadow of War (want to play)

All other game reviews are just icing on the cake. Out of the games listed above, the Radeon VII excels over the 2080 in Strange Brigade and Deus Ex, otherwise it lags behind the 2080 by upwards of 10% or more.

Now I have an idea of what kind of GPU would better benefit me if I were looking to upgrade. The 2080 gives better, overall performance than the Radeon VII in games I'm interested in. I'd go with a 2080. I see no bias here. It's a wide variety of games.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
"Bias towards Nvidia"? I still remember that "EPIC FAIL" the GTX 590 got here.
Man, fanboys are becoming worse and worse in quality.

Processor i7 12700K
Motherboard MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 4400Mhz CL19 1T
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 6700 XT
Storage 970 EVO 250GB|Crucial m4 128GB|MX300 525GB|MX500 1TB|PNY XLR8 2TB|Kingston NV2 2TB|14TB HDD|4TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XG270HU 27" 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design DEFINE R4 Black Pearl Window
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
Keyboard EVGA Z15 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
TPU is for me the king of hardware tests since a long time.
If you google "Radeon VII review" you can have a good laugh (like this one, a 980Ti vs Vega 64 and VII to show how strong VII is :laugh:)
In general, it's same results, Radeon VII struggle to beat a 1080Ti.
Intel please enter the competition to lower the stupid prices :)

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Intel please enter the competition to lower the stupid prices :)

That's a good one. Intel and lower prices in the same sentence. I wouldn't expect anything less than to slot in a head of both of them. Or at least mirror nvidia pricing.

Processor i7 12700K
Motherboard MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 4400Mhz CL19 1T
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 6700 XT
Storage 970 EVO 250GB|Crucial m4 128GB|MX300 525GB|MX500 1TB|PNY XLR8 2TB|Kingston NV2 2TB|14TB HDD|4TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XG270HU 27" 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design DEFINE R4 Black Pearl Window
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
Keyboard EVGA Z15 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
That's a good one. Intel and lower prices in the same sentence. I wouldn't expect anything less than to slot in a head of both of them. Or at least mirror nvidia pricing.
You missed the point.
New challenger arrives, challenges nVidia, prices cuts, consumer profits (ideal world).

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
You missed the point.

I mean, it may look that way. Just remember who went there and is leading the team. Look at Intel's strategy now.

System Name Sham Pc
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
as much as i say intell suck for prices, they hav by far the best rma i have ever had to deal withe. they send you the box you send them the thing they send you a new thing, no bull no arguing no give them a recipt or tell them where or when you bought it. if he serial is in warranty thats all they need to know.
to me the ONE time i had to rma an intell item has made the intel tax justified.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
People that think TPU is biased towards Nvidia tend to be biased towards AMD. It's like a faith system, where a result you do not like must be attributed to falsehood.
Given TPUs preponderance to 'grey market' key resellers, it shows that it's unlikely to be taking backhanders from Nvidia.

As an additional factor, it's clearly obvious more people dislike Nvidias business direction, myself included, whereas I'd argue it's hard to 'hate' on the underdog but that's human nature.

We live in an age of confirmation bias where fanboi's of any side of an issue only want to read what fits their preconceived notions. I do read other sites for some info not available or not always available here, but i have no interest or even understand any reason to use "benchmarks" as a measurement criteria in the context used. It's very easy for a driver author to tweak the benchmark to excel at what the benchmark includes at the expense of things it doesn't. As for business direction, welcome to capitalism. Boards are required by law to prioritize sgarehoilder interests / profits within the confines of the law. They get no points for being "nice guys". The public hammered nVidia for their partner program to their own detriment. Under the program, "parners" would get various nVidia incentives which many of us read as "marketing speak" for "become a partner and when we detect the partner card, we'll loosen up the restrictions in Boost 3:

AMD does play the role of the nice guy being the company that cares about the average Joe. Folks hammer nVidia for the cost of G-Sync because "Freesysnc is free and it's the same thing" which is about as true as AWD is the same as 4WD ... which as anyone who regularly drives in snow or has gone off road will just laugh. With today's upper tier cards, most games are well out of the range < 70 - 80 fps range where Any-Sync shines ... having the option to use MBR technology which requires a hardware module that Freesync does not have is "not the same thing".

I understand that when buying a car, if the model with AC is $200 more, choosing the one without AC cause 'you only need it 30 days a year". I don't understand the argument to justify buying the one without AC when both models are the same price which is what we saw with PhysX. We are now getting the same argument with RTX, you don't think RTX is worth the performance penalty ? Turn it off.

My biggest frustration with AMD GFX is if you continue to promise and don't deliver what everyone was expecting, you're hurting yourself. Gotta get off this train:

1. Prelaunch hype is all [Insert new AMD technology here] is going to change everything. (Fill in HBM, Mantle whatever)

2. Benchmarks "leaked" <cough, cough> showing it beats comparably priced nVidia card in [this one thing]

3. Card is released at price similar to nVidia card and almost as fast using hand picked games ... "but ,,, ooh ooh ... with overclocking it can match nVidia !"

4. Testing of cards post release shows, 1) yeah it is almost as fast in those games, further behind in most others. 2) It needs more power, emits more heat and is louder than competition's cards, 3) It needs a 50 - 100 watt bigger power supply and an extra case fan.

5. Further testing shows not only what we already knew ... nVidia cards can be overclocked too, but also that nVidia cards can be overclocked more, even widening the gap.

6. Pricing drops and now the comparison isn't so bad ... would have been a lot less "ill will" if they'd just started there in the 1st place.

On that last note .... it does seem that nVidia is doing a bit of imitation of AMD ... Since 2xx series, AMD has been very aggressively overclocking the card in the box which is why they jumped to 95C operating temps at that time. That left very little room for manually overclocking with increases in fps averaging 4 - 6%. The green team was almost always in double digits improvements with some breaking 30%. With the Radeon VII (131.0 fps), we saw TPU get 8.2% after manual OC ... it was supposed to compete with the 2080 but TPU managed just 9% with the FE 2080 (169.0) making the 2080 FE 29% faster in the manually overclocked test. The 2070 FE (138.7) is what it should be more properly compared with the 2070 FE OC'd 8.1% giving it a 4.5 % speed advantage.

It would seem that nVidia spoiled expectations with the large boost over 9xx performance such that they chose to release the 2xxx series with far less manual OC ability putting them in the boxes with a pretty aggressive OC as compared to past generations. But as to the business practices, this is Macy's versus Gimbels, Ford versus Chevy, etc. I don't see either being more consumer friendly than the other, they are just playing the cards that were dealt. You do what you can with what you got.

if AMD released the Radeon card at 2070 pricing, the reaction would i think be positive.

Now, how does this affect the OPs issue ... there's two parts of TPUs test procedure that favor AMD:

1. I don't think there's a large % of users here who aren't using MSI AB to OC their cards. I wish there was a way to click on or check a box that showed two different graphs. te default is what we have now ... the optional would be click this and see them compared with their respective OCs. Say for example in the OC page we see that the card being tested OCs 8.2%. Click on the compare OC'd option and that 8.2% is added to the scores in that graph. Now is this valid ? More so than I originally thought I'd imagine. Yes all card scores vary depending on what each game entails, but outside any frame limits, I would think that if a particular game gains 10%, since it's dealing with the same loads before and after the manual OC, gains should not vary a lot. To test each game individually would be to much to ask of the reviewer. It would be nice to see an article where all 23 games in the test suite were tested with the manual OC so we could see just how wide the variance is as a matter of reference.

What I think would be a huge feature is, taking advantage of what I imagine exists ... database with all cards performance for each game would be a "compare" function where you could click to compare the card being reviewed and ask it to add any card which had been tested with that came and same "test system". So for Radeon VII, I'd see a list of say 20 cards and one might pick 5 I wanna see compared. So a table with 7 colums would be on screen .. Game name card in article and the 5 other cards I picked. The deafult view could be at 1440p w/ radio buttons to switch to 1080p and 2160p and default being "out of box" speeds and another pair to pick out of box ormanually overclocked with the latter just being "the math" applied from above. Would be a great tool assuming the assumption holds reasonably close.

2. The cost per dollar thing. To my eyes, choosing of xx80 over a xx70 on a cost per performance barometer can not be made using the cost of the card alone. The entire system is involved in delivering that user experience. So if the 2070 is $550 (and everything else is $1300), then when compared against the 2080 ($790) build the cost ration is not 790 / 550 (44%), it's 2090 / 1850 (+12.9%). To be fair... if it means a 650 PSU instead of a 550 and an extra case fan, then that needs to be allottedfor also.

I see your point. I guess what leaves me off-put is the constant comparison to Nvidia. Which is really my problem. I have no interest in Nvidia or their products...for personal reasons. Thus...I don't really care how other products stack up compared to theirs. I don't care how theirs perform. I don't care how much theirs cost. I don't care if for the same price theirs is better. I don't care if for a lesser price theirs is better. I JUST DO NOT CARE ABOUT NVIDIA. But I realize other people do. And that for a review something usually needs compared to something else to make certain points about it. I just wish it wasn't always a comparison to Nvidia somethings. Is that sensible or reasonable? Probably not. None-the-less...I don't like it.

Long story short...it's me. Not you. And I know that. But I still gotta be me.

That's certainly a valid position ... from your point of view no one could argue differently, but the question then becomes "of what purpose is the review ?" I you want the best performance you can get from a vendor you can live with, then just buy AMDs top card, no need to read a review. No reason to care if it doesn't stack up well. Personally, I tend to be a "hardware whore", the vendor that gves me the best performance, within my budget" gets my buisiness. There are other factors ... from 2002 up till I guess the Z87 / 7xx series era, we were almost exclusively an Asus shop; if a user didn't have a preference, we'd go w/ Asus MoBo and GFX. They almost always had a performance edge, their BIOS was complete, familiar and easy than competition and support was great. Then all that changed. We continued to use a lot of monitors, mice and routers. Now that's changed. Our last RMA took 3 months. Now the only response we get from Asus TS, when we get any are non-responsive tot he question asked. It's like the tech , instead of going thru his 3-ring binder to find the question, and providing the answer is just throwing the binder up in the air and giving us the response on the page that the binder was open to when it landed on the floor. Asus is on our "no buy" list for everything as of this week due to lack of responses with a weird mouse issue and 3 router issues. This was the proverbial last straw.

In order to be prepared for questions when someone wants a new build, I try and keep appraised of strengths and weaknesses. I use the TPU summary charts as a source of an overall performance gradient but when auser has interest only in certain games, will confine the analysis to just those. From that starting point, I look at manual OC results and apply those to the TPU charts. I look at power consumption, noise heat and consider anything which might over ride the performance comparison. Our build philosophy is to never have a repeat customer so we teach folks how to do their own component selection, build the box and maintain it. That means starting with a base build for each budget, then listing oither options for each selection. So a build that say has a Scyther $45 Fuma cooler ... options with equivalent performance that might be considered are these 3 air coolers and thse 3 CLCs, go home, read about their pluses and minus, come back and let's discuss.

I have had favorites... Muskin was my go to source fro RAM for about 20 years .... always top end performance, unrivaled ability to handle crazy OC voltages and TS was just one level below coming to your house. But with DDR$, I have not been impressed with performance or availability and we've parted ways. Humans tend to look at the world strictly from their own Ponit of View (PoV). Henmce the well discussed philosophical question "If a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it, did it make a sound ?" The scientific mind says "of couse it did,, the laws of science are not suspended just because there's no on there to hear it ... he defines sound as something made". The philosopher / humanist says no, ... "since no one heard it, it is of no significance, he defines sound as something heard". So when we have had 1, 2 or even 3 bad experiences with a particular brand, we think of ouselves as significant enough to matter, we aren't ... statistically speaking our experiences are too few to form any reliable conclusion. Look how many folks swear that they will never own another hard drive of a certain brand ...( I had 3 failures !)... and yet, when we look at RMA rates, the differences are insignificant. Last 12 month period for which data available:
  • HGST = 0.975%
  • Seagate = 0.825%
  • Toshiba = 0.930%
  • Western = 1.15%
That being said, every vendor comes out with crap models ... if your Model has over 2.0%, look elsewhere. These were the worst 5
  • 10,00% Seagate Desktop HDD 6 To
  • 6,78% Seagate Enterprise NAS HDD 6 To
  • 5,08% WD Black 3 To
  • 4,70% Toshiba DT01ACA300 3 To
  • 2,95% WD Red 4 To SATA 6Gb/s
In the end the value of a review is the information in it. Not the conclusions, not the recommendations, just the numbers and the cost. Let's say there's someone out there who plays only Witcher 3 and also won't use nVidia. The Radeon VII hits 95.4 fps @ 1440p ... his monitor isn't Freesync or G-Sync but it is equipped wit MBR capability (BenQ Zowie 27 inch 144Hz Gaming Monitor, (Model XL2735). At 95 fps with MBR a radeon VII, he'll have a better experience than an equivalent Freesync Monitor or G-Sync user who doesn't or can't use ULMB ... so all is right with the world and nothing else matters.. For the fellow or gal who is open to more options, they have the option to get 109.2 for the same price. Will they have a noticeably better experience .... I sincerely doubt it. But if they read the review and know a little math ....

a) They will know that the 2080 will be about 57% as loud.
b) They can use a 80 - 100 watt smaller PSU
c) At average USA electric cost they will save about $18 a year, if they live by me, that's about $39
d) They will need 1 less case fan

Perhaps not of interest to everyone, but these are some of the reasons why i read TPU reviews.

Last edited:
Biased would be if only dx11 games were benchmarked on radeon vii review, I myself think that on dx12 radeon vii is a much better card than rtx 2080 and tpu review shows that.

dx12 games reviewd with radeon vii,

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Radeon_VII/11.html

Strange Brigade

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Radeon_VII/25.html

There are only 2 titles with dx12, I myself would want reviews to have half with dx11 and half with dx12, on dx11, radeon vii is garbage.

What they might be complaining is this, on battlefield v tpu used dx11 on guru3d for example they used dx12 and the difference is clearly seen.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Radeon_VII/8.html
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_vii_16_gb_review,11.html

And few other titles tpu tested on dx11 rather than dx12, maybe that is why they are complaining, Shadow Of The Tomb Raider is also on the list.

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
attlefield v tpu used dx11
we used bf1 dx12 and people complained that nobody plays dx12 and the masses actually play dx11, so i switched to dx11

shadow of the tomb raider is tested in dx12, the description text was wrong, fixed now

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
The reviews here are fine with me.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Not only is it not long, but look at the trend:
2015: 3 (but only 5 months, so ~7 annualy)
2016: 15
2017: 7
2018: 3

So RTX and DLSS require DX12?

System Name Sham Pc
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
we used bf1 dx12 and people complained that nobody plays dx12 and the masses actually play dx11, so i switched to dx11

shadow of the tomb raider is tested in dx12, the description text was wrong, fixed now

wouldnt that mean you should also use a 1080p 60hz monitor Budget motherboard quad core intel cpu @3.0-3.6 ghz and 8gb ram because according to steam that is what most people use.

The reviews here are fine with me.
They are fine with me too i trust TPU 100% and appreciate all the hard work W1zzard puts into them. Thing is i worry A LOT and i used to comment a bit on WCCFtech and recently videocardz and they've kinda given me a complex (and totally ruined my tech hobby at one point). people are always saying people are shills or bias or fanboys and I just wanted people to reassure me. The comments on those two sites i have said are just completely toxic and made me extremely depressed at one point. I blocked WCCFtech in my router firewall xD

The community here on TPU is lovely and i can actually get a good discussion about the technology... i know i can be a bit of a fangirl at times (AyyMD:love:) but heyho. Woops I digressed. ^-^

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
As radeon vii is much much better on dx12 than dx11, people, especially fans of amd want their amazing radeon vii on the best scenario possible and that is dx12 games. If you dont do that then is biased for them, if you use only dx12 games you are not biased for them but for nvidia fans is biased, so is pretty easy to see pro nvidia, amd people. Now half, half means its not biased to either side.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
As radeon vii is much much better on dx12 than dx11, people, especially fans of amd want their amazing radeon vii on the best scenario possible and that is dx12 games. If you dont do that then is biased for them, if you use only dx12 games you are not biased for them but for nhvidia fans is biased, so is pretty easy to see pro nvidia, amd people. Now half, half means its not biased to neither side.
Well, people that stop and think for a minute would want a review to represent the ratio of dx11 to dx12 games that are out there in the wild and played by many people.

This gives a good idea of what a card will perform like for people. Nvidia users don’t all play DX11 games only and AMD users don’t play DX12 games only. Neither do either side only ply DX11 games that are optimized for one or the other.

Why? Because gamers want to play games, and we don’t play games based only on the aforementioned criteria. Since we want to know how it performs, we want it tested all around. Sometimes this favors one or the other, but it shouldn’t matter. You know what to expect. And really, the differences are rarely so great that one GPU or another is unable to play most all games.

So, the broad cross section represents the gaming spectrum fairly well.

Wish there were good list to get to see what recent games have most PC sales .... Looking at this list ... was dissappointed to see how few titles that are post 2017 near the top of the list.... (MMOs) mostly not listed ... but it seems the selection criteria is flexible to say the least .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games

1. PUG (42 million)
2. The Forest (5)
3. Rust (5)
4. Stickfight: The Game (4)
5. Cuphead (1)
6. Divinity Original Sin 2 (1)
7. Hollow Knight (1)

2. Would you consider revisiting the card if EKWB or other manufacturer did a full cover water block for the card? (to see if it helped both stock and OC results..)

I don't see it changing much based upon the review temp results, it's only 76C under load, but it wasn't mentioned at what point throttling kicks in. wasn't so long ago, that AMD cards outta the box were hitting 95C

I hope not because that metric is really only good for comparing cards in the same bracket. There are only two possible metrics that really matter. Price and Performance. Cards can have great price to performance and great performance but if it you can't afford it, what good is it? Conversely, a card can have great price to performance and a great price but if it doesn't have the performance you need, what good is it?

To some extent yes .... but to use a car analogy, if 2 cars you are considering are both equal for your top 2 criteria, but .....

a) both accelerate 0 - 60 the same but one is 19.5 mpg and one is 16.0 (one weighs more and has larger, less efficient engine)
b) one requires premium fuel at extra cost, one doesn't
c) one has excessive wind noise, one doesn't (this assumes spouse not in car in both cases) ... just typed that cause wife was reading over my shoulder, and yes i got punched in shoulder
d) one has AC and one doesn't ... yeah, ya don't need it that often, only 2 months of the year, but if both cost the same ....

So, for me anyway, while performance is the 1st criteria, cost sometimes 2nd .... when the 1st 2 don't create a significant difference, worthwhile to look at other things .... for me after those two:

3. OC ability
4. Other features (PhysX, RTX, Shadowplay)
5. Sound levels
6.a Temps under Load OC'd
6.b Heat generation in watts
7. Game Bundles
8.a Power usage (electric cost)
8.b PSU Size

And yes, feature support is certainly valid as a consideration. What McDonalds burger joint has the better deal ? ... the one a mile west with 1/4 pound burger for $2.00 or the one a mile east offering the same burger with free fries ? Ya can't say it's the same because **you** don't eat carbs. The postulation that not all games support a feature is irrelevant. If ya play games and use the feature in only 2, that's a better experience deliverd in 2 games at no extra cost. Again, if a car comes with an AC at no extra cost, is the fact that ya turn it on only in peak summer months make it any less welcome when it's 98F and ya stuck dead in traffic ?

Late to the party again.. I read that review and it doesn't jive with a lot of other reviews from unbiased sources. However W1zzard was using the "press release" driver which has been demonstrated to be problematic. It seems AMD may have jumped the gun on Radeon7's release as the drivers aren't quite retail ready. With a release of more refined drivers, I seems reasonable that Radeon7 will see a measurable improvement.

We have seen this before ... and this I think is to be expected to some extent. The 480 went thru a similar genesis and we saw new drivers that did improve the 480s performance significantly that made it compare better to the 1060, I recall an article here dedicated to that very topic. But like the all to common, "Well Card A overclocked is almost as fast as card B" statement, it fails to take into account that card B can be overclocked too. With the 480 / 1060 comparison, later nvidias driver updates managed to keep the 1060 ahead of the 480, again when both cards were manually overclocked .. this held for the 580 and even the 590 ... again, when all cards were manually overclocked. So perhaps the rush to get it out the door may have resulted in some early conclusions but a) to do that carelessly opens ones self up to bad 1st impressions which are hard to erase and b) I'd wager that the better reults came from the review using the IG demo which driver developers on both sides spend months tweaking future drivers for ... versus the wiz approach of picking a insttance and using it consistently for all cards and c) we have to remember that driver updates have been doing this leapfrog thing since the getgo when 2 cards under consideration are close.... In this case it seems a lot to make up for unless they original was unusually bad. In the recent past, I would have added that since the 7xxx series, AMD aggressively overclocks their cards in the box leaving little extra to gain when OCing manually, but with 2xxx, nVidia seems to have done the same thing with the 2070 and 2080 FE.

Radeon VII OC = 131.0 fps (+ 8.2%)
RTX 2070 FE OC = 138.7.0 fps (+ 8.1%)
RTX 2080 FE OC = 169.0 fps (+ 9.0%)

Well, to be honest, I don't feel like the Radeon VII is a bad card, or that there is a TPU bias towards Nvidia, after seeing the numbers here and on other sites. Another thing I'll add is that JayzTwoCents...

I gave jayz2cents a look many years ago and found many of his conclusions "out there"... especially on water cooling, but since the day he drilled thru his super expensive MoBo to mount a cooler, cutting the the boards circuit traces, he should have been banned from publishing anything.